Week 17: Dolphins at Bills - Squish the Fish playoff hopes and dreams

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, DolFAN93 said:

Thank you. You guys have every right to be confident, but some of y'all are speaking as if we're the Jets or Jaguars. We've had some bad games but have also hung with you guys earlier in the year and were a few missed penalties away from beating the defending SB champions.

Welcome to the board, bro! No, you’re not the Jets or Jaguars that’s for sure.

That said, Tua is overhyped. It’s been crazy to me, the hype that he has had. Hopefully your team will keep believing in a below average quarterback. It bodes well for us for them to do so.

2 hours ago, r00tabaga said:

Not impressed with the kid. Undersized, Pennington-esque arm talent, lefty, too conservative, etc.

...i’d be more worried if The Beard was playing

Im not impressed either as I agree with your assessment.

But he is still a rookie and my point was the Dolphins have a fantastic roster now, and going forward. (Will pick 3rd this year as they have Houston’s 1st rounder)

If he does improve, (which is very possible) Dolphins are going to be a team to be reckon with for many years.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, DolFAN93 said:

Thank you. You guys have every right to be confident, but some of y'all are speaking as if we're the Jets or Jaguars. We've had some bad games but have also hung with you guys earlier in the year and were a few missed penalties away from beating the defending SB champions.

No argument here. You have had some very good luck, but being good enhances that. You are a tough team no doubt...

1 hour ago, KellyToTasker said:

The College game and the NFL are completely different in speed. You asked where the week arm rhetoric is coming from, I told you. 

What, he had 20 pass attempts the other night for 90+ yards? Why do you think that is? His ball takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R to get anywhere. 

There’s a difference in lofting a ball 50 yards down the field and being able to drive the ball to all levels of the field/through the defense. 

He is absolutely limited in the number of throws that he can make. He knows it. The defenses know it. 

Thanks for the analysis. If you wanted to argue trust in his arm, I'd agree with you. Tua does a lot of second-guessing because I'd assume he's not used to the speed of the NFL yet. I don't see a limited arm though, just slow processing.

1 hour ago, Pokebball said:

The NFL is so much faster than college.  And the game is so much more complicated.  Tua needs to grow into the NFL, I think it's as simple as that.  Will he?  Some do.  Some can't. Money is saying he will.  

That's the only flaw I'm seeing. You can tell his mental clock is still in college when he's sitting in the pocket for too long. If he learns to speed that up, he'll be fine.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DolFAN93 said:

Besides the Raiders and I guess the Rams game, what luck have the Dolphins had?

Isn’t that enough? There were games you got lucky bounces in turnovers. I’d have to go back and watch some of the wins you got earlier to remember but it’s not that important to me, I just remember seeing it for a number of games.  It’s not sustainable though. You will have to improve next year to keep this amount of wins you got this year.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Isn’t that enough? There were games you got lucky bounces in turnovers. I’d have to go back and watch some of the wins you got earlier to remember but it’s not that important to me, I just remember seeing it for a number of games.  It’s not sustainable though. You will have to improve next year to keep this amount of wins you got this year.

My bad. Maybe it's because I'm in enemy territory lol. I've heard this on Twitter from Bills fans too as if majority of Miami's wins have been because of luck. Turnovers aren't sustainable, but unless they're absolutely vital in determining the outcome of a game I wouldn't use that as to why Miami has been successful. They definitely have to improve and I think (hope) they will especially with all they have to work with next offseason.

19 minutes ago, DolFAN93 said:

Thanks for the analysis. If you wanted to argue trust in his arm, I'd agree with you. Tua does a lot of second-guessing because I'd assume he's not used to the speed of the NFL yet. I don't see a limited arm though, just slow processing.

That's the only flaw I'm seeing. You can tell his mental clock is still in college when he's sitting in the pocket for too long. If he learns to speed that up, he'll be fine.

Yeah, I’m not describing his ability to process. Watch him play, read professional takes on him. It’s all on the weaker end of arm strength. His positives as a QB coming out of Bama had NOTHING to do with arm strength. He’s a fully grown man, there’s no more growth spurts coming, it’s not going to change. His noodle arm is here, for good. 

Saying anything else is denial. 

By the way. His strength coming out was the ability to process the field. UH OH. He’s even having trouble with that AND he doesn’t have the arm strength to mask his late reads. 

If it could be done over, the Dolphins take Herbert all day (and you would too, Herbert is actually good). 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

Yeah, I’m not describing his ability to process. Watch him play, read professional takes on him. It’s all on the weaker end of arm strength. His positives as a QB coming out of Bama had NOTHING to do with arm strength. He’s a fully grown man, there’s no more growth spurts coming, it’s not going to change. His noodle arm is here, for good. 

Saying anything else is denial. 

By the way. His strength coming out was the ability to process the field. UH OH. He’s even having trouble with that AND he doesn’t have the arm strength to mask his late reads. 

If it could be done over, the Dolphins take Herbert all day (and you would too, Herbert is actually good). 

I wouldn't take Herbert if we had a redo. Tua has played half of the games that Herbert has. If he had these problems for 15 games I'd definitely take Herbert, but even then these guys aren't finished products. 

His strength coming out was processing the field but even you just admitted that the athletes in the NFL are playing at a different speed. So do we write him off because he's slowly adjusting to it?

