Bills expected to play numerous starters including Allen per Jeremy Fowler report

Big Turk

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FWIW, on the Buffalobills website, One Bills live segment with Greg Cosell, he alludes to calling Chris Brown and Steve Tasker and pumping them for what was going to happen because they were profiling the Bills on their pregame show, and Brown says "sorry we couldn't help you". 

So I don't think Fowler really knows who will play or how much.  People are trying to read the tea leaves from the PS callups as well, but look at last week where they called up Davis Webb then left him inactive.

Late night before a game the next day there might be more info or a better source since McDermott may not have even told anyone what the plans were prior.

But you are right...unless Fowler has some inside info from somewhere it is speculation

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There's no way they play more than the 1st half. Too risky to have any of our top players go down. Especially with no bye. Mason Rudolph is not beating the Steelers. 

I sure hope he isn't planning on beating his own team.

I want them to treat it like the third preseason game usually goes. You play your starters and try to work on the things you want to be ready for when the season starts.

Allen in to work in his timing with John Brown, to try to make sure that connection is firing. You try to get the run game going. then pull them

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

If it is me I am sitting Josh, Stef and Tre. They are the three irreplaceable elite players the Bills have. 

There is then a second group - the two tackles, Edmunds, Poyer who I am looking to pull sooner rather than later and then a third group - Oliver, Hughes, Hyde, Feliciano, Milano who I am pulling if the game becomes a clear outcome one way or the other. 

Everyone else I play until the end regardless. 

I agree, but, would put Milano in group 2 because of the impact he has on our D and his injury history.

3 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Fans here are really taking home field for granted. If nothing else they should want some of our fans to see the potential 2nd game. 

The Steelers are sitting all their best players.  They'll lose.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

If it is me I am sitting Josh, Stef and Tre. They are the three irreplaceable elite players the Bills have. 

There is then a second group - the two tackles, Edmunds, Poyer who I am looking to pull sooner rather than later and then a third group - Oliver, Hughes, Hyde, Feliciano, Milano who I am pulling if the game becomes a clear outcome one way or the other. 

Everyone else I play until the end regardless. 

Oh man do we disagree on who should be considered priority, but I see where you are coming from.  To me, I let the starters go out and try to put up early points, Miami isn’t built to rally.  So I’m looking for first half starters, keep them sharp.  Second half, Josh, Diggs, Smoke, Dawkins, Morse, Milano, Poyer, Tre, Hughes, Hyde and Wallace all have to sit.   Everyone else is replaceable by their back up, but any of those are huge losses.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Playing in Pittsburgh compared to Buffalo means almost nothing?

Ridiculous statement.

It’s really not. In order for us to even play in Pittsburgh, our backups have to lose to Miami, Pittsburgh’s backups have to beat Cleveland and then Pittsburgh has to win their wild card game. Ill take those chances. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, quinnearlysghost88 said:

It’s really not. In order for us to even play in Pittsburgh, our backups have to lose to Miami, Pittsburgh’s backups have to beat Cleveland and then Pittsburgh has to win their wild card game. Ill take those chances. 

I’m in this boat as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The closer we get to this game, the less I care about the 2 seed and the more terrified I am of injuries. This will not be a fun game to watch. Imo 

Oh and I REALLY do not care about records.

So you will also be terrified of injuries in any subsequent playoff games.  Better not watch any of these games, too frightening...

31 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Bills have developed the habit of winning. Lets keep it going. 

as far as injury risk goes, yes 

So the poster is just being facetious as to why one would prefer to not have key starters at risk to injury in a meaningless game vs a playoff game or...

I mean the risk is the same, sure. It’s about risk vs reward. And clearly that is the difference. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Browns are missing a lot of hosses I do believe

IINM, the Browns will have Mayfield and his full complement of WRs, TEs and RBs.  Meanwhile Rudolph will be without key components on offense.

26 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Steelers are sitting all their best players.  They'll lose.

I think the making of M Garrett the Captain may have been a bad troll move out of the Browns.  Trying to intimidate the Steelers may just provide the motivation for the QB and his supporting cast to try a little harder.  I can see the backups for the Steelers giving it their all.

9 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Nah they are playing for that 2nd seed. Sure a record for JA would be great, but I doubt that's the 1st thing on their mind

Indeed.  If the Bills start considering individual player milestones, there are probably a bunch at stake.  I know someone mentioned Poyer has $250,000 coming if he gets a 3rd pick.  But the playoffs without our team's leading tackler (individual and solo) might not look as good....I bet there are a bunch of incentives at stake.

2 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think the making of M Garrett the Captain may have been a bad troll move out of the Browns.  Trying to intimidate the Steelers may just provide the motivation for the QB and his supporting cast to try a little harder.  I can see the backups for the Steelers giving it their all.

Maybe Garrett will bash Rudolph on the head with his helmet during the coin toss?

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

IINM, the Browns will have Mayfield and his full complement of WRs, TEs and RBs.  Meanwhile Rudolph will be without key components on offense.

