Bills expected to play numerous starters including Allen per Jeremy Fowler report

Big Turk

5 hours ago, Big C said:

The implications of starters getting hurt in week 1 versus 17 are massively different. And it's easy to say things like this now, but if we are up two scores in the third and Allen or Diggs gets hurt you aren't going to feel this way. I trust the staff knows how to handle this, especially after Beasley got hurt last week during a meaningless series. 

They could get hurt on the first play of the first playoff game just as easily, this is just scared fan babble, nothing more, you play the game to win it, period. Otherwise you are purposefully losing/throwing the game, there are no other outcomes. 

Man up folks, it’s big boy pants time...

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Don Otreply said:

They could get hurt on the first play of the first playoff game just as easily, this is just scared fan babble, nothing more, you play the game to win it, period. Otherwise you are purposefully losing/throwing the game, there are no other outcomes. 

Man up folks, it’s big boy pants time...

Go Bills!!!

I want them to play. You aren’t making a good case though.

Sure, someone can get hurt on the first play next week. That can happen regardless of what the Bills do today. 

If the starters don’t play today they can’t get hurt today. That’s what some folks want. I understand it. 

It has to be one of the tougher calls as a coach. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Correct. And that includes the teams that sit the starters. That's not fear. It's sense. It's playing the odds. It's being smart. It's heeding what the risk/reward ratio tells you.

You are welcome to feel however you want. For me, I would like to see the starters on the field to start this game. 

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

I want them to play. You aren’t making a good case though.

Sure, someone can get hurt on the first play next week. That can happen regardless of what the Bills do today. 

If the starters don’t play today they can’t get hurt today. That’s what some folks want. I understand it. 

It has to be one of the tougher calls as a coach. 

The point is, the risk is no higher today than any other day, which I pointed out in my previous post. Me? I’m not into throwing the game, why bother watching if they are purposefully losing???

Go Bills!!!

6 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Has anyone been expecting that the Starters wouldn't play at all? And if so, what drugs are you taking? 

It's always seemed like the starters (well, the Allen/Diggs/etc guys) would come in play a quarter to a half and call it a day. 

The hand wringing over someone possibly getting hurt is insane. They've played 15 games and some of you would have had starters sitting week 1. 

Josh has been hurt before. Twice actually. Miami is going to come out hot today. It makes sense to not put your best players in harms way for a semi meaningless game. Especially when home field means almost nothing.  

If it is me I am sitting Josh, Stef and Tre. They are the three irreplaceable elite players the Bills have. 

There is then a second group - the two tackles, Edmunds, Poyer who I am looking to pull sooner rather than later and then a third group - Oliver, Hughes, Hyde, Feliciano, Milano who I am pulling if the game becomes a clear outcome one way or the other. 

Everyone else I play until the end regardless. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I expect all starters to play.  It will be a normal game.

To not so so, is to live in fear and to play not to lose. Keep the momentum going. The players want to play. Sit only those with injuries. These players are competitors and not slackers.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If it is me I am sitting Josh, Stef and Tre. They are the three irreplaceable elite players the Bills have. 

There is then a second group - the two tackles, Edmunds, Poyer who I am looking to pull sooner rather than later and then a third group - Oliver, Hughes, Hyde, Feliciano, Milano who I am pulling if the game becomes a clear outcome one way or the other. 

Everyone else I play until the end regardless. 

Milano should be before Edmunds. 

4 minutes ago, TBBills said:

***** yea let go!!!!

I hate when people put injuries as the reason to not play, it is the dumbest argument when it comes to football. 

I agree......I believe in destiny, and if something is meant to happen good OR bad, it will.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Josh has been hurt before. Twice actually. Miami is going to come out hot today. It makes sense to not put your best players in harms way for a semi meaningless game. Especially when home field means almost nothing.  

Playing in Pittsburgh compared to Buffalo means almost nothing?

Ridiculous statement.

• Like (+1) 2

Obviously, it does not matter what anyone else wants, Coach  McDermott will decide this. So, we should try to figure out what the coach wants to do. If he cares more about changing the odds on whom the Bills will play and where, then he plays the starters. The Bills odds on playing the Colts jump if the Bills win plus it guarantees all home games until the Championship game.

Based on last year, where he sat the starters and saw his team come out sharp from the get go against Houston, my guess is he is not at all concerned about momentum, playing flat, etc. He is certainly, IMO, not concerned about records etc. I don't think he is much concerned about new injuries but will likely rest all "dinged" players. John Brown will play to get some reps in.

So, my guess is the starters play the entire first half unless the score goes hugely one way or another.

my 2 cents

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, TBBills said:

***** yea let go!!!!

I hate when people put injuries as the reason to not play, it is the dumbest argument when it comes to football. 

...except when they happen.  Witness Cole Beasley.

4 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Actually, that's EXACTLY what he's going to do.....

Doubtful.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

...except when they happen.  Witness Cole Beasley.