And analysts mostly said that while his arm isn't the strongest, he has enough to make throws in the league. I dont recall one professional take insisting that he has a "noodle" arm. No growth spurt coming huh? Weren't your fans ready to get rid of Allen after his rookie season?

We can agree to disagree.

Edited by DolFAN93
Edit
  • Haha (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, DolFAN93 said:

My bad. Maybe it's because I'm in enemy territory lol. I've heard this on Twitter from Bills fans too as if majority of Miami's wins have been because of luck. Turnovers aren't sustainable, but unless they're absolutely vital in determining the outcome of a game I wouldn't use that as to why Miami has been successful. They definitely have to improve and I think (hope) they will especially with all they have to work with next offseason.

Miami reminds me a lot of Pittsburgh from last year, from a defensive (and in Miami case, S/T as well) to help score points and influence games.  Pittsburghs defense was more suffocating, whereas Miami's defense has been giving up decent yardage but very efficient/great at generating pressure looks and turnovers.  Flores is great at disguising his pressure packages.  Miami also has a much better QB (if its Tua or Fitz) then the steelers debacle last yr and easier schedule.

That said, I would rate Miami's offense below any other Afc contending playoff team and why I think they are the easiest competition.  That Denver game was ugly, Raiders should have been a loss if Gruden didn't overthink it, and Rams/Cardinals were fluke games with defensive and S/t scores. Credit due to Miami still for getting the wins, but could easily be a 8-7 team right now and thats what Miami feels like to me from watching them play (a slightly above .500 team, with young talent but not enough playmakers on offense yet and defense getting fortunate at key times).  With a Qb being groomed for the future, who looks to be more conservative with his decision making right now.  

Id love to play Miami round 1 of playoffs, we shall see

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, DolFAN93 said:

The 2020 Dolphins remind me of the Bills' 2017 season, where we got into the playoffs thanks to Andy Dalton and the Bengals.  The Bills had some crazy turnover advantage early in the season which wasn't sustainable (and, thanks to Nathan Peterman's game against the Chargers, was quickly eaten into), and we had several bounces go our way in our wins.

I will agree with most others here - Fitz should be playing this game with Tua on the bench.  There are few quarterbacks in the league better than "Good Fitz"... and Fitz tends to put up really good performances against Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DolFAN93 said:

I wouldn't take Herbert if we had a redo. Tua has played half of the games that Herbert has. If he had these problems for 15 games I'd definitely take Herbert, but even then these guys aren't finished products. 

His strength coming out was processing the field but even you just admitted that the athletes in the NFL are playing at a different speed. So do we write him off because he's slowly adjusting to it?

And analysts mostly said that while his arm isn't the strongest, he has enough to make throws in the league. I dont recall one professional take insisting that he has a "noodle" arm. No growth spurt coming huh? Weren't your fans ready to get rid of Allen after his rookie season?

That’s the thing. Herbert has not had the issues of Tua, not even close. Herbert’s first game nearly knocked off the Chiefs. He wasn’t named the starter until minutes before the game, only because a doctor punctured the lung of Tyrod Taylor. 

Growth spurts as in...Physical Growth. Not performance growth. Tua isn’t getting taller, he’s not growing into a bigger quarterback.  🤷🏻‍♂️

Take a few minutes and read “one” article discussing Herbert and Tua IRT the draft. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/justin-herbert-vs-tua-tagovailoa-who-has-better-accuracy-arm-strength-and-scrambling-ability/amp/

14 minutes ago, DolFAN93 said:

Way too early to say who a team would rather have for the long-term future between Herbert and Tua.  We will see in a few years.  But definitely fair to say that Herbert has had a better start to his career if thats heavily influenced by his surrounding talent (Keenan Allen who is a stud, Mike Willams,.Hunter Henry, Ekeler, etc) i think that is also fair assessment.  But Herbert looks more decisive and has had one of the best rookie Qb seasons in history.

Tua looks like a game manager to me right now, not someone who is going to turn it over much at all, but also not.going to win you a game.  Exactly why a defensive minded coach why Flores prefers him to Fitz (who is turnover prone at times), but also why Fitz comes in "to win it". 

Im sorry but if I was a dolphins fan, let alone Tua, I have no clue how I condone that (great, it won you guys the Raiders game, u still lost doing the same thing against Denver).  Training wheels should be coming off at some point

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Miami reminds me a lot of Pittsburgh from last year, from a defensive (and in Miami case, S/T as well) to help score points and influence games.  Pittsburghs defense was more suffocating, whereas Miami's defense has been giving up decent yardage but very efficient/great at generating pressure looks and turnovers.  Flores is great at disguising his pressure packages.  Miami also has a much better QB (if its Tua or Fitz) then the steelers debacle last yr and easier schedule.

That said, I would rate Miami's offense below any other Afc contending playoff team and why I think they are the easiest competition.  That Denver game was ugly, Raiders should have been a loss if Gruden didn't overthink it, and Rams/Cardinals were fluke games with defensive and S/t scores. Credit due to Miami still for getting the wins, but could easily be a 8-7 team right now and thats what Miami feels like to me from watching them play (a slightly above .500 team, with young talent but not enough playmakers on offense yet and defense getting fortunate at key times).  With a Qb being groomed for the future, who looks to be more conservative with his decision making right now.  

Id love to play Miami round 1 of playoffs, we shall see

Can't disagree with any of that. Our offense is very opportunistic. I'd rather not face you guys and instead take on the Titans if we can make it to the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2