Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

PFT, The Athletic, Peter King and SI all reported he had dinner with Cal McNair in December and was promised he would be consulted in advance of both the GM and HC hires. Now in fairness I think a QB has no real role to play in a GM hire. I see the argument on the HC because the two are going to have to work together extremely closely but a GM? See no purpose in involving your QB in that. But that is what Cal McNair promised. He was stupid to promise it but when you do that and then don't deliver... well people are gonna think you are not trustworthy.

So Watson's agent told a bunch of mouthpieces that he wanted to shill for him that Watson would be "consulted" before the guys were hired?

What exactly does "consult" mean in the context?   Input?  Veto?   How do you know he wasn't "consulted" on Caserio or that his opinion was just taken into account and overruled leading to a feeling that he was lied to?  

And like you said,  there is no reason for Watson to be involved in the GM choice,  what would he know about THAT job other than maybe wanting hire his own agent as the GM.......which is something that has happened recently in MLB.

And Watson submitted his trade demand long before Culley was hired so your timeline is off by weeks in that regard. 

Like I said there are a lot of ways and reasons that this is just BS spread by Watson's agent.

I'm not sure how closely you follow US sports other than football but this is pretty much standard agent work in MLB and the NBA to try to get a player to more immediately greener pastures.

• Disagree 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Like I said.......you dudes need to get some focus factor......you got C.R.A.F.T..........this story was discussed ad nauseam on TSW and you practically live here.:doh:

From Sports Illustrated:

"Team president Russ Brandon also texted Ryan the next day: “The owner likes red wine. ... “I'm not a red wineguy,” Ryan says, “but that day I drank red wine."

It would help then if you linked that article instead.  Because I don't recall any discussion about Brandon having Rex get Pegs drunk so that he would hire him.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Is there language in the contract he agreed to & signed that allows him to demand a trade if he believes the owner isn’t trustworthy? If so, I have no problem at all with him taking this stance.

The contract he agreed to & signed doesn't say he "can't" demand a trade for any reason. Duh.

• Haha (+1) 1

So Watson's agent told a bunch of mouthpieces that he wanted to shill for him that Watson would be "consulted" before the guys were hired?

What exactly does "consult" mean in the context?   Input?  Veto?   How do you know he wasn't "consulted" on Caserio or that his opinion was just taken into account and overruled leading to a feeling that he was lied to?  

And like you said,  there is no reason for Watson to be involved in the GM choice,  what would he know about THAT job other than maybe wanting hire his own agent as the GM.......which is something that has happened recently in MLB.

And Watson submitted his trade demand long before Culley was hired so your timeline is off by weeks in that regard. 

Like I said there are a lot of ways and reasons that this is just BS spread by Watson's agent.

I'm not sure how closely you follow US sports other than football but this is pretty much standard agent work in MLB and the NBA to try to get a player to more immediately greener pastures.

dang never seen someone bend over backwards this far to defend incompetents like mcnair and easterby. They remind you of yourself maybe?

Mcnair confirmed exactly what the agent “fed” to the mouthpieces, chief.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think being a "jesus freak" makes you any more or less able to run a successful franchise.... I think being such frauds that they have unnecessarily alienated their franchise Quarterback does though.... I don't think Deshaun wants out because they are religious. He wants out because they have behaved in such a way that he no longer trusts a word that comes out of their mouth. And from the reports on Easterby I'm not surprised. For a man of God he certainly seems to have a real machiavellian side to his character.

He wants to get out because he signed a contract with a signing bonus rather than do 1 year contracts like Kirk Cousins and is trying to reap benefits of keeping signing bonus.

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

dang never seen someone bend over backwards this far to defend incompetents like mcnair and easterby. They remind you of yourself maybe?

Mcnair confirmed exactly what the agent “fed” to the mouthpieces, chief.

No, he did not.:doh:

He simply said that he had texted with Watson and that Watson wasn't happy with him and essentially that he "apologized if he offended him". 

That's it.    He never said he broke a promise to Watson.

Which sounds a lot like Watson was a bit delusional in thinking that he was going to be allowed to pick the teams next GM.

• Disagree 1

39 minutes ago, Doc said:

You linked a story about them drinking when they got the call for the Shady trade.  Talk about an even shorter memory...

And I'm sorry for you if you felt "embarrassed" by it.  One would think by your posts you'd be tougher than that.  I guess not. :lol:

:lol:

Correct here's the story from the hiring:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/04/15/rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-new-york-jets

Down near the bottom.

