Week 17: Dolphins at Bills - Squish the Fish playoff hopes and dreams

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

That’s the thing. Herbert has not had the issues of Tua, not even close. Herbert’s first game nearly knocked off the Chiefs. He wasn’t named the starter until minutes before the game, only because a doctor punctured the lung of Tyrod Taylor. 

Growth spurts as in...Physical Growth. Not performance growth. Tua isn’t getting taller, he’s not growing into a bigger quarterback.  🤷🏻‍♂️

Take a few minutes and read “one” article discussing Herbert and Tua IRT the draft. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/justin-herbert-vs-tua-tagovailoa-who-has-better-accuracy-arm-strength-and-scrambling-ability/amp/

Tua and Herbert are different prospects. I wouldn't expect the prototypical player to have the same weaknesses as a short left-handed QB. Tua almost knocked out the Cheifs as well. It didn't happen for either.

I don't think height is an issue either. His lack of mobility is. The fact that he isn't mobile to go along with a young and inexperienced OL has been hard to watch at times. 

I read the article and it didn't tell me anything that I didn't already know. If anything it just reiterates what we already know, prototypical QBs translates better in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DolFAN93 said:

Tua and Herbert are different prospects. I wouldn't expect the prototypical player to have the same weaknesses as a short left-handed QB. Tua almost knocked out the Cheifs as well. It didn't happen for either.

I don't think height is an issue either. His lack of mobility is. The fact that he isn't mobile to go along with a young and inexperienced OL has been hard to watch at times. 

I read the article and it didn't tell me anything that I didn't already know. If anything it just reiterates what we already know, prototypical QBs translates better in the NFL.

Lack of arm strength. Go way back to the first comments. Which is what the article says, lack of arm strength. Which is what I said. You offered comments suggesting arm strength is not a concern. He’s throwing for 90 yards in a game and getting yanked. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.  

The Dolphins could’ve drafted Curtis Painter and you would be proclaiming him as the next Dan Marino (could never get by Kelly). 

Tua has the reputation of a great teammate. He’ll make a terrific coach someday. 

29 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Way too early to say who a team would rather have for the long-term future between Herbert and Tua.  We will see in a few years.  But definitely fair to say that Herbert has had a better start to his career if thats heavily influenced by his surrounding talent (Keenan Allen who is a stud, Mike Willams,.Hunter Henry, Ekeler, etc) i think that is also fair assessment.  But Herbert looks more decisive and has had one of the best rookie Qb seasons in history.

Tua looks like a game manager to me right now, not someone who is going to turn it over much at all, but also not.going to win you a game.  Exactly why a defensive minded coach why Flores prefers him to Fitz (who is turnover prone at times), but also why Fitz comes in "to win it". 

Im sorry but if I was a dolphins fan, let alone Tua, I have no clue how I condone that (great, it won you guys the Raiders game, u still lost doing the same thing against Denver).  Training wheels should be coming off at some point

Flores for sure prefers Tua's passiveness instead of Fitz. I don't think he's a game manager, he's lead multiple game-winning drives already, but I do understand why you feel that way. His play has been on-off. 

That's the next step. As much as I'd like to blame the supporting cast, which is a factor, when will he elevate the team when things aren't looking the greatest? I believe that's why Flores keeps starting him; he's hoping that spark eventually comes on consistently.

5 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

Lack of arm strength. Go way back to the first comments. Which is what the article says, lack of arm strength. Which is what I said. You offered comments suggesting arm strength is not a concern. He’s throwing for 90 yards in a game and getting yanked. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.  

The Dolphins could’ve drafted Curtis Painter and you would be proclaiming him as the next Dan Marino (could never get by Kelly). 

Tua has the reputation of a great teammate. He’ll make a terrific coach someday. 

From his play as a Dolphin, his arm strength hasn't been an issue. Tua has made those exact throws that Chris stated in his article. Stats only tell a percentage of the story, actually viewing the games fills in the rest. If any other QB threw for 90 yards in a game would you assume they struggled or their arm strength wasn't strong enough to make the throws? 

Time will tell.

Edited by DolFAN93

51 minutes ago, DolFAN93 said:

Flores for sure prefers Tua's passiveness instead of Fitz. I don't think he's a game manager, he's lead multiple game-winning drives already, but I do understand why you feel that way. His play has been on-off. 

That's the next step. As much as I'd like to blame the supporting cast, which is a factor, when will he elevate the team when things aren't looking the greatest? I believe that's why Flores keeps starting him; he's hoping that spark eventually comes on consistently.

