Home town clock operator ?

Holy hell that sequence after the fumble that should have been.  Rivers throws to TE.  Looks like he signals that he is OOB and the clock should stop.  Sometime after that and before McD called the timeout the clock began to run again.  Maybe 3 or 4 seconds went off the clock.  So either he was ruled in-bounds and they missed it saving the Colts quite a bit of time or the clock guy started it inappropriately.  I was going to rewind and look but my son switched the channel to the Seahawks. 

What did you guys see???

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Holy hell that sequence after the fumble that should have been.  Rivers throws to TE.  Looks like he signals that he is OOB and the clock should stop.  Sometime after that and before McD called the timeout the clock began to run again.  Maybe 3 or 4 seconds went off the clock.  So either he was ruled in-bounds and they missed it saving the Colts quite a bit of time or the clock guy started it inappropriately.  I was going to rewind and look but my son switched the channel to the Seahawks. 

What did you guys see???

I thought the same. I thought they ruled him OOB. But then when they set the ball the clock restarted. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

What did you guys see???

Wow you’re right.. It went from 19 seconds to 14 seconds.

13 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

What did you guys see???

I noticed that too, and said something to my dad and wife about it.   I couldn’t believe the clock started running again, but chalked it up to me maybe forgetting one of the finer points of the rulebook... 🤣

3 minutes ago, Frat-Train said:

I thought I saw the clock manager on one knee, chugging a warm Smirnoff Ice.   

what did YOU see?

he was doing a shot of Wisnowska from the Hammer Lot bowling ball

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RiotAct said:

I noticed that too, and said something to my dad and wife about it.   I couldn’t believe the clock started running again, but chalked it up to me maybe forgetting one of the finer points of the rulebook... 🤣

he was doing a shot of Wisnowska from the Hammer Lot bowling ball

😂😂😂😂

Just now, Fixxxer said:

yep, that was confusing. I know the playclock they show in the TV is not the official one, but there were some really late snaps by Rivers, borderline delays of game. 

I have zero doubt that was by design

• Like (+1) 3

Pittman actually fumbled out of bounds on the play. The clock doesn’t stop when fumbled out of bounds under 2 minutes. That’s why the clock was re-started. CBS broadcast didn’t show the replay. 

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I was thinking maybe they said he went out of bounds backwards, which for some reason is a rule that the clock keeps running.

Yes, that is the rule.  

I think it is because they don't want players running backwards to intentionally stop the clock.  I (half) remember it coming up in a SNF earlier this season in a silmilar situation.

8 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Yes, that is the rule.  

I think it is because they don't want players running backwards to intentionally stop the clock.  I (half) remember it coming up in a SNF earlier this season in a silmilar situation.

They only want them running forward to stop the clock intentionally? I don't see the difference, personally.

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

In that case it just keeps running though right?  It doesn't stop until the ball is spotted.  That's what I thought anyways. 

They may have stopped it then received a signal from the officials to start it.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

What did you guys see???

From your description a son who should have been spanked.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Simon said:

I have zero doubt that was by design

They wanted to shorten the game, for sure. Going down to stealing a half of a second surprised me. It should be subject to replay. I hope that gets changed, despite how much I don’t want the game to be slowed down. 

25 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Yes, that is the rule.  

The rule is built of the forward progress rule.  

As we all know a receiver can catch a ball while moving backwards and having contact.  The ball gets spotted at where he caught it.

If he take that rule farther then the receiver can't have that advantage and yet step out of bounds.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

What did you guys see???

Agree.  I think it went from 19 sec when he went OB / McD called the TO to 14 when they resumed play

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

It should be subject to replay. I hope that gets changed, despite how much I don’t want the game to be slowed down. 

I couldn't agree less, Aug.

The last thing this game needs is more stoppages and more officiating; especially for picayune procedural stuff that has no real effect on the game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I was thinking maybe they said he went out of bounds backwards, which for some reason is a rule that the clock keeps running.

Yes, correct, poor job by CBS to provide an explanation. In fact, a lot of missed calls by a normally good TV crew. 

21 minutes ago, Simon said:

The last thing this game needs is more stoppages and more officiating; especially for picayune procedural stuff that has no real effect on the game.

Yeah, well YOU don’t have to hear from my son who hates refs more than I hate Lima beans! He wears my arse out! :) 

But (slightly more) seriously, when the clock runs out, you are done. They go to the clock in basketball to see if you got the shot off or if the game was over. We gave up at least one big play leading to points. They snapped the ball AFTER the play clock on multiple occasions. Fact. Make it subject to review and that doesn’t happen. They wanted to milk the clock, and cheated in Patriot fashion.

I don’t like it. 

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

What did you guys see???

Nope - I believe the receiver ends up dropping the ball backwards out of bounds.  The Ref signaled to start the game clock upon getting the ball ready for play.  I think it was done perfectly and that was part of the delay in McD calling the timeout.  He wanted it right before the snap to get as much time as possible off the clock.

Well coached and well played - especially as he still had to be seething about the non fumble call.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Simon said:

Everyone needs to play by the same rules IMO. One game has the play clock practically ignored. The next teams are blowing timeouts because officials are on top of it. This nonsense about the ball being snapped by tye time the official turns around to see it is one of the dumbest explanations I have ever heard. 

NFL now has fumble mentioned in the play-by-play. Good job by Wallace to punch the ball out and cause the fumble to keep the clock running.

-------------

-1 Yard Pass

(:26) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass short left to M.Pittman to BUF 45 for 1 yard (L.Wallace, M.Hyde). FUMBLES (L.Wallace), ball out of bounds at BUF 47.

-------------

12 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

But why did they stop the clock and then re-start it when the ball was spotted? Is that proper?

Or should the clock have just continued to run the entire time from the time of the fumble? 

Yes, that’s proper. When the ball is fumbled backwards out of bounds the clock is initially stopped then started upon the refs signal.

• Thank you (+1) 1