Week 14: Steelers at Bills on SNF

YoloinOhio

The Steelers are overrated. Every team in the AFC North is overrated in my opinion. Even the Bengals, before Burrows went down everyone was still giving that team the benefit of the doubt. They got a cupcake schedule.  Heading into the bye I said we’d beat the Steelers, but now with our D coming back to life I think we are gonna crush them.  Our team is a legit contender from here on out as long as we stay healthy. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I just had a couple little *blink*blink* "what wormhole did I just fall into?" experiences

First, Collinsworth appeared on One Bills Live with Tasker and Chris Brown.  He made the comment at one point that on Monday night, Josh Allen could just stand there in the pocket and do whatever he liked.  Well, there were times when that was true, but there were other times when Josh was moving around, making 1-3 guys miss in order to buy time and make a throw; other times he rolled out either due to pressure or to get a better throwing lane to a secondary defender.  He also passed up some short throws to open guys that were there if he had more pressure.

Second, walking over to Steelerland and listening to their One Bills Live equivalent.  They referenced Nexgen stats talking about how Josh Allen doesn't like to be pressured and how poorly he performs under pressure.  My understanding was that Josh Allen has a 67% pass completion rating against the blitz.  Anyone got ideas what they're talking about?  I'm not doubting some such stats exist, just curious what they are.   Anyway interesting listen

No idea wtf they are talking about...

pressure.jpg

Next Gen Edge: Buffalo Bills' short pass defense could stifle Pittsburgh Steelers (nfl.com)

Nice stats in this quick vid

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

First, Collinsworth appeared on One Bills Live with Tasker and Chris Brown.  He made the comment at one point that on Monday night, Josh Allen could just stand there in the pocket and do whatever he liked.  Well, there were times when that was true, but there were other times when Josh was moving around, making 1-3 guys miss in order to buy time and make a throw; other times he rolled out either due to pressure or to get a better throwing lane to a secondary defender.  He also passed up some short throws to open guys that were there if he had more pressure.

I’ve stopped complaining about Collinsworth because for all of his knowledge and ability to analyze the game he will always have an agenda.  It is what it is.  He was one of those who didn’t think Josh could ever “make it” and so he has to come up with an explanation for his success other than that he was wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BananaB said:

The Steelers are overrated. Every team in the AFC North is overrated in my opinion. Even the Bengals, before Burrows went down everyone was still giving that team the benefit of the doubt. They got a cupcake schedule.  Heading into the bye I said we’d beat the Steelers, but now with our D coming back to life I think we are gonna crush them.  Our team is a legit contender from here on out as long as we stay healthy. 

Browns opened my eyes with that Tennessee win, but overall body of work - You’re right - the resumes of Pittsburgh and Cleveland aren’t that impressive (through no fault of their own).  

I honestly don’t know what to make of the Steelers.  

Big Ben is a savvy vet, and they have really good WR’s, but they struggle to push the ball down the field or run, so everything they do seems very reliant on YAC.  

Their defense has some really good players, but they’ve also been decimated by injury.  Tough break for them because they have a good shot this year with the record they’ve accumulated, but the losses of Dupree and Bush are massive, and by the time they come back next year, Dupree and JuJu may be on different teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, eball said:

I’ve stopped complaining about Collinsworth because for all of his knowledge and ability to analyze the game he will always have an agenda.  It is what it is.  He was one of those who didn’t think Josh could ever “make it” and so he has to come up with an explanation for his success other than that he was wrong.

He was actually quite complimentary of Josh, although in a bit of a self-justifcatory and put-down kind of way.  He said he looked like a completely different player, that he looked like "a real NFL QB".

Starts at 12:32 in the show if you want to skip the kind of painful Brown quizzing Tasker on Bills WR portion.

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Browns opened my eyes with that Tennessee win, but overall body of work - You’re right - the resumes of Pittsburgh and Cleveland aren’t that impressive (through no fault of their own).  

I honestly don’t know what to make of the Steelers.  

Big Ben is a savvy vet, and they have really good WR’s, but they struggle to push the ball down the field or run, so everything they do seems very reliant on YAC.  