That is true, but the Browns I think are missing their entire secondary:

CB Denzel Ward

CB Kevin Johnson

S Karl Joseph

S Andrew Sendejo

and

LB Malcolm Smith

They are getting 2 guys back from normal IR so that's good

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

CB Denzel Ward

CB Kevin Johnson

S Karl Joseph

S Andrew Sendejo

and

LB Malcolm Smith

The good thing is that the Steelers are playing Rudolph and I don't think any of the start WRs are playing.

I can’t believe this is happening. I thought beane would be smarter than this. This is unbelievably stupid IMO. You don’t risk losing allen/diggs or another major starter for glorified practice. hasn’t this season taught these people anything. These guys don’t need to play in order to not fall off of cliff next week. These are highly competitive/trained professionals. They don’t have anything left to prove.

The worst thing that could happen with them holding out a couple of players is they lose AND the Steelers win. That’s it. The worst that can happen is putting these guys out there in a meaningless game is risking a major injury that would not only ruin the postseason but also next year. You need to protect your star players in games like these. This macho bull#### attitude of thinking they need to play to show how tough they are or they will suddenly forget how to play the game by sitting out a week is laughable. Teams use to play in order to get a bye week well the bills got theirs a week early. Take it! These guys are pros they will be ready to go next week. 

we’ve also learned this year that teams can sit out for weeks like the titans and still be prepared to play come game day. Players are trying to get rid of otas and mini camp because they are proving they don’t really need it. They train almost all year anyways. Do you really think we need to see these guys go out for 25 plays today? I feel like Iverson here, y’all talking about practice? Practice? 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

CB Denzel Ward

CB Kevin Johnson

S Karl Joseph

S Andrew Sendejo

and

LB Malcolm Smith

Karl Joseph is back 

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I want them to treat it like the third preseason game usually goes. You play your starters and try to work on the things you want to be ready for when the season starts.

Allen in to work in his timing with John Brown, to try to make sure that connection is firing. You try to get the run game going. then pull them

We didn’t even have preseason this year, how did that turn out again? 

34 minutes ago, Georgia Bill said:

So you will also be terrified of injuries in any subsequent playoff games.  Better not watch any of these games, too frightening...

Really? You don’t understand how his works? You always play the players during the season and when there is something to play for. There just isn’t today. When teams are up big in games why do you think they pull their starters? 

42 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

It 100% is ridiculous. 

4 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Why do people keep referring to the record of yards for JA? Who cares. If they play it should be to win 2nd seed and that is all.

Because if they play the starters, it should just be to get JA and SD the records and then pull them.  As it stands, they will be the 2nd seed even if they lose.

15 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

I can’t believe this is happening. I thought beane would be smarter than this. This is unbelievably stupid IMO. You don’t risk losing allen/diggs or another major starter for glorified practice. hasn’t this season taught these people anything. These guys don’t need to play in order to not fall off of cliff next week. These are highly competitive/trained professionals. They don’t have anything left to prove.

The worst thing that could happen with them holding out a couple of players is they lose AND the Steelers win. That’s it. The worst that can happen is putting these guys out there in a meaningless game is risking a major injury that would not only ruin the postseason but also next year. You need to protect your star players in games like these. This macho bull#### attitude of thinking they need to play to show how tough they are or they will suddenly forget how to play the game by sitting out a week is laughable. Teams use to play in order to get a bye week well the bills got theirs a week early. Take it! These guys are pros they will be ready to go next week. 

we’ve also learned this year that teams can sit out for weeks like the titans and still be prepared to play come game day. Players are trying to get rid of otas and mini camp because they are proving they don’t really need it. They train almost all year anyways. Do you really think we need to see these guys go out for 25 plays today? I feel like Iverson here, y’all talking about practice? Practice? 

Why does Bill Belichek play starters in this situation? are you better at football strategy than him?

1 hour ago, scribo said:

The team record I'm really, really hoping this squad sets: the first to win a Super Bowl.

I’m certain that’s the goal in the locker room. The Bills are in a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation.

If they don’t play today and lose next week it’s all McD’s fault, if they play today and someone gets hurt McD is a jerk. If they play today and no one gets hurt then they lose next week, why didn’t he rest his staters they would have won!!

Week 17 can be a tough spot for a playoff coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There's no way they play more than the 1st half. Too risky to have any of our top players go down. Especially with no bye. Mason Rudolph is not beating the Steelers. 

Mason Rudolph will in fact beat the Steelers on his own

• Haha (+1) 1

Belichick tended to play his starters at least through half time, even when they had everything wrapped up. If the game meant something he played them the whole game. Granted, it was sometimes playing for a bye. Worked out pretty well for the patriots.

mcbeane has a plan. I’m sure they’re monitoring the Pittsburgh game. If Cleveland looks like they’re going to win it could change things in buffalo. You don’t want to sit players, lose, have Pittsburgh win and end up playing the ravens in rd1

if you have the chance to knock out a divisional foe from the playoffs, you do it