Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The appetite for teams that want Watson can only grow over the next year if he sits out,  IMO.

Maybe the value of what those teams can trade in draft capital changes for the lesser......but ultimately I think the OVERALL value(picks + players) won't be any less.  

This isn't a generational draft, IMO.   Having the 2nd or 3rd pick isn't likely to provide a talent they couldn't acquire next year.

A trade right now only throws a whole lotta' miscellaneous weight on a rudderless ship.

If Watson doesn't play then maybe Culley should just go Jauron ball and try to fix his locker room and get the right kind of attitude installed in it and THEN the Texans might actually have an idea of what they even want and need to go forward.

Maybe in that time they even actually find a team that can trade them a young franchise QB+ for their elite QB.  

It's also the most crapshooty draft ever given the reduced number of games, the lack of practice, the pro day problems, and everything else. Think about it this way: anyone who thinks Michigan is really a .333 winning percentage team in normal times is crazy. They had the fifth ranked recruting class in 2017, the 22nd ranked class in 2018, and the 8th ranked class in 2019. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The appetite for teams that want Watson can only grow over the next year if he sits out,  IMO.

Maybe the value of what those teams can trade in draft capital changes for the lesser......but ultimately I think the OVERALL value(picks + players) won't be any less.  

This isn't a generational draft, IMO.   Having the 2nd or 3rd pick isn't likely to provide a talent they couldn't acquire next year.

A trade right now only throws a whole lotta' miscellaneous weight on a rudderless ship.

If Watson doesn't play then maybe Culley should just go Jauron ball and try to fix his locker room and get the right kind of attitude installed in it and THEN the Texans might actually have an idea of what they even want and need to go forward.

Maybe in that time they even actually find a team that can trade them a young franchise QB+ for their elite QB.  

I agree this isn't a generational draft though I do think it is a decent QB crop if Houston were to trade him to the Jets or Dolphins and get back in position....

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree this isn't a generational draft though I do think it is a decent QB crop if Houston were to trade him to the Jets or Dolphins and get back in position....

Can the Texans trade for the rights after the draft?

Otherwise it’s a gamble that they’ll get their “guy” by just trading picks.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Think of the pressure for one of those rookie QB's following Deshaun Watson on a bad team though.   

They need to wipe the slate clean in Houston if they aren't keeping Watson, IMO.

I understand people think that the front office has an extreme religious view point but there was a similar red flag when Terry Pegula.......who I suspected was less than the most pious man after the Rex hiring...........introduced McD as a "man of faith" in the very first breath of his introduction.

That was weird........180 degree turn from the guy the Pegs had hired and partied with on their yacht and actively promoted their foolishness with their Ryan Bros TV show etc.....

And the "man of faith" Jauron-balled it thru a controversial re-build and has somewhat toned down the religious stuff as the team has gotten better and it has ultimately worked out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Think of the pressure for one of those rookie QB's following Deshaun Watson on a bad team though.   

They need to wipe the slate clean in Houston if they aren't keeping Watson, IMO.

I understand people think that the front office has an extreme religious view point but there was a similar red flag when Terry Pegula.......who I suspected was less than the most pious man after the Rex hiring...........introduced McD as a "man of faith" in the very first breath of his introduction.

That was weird........180 degree turn from the guy the Pegs had hired and partied with on their yacht and actively promoted their foolishness with their Ryan Bros TV show etc.....

And the "man of faith" Jauron-balled it thru a controversial re-build and has somewhat toned down the religious stuff as the team has gotten better and it has ultimately worked out.

I don't think Jauron was all that religious ... nothing in his background suggests he is (Swampscott, MA high school and Yale history degree), and the internet ain't showing anything either. I don't recall it ever coming up as a subject when he was here either. He never mentions anything in the interviews I just checked out. What are you referring to?

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I don't think Jauron was all that religious ... nothing in his background suggests he is (Swampscott, MA high school and Yale history degree), and the internet ain't showing anything either. I don't recall it ever coming up as a subject when he was here either. He never mentions anything in the interviews I just checked out. What are you referring to?

Its hard to maintain your faith in the NFL.

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I am referring to Terry Pegula's "man of faith" Sean McDermott Jauron-balling his way to 9-7 in 2017.

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I am referring to Terry Pegula's "man of faith" Sean McDermott Jauron-balling his way to 9-7 in 2017.

So you think that religion had something to do with the Bills going 9-7? I don't quite understand the connection.

Here's another angle to keep in mind...

If the Texans dig in you can 100% except all sorts of stories in the sports media about what a creepy dysfunctional place it is to play, aided behind the scenes by Watson and current and former players looking for a little payback. What percentage of NFL fans do you think realize that a team chaplain who seemed to constantly cause problems is now running a football team? the spotlight on the televangelist will get brighter, along with all the dumb and dysfunctional things they've done. 

That, coupled with a miserable losing record is going to make things really nasty there. 

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

So you think that religion had something to do with the Bills going 9-7? I don't quite understand the connection.

