Week 17: Dolphins at Bills - Squish the Fish playoff hopes and dreams

YoloinOhio

Unfortunately, the only real way to answer whether resting starters in the last game of the season is a good decision is AFTER you play the playoff game that comes next.  If you rested starters and lose the playoff game, it was a bad decision (blame placed on rust).  If you didn't rest starters, suffer key injuries, and lose the playoff game, it was a bad decision (blame placed on injuries).  

Since everything in advance is conjecture, our current positions on this really come down to which we are more worried about, injuries or loss of momentum.    The 2011 Packers rested Rodgers, then lost their first playoff game.  The Bengals rested starters in 2005 and 2009, followed by losses in their first playoff games.  In the old days 😉 Belichick always played his starters and had pretty good success.   

I think McDermott is more worried about injuries and will rest key starters for most if not all of the game.  Time will tell if that conservative strategy works...

Just now, wjag said:

And of course, Yolo has the definitive answer...

I do not like that answer. 

The last thing I want is the Bill's exposed to this.

If I were to Bill's front office, I would want video proof that Fitz had no contact with any other player yesterday in practice before I send my players out on a field on Sunday. 

1 minute ago, JTown said:

I do not like that answer. 

The last thing I want is the Bill's exposed to this.

If I were to Bill's front office, I would want video proof that Fitz had no contact with any other player yesterday in practice before I send my players out on a field on Sunday. 

They aren't catching it in games its the last thing you have to worry about.  

Just hope all our guys really double down on their own bubbles.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Georgia Bill said:

Unfortunately, the only real way to answer whether resting starters in the last game of the season is a good decision is AFTER you play the playoff game that comes next.  If you rested starters and lose the playoff game, it was a bad decision (blame placed on rust).  If you didn't rest starters, suffer key injuries, and lose the playoff game, it was a bad decision (blame placed on injuries).  

Since everything in advance is conjecture, our current positions on this really come down to which we are more worried about, injuries or loss of momentum.    The 2011 Packers rested Rodgers, then lost their first playoff game.  The Bengals rested starters in 2005 and 2009, followed by losses in their first playoff games.  In the old days 😉 Belichick always played his starters and had pretty good success.   

I think McDermott is more worried about injuries and will rest key starters for most if not all of the game.  Time will tell if that conservative strategy works...

Oh, I see we now have to also worry about CoVid with the Fitzpatrick news.   That skews things heavily towards resting starters...

• Like (+1) 1

I don't get the thinking (on the part of the Dolphins) about Tua not being considered a close contact, in particular given the article on ESPN several days ago about Fitz being viewed as a mentor, how they're in the same room together, etc.

But given that this is the way that the game will play out, hit 'em heavy early on, then literally pull in the rug and bring in the backups.  It would be absolutely Billsy for this team to have a COVID breakout in a year where that dark horse Super Bowl contenders thing finally becomes a reality.  And this squad has been anything but Billsy for the vast majority of this season.

Edited by Groin

18 minutes ago, Big C said:

Really don't see how Tua isn't a close contact, but I think I speak for everyone when I say BUBBLE UP JOSH and rest as many starters as possible this week. 

Yeldon tested positive and Singletary and Moss weren’t considered close contact.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

They aren't catching it in games its the last thing you have to worry about.  

Just hope all our guys really double down on their own bubbles.  

Please explain to me why you think that it cannot be transferred in a game.

3 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

However, besides the football reasons, there is a possibility of having to play on the road if we dont have the #2 seed. Considering that fans will be allowed to Bills Stadium, we will have some home field advantage and its another reason to want the #2 seed

This is what's so irritating about this conversation.

How could players (and coaches) NOTwant the convenience of not having to get on a plane for what will ultimately turn into 3 1/2 weeks if they keep winning in the playoffs?  On top of just the convenience and familiarity of staying and playing at home and easily getting home to families the same day?  Do you guys really think that doesn't matter to them a ton?  On top of that convenience, throw in all the Covid protocols and added risks of infection with travel.

The whole not playing the Ravens thing is something that the players and coaches really don't even have to think about here, but it IS an added bonus.  If we lock up the #2 seed and somehow draw the Ravens, so be it.  But the simple fact of the matter is that if we get the #2 seed, we're highly unlikely to play the Ravens.  Coaches and players might not care about that, but frankly I'll be happier if we're playing the Colts, Browns, or Dolphins in the wildcard round.  I want to see a playoff win goddamnit and the simple fact of the matter is that the Ravens are a much tougher opponent than those other 3 teams.

Play for the number 2 seed, period.  Scoreboard watch and pull starters when/if the Steelers clearly lose, but honestly with the Cleveland Covid situation, how much of a guarantee is that?

Aside from all those arguments with convenience of home games, extra Covid protocols for road games, and 1st round opponent, I'm pretty amazed at the amount of fans here who don't care about an extra playoff home game when fans are finally allowed in Bills stadium.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

Forfeit the game? I would strongly consider it, for real.