From his play as a Dolphin, his arm strength hasn't been an issue. Tua has made those exact throws that Chris stated in his article. Stats only tell a percentage of the story, actually viewing the games fills in the rest. If any other QB threw for 90 yards in a game would you assume they struggled or their arm strength wasn't strong enough to make the throws? 

Time will tell.

I’ve watched Tua almost every game he’s started. His arm is fine, not bad and not good. It’s just ok... he can make most of the throws, but overall his ball lacks real zip, it looks like it take awhile to get where it’s going. They’re protecting him from making those throws for a variety of reasons, which does say something. 

I feel like they run the same play action pass with a TE or WR slipping out and running parallel to Tua and it goes for 3-4 yards at least 10 times every game. 

• Like (+1) 1

Looks like the Steelers are going to sacrifice Mason Rudolph to the Browns ;)

WTF are they thinking? 

Isn't there enough bad blood without antagonising them?

This shouldn't end well for the Rednosed Reindeer ;) 

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

How about Fromm plays some?

He is the designated emergency covid relief QB 

I don't think the coaches are going to use that ace in the hole now.

I would think we would see Davis Webbs package before Fromm ;) 

Edited by JMF2006
spelling

4 hours ago, DolFAN93 said:

Time will tell.

Or he is a Tyrod TaylorV2 ;) 

TT needed the WR to be uncovered to throw an out route.

Like the announcers say there is NFL open and Alabama open.....good NFL teams usually don't blow coverages that bad.

So he just game manages hoping to get a big play on D or ST

Edited by JMF2006

10 hours ago, KellyToTasker said:

The College game and the NFL are completely different in speed. You asked where the week arm rhetoric is coming from, I told you. 

What, he had 20 pass attempts the other night for 90+ yards? Why do you think that is? His ball takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R to get anywhere. 

There’s a difference in lofting a ball 50 yards down the field and being able to drive the ball to all levels of the field/through the defense. 

He is absolutely limited in the number of throws that he can make. He knows it. The defenses know it. 

This is what I have observed as well.  His decision making other QB skill may get better as he gains experience, but strong armed he is not.

10 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Chris Simms just emphatically said on PFT that the Bills should do whatever they have to do to avoid playing the Ravens. He gets it.

I mean, I think the Bills are a better team this year. But I would much rather play the Phins, Colts or even the Browns.

Also, I want the Chiefs to play someone who has a chance to upset them

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Im not impressed either as I agree with your assessment.

But he is still a rookie and my point was the Dolphins have a fantastic roster now, and going forward. (Will pick 3rd this year as they have Houston’s 1st rounder)

If he does improve, (which is very possible) Dolphins are going to be a team to be reckon with for many years.

If they get his WR from ‘Bama it could be trouble.

7 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

super early forcast but looks like its going to snow

Imo Singletary and Moss need to start the whole game. They need reps before the playoffs....

Dude, what? Why? 

if there are players on this team that need reps before the playoffs, it isn’t them. I’m all for them suiting up and getting some carries, but let T. Jones or Yeldon take the majority of the beating.

If the staff is looking to have players take more reps before the playoffs, give them to guys like Epinessa

FWIW, Singletary and Moss both have over 100 carries this season. In a game where they are likely going to roll with their back up QB and maybe even second string OL, I don’t see a value in giving them more Pt

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, DolFAN93 said:

Lol. Tua almost knocked off the chiefs? His defense gift wrapped 4 turnovers and Tua and his offense did nothing with them until it was too late...

10 hours ago, DolFAN93 said:

Thanks for the analysis. If you wanted to argue trust in his arm, I'd agree with you. Tua does a lot of second-guessing because I'd assume he's not used to the speed of the NFL yet. I don't see a limited arm though, just slow processing.

That's the only flaw I'm seeing. You can tell his mental clock is still in college when he's sitting in the pocket for too long. If he learns to speed that up, he'll be fine.

A guy who played three seasons at Alabama should have no real issues adjusting to the speed of the NFL—sure it’s different, but it’s not that different.  I understand he’s just a rookie, but Tua looks to me like a career backup.

I’m impressed with the Dolphins and your coach, but I’m eternally grateful that you guys didn’t pick Justin Herbert.  I think you’re going to need to start over at QB, probably in the 2022 draft.  Do you think they re-up Fitz?

And thanks for stopping by. It’s nice to hear respectful opinions from fans of other teams...makes this a better place.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1