What looked like a red flag......"here we go a guy who will make decisions based on his religion at the expense of talent".........was not a big problem at all.

The situation in Houston is such that people think that the "jesus freaks" that run the team are going to make it difficult to stop the trajectory that Bill O'Brien put the team on.

You'd have to have read and understand the arguments for why people think Watson has a right to demand a trade to get the context. 

22 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

There is a big difference between being a man of faith (lots of guys in the NFL are) and being a creepy cult-like figure who somehow goes from team chaplain to running the team. 

Ir-*****-relevant, your honor.

The Texans would be professionally wrong to trade Watson this offseason regardless of what or how fervently they worship.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ir-*****-relevant, your honor.

The Texans would be professionally wrong to trade Watson this offseason regardless of what or how fervently they worship.

It's more that he seems totally unqualified. But again, I would rather watch or read about the Lions than the Texans. Everything about that franchise bores me. 

the idea that they might trade Watson is literally the only thing interesting about them. That and what a mess they are, which we will get a steady stream of leaks detailing from guys on the team to their buddies in the media. 

Still can't compete with kneecap biting. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The situation in Houston is such that people think that the "jesus freaks" that run the team are going to make it difficult to stop the trajectory that Bill O'Brien put the team on.

You'd have to have read and understand the arguments for why people think Watson has a right to demand a trade to get the context. 

I don't think being a "jesus freak" makes you any more or less able to run a successful franchise.... I think being such frauds that they have unnecessarily alienated their franchise Quarterback does though.... I don't think Deshaun wants out because they are religious. He wants out because they have behaved in such a way that he no longer trusts a word that comes out of their mouth. And from the reports on Easterby I'm not surprised. For a man of God he certainly seems to have a real machiavellian side to his character.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What looked like a red flag......"here we go a guy who will make decisions based on his religion at the expense of talent".........was not a big problem at all.

Ok. So the belief is that religion is bad for football, I guess. I think many of the players and coaches who come out of the south can be pretty religion. Southern Baptist and whatnot.

To me, I just don't see people's religion (or lack thereof) as having any positive or negative impact on the game. Maybe fans like talking about it and trying to make some connections, but I don't see it personally.

Isn't Andy Reid religious? He has a bunch of d bags on his team. Talent trumps almost everything, including the purported religious zeal of coaches and management.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Speaking of weird...this is just a really weird post.  I think you're absolutely correct regarding Houston but then you keep going back to Pegula hiring McD and that 2017 season as if it was a huge mistake that "just happened" to pan out.

After the Rex disaster Pegs knew the organization needed something 180 degrees different.  McD is/was a tough-nosed football coach.  He also talks openly about his faith.  To a lot of players and fans that is important (not to me, incidentally).  There was nothing "controversial" about the hire and rebuild except that YOU didn't think it was necessary.  That's not controversy, it's a difference of opinion.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think being a "jesus freak" makes you any more or less able to run a successful franchise.... I think being such frauds that they have unnecessarily alienated their franchise Quarterback does though.... I don't think Deshaun wants out because they are religious. He wants out because they have behaved in such a way that he no longer trusts a word that comes out of their mouth. And from the reports on Easterby I'm not surprised. For a man of God he certainly seems to have a real machiavellian side to his character.

There is a difference between wanting something and deserving it.

Jason Peters "deserved" a raise......as Andy Reid said after he fleeced us.......Peters was "the Peyton Manning of left tackles" and was being paid like a right tackle.

Watson deserves nothing.    He willingly signed up for top dollar to play long term for those same guys after the organization had already made most of the bad decisions that put them where they are now.   He didn't get to choose the new HC and GM?  If Aaron Rodgers couldn't why should it be assumed Watson would be allowed to?

So it's just a "want".

And if he's determined not to play for them the Texans have every right to tell him to want in one hand and ***** in the other and see which one fills up faster.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is a difference between wanting something and deserving it.

Jason Peters "deserved" a raise......as Andy Reid said after he fleeced us.......Peters was "the Peyton Manning of left tackles" and was being paid like a right tackle.

Watson deserves nothing.    He willingly signed up for top dollar to play long term for those same guys after the organization had already made most of the bad decisions that put them where they are now.   He didn't get to choose the new HC and GM?  If Aaron Rodgers couldn't why should it be assumed Watson would be allowed to?

So it's just a "want".

And if he's determined not to play for them the Texans have every right to tell him to want in one hand and ***** in the other and see which one fills up faster.

Rodgers did have a say in LaFleur as I understand it. It isn't that Watson didn't have a say either. It is that they promised him one thing and did another. It is about trust. Completely different situation but when I lost trust in the people I was working for I was out of the door within a month. I know my contract and his are nothing alike but the principle of don't work for people you don't trust is a sound one.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

When he mentioned Rex and the Pegulas partying on the yacht I had this mental picture from The Wolf of Wall Street ..

I mean Pegs looks like one outrageous party guy...