Their defense has some really good players, but they’ve also been decimated by injury.  Tough break for them because they have a good shot this year with the record they’ve accumulated, but the losses of Dupree and Bush are massive, and by the time they come back next year, Dupree and JuJu may be on different teams. 

Good statement game for the Browns, but I think if they reverse that 4th down call on the Titans first drive it may of been a whole different game. After Browns scored Henry fumbles and then they are down 17 and totally taken off their game plan. No doubt the Browns had their way with them  but I’m not sure if it was all the Browns or just the Titans having a bad game. Jmo

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

pressure.jpg

Next Gen Edge: Buffalo Bills' short pass defense could stifle Pittsburgh Steelers (nfl.com)

Ummm Josh evades pressure nearly 30% 

twice that of heh hem MVP Lamar the “ultimate” athlete 

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Ummm Josh evades pressure nearly 30% 

twice that of heh hem MVP Lamar the “ultimate” athlete

I think that might be a stat where you'd have to look carefully at what's being measured - in this case it states "evaded pressure at time of throw".

I think if Lamar gets pressured, he runs, so there's no "time of throw" and it wouldn't show up in that stat.

That's just a hunch though.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that might be a stat where you'd have to look carefully at what's being measured - in this case it states "evaded pressure at time of throw".

I think if Lamar gets pressured, he runs, so there's no "time of throw" and it wouldn't show up in that stat.

That's just a hunch though.

He's also had over 120 less passing attempts compared to the other QB's on that list.

Allen: 428

Murray: 426

Ryan: 466

Mahomes: 463

Jackson: 293

If you're not passing as much as other QB's, there's less of a chance that he's being pressured.

Edited by The Wiz

44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He was actually quite complimentary of Josh, although in a bit of a self-justifcatory and put-down kind of way.  He said he looked like a completely different player, that he looked like "a real NFL QB".

Starts at 12:32 in the show if you want to skip the kind of painful Brown quizzing Tasker on Bills WR portion.

OK I'll put in some transcription:

"I was literally blinking my eyes watching (Bills-49ers) last week.  Who is this guy?  They have just developed him into a real NFL QB.  This is the kid that was throwing it down the field to see how far he could throw it and then whenever things weren't open just take off and run.  This is a different guy now, he's playing QB, he's reading defenses.  I thought he looked great".

On the one hand, it's nice that Collinsworth is able to recognize that now.  On the other hand, I think it was pretty clear that Josh has been playing QB and reading defenses, certainly at the end of last year, and all this season.  I believe he read defense in the Pitts. game Collinsworth covered last year.  And QBs who take off and run, have been considered a "feature", an extra component of a QB's game that must be defended against - certainly since the time of Vick if not Steve Young.  It was highly complimentary to Josh now, I thought it reflected a kind of "blinders" to the developmental progress Josh has made since entering the league.

Anyway, Collinsworth said he sees Steelers-Bills as an "even game" which is "unusual for a 1 loss team" (21:50).  Said what he really likes about the Bills is the physical nature of their defense.  Said there's a lot of effort and a lot of looks, but they "don't screw it up".  Said that most teams that do as much, make mistakes and give up a free touchdown (Hap sez: well, we did last year vs the Ravens and vs Houston).  But 'these guys are getting it right'.

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

“Yeah, definitely,” he said. “I know that they definitely got some tendencies. We game planned for them pretty well that second game with the Jets. It was a close game. I’m definitely going to use what I learned that week and transfer some of it over to now.”

Unless of course, Daboll did a good job self-scouting after that 2nd game and Josh Allen's shoulder "got right" and those tendencies are now different....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"I was literally blinking my eyes watching (Bills-49ers) last week.  Who is this guy?  They have just developed him into a real NFL QB.  This is the kid that was throwing it down the field to see how far he could throw it and then whenever things weren't open just take off and run.  This is a different guy now, he's playing QB, he's reading defenses.  I thought he looked great".

On the one hand, it's nice that Collinsworth is able to recognize that now.  On the other hand, I think it was pretty clear that Josh has been playing QB and reading defenses, certainly at the end of last year, and all this season.  I believe he read defense in the Pitts. game Collinsworth covered last year.  And QBs who take off and run, have been considered a "feature", an extra component of a QB's game that must be defended against - certainly since the time of Vick if not Steve Young.  It was highly complimentary to Josh now, I thought it reflected a kind of "blinders" to the developmental progress Josh has made since entering the league.