Doubtful.

Witness what? Oh you think the injury curse is real or something? Stop with that.

Just stupid arguments over injury are tiring when it comes to these people. You play b.c injury will happen anywhere not just in the game, you live afraid to play people bmc you might get injured than find a new job... B.c you won't last long in the NFL thinking like that.

Edited by TBBills

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

Witness what? Oh you think the injury curse is real or something? Stop with that.

No, it sounds great to play hard...until injuries happen.  Beasley should have been pulled with Josh and Diggs last game.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TBBills said:

I am just glad we have a coaching staff that isn't afraid. 

I doubt they'll play the starters more than a series or two.  And I'm sure they're kicking themselves for not sitting Beasley when they say Josh and Diggs.  I understand why they kept him in and that might be why they're playing Josh and Diggs (if they do play).

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I doubt they'll play the starters more than a series or two.  

That is all that matters.

I know the coaching staff wouldn't kick themselves over something that they cannot control. They are not like that.

Edited by TBBills

3 minutes ago, TBBills said:

That is all that matters.

I know the coaching staff wouldn't kick themselves over something that they cannot control. They are not like that.

They absolutely had control over when to pull Beasley.  Personally I would have kept him, Josh and Diggs in there against the Cheaters to get them their personal records and then pull them so that today's game wasn't necessary. 

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There's no way they play more than the 1st half. Too risky to have any of our top players go down. Especially with no bye. Mason Rudolph is not beating the Steelers. 

Rudolph actually MIGHT beat the Steelers...

I want to win this game.  It does the following:

Locks the 2 seed.  No help from anyone needed. 

Keeps the momentum going.  This team is hot and getting great press/hype - I like it and would like it right into the playoffs.

It makes for a better record, 13-3 reflects a very good season.  Last years 10-6 would have been much better at 11-5 - and as years go by the explanation of the loss to the Jets is not mentioned - people don't go into that much detail.  The  Bills are starting an era here and I would like 13-3 to be part of that.

Get some of the team records.  Helps show what a great regular season it has been.  Josh/Diggs.

Beat Miami.  It is always good to beat Miami.  Get and keep the psychological edge.  They should remain behind us.

Beat Miami with our starters going just the first half.  That would be great.  Would be nice to see Barkley outplay Tua in the second half.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Ok just saw its official.

Out for the Steelers:

Watt 

Heyward 

Pouncey 

And Haden and Ebron to Covid IR.

They're done.  Already down Bush and Dupree.  Baltimore is going to steamroll them in RD 1.  

Our starters minus Diggs will be playing 2 series when Allen should get the record.  

Miami will win which is fine. 

Cleveland in RD1 then winner of Miami Tennessee in RD 2.  Fine by me.  

Exactly this.

Fans saying “win no matter what” make zero sense.

Do you want to lose and play the Browns or Miami?

Or win and potentially play Baltimore or Indy.

2 hours ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

IMO the Bills play their starters and play to win. That guaranteed second home playoff game is too important to leave in the hands of another team (Browns) to secure it for them. The players want to play this game for the organization and the fans. I can’t believe they would be in favor of risking a loss and potentially pimping the fans on a second home playoff game.

No doubt if the Bills are solidly ahead in the second half they will start pulling key players from the game, but not until then. 

This and I’m sure they got someone with a headset and a TV set upstairs. Whether it’s a half or a full game or whatever, They are going to play to win until they dont have to. 

10 minutes ago, McBean said:

Exactly this.

I don't see any realistic scenarios where we play Baltimore if we win, the only one I can find is if the Colts lose to the Jags AND the Ravens lose to Cincy. If both of those things happen, we'd play Baltimore no matter what happens in our game with the Fins.

If the Bills lose and the Steelers win, we'd play the Ravens. I personally think the Bills and Steelers will BOTH lose and the Bills will get the Browns next week cause I don't see the Ravens OR Colts losing today.

Edited by Amaru523
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, McBean said:

Exactly this.

Agreed with your first part.

But if the Bills lose, they can’t play Miami in round 1 as the Dolphins would clinch the 5 seed.

If the bills win, would still most likely play Cleveland or indi unless Baltimore somehow loses to the bengals.

10 minutes ago, McBean said:

Exactly this.

I'm really torn.  I want them to rest players and have an easier week 1 matchup, but OTOH I want them to knock Miami out of the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, McBean said:

Exactly this.

What are you talking about?  You have this all wrong.  If the Bills lose they are not playing Miami, Miami would be the 5 seed. 

Secondly, if the Bills win they are not playing the Ravens.  The Ravens are sitting at #6 behind Miami and would move ahead of Miami and probably be #5.

One of the big benefits of winning the 2 seed is the Bills won't see the Ravens. 

9 minutes ago, McBean said:

Exactly this.

I always want them to win. Today is no different. I want them to secure the second seed, stay sharp, keep their momentum going, and then play whoever they draw in the playoffs.