Put our boys in a safe and secure bubble wrap. Don’t go near the south beach nasty...

btw, masks do not work as well on beards!!

https://www.amazon.com/Holleyweb-5-Feet-Inflatable-Bumper-Bubble/dp/B00OY9MH6I

You know this is really not such a bad idea.  One that may deserve consideration If more of an outbreak transpires IMO.

Browns may not like the idea, but you shouldn't lose to the Jets...

Edited by Figster

Just now, JTown said:

I don't think there is one case, high school, college or NFL traced to being transferred in a game.  If you're asking for an absolute here, I don't think that exists.

1 minute ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Players wouldn’t get paid.. won’t happen

Good point

Unless players agreed its not worth the risk. ( could actually cost them $$$$ in missed playoff games going forward by losing key players) 

Edited by Figster

3 minutes ago, JTown said:

Um.  The data?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/13/sports/football/covid-nfl-fans-players.html

And the NFL Medical chief himself:

Games aren’t spreading the virus. And that’s games, believe it or not, in just about any sport. I’ve been saying for a while that I couldn’t think of a single example of the virus being transmitted on the field, and Sills confirmed that for me.

“We have seen zero evidence of transmission player-to-player on the field, either during games or practices, which I think is an important and powerful statement,” Sills said. “And it also confirms what other sports leagues have found around the world. We regularly communicate with World Rugby, Australian rules football, European soccer leagues. To date, no one has documented a case of player-to-player transmission in a field sporting environment.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/11/09/mmqb-week-9-lamar-jackson-ravens-growing-dolphins-giants-saints

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I think Allen and the fully healthy starters should play 2 or 3 series.   Basically follow what they did last year against the Jets in the last game.

If Brown is back I would have him play the entire first half and the first offensive series in the 2nd half to acclimatize for the playoff game.

I don't get the fear of Baltimore.  EVERY AFC playoff team is dangerous if you don't bring your A game.  IMO the Bills defense matches up well against the Ravens with their athletic & fast LB's & Safeties.  And the Baltimore defense seems to have lost a step.  This should mean that unless it's a howling windstorm the Bills could go up and down the field like the Browns did.

This is about an extra home game for players and coaches with fans in the stands for the first home playoff games since the mid 90s.  It's not about 1st round opponent for players and coaches.  As fans, I would think we would all be happier seeing the Colts, Browns or Dolphins in round 1 rather than the Ravens.

But despite fan preference on 1st round draw, the benefit of an extra week at home for players and coaches and fans finally allowed in the stands for the 1st time all season should be reason enough for McDermott to want to ensure we lock up the #2 seed, which we have full control over.

C'mon guys... why is this getting so complicated?

giphy.gif

it’s almost MORE risky from the NFL policy state than actual covid positive standpoint.

Look—-Browns lost all WR but none actually have covid. So, you have to defend both the really covid but more important is keeping BILLS away from Miami and all other contacts. 

In some ways, bills team atmosphere could be used as a competitive advantage. 

32 minutes ago, JTown said:

Not saying it couldn’t happen....

but when the players are testing everyday prior to the game as well as on game day... it’s much harder to get the virus if nobody has it on the field.

Edited by CEN-CAL17

31 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Yeldon tested positive and Singletary and Moss weren’t considered close contact.

Yeldon may be kept separate from them as a COVID back similar to Jake Fromm with the QBs. Tua and Fitz are always around each other. But I don't know everything about the contact tracing so it's moot. 

Just now, Penfield45 said:

everything from McD press conferences sound like he won't be playing starters this weekend. Allen might get the 1st quarter but thats it. I can see White/Diggs/Milano being rested 

Literally NOTHING Sean has said sounds like anything. Try changing your channel to Real Time.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Understood. I thought you were on the "sit everyone" train.

This is definitely a tough call and I'm glad I'm not the one that has to make it. 

There is definitely merit to keeping momentum going, ending the season with a win, sweeping the division, and knocking the Dolphins out of the playoffs. On the other hand...if, in the pursuit of those goals, Josh Allen or Stefon Diggs or Tre White gets injured, we'll all be ready to storm One Bills Drive with pitchforks. 

Tough call.

I have a question then:

Why isn't everyone storming One Bills Drive with pitchforks right now?  We didn't rest our starters against the Patriots despite having the division locked up and a home game in the wildcard round locked up.

Basically, our scenarios last week in losing to the Patriots and then losing this week would have been virtually the same as us losing this week.  We would get a home game in the playoffs and then potentially have to go on the road in round 2.

And Cole Beasely--probably our 3rd most important offensive player--got injured and it looks like there's a chance he might miss some time... maybe even a playoff game.

So why isn't everyone running with pitchforks to One Bills Drive?

If you guys believe we should rest our starters this week, we should have rested them last week also in order to avoid injury like the one that happened to one of our most critical offensive players.

2 hours ago, Figster said:

I see nothing gained by risking starters in a next to meaningless game. Beasley was injured in garbage time. I also see nothing gained by allowing a spoiler team ( Browns) into the playoffs over Fitzy and the Fish. Let the bearded one get his last crack at the playoffs. Tua won't last a quarter...

Again, what was gained last Monday by playing all of our starters in a next to meaningless game?

• Thank you (+1) 1