Anyway, Collinsworth said he sees Steelers-Bills as an "even game" which is "unusual for a 1 loss team" (21:50).  Said what he really likes about the Bills is the physical nature of their defense.  Said there's a lot of effort and a lot of looks, but they "don't screw it up".  Said that most teams that do as much, make mistakes and give up a free touchdown (Hap sez: well, we did last year vs the Ravens and vs Houston).  But 'these guys are getting it right'.

“Yeah, definitely,” he said. “I know that they definitely got some tendencies. We game planned for them pretty well that second game with the Jets. It was a close game. I’m definitely going to use what I learned that week and transfer some of it over to now.”

Unless of course, Daboll did a good job self-scouting after that 2nd game and Josh Allen's shoulder "got right" and those tendencies are now different....

couple of things here. first on collinsworth.... is a qb passing for 20 tds and only 9 int with another 500 yds and 8td on the ground in 2019 not being "a real nfl qb"? geez.

and the to the "tendencies". If by tendencies, he means kroft tripping over his own feet and untimely penalties while still racking up over 400 yds of offense.... then ya, there were tendencies i guess.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Dabs hasn’t shown much In the way of adjusting blocking schemes for a specific player. We shouldn’t hold our breaths.

My guess is Daboll ran this by the analytics guys who told him it's better overall to just let them make their plays, then let the TJ Watts/Joey Bosas of the NFL dictate to your offensive game plan.  

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought he was very complimentary.  People I guess hear what they want to hear.

And yeah..  Tasker trying to remember Bills receivers was drawn out way to long.  

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The game the Bills didn't punt the ball and Allen had his quietest 300 yard game ever? Two TD's taken off the board that would be TD's 9 times out of 10. Also, because of the opponent pressure was never really on the Bills to go for it on 4th down. If we do, we probably convert a couple and extend drives for another TD or two.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TheProcess said:

I don’t get the Collinsworth hate on here. Can he drone on about the best teams/players? Sure, but what national sports personality doesn’t? I listened to his interview with Chris and Steve when he was on and he was really positive/high on the Bills. Sure, he’ll hype the Steelers on Sunday night, but they deserve it. They are an 11-1 football team. He’ll show the Bills love too though. 

Oh, I don't mind the things he says as much as I mind his super annoying voice.

• Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It just seemed like Collinsworth has not actually watched him play in a long, long time. Certainly not this year until the 49ers game. And it sounds like he didn't watch him much last year. Apparently he didn't see the Thanksgiving game because that was a good game by Allen. And he certainly didn't see the week 17 Dolphins game his rookie season where Allen accounted for 5 TD's and was over 65% completion percentage and a 114 rating.

People saying that Allen is completely different this year just haven't been watching closely. He has had moments of greatness since his rookie year. He just put it all together and is more consistent this year, plus actually has help on offense now. You see our WR's actually making tough catches now, something we haven't had for awhile (we saw it some last year too). None of us expected him to be THIS good this year, but it doesn't mean he is a completely different player.

A guy like Collinsworth doesn't watch the Bills unless he has to. He watches the "big" games and "big" teams and relies on the stats for everything else.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, wjag said:

I thought he was very complimentary.  People I guess hear what they want to hear.

And yeah..  Tasker trying to remember Bills receivers was drawn out way to long.  

He was very complimentary, but C'mon Man: "looks like a real NFL QB"? 

Last year with 20 TD,  9 INT and 3089 yds passing (138 less than the league MVP)?  what was he then, a "imaginary NFL QB"?  He'd already improved well beyond "throw the ball as far as I can" and "1 read, RUN" at that point during the Steelers game last year.  It's been a progression, it's not as though he stepped up last game and suddenly flipped a switch.

Yes, he was very complimentary.

• Like (+1) 3

I'm seeing a lot of "we need to establish the run" talk regarding this game, and I can certainly understand that -- especially with the Steelers down a few linebackers.

HOWEVER...I can't help but wonder if this will be another opportunity to sling the rock all over the yard.

