Nuk Hopkins is lugging that Hail Murray he caught a bit far

14 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Uh . . . "as great as I" is correct. You can tell because it sounds right if you add "am" at the end: "as great as I am." You would never say "... as great as me am" (I hope). 

Everybody who says "as great as me" is wrong.

There are no possessive nouns in the quote you give. 

Not that it's a big deal. Everybody makes mistakes, and this stuff doesn't really matter compared to important things, but it just happens to be my job.

I was going to say this but didn't want to be the grammar police.  And I would have added "did" at the end.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

I love Hopkins but yeah that’s a little too far and too cheesy. I chalk it up to him being overexcited about getting out of Houston 😉

It's been a year since his horse was saddled to give him a ride out of town, Man, how long can you ride a horse?  Even Ed Oliver be getting saddle-sore!

that ain’t the take. Hop has fun and yeah he went way to cheesy on this one. The Texans were WAY wrong for getting rid of him. They’re going to lose their all-star QB now too partly because of that.

The Texans were undoubtedly wrong, wrong, wrong to trade Hopkins, especially for a used hot dog and a bag of donuts.  Hopkins has always been one of those guys you don't have to wonder how great he is 'cuz he'll be sure to tell you, but as Dizzy Dean said "Ain't Braggin' if you Can Back it Up."  I've never heard that he wasn't a great guy in the locker room and a great grinder.  If he has an attitude towards coaching that needed to be managed, well, that's part of the job of a good HC is to manage his best talent and figure out how persuade talent to buy in and work with him, not against him. 

That's why you'll hear Harbaugh say stuff like "Lamar is a captain on this team and if he said that, I don't think that was it but I respect his view" or words to that effect.  He's not gonna get mad, he's gonna go talk to the guy and find out why he thinks what he said and what he thinks should be different.  Worst case his player feels heard, best case he gains some insight he can use for competitive advantage.

I thought Hopkin's interview after the game where he talked about our guys being "dunked on" was a bit cheesy, but Hey, they won.  It was a truly great play.  When two guys with a legit claim to be the best safety duo in the game and a top corner are all right there and fail to stop the completion - they deserve a bit of trash.  And his team went to 6-3 on the strength of that win.

After they went 2-5 to finish the season and missed the playoffs, though, does seem like his focus ought to shift.  Commemorating a single play of three good (at worst) NFL players with a chain and a cemetary seems unbecoming in that circumstance, beyond "trash" into "taking a crap". 

Maybe something else ought to concern him, like the fact that his catch% dipped by 9% finishing the season.  It was good, it just was no longer amazing.  Maybe there's a cause-and-effect.  I'm sure watching Josh put Kyle Van Noy on the ground, had an effect on the determination of other defenders to tackle him, not to show up in a similar film clip.  "Not Today, Buddy" as Joey Bosa said. 

It's not impossible we indirectly owe Hopkins one, if Hyde and the guys put in extra practice that helped Hyde smash Rivers' Hail Mary so decisively into the turf.

If I were betting, I'd bet on Hopkins gets to choose between sitting out and becoming a villain, vs. playing for the Texans.  And people don't see it now, but that's how it's gonna be.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Maybe Texans weren’t that wrong in getting rid of him. Very much a me guy. Not a great teammate. Wish he was an exception but becoming a trend in all sports. And KM is absolutely not a top 10 QB.

And some on this site were unhappy we got consolation prize Diggs.

• Like (+1) 1

I remember after the offseason trades were done - I was happy we got Diggs, but kind of lamented that we didn't go for & get Hopkins. I felt he was a better player and teammate.

So happy to be as wrong as I could be, on both counts.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

And some on this site were unhappy we got consolation prize Diggs.

I didn't view Diggs as a consolation prize as he was also a WR I described with the word "Covet", but before Diggs "went off" this season I did view Hopkins as a better WR. 

Now I'm "all in" on our Stefon.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Unfortunately he has let the stardom get to his head. He used to be quiet and humble, or at least that was how it seemed from the outside. Now he's drinking his own kool-aid.

Yeah, I do wonder if he's succumbed to what McDermott referred to as "The Disease of Me". 

Of course, how a guy comports himself on a show where he was invited likely just to discuss that play, and how he comports himself in the locker room/practice/games, not same thing.

Continually poking a bear with a stick isn't always the best idea.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I didn't view Diggs as a consolation prize as he was also a WR I described with the word "Covet", but before Diggs "went off" this season I did view Hopkins as a better WR. 

Now I'm "all in" on our Stefon.

Yeah, I do wonder if he's succumbed to what McDermott referred to as "The Disease of Me". 

Of course, how a guy comports himself on a show where he was invited likely just to discuss that play, and how he comports himself in the locker room/practice/games, not same thing.

Continually poking a bear with a stick isn't always the best idea.

I couldn’t agree more with these statements. I’ve played devils advocate by somewhat defending Hopkins on this topic. I fully agree that it could come across as selfish and not team oriented. I also understand the dude is being interviewed to promote the play, himself, and the league. Players look out for themselves because there is a financial element to this game. Self promotion can earn athletes money when they market themselves as a product. Athletes marketing themselves can be calculated moves that also promotes the league. Baseball struggles from having a lack of players with personality and ability to promote themselves. Sure, it’s all very silly, but it doesn’t necessarily say much about Hopkins the teammate imo. 

Edited by SirAndrew

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess that's what you think about when your team finishes 8-8 and you aren't working hard getting ready for playoffs

I thought the comment about "dunking on them" was a bit trash but Whateves, he made the play.

Cemetary though?  🙄

I could get tired of this guy

Low class comment for sure. Maybe there is a reason the guy was traded besides his on field play.

3 hours ago, Dr. K said:

Uh . . . "as great as I" is correct. You can tell because it sounds right if you add "am" at the end: "as great as I am." You would never say "... as great as me am" (I hope). 

Everybody who says "as great as me" is wrong.

There are no possessive nouns in the quote you give. 

Not that it's a big deal. Everybody makes mistakes, and this stuff doesn't really matter compared to important things, but it just happens to be my job. 

I’ll take your word for it, but the fact that he left out “did” makes it sound very awkward.   How often do you hear someone says “He’s

not as a great as I” as opposed to “He’s not as great as I am.”  That latter would seem to be correct.

Maybe I’m just biased from his smugness in the post game interview, but hearing him say that didn’t sound correct as I was assuming it some kind of error

Edited by JohnNord

The era of "look at me" instead of "look at us".

8 minutes ago, Buffalo ill said:

All these Karens getting mad over something so silly.  Our dbs are solid, but deserve every bit of sass they get for that inexcusable play.

Mad?

Could you point out where anyone is mad? People are pointing out Hopkins coming off as a fool. I'm pretty damned sure Bills fans are completely over that game and play.

13 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

If I’m him Watson, my list to tell the Texans is the Dolphins, Bears, Rams, 49ers, Steelers, and Colts (which would never happen in division).  These teams with a QB like him would immediately be a contender.  There are different strengths to each of these teams.  The one unfortunately that has the most to offer is the Fins.  The Fins could make this work if they gave both #1’s and Tua.  In essence three #1’s.   Since the fins had 11 picks last year, and 10 picks this year, and all of those free agents last year, it would be a good deal for both sides.  I’m not writing this like I want it to happen as I hate them, but it’s the most logical where each side gets something they want.

Being in the situation where you have to trade Watson is bad enough, but do you make it worse by trading for Tua? I'd almost rather take more draft picks then waste a few more years on a QB that's no lock to be great.

2 hours ago, Buffalo ill said:

All these Karens getting mad over something so silly.  Our dbs are solid, but deserve every bit of sass they get for that inexcusable play.

Strongly disagree w/ that.

Our DB's played it perfectly - but there is no defense for a perfect throw & catch.  Think Daniel's kick at the end of "Karate Kid."

Hopkins looks bad saying this, imo.  It's the classic "he won his Super Bowl."  The Bills are concerned about winning championships.

I'm sincerely beginning to dislike this guy. He's absolutely devoid of humility. I've seen clips of older players who were great in their day go and compliment him like, "You the best in the game, dawg" and his response was a cocky, "I know." There's a line between confidence and arrogance.

As far as a lucky catch goes, eh, whatever. Seems to me like he'll be one of them great seasonal players who never does a thing in the playoffs. He should go read Dion's Players Tribune article about how they felt after losing that game. Cards treated it like a Super Bowl victory and then proceeded to lose almost every single game afterwards. And now their star player is focused on his one big play he had all year and not about how he can help his team get over the hump and start competing for championships.

I mean, to each their own and all that. Arrogance just irritates me. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 4

I mean it was an awesome play and he’s a beast. But in the big scheme of things, it was pretty pointless. 

21 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I'm sincerely beginning to dislike this guy. He's absolutely devoid of humility. I've seen clips of older players who were great in their day go and compliment him like, "You the best in the game, dawg" and his response was a cocky, "I know." There's a line between confidence and arrogance.

As far as a lucky catch goes, eh, whatever. Seems to me like he'll be one of them great seasonal players who never does a thing in the playoffs. He should go read Dion's Players Tribune article about how they felt after losing that game. Cards treated it like a Super Bowl victory and then proceeded to loses almost every single game afterwards. And now their star player is focused on his one big play he had all year and not about how he can help his team get over the hump and start competing for championships.

I mean, to each their own and all that. Arrogance just irritates me. 

Yeah, I like non cocky athletes like Jim Kelly.