Brandon advised Ryan to bring some of that red stuff that @eball drinks from the box every night to the second interview.    

Methinks some of you guys need to lay off the ol' milk of amnesia............I don't think you can call yourself a Bills fan from that era if you don't remember this story............it got a ton of mileage in the wake of both Rex and Brandon's firings.

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Correct here's the story from the hiring:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/04/15/rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-new-york-jets

Down near the bottom.

Brandon advised Ryan to bring some of that red stuff that @eball drinks from the box every night to the second interview.    

Methinks some of you guys need to lay off the ol' milk of amnesia............I don't think you can call yourself a Bills fan from that era if you don't remember this story............it got a ton of mileage in the wake of both Rex and Brandon's firings.

That's better.  Now...was there a thread here about it?  Because I know I never read that story.  And I wouldn't have wanted to because I didn't want Rex and would rather they hired an offensive-minded coach and kept Schwartz.

And I'm not sure how Rex being told to bring a nice bottle of red wine to his 2nd interview meant they were drunk.  But...OK.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I may have a terrible memory, I may not have a terrible memory.  But I can quote what you just posted:

Brandon had Rex get Pegs liquored up to accelerate the hiring process.........remember the whole "get this bottle of wine" story?........and then shortly after the hiring they were all boozing it up on the yacht when the call came in to Whaley offering them McCoy.   Got so liquored up they sealed the deal without talking to Shady and his agent first.

Lesson:  Don't drink and drive your franchise into mediocrity.

Couple bottles of booze cost Pegs $50M in guaranteed money.

Pegs traded his first wife in for his secretary....half her age.....so I wasn't necessarily surprised that he would hire a, shall we say..... "self-indulgent", guy like Rex Ryan.

But the whole "man of faith" 180 hiring of McD after previously choosing a guy who was into watching his wife do foot stuff on other dudes......that was a very amusing turn of events and first choice of words.

The link you posted is about where the group were located when the enquiry about trading McCoy came through.

It says nothing about the Brandon/Rex/Pegula "hiring process"

It says nothing about Brandon having Rex "get Pegs liquored up to accelerate the hiring process...

Bringing someone a bottle of wine as a gift does not equate to "getting liquored up" for most adult males (says nothing about whether the recipient drank it), and even if he did, unless he drank it all himself while everyone else watched, it's not very "liquored up" when the bottle is shared among 5 or 6 people.

The story says they were on the yacht when the McCoy trade enquiry came through, and drinking wine is mentioned.  Maybe they were drunk, maybe they each had 2 glasses, which again, is an amount most grown men can drink without being described as "boozing it up" or "got so liquored up that they....".  The story makes neither point.

Creative piece of writing on your part, with a "yellow journalism/shock jock" vibe.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I may have a terrible memory, I may not have a terrible memory.  But I can quote what you just posted:

The link you posted is about where the group were located when the enquiry about trading McCoy came through.

It says nothing about the Brandon/Rex/Pegula "hiring process"

It says nothing about Brandon having Rex "get Pegs liquored up to accelerate the hiring process...

Bringing someone a bottle of wine as a gift does not equate to "getting liquored up" for most adult males (says nothing about whether the recipient drank it), and even if he did, unless he drank it all himself while everyone else watched, it's not very "liquored up" when the bottle is shared among 5 or 6 people.

The story says they were on the yacht when the McCoy trade enquiry came through, and drinking wine is mentioned.  Maybe they were drunk, maybe they each had 2 glasses, which again, is an amount most grown men can drink without being described as "boozing it up" or "got so liquored up that they....".  The story makes neither point.

Creative piece of writing on your part, with a "yellow journalism/shock jock" vibe.

Here's another piece of creative writing for you:

The night before Russ Brandon was planning to announce the cancellation of the "Toronto series" and take all the credit for it........he went to a local establishment and was overheard drunkenly spilling the beans by nearby listeners.

The next morning he awoke to find that the local media had reported the story and was furiously trying to figure out who leaked the story and making threats about limiting access to the media etc..:lol:

Good ol' milk of amnesia.

I don't know how many people you've hired but it's not a great idea for the parties involved to drink at a job interview.   Gifts.......also weird and unnecessary.......especially for a second interview.   And if you think a non-red-wine drinker in Ryan was advised to bring a random "red wine" to the interview by an unscrupulous club president with the idea in mind that the billionaire TPegs was going to put it in his private collection..........well frankly that just seems a bit naive.

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't know how many people you've hired

Correct

it's not a great idea for the parties involved to drink at a job interview.   Gifts.......also weird and unnecessary.......especially for a second interview.

Since I've never had occasion to interview or be interviewed on a billionaire's private yacht, I have no idea what etiquette might apply, but if I were invited to someone's private home for a "meet and greet" (which happens sometimes as an informal job interview or follow on to a job interview), I would bring a "host(ess) gift" (usually wine or chocolates, flowers seem too personal).

And if you think a non-red-wine drinker in Ryan was advised to bring a random "red wine" to the interview by an unscrupulous club president with the idea in mind that the billionaire TPegs was going to put it in his private collection..........well frankly that just seems a bit naive.

My understanding is that it wasn't a "random bottle of wine".  It was a specific wine Brandon advised Ryan to bring.  The point remains that bringing a bottle of wine does not automatically mean Pegula will immediately uncork and consume it prior to concluding whatever hiring discussions he wished to conclude.

And then the point remains that a standard 750 ml bottle of wine contains about 6 4 oz glasses of wine, and when served among 4 or 5 people does not, to most grown men, constitute:

Brandon had Rex get Pegs liquored up to accelerate the hiring process

nor did your link actually provide any information suggesting that's what happened.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Correct

Since I've never had occasion to interview or be interviewed on a billionaire's private yacht, I have no idea what etiquette might apply, but if I were invited to someone's private home for a "meet and greet" (which happens sometimes as an informal job interview or follow on to a job interview), I would bring a "host(ess) gift" (usually wine or chocolates, flowers seem too personal).

My understanding is that it wasn't a "random bottle of wine".  It was a specific wine Brandon advised Ryan to bring.  The point remains that bringing a bottle of wine does not automatically mean Pegula will immediately uncork and consume it prior to concluding whatever hiring discussions he wished to conclude.

And then the point remains that a standard 750 ml bottle of wine contains about 6 4 oz glasses of wine, and when served among 4 or 5 people does not, to most grown men, constitute:

nor did your link actually provide any information suggesting that's what happened.

OHHHH suddenly you remember.....

As you know I most often find your football (and CA agriculture;)) takes to often be :rolleyes:..........this is one of those cases.

I'll keep referencing people I trust for information.........there won't always be links........but I have no problem with you calling it fake news if there isn't said link.  

As I've said for years.......no awards for being right on TSW.🥂

OHHHH suddenly you remember.....

Suddenly I remember what?  The issue is whether (as you claimed):

Brandon had Rex get Pegs liquored up to accelerate the hiring process

I didn't remember that.  You didn't provide any evidence to support that, despite providing a link you called out to me as saying it did.

As you know I most often find your football (and CA agriculture;)) takes to often be :rolleyes:..........this is one of those cases.

I don't spend time considering what you might or might not think of me or anything I say.  So no, wouldn't claim I know that. 

Wouldn't surprise me though; would be entirely consistent with your creative writing in this thread and the "emoji litter" you use as a substitute for actual response or rebuttal when someone has actually made a point you can't refute factually, like pointing out that a standard 750 ml bottle of wine and 5 adults does not exactly constitute evidence of an "unscrupulous" plot to "get Pegs liquored up"

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Are there any seats available for the @BADOLBILZ "Let Me Tell You Why I Know Everything and You Know Nothing," seminar?

These are my favorite.

I can't wait till the part where he tells everyone that everyone who's ever met him loves him.

Oh, oh, oh!!!   (in my best Horseshack voice) ... and I really want to hear about how no one is a real Bills fan unless they have season tickets and go to every home game.

Man ... I hope I can get in.  I LOVE to be educated by the all-knowing!!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Are there any seats available for the @BADOLBILZ "Let Me Tell You Why I Know Everything and You Know Nothing," seminar?

These are my favorite.

I can't wait till the part where he tells everyone that everyone who's ever met him loves him.

Oh, oh, oh!!!   (in my best Horseshack voice) ... and I really want to hear about how no one is a real Bills fan unless they have season tickets and go to every home game.

It can be very tiresome......

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Every time I see this thread getting hot I assume it’s actually related to the topic... how foolish of me.

Nah, just yet another thread in which @BADOLBILZ makes s-h-I-t up, insults and demeans those who dispute his “creative writing”, and gets his fingers stuck on the emoji keyboard. Nothing to see here. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

These are my favorite.

Much like Groundhogs Day every Feb, TBD celebrates an annual tradition to kick off the offseason by letting @BADOLBILZ out of his hole and counting the emojis.

More than 10 means we're drafting another CB in the 1st round again.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Like I said.......you dudes need to get some focus factor......you got C.R.A.F.T..........this story was discussed ad nauseam on TSW and you practically live here.:doh:

From Sports Illustrated:

"Team president Russ Brandon also texted Ryan the next day: “The owner likes red wine. ... “I'm not a red wineguy,” Ryan says, “but that day I drank red wine."

You’re combining 2 separate quotes. The quote about bringing red wine was for the 2nd interview. The quote about Rex drinking red wine was from the day they traded for Shady.

I think you know what everyone wanted proof of was Brandon and Rex getting the Pegula’s drunk before Rex was hired. Bringing a bottle of red wine as a gift for people who collect wine does not automatically equate to Rex getting the Pegulas plastered to expedite the hiring process.

We all knew Rex brought wine. You made it sound like you knew for a fact they got drunk on that wine before Rex was hired. I am not saying that it didn’t happen, but I have never seen that detail reported.

• Like (+1) 2

For the people harping on the precedent Watson would set by forcing his way out, Russell Wilson appears to be doing the very same right now in Seattle. And I suspect he'll succeed. With regard to a small number of superstar QBs, this is the direction the NFL is headed, like it or not.  I know most in this thread hate the thought of this, but in this case, a tired cliche applies: it is what it is.  

• Like (+1) 1

The moral of the thread is that it's VERY easy to draw conclusions.(and to draw a sewing circle of TSW bitties into a thread)

Jesus Freaks? 

Cult-like atmosphere?

Broken promises?

Credible sources? 

The simplest explanation is usually the right one.

4-12 season + no first round pick + no cap space + regime change = Deshaun wants to play somewhere else

Ignoring the fact that "credible sources" aren't saying he will waive his no trade clause so the cult can trade him to the commune with the most produce to offer.....among other things........ is irrelevant when you choose the much less likely,  nonsensical  explanations.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

For the people harping on the precedent Watson would set by forcing his way out, Russell Wilson appears to be doing the very same right now in Seattle. And I suspect he'll succeed. With regard to a small number of superstar QBs, this is the direction the NFL is headed, like it or not.  I know most in this thread hate the thought of this, but in this case, a tired cliche applies: it is what it is.  

Watson for Wilson? 

I wonder if NFL QB's are starting to take control of the league. They own the league the same way NBA stars do but they never really use their power. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Watson for Wilson? 

Apparently, Vegas odds give the Raiders the best chance of landing him!

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Watson for Wilson? 

I wonder if NFL QB's are starting to take control of the league. They own the league the same way NBA stars do but they never really use their power. 

It would be an ultimate irony, right? The league made the decision to make the NFL all about the QB (they have succeeded), and this is what they get!

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Funny, I haven’t heard any crying about Carson Wentz trying to force the Eagles to trade him...

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Big difference between QB's well into their 30's like Wilson and Stafford wanting to change teams and one who is still in the window of his rookie contract.

If all parties played until age 40 you are talking about 15 years worth of value versus 7.

I know you follow baseball so basically this is the equivalent of trading your superstar young player with 6 years of team control versus trading the 30 year old with a lot of mileage on him.

You are right........it's not coming though........it's here.   Watching Tom Brady hand pick his destination to the most talented roster he could find will only embolden older vet QB's whose contracts are now limiting their own teams ability to build around them....... like Wilson.

The NFL will have to figure it out........a continued string of good QB classes would be the easiest solution..........rules changes would be another........... but it is beyond bad precedent for Houston to let a young QB force his way out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, mannc said:

Funny, I haven’t heard any crying about Carson Wentz trying to force the Eagles to trade him...

Because he has no leverage. He is in a bottom tier of QB’s right now and is a reclamation project. Wilson and Watson are in the top tier and have legitimate gripes with their current teams. Wilson’s sack numbers are outrageous. Record-setting even. I have watched 11 years of drafts with a good friend who is a Hawks fan. Every year we are astounded when they trade out of their pick when a strong offensive lineman is available. I’m sure that doesn’t go unnoticed by the QB who needs to be protected.

9 minutes ago, mannc said:

Because he's a reclamation project with a superstar contract..........he's a burden for the Eagles.........moving him makes sense for the organization if they can swing it.

Watson and Wilson are superstar QB's who actually elevate their teams greatly.