I saw on Cover 1 this morning that the Steelers defense has faced the MOST empty sets of any defense in the league, and have surrendered the most yardage against that set. Knowing how much Allen and Daboll love empty sets any way, it might be just what the doctor ordered. It would help Josh ID what the defense is doing and would help keep the Steelers from employing some of their most exotic blitz packages.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If Avery Williamson’s scouting ability is the difference in the game, then more power to him. 

I’m sure it will help give players and understanding of things but the last time he saw us we were kind of discombobulated. I think we’re a different team from week 1 and a different team from when we played the Jets a second time as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

pressure.jpg

He is league average when pressured.  He is the best at evading pressure, and when not pressured is top of the league.  No differant than any qb in the history of football.  If they are ON.  The only way to stop them is pressure them.  Buffalo fans welcome to what its like having a good qb.  Basically, no matter what defensive scheme they play, the key to success is getting him on the ground.  I dont think this is a swipe at Allen but more a compliment.  Schematiclly, good luck.  You better pressure and not let him find a rythem.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm seeing a lot of "we need to establish the run" talk regarding this game, and I can certainly understand that -- especially with the Steelers down a few linebackers.

HOWEVER...I can't help but wonder if this will be another opportunity to sling the rock all over the yard.

I saw on Cover 1 this morning that the Steelers defense has faced the MOST empty sets of any defense in the league, and have surrendered the most yardage against that set. Knowing how much Allen and Daboll love empty sets any way, it might be just what the doctor ordered. It would help Josh ID what the defense is doing and would help keep the Steelers from employing some of their most exotic blitz packages.

I felt this way against the 49ers as well. 

If we are able to give Josh enough time to throw I think we’re able to continue to pass at a high volume. The Chargers blew us up two weeks ago and it caused major issues... Watt has that same ability to do what Bosa did. 

It’s going to come down to protection and getting Josh in a rhythm. If he gets some passes completed early on that first drive and moves the ball down the field like he’s been used to most of the year.. it’s going to be a long day for Pittsburgh. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

If Avery Williamson’s scouting ability is the difference in the game, then more power to him. 

I’m sure it will help give players and understanding of things but the last time he saw us we were kind of discombobulated. I think we’re a different team from week 1 and a different team from when we played the Jets a second time as well. 

Concur

7 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

If we are able to give Josh enough time to throw I think we’re able to continue to pass at a high volume. The Chargers blew us up two weeks ago and it caused major issues... Watt has that same ability to do what Bosa did. 

It’s going to come down to protection and getting Josh in a rhythm. If he gets some passes completed early on that first drive and moves the ball down the field like he’s been used to most of the year.. it’s going to be a long day for Pittsburgh. 

This would be a really good week to have a healthy John Brown.

I read that the Steelers defense does a really good job clogging up the middle of the field and making it a dangerous area to throw into -- but consequently, the areas outside the hashes are where to attack them most effectively. That being the case, it certainly helps that Joe Haden will miss the game. Diggs should have his opportunities. In my estimation, this may be a week of tough sledding for Cole Beasley, and we may need Gabriel Davis to step up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Part of why Bosa blew us up, from what I saw, was that Josh had guys open in the short, quick pass game and didn't take them.

One of the thing I liked best about the 49ers game was that Josh did take some of them. 

And it was the difference in the game at times , to move the chains and keep driving.

But there were still more to be taken.  One of the things that jumped out at me on film is how often, when Josh extended the play and launched a hair-raising tight window laser, there was an open receiver with a much easier throw available much earlier, sometimes on the same side of the field.  Example, there was a secondary route laser to Beasley down the R sideline where Diggs had been standing wide open about 5 yds downfield for, like EVER.  "Josh!  Gathering cobwebs here!  Hey kid!  Show a bro some love!"  When Josh rolled out right, Diggs even repositioned and crouched a bit, he was expecting the throw.

If Josh adjusts his mindset and takes more of those short quick passes that are being schemed into Daboll's plays (and are there for the taking), the ball will be gone before Watt arrives and we will be carving the Steelers up...dare I say...like roast duck?