Brandon had Rex get Pegs liquored up to accelerate the hiring process.........remember the whole "get this bottle of wine" story?........and then shortly after the hiring they were all boozing it up on the yacht when the call came in to Whaley offering them McCoy.   Got so liquored up they sealed the deal without talking to Shady and his agent first.

Lesson:  Don't drink and drive your franchise into mediocrity.:beer:

Couple bottles of booze cost Pegs $50M in guaranteed money.:lol:

Pegs traded his first wife in for his secretary....half her age.....so I wasn't necessarily surprised that he would hire a, shall we say..... "self-indulgent", guy like Rex Ryan.

But the whole "man of faith" 180 hiring of McD after previously choosing a guy who was into watching his wife do foot stuff on other dudes......that was a very amusing turn of events and first choice of words.:lol:

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Brandon had Rex get Pegs liquored up to accelerate the hiring process.........remember the whole "get this bottle of wine" story?........and then shortly after the hiring they were all boozing it up on the yacht when the call came in to Whaley offering them McCoy.   Got so liquored up they sealed the deal without talking to Shady and his agent first.

Pegs traded his first wife in for his secretary....half her age.....so I wasn't necessarily surprised that he would hire a, shall we say..... "self-indulgent", guy like Rex Ryan.

But the whole "man of faith" 180 hiring of McD after previously choosing a guy who was into watching his wife do foot stuff on other dudes......that was a very amusing turn of events and first choice of words.:lol:

Who hurt you?  You've got some skeletons in that closet for sure...

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I never heard this. Was this really reported? 

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Rodgers did have a say in LaFleur as I understand it. It isn't that Watson didn't have a say either. It is that they promised him one thing and did another. It is about trust. Completely different situation but when I lost trust in the people I was working for I was out of the door within a month. I know my contract and his are nothing alike but the principle of don't work for people you don't trust is a sound one.

C'mon man...........you have no idea what, if anything, was actually promised. 

Sometimes promises are subjective.........like the difference between allowing input and allowing someone to make the decision.

But saying someone broke a secret promise is also good way, NBA superstarry way to steer a narrative so that you don't look like you are just trying to get to greener pastures too..........so there is that possibility you don't appear to be considering either.

And I find it amusing that you have equated "don't work for people you don't trust" into a discussion about NFL personnel/management.:lol:

That's hilarious......talk about your slippery slopes.

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I never heard this. Was this really reported? 

No because it's speculation.  While the hire of Rex was bad, it wasn't completely off-the-wall like, say, hiring Culley is.  Head coaches get recycled and Rex did take his team to the AFCCG twice.

But ultimately they got the guys they needed, so you could say it was worth the 2-year mistake.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Didn't someone tell me you teach creative writing?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

C'mon man...........you have no idea what, if anything, was actually promised. 

Sometimes promises are subjective.........like the difference between allowing input and allowing someone to make the decision.

But saying someone broke a secret promise is also good way, NBA superstarry way to steer a narrative so that you don't look like you are just trying to get to greener pastures too..........so there is that possibility you don't appear to be considering either.

And I find it amusing that you have equated "don't work for people you don't trust" into a discussion about NFL personnel/management.:lol:

That's hilarious......talk about your slippery slopes.

That is what has been reported by multiple credible sources. I think it is a stretch to believe it is anything else myself.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

So wait, you meant the "hiring process" of...Lesean McCoy? :lol:

Like I said.......you dudes need to get some focus factor......you got C.R.A.F.T..........this story was discussed ad nauseam on TSW and you practically live here.:doh:

From Sports Illustrated:

"Team president Russ Brandon also texted Ryan the next day: “The owner likes red wine. ... “I'm not a red wineguy,” Ryan says, “but that day I drank red wine."

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes, if Pegs had only listened to me and cleaned house Day 1, he would’ve saved a lot of time and money. :( 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Who are the sources and what was the promise made?

PFT, The Athletic, Peter King and SI all reported he had dinner with Cal McNair in December and was promised he would be consulted in advance of both the GM and HC hires. Now in fairness I think a QB has no real role to play in a GM hire. I see the argument on the HC because the two are going to have to work together extremely closely but a GM? See no purpose in involving your QB in that. But that is what Cal McNair promised. He was stupid to promise it but when you do that and then don't deliver... well people are gonna think you are not trustworthy.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

PFT, The Athletic, Peter King and SI all reported he had dinner with Cal McNair in December and was promised he would be consulted in advance of both the GM and HC hires. Now in fairness I think a QB has no real role to play in a GM hire. I see the argument on the HC because the two are going to have to work together extremely closely but a GM? See no purpose in involving your QB in that. But that is what Cal McNair promised. He was stupid to promise it but when you do that and then don't deliver... well people are gonna think you are not trustworthy.

Is there language in the contract he agreed to & signed that allows him to demand a trade if he believes the owner isn’t trustworthy? If so, I have no problem at all with him taking this stance.

• Haha (+1) 2