Is any part of Singletary's game elite? [Edited: title from merged thread]

r henderson

3 hours ago, r henderson said:

Major disappointment! A new topic was needed for his play this year. Can someone name one game where he has made a difference? Until we can establish some signs of a running game, it will be tough sledding in the big games.

I mean how did henry do in the big games?

10 minutes ago, 947 said:

Singletary is a great guy, just not good enough to get significant snaps in the NFL. He doesn't have NFL speed, and he tries to use his 1 great attribute (moves) too much instead of blasting into holes.

I think Moss would've helped today, but we need a major upgrade.

Upgrade again for the 3rd time while our best RB sits on the practice squad again next season or isn't even on the team.

Yup, thats whats going to happen.

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Figster said:

Upgrade again for the 3rd time while our best RB sits on the practice squad again next season or isn't even on the team.

Yup, thats whats going to happen.

Crazy how good Yeldon looks out there. We do need top 5 receiving RB IMO. It makes it so much easier for Josh and the O. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Figster said:

Yeldon is basically another big WR coming out of the back field.

Sucks we shelved him so long. He still only 27 and has some really good hands. Even when he was running I had more confidence. I think Yeldon is the best RB on our team in all honesty. 

Gawd, I so wish we could have the 2015-2017 McCoy for Allen.  We need to upgrade, Beane knew that as well and I'm glad Bell didn't work out as I think he is washed. I would love to see a great receiving back like Ekeler though.  

Singletary stinks.....plain and simple....all season long....RB are a dime a dozen...you dont keep the crappy one's around...ok sure we apparently loss on a draft pick here we thought would be good but apparently this guy is a bust...cut loss and move on asap......Keep Moss...bring up Antonio Williams and maybe pick up Ingram if possible...oh yeah fix the damn D!!!!

3 hours ago, r henderson said:

Major disappointment! A new topic was needed for his play this year. Can someone name one game where he has made a difference? Until we can establish some signs of a running game, it will be tough sledding in the big games.

Worst part is he was much better than Zack Moss.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, JPP said:

Singletary stinks.....plain and simple....all season long....RB are a dime a dozen...you dont keep the crappy one's around...ok sure we apparently loss on a draft pick here we thought would be good but apparently this guy is a bust...cut loss and move on asap......Keep Moss...bring up Antonio Williams and maybe pick up Ingram if possible...oh yeah fix the damn D!!!!

Keep moss, find speed at RB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Baba Booey said:

Was a huge drop. He might have gotten 20 yards on that if he catches it. But we probably would have just kicked a field goal!!! 🤔

Oh trust me he gets 20 on that play. There was no one in front of him. It's not that drop that fries my ass. It's his slow "shimie every time he gets the ball. He's completely incapable of attacking a hole. He has to be upgraded. And on a final note Yeldon was so poorly used all year. Daboll basically gave up on any running game. Tonight it destroyed us.

• Like (+1) 2

He just isn't special. He had 4 more carries this year than last. For the most part. He is the same guy. He was a product of inflated ypc based on low carry count and a few broken plays. He isn't consistent and should be a change of pace not a feature

3 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I don't care that we spent two 3rd rders, this backfield is not cutting it. A running game would make us exponentially stronger. Who's out there for FAs next year? 3rd and 2 is scarier tham 3rd and 7 with this team. Its gotta stop. Id rather they go get a premier guy, and be done with the position while our window is still open

The problem is they keep getting the same person. Short grinder with low speed. There is no change of pace there

• Like (+1) 2

Saying this from a Denver-based perspective - Bills Mafia would love Phillip Lindsay after about the first 5 minutes of his first camp practice. Ran a 4.39 40 and I imagine just about any Bronco is available right now. Has the speed that this team needs and is a total hardworking McBeane process guy.

Been in Singletary's corner all year, but it's just not working out. He has his moments but he's never going to get 20 carries and this team clearly needs some more speed at RB. Singletary kind of feels like a giant incomplete rather than a failure to me, but I think it's clear that you need to do something next year, he can't be anything more than a depth back.

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

Travis Ettienne at 30, please...

I wouldn’t be opposed to this, everyone thinks you can get an RB anywhere because of undrafted guys like James Robinson but the majority of good RBs are taken in the first two rounds of the draft.

1 minute ago, CapeBreton said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to this, everyone thinks you can get an RB anywhere because of undrafted guys like James Robinson but the majority of good RBs are taken in the first two rounds of the draft.

You can get a RB anywhere, you're just not guaranteed to. Ettienne adds more than just speed,  he's a deadly weapon in the passing game in the area that Josh struggles the most, taking the quick check down. 

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

He's soft, and has lost confidence. We can't go into another year with him as a lead back. He can't break tackles and doesn't distinguish himself in the passing game. We need to draft a runner.

He wasn't the lead back at the end of the season. Well, moss seemed to usurp him. I would honestly play yeldon over him. He's a situation back. He makes us 1 dimensional.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

McCoy in his prime or Lynch in his prime on this team would be an elite offense.. right now this offense just isn't dynamic enough to shoot it out with KC

Kamara would solve our RB issues.  Then heavy OL  DL in draft   we are not doing the best in the trenches,,, especially defense

Too light in the butt... by design. McD likes this d line. Save for star this was his thing

8 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

1st round is bad value. Second is okay.

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

1st round is bad value. Second is okay.

End of the 1st round is not that different in value from the 2nd round. As usual there are going to be less than 30 players with 1st round grades, and this year more than ever it is going to be difficult to draft due to limited college games plus no combine or private visits. I am usually completely against the idea of the Bills drafting a RB early but it is the last piece our offense needs and it's an easy position to scout.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, HappyDays said:

End of the 1st round is not that different in value from the 2nd round. As usual there are going to be less than 30 players with 1st round grades, and this year more than ever it is going to be difficult to draft due to limited college games plus no combine or private visits. I am usually completely against the idea of the Bills drafting a RB early but it is the last piece our offense needs and it's an easy position to scout.

We need a TE way more imo, and TE is way slimmer pickings than RB pretty much every year.

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

T.J. Yeldon has looked worlds better. Makes me wonder what we could have been if we rolled with him and Moss instead all season.

TJ should of dressed in more games and got a better look.  I know they wanted to have Taiwan Jones in for STs but it might

have been better if they didn't.

All things McDermott and Beane need to discuss in the next month.

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

He's made a difference in several games, along with Moss. Running the clock down at the end of several games, getting several important first downs, making some nice catches and runs and doing an absolute ton of terrific blocks keeping our QB unsacked. And a couple of TDs on top of that.

These are objective, fair points, esp amidst all this anguish.

I'm a big Motor fan, but it's also fair to address the OP's "question", which I take to mean "disappointed w his season?"

Imv, the only balanced answer is "yes". Clear improvement in pass pro, but no further/consistent development in speed and explosiveness, nor in route running. You know, fear inducing skills.

I mean how many wheel routes or delayed goes did he have? I don't think many, and that was a scheme decision, so I assume coaches didn't see it in him.

As for this game, I'll only note that Duke (I'm not a fan) got roasted for dropped balls v Texans, and they were contested. Motor's dropped screen (albeit not in end zone) was a costly mistake.

Ready to dump him? No. But, again as a fan, it's best we keep our eyes wide open.

Edited by Dukestreetking

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

We need a TE way more imo, and TE is way slimmer pickings than RB pretty much every year.

1st round TEs have a terrible history. I know teams that draft RBs in the 1st don't tend to win a Super Bowl with them but at least they are good players more often than not. I also think Knox played well down the stretch and Daboll just doesn't know how to get him involved outside of misdirection plays. I wouldn't trust him to utilize a TE if we drafted one. You can tell he wants RBs to be a big part of this offense, we just don't have a player to make it work.

Edited by HappyDays

Just now, HappyDays said:

1st round TEs have a terrible history. I know teams that draft RBs in the 1st don't tend to win a Super Bowl with them but at least they are good players more often than not. I also think Knox played well down the stretch and Daboll just doesn't know how to get him involved outside of misdirection plays. I wouldn't trust him to utilize a TE if we drafted one. You can tell he wants RBs to be a big part of this offense, we just don't have a player to make it work.

Knox is simply not consistent enough to be a focal point of our offense. A TE that lives in the seam and the soft hook/curl is money.

Maybe there isn't a TE at #30 worth it. But I'd reach for a TE before I'd reach for an RB.  CEH was yanked for an UDFA tonight. That pick was a waste by KC.

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

He's soft, and has lost confidence. We can't go into another year with him as a lead back. He can't break tackles and doesn't distinguish himself in the passing game. We need to draft a runner.

It’s unfortunate because we’ve used two high draft picks on RBs in the past two drafts and we have nothing to show for it—and it’s an easy position to scout and draft.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, FireChans said:

I'd reach for a TE before I'd reach for an RB.  CEH was yanked for an UDFA tonight. That pick was a waste by KC.

And I'm not saying I will be mad if the Bills don't draft a RB early this year, but to keep up with KC they need to make this offense even better next year and that is one way to do it. No need to wait for a rookie WR or TE to adjust to the pro game. Get a RB that has speed and can catch the ball and plug him in.

The Chiefs don't need to use RBs in their pass game because they have an elite WR and TE. We aren't going to pull another elite offensive player out of a hat. We need to try a different strategy.

• Like (+1) 2