Anyway, several have commented here that those short quick throws and screens are effectively an extension of the run game, and for us probably a more successful extension.  IF Josh will take them.  The Gunslinger is neither dead, nor is he sleeping.

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

This would be a really good week to have a healthy John Brown.

I read that the Steelers defense does a really good job clogging up the middle of the field and making it a dangerous area to throw into -- but consequently, the areas outside the hashes are where to attack them most effectively. That being the case, it certainly helps that Joe Haden will miss the game. Diggs should have his opportunities. In my estimation, this may be a week of tough sledding for Cole Beasley, and we may need Gabriel Davis to step up.

Except I think the same was true of SF last week...weren't most of Cole's receptions outside the hashes?  He even made a quick double toe-drag move I hadn't seen him flash before.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, NI Bills Fan said:

I'd be surprised if this hasn't been posted here already, but I thought it a good, encouraging read so thought I'd share. Maybe the wrong thread so apologies for that...

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/12/bills-josh-allen-details-why-he-took-something-from-aaron-rodgers-throwing-mechanics.html

I was looking for a good place to put this myself.  The embedded interview is really good IMO, worth a listen.

Wouldn't be amiss to give it its own thread IMHO.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Except I think the same was true of SF last week...weren't most of Cole's receptions outside the hashes?  He even made a quick double toe-drag move I hadn't seen him flash before.

Good point.

I'm curious to know how good the Steelers' nickel back (Mike Hilton, I believe?) is. I think a big part of Beasley's success against the 49ers is that they were down to their third or fourth string nickel. 

In any case, given that the Steelers defense leads the league in sacks, I hope Daboll has a good screen and quick-game audible package dialed up.

The steelers matchup poorly vs our offense imo.  Yes, Watt will get a sack or 2 but there is 0 reason to be scared of their pass defense.  They played trash Qbs or horrid olines all season.  Buffalo is favored for a reason.  Pittsburgh would need a complete turn around on offense to score enough to beat us.  Only reason I think about slowing down and running more is if the weather is bad.

13 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This was the game in which the Bills didn't punt right?  It was a series of weird stuff that happened to keep us out of the end zone but if the Jets D figured the Bills out they sure didn't show it that day.

He's not wrong. On the goal line they love the play action half roll to the left with the te dragging across the back of the EZ. They run it all the time

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The steelers matchup poorly vs our offense imo.  Yes, Watt will get a sack or 2 but there is 0 reason to be scared of their pass defense.  They played trash Qbs or horrid olines all season.  Buffalo is favored for a reason.  Pittsburgh would need a complete turn around on offense to score enough to beat us.  Only reason I think about slowing down and running more is if the weather is bad.

They’ve also had Bud Dupree most of the year to account for much of their defensive numbers.  Dupree was playing lights out in a contract year. 

26 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

It looks like the Steelers aren’t traveling to Buffalo until tomorrow on game day.

Not really surprised. About an hour flight and games not until Sunday night. 

Smart to let their guys rest at home the night before. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Good point.

I'm curious to know how good the Steelers' nickel back (Mike Hilton, I believe?) is. I think a big part of Beasley's success against the 49ers is that they were down to their third or fourth string nickel. 

In any case, given that the Steelers defense leads the league in sacks, I hope Daboll has a good screen and quick-game audible package dialed up.

Hilton is very good, as is Sutton.  

The Steeler defense, even with missing pieces, is going to be tough.  Heyward, Tuitt, Alamulu (ex Jags 1st rounder) have been playing great in their front 3.  Then Watt is a beast, and in the secondary Nelson is good and Minkah is outstanding.  

I think someone mentioned the "empty sets" against the Steelers, and agree thats a great plan. Forces them out of some of their exotic blitzes, ie: middle lb and corner blitzes (which they use alot with Hilton), and more into a straight 4 man rush/stunts.  Tomlin isn't shy about sending 5 or even 6 against empty tho either, especially if we pick them part with a 4 man rush...he isn't going to set back and let teams drive the field, he's super aggressive almost an opposite of Frazier.

Like Wash did last week, need to take advantage of some quick passing, then make them pay on the blitzes with occasional deep shots or YAC.  This is a game I wouldn't mind seeing Yeldon active for, