Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

9 minutes ago, FormerlyPT5P said:

I know I wouldn’t like it if when I went into his office he would proselytize and demand that we pray together as reports have indicated. That is some serious tone deaf work-place bullcrap. I don’t know how anyone can function in that kind of environment.

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Depending on the quality of the picks and the starters, that feels light. I think most teams would be all over that. If for example, for the Jets, that means #2 pick, a future 1st, 2 future 2nds, Tarell Basham, and Folorunso Fatukasi, they'd probably say yes in a heartbeat. If the defensive players are Quinnen Williams and Marcus Maye instead, maybe not.

Or if it's a team like Washington offering #19 and a future 1st, the 2nds, one of their DTs, and one other defensive player (obviously not Chase Young), I think they'd do it a heartbeat and be thankful Houston came down from the original reported asking price.

It does sound reasonable although If your the team making the trade does it go from badly managed to train wreck. Watson can still turn the destination down making this a harder nut to crack IMO.  I think this is a great opportunity for the right team. Dome or fair weather teams need apply IMO. (The Jets would not be my 1st choice If I'm Watson) Is this meant to entice the fish?

Edited by Figster

On 1/30/2021 at 10:46 AM, bills6969 said:

this guy is a total ass-clown.   I’d give a slight edge to Allen because he 1) is younger and has more upside,  2) has a better arm.  The only valid argument for trading Allen for Watson is that Watson already has signed his big contract (32m aav),  and will probably be cheaper than Allen’s. Needless to say these guys are in the same class, so it would not be a “no-brainer” as this doofus suggests.  He’s just trying to drive his personal agenda of hate against Josh Allen I guess.

He gets a lot of air time because of his all In stances and on camera belligerence. It’s more a sad testament to what passes for entertainment than anything else. Has a tabloid level of understanding of the actual game. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well...That was awkward

5 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

If allowed? Is Watson going to try and use Covid-19 as an excuse to get out of being fined?

It was poorly written.  What I think he meant to say is that "If teams are allowed to have in-person organized team activities, Deshaun Watson will not report per his agent #DavidMulugheta"

Then David Mulugheta himself showed up and said "um, nope, wrong!"

Whoopsie!

• Like (+1) 1

I get the whole not being happy with a situation, and Watson definitely has a legitimate gripe to be upset.

I'm not sure as a team I want to trade for someone who signed a contract less than a year ago (Obviously when he was already unhappy) and then chooses to hold said team hostage because he didn't get his way.

If it's your only option to get a QB I get it, otherwise I would think about it long and hard. Might be you jumping through hoops to please him to avoid a hostage situation. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

He's been sack prone his entire career then. You can't put it 100% on the line. It's also his style of play. 

Yea he holds the ball and tries to make a play when it breaks down rather than throwing it away... Wilson is similar in that regard... but Houston's line has been responsible for 80% of his sacks. They are awful. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

In college he played on a great team against poor competition until playoff time.

True.  But if he was still taking a lot of sacks...

5 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

He gone....

Let him do it.  Recoup the money they paid him and the team maybe gets the 2nd or 1st overall pick instead of 3rd.

Assuming this isn't another lie being put out that his agent needs to correct.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Let him do it.  Recoup the money they paid him and the team maybe gets the 2nd or 1st overall pick instead of 3rd.

Not a bad idea.   Texans actually would fare quite well in a scenario where they just let Watson sit out...

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/30/2021 at 10:46 AM, bills6969 said:

this guy is a total ass-clown.   I’d give a slight edge to Allen because he 1) is younger and has more upside,  2) has a better arm.  The only valid argument for trading Allen for Watson is that Watson already has signed his big contract (32m aav),  and will probably be cheaper than Allen’s. Needless to say these guys are in the same class, so it would not be a “no-brainer” as this doofus suggests.  He’s just trying to drive his personal agenda of hate against Josh Allen I guess.

I'd ask Nick Wright - would you trade your wife for a hot women you didn't know?  

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's a threat.  I'm not sure when anything occurs that he'd actually get fined for, but there's plenty of time til then.

• Like (+1) 1

There is no scenario in which I would trade Josh Allen. 

Football is a game that is so dependent on chemistry and team culture. It's not the NBA or NHL where you're one of a few guys on the court, and a supremely talented player can elevate a team in the way that having the best center in NFL history on a bad team won't. 

Watson is no upgrade over Allen, in my book. Both are exciting young QBs. Also, you never know how a player will mesh with a new team. 

The Bills need to focus on acquiring 350 pound men with anger issues to play OL/DL. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Not a bad idea.   Texans actually would fare quite well in a scenario where they just let Watson sit out...

They'd fair well financially. But the optics and PR are pretty bad from a fan's perspective. They might be mad at Watson for a little bit, but it's only a matter of time until McNair/Easterbe make other horrible moves and everyone realizes again that it is all their fault.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They'd fair well financially. But the optics and PR are pretty bad from a fan's perspective. They might be mad at Watson for a little bit, but it's only a matter of time until McNair/Easterbe make other horrible moves and everyone realizes again that it is all their fault.

Idk....if I were a Texans fan I’d be furious if houston traded him.  FURIOUS.  Top 5 QB locked up and traded for a handful of hit or miss picks which they can hopefully draft a QB that’s 75% of the QB Watson is.

imagine if the Bills traded Diggs because he said he wanted 22 mill a year and they had no intention of paying him that much.  Then Josh allen signed his extension....- year later he demands a trade.  The only difference here is the hc and GM situation. As a fan, that doesn’t dilute your love of the player.  Watson is a god to Texans fans.  They don’t want him to go.  I asked my 3 Texans friends what they would do if they were Caserio, all 3 said let him sit out, no chance they would trade him.  

that said, I know they have a business to run and this predicament puts the teams future in flux, possibly for a long period of time.  Tough choice.....but I would make sure I played every card before I traded a superstar like Watson and that might not be until after next season

18 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Yup.  Have another horrible record and this time get a good pick that they actually get to keep. 

17 minutes ago, dneveu said:

It's a threat.  I'm not sure when anything occurs that he'd actually get fined for, but there's plenty of time til then.

If he sits out activities, training camp, pre-season and games, he can be fined a ton of money.

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Idk....if I were a Texans fan I’d be furious if houston traded him.  FURIOUS.  Top 5 QB locked up and traded for a handful of hit or miss picks which they can hopefully draft a QB that’s 75% of the QB Watson is.

imagine if the Bills traded Diggs because he said he wanted 22 mill a year and they had no intention of paying him that much.  Then Josh allen signed his extension....- year later he demands a trade.  The only difference here is the hc and GM situation. As a fan, that doesn’t dilute your love of the player.  Watson is a god to Texans fans.  They don’t want him to go.  I asked my 3 Texans friends what they would do if they were Caserio, all 3 said let him sit out, no chance they would trade him.  

that said, I know they have a business to run and this predicament puts the teams future in flux, possibly for a long period of time.  Tough choice.....but I would make sure I played every card before I traded a superstar like Watson and that might not be until after next season

Not apples to apples at all tho.

You need to be thinking back to the Ralph/Russ Bills. And then magnify the level of incompetence and dishonesty by about 1000X.

If I'm a Texans fans, I dont like the team trading Watson, but I'm more upset with the FO that created the situation that pushed Watson to want to be traded. They can be mad at Watson, or the trade, but the problems will persist well after he is gone. And that will ultimately prove that he is right in wanting a trade.

12 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Deshaun Watson is taking a stand against disingenuous NFL owners. It could change the league.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/02/01/deshaun-watson-trade-cal-mcnair/

Great link. Good article.

In truth, the Texans’ behavior this season tells us plenty about the NFL’s preset dehumanization, even if this franchise is particularly unstable, cycling through star players, general managers, coaches, media relations executives. In March, former coach Bill O’Brien traded mesmerizing wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona for a cactus and a Grand Canyon day pass. Hopkins wasn’t an invaluable superstar to O’Brien; the coach just saw him as an asset with an attitude. O’Brien is back in college as the Alabama offensive coordinator now.

The Texans have been dysfunctional since Watson arrived in 2017. Through it all, he kept the franchise relevant and became one of the league’s best quarterbacks. Before this season succumbed to a 4-12 disaster, Watson had guided Houston to a 24-13 record and two playoff appearances as a starter. In September, the franchise signed him to a four-year, $156 million contract extension that included $74.9 million guaranteed, making him the league’s second-highest-paid player.

Five months later, Watson wants to be as far away from the Texans as he can get. Refrain from considering him disloyal or spoiled. He’s wise to give up hope.

Yep.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You need to be thinking back to the Ralph/Russ Bills. And then magnify the level of incompetence and dishonesty by about 1000X.

If I'm a Texans fans, I dont like the team trading Watson, but I'm more upset with the FO that created the situation that pushed Watson to want to be traded. They can be mad at Watson, or the trade, but the problems will persist well after he is gone. And that will ultimately prove that he is right in wanting a trade.

It wouldn’t change my love for the player.  It happened to me when I was a kid.  Joe Cribbs was my favorite player.  He left because of Ralph.   When he came back from the USFL and joined the Niners, I became a short lived niner fan.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea he holds the ball and tries to make a play when it breaks down rather than throwing it away... Wilson is similar in that regard... but Houston's line has been responsible for 80% of his sacks. They are awful. 

So has Wilson's lines.  I don't think either of them prefers to be constantly scrambling from D-line jailbreaks.  If Wilson always threw it away, they would never get beyond 8-8.

3 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

He's been sack prone his entire career then. You can't put it 100% on the line. It's also his style of play. 

Mahomes plays like that.  Is he "sack prone" too?  Josh runs around a lot and holds on the ball without throwing it away....is he sack prone?  How about a speedy improvisor like Murray?  Sack prone?

No.  They had 22, 26 and 27 sacks, respectively.  Watson's O-line stinks.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

It wouldn’t change my love for the player.  It happened to me when I was a kid.  Joe Cribbs was my favorite player.  He left because of Ralph.   When he came back from the USFL and joined the Niners, I became a short lived niner fan.  

Cribbs wasn’t the same player after he left Buffalo. I always liked him but he had a big problem staying healthy and I think that was one of the main factors on why Wilson didn’t want to pay him

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So has Wilson's lines.  I don't think either of them prefers to be constantly scrambling from D-line jailbreaks.  If Wilson always threw it away, they would never get beyond 8-8.

Agree I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Cribbs wasn’t the same player after he left Buffalo. I always liked him but he had a big problem staying healthy and I think that was one of the main factors on why Wilson didn’t want to pay him

He was a great back up until he went to SF. He led the usfl in rushing yards in his first year in the league. He was leading the league in rushing in his second year and then stopped playing and went back to the nfl.  

regardless of how good he ended up being long term, my point was, I was pissed at the Bills for letting him go because he had a beef (and lawsuit) with the owner.  They could have paid him.  Instead, they were a laughing stock, going from 8-8 in 1983 to back to back 2-14 seasons without him.  

38 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

But those first two years in 80 and 81 Cribbs was to those teams what Thurman was to the early 90's teams.  I still think that 80 team would have gone to and maybe won the Super Bowl that year. Unfortunately Ferguson played the playoff game vs SD on one leg. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He was a great back up until he went to SF. He led the usfl in rushing yards in his first year in the league. He was leading the league in rushing in his second year and then stopped playing and went back to the nfl.  

regardless of how good he ended up being long term, my point was, I was pissed at the Bills for letting him go because he had a beef (and lawsuit) with the owner.  They could have paid him.  Instead, they were a laughing stock, going from 8-8 in 1983 to back to back 2-14 seasons without him.  

The Bills allowed 60 QB sacks for an NFL record at the time 554 yards in 1984 suggesting the troubles had more to do with Oline then RB IMO.

57 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Mahomes plays like that.  Is he "sack prone" too?  Josh runs around a lot and holds on the ball without throwing it away....is he sack prone?  How about a speedy improvisor like Murray?  Sack prone?

No.  They had 22, 26 and 27 sacks, respectively.  Watson's O-line stinks.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't see how anyone can definitively say it is all the lines fault or even divvy out some sort of percentage of blame. I'm guessing the truth is somewhere closer to the middle. 

I think Josh took a lot of sacks his first two years because 1. the line and skill players around him were not as good and 2. he became a better QB. better at recognizing pressure, avoiding pressure etc.

Also, in the case of Mahomes and Allen, I think they bail out of the pocket a lot more. Rolling right or left or back pedaling. End result is avoiding more sacks. When I watch Wilson and Watson, they don't do this as often is my impression. They like to hang in the pocket more often. This isn't necessarily a bad thing or a deal breaker. Both QB's are still extremely efficient. But I could see how it leads to more sacks.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

The Bills allowed 60 QB sacks for an NFL record at the time 554 yards in 1984 suggesting the troubles had more to do with Oline then RB IMO.

They carried over the same OL minus RT, where they actually upgraded in Joe Devlin over Justin Cross.

Regardless.....The Bills spent a first rd pick on his replacement and won 4 games over the 2 years he was gone.  Not Ralph’s finest moment imo

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Greg S said:

But those first two years in 80 and 81 Cribbs was to those teams what Thurman was to the early 90's teams.  I still think that 80 team would have gone to and maybe won the Super Bowl that year. Unfortunately Ferguson played the playoff game vs SD on one leg. 

No guts, no glory.

I would have liked to seen what a two legged Fergy could have done that year. 

If the Houston owner really did promise Watson that he would have some say into the GM hiring, then he is a complete idiot, and his team deserves to be as dysfunctional as can be.

I'm not sure what is worse, that he made the promise, or reneged on it?  What a clown show! 😂

Edited by BTB

5 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

He gone....

He is willing to sit it out until week 10 and then play to get his accumulated season with perhaps an injury like Plantars Fakeitis so he does not need to play more games.

Texans will need to fit his remaining salary under cap meaning they may need to cut some players whose salary is guarenteed.

All so Watson can keep his heavy-dollar-sign_1f4b2.pngigning bonuheavy-dollar-sign_1f4b2.pngfor an extension he willingly signed. 

1 hour ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Josh Rosen 2.0. 

Josh Rosen 1.5. 

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Tagovailoa performed admirably when thrust into the starting role in 2020. In 10 games, Tagovailoa completed 64.1 percent of his passes with 11 touchdowns against five interceptions

Performed admirably?  He was carried by rest of team.  Note stat quoted did not include number of pass yards or throws. Sounds like article written by agent.

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No need to magnify anything.

Then again, I am 99% pro-management anti-union, and this Deshaun Watson case sure as hell does not fit into the 1%. Let him stay home.

• Like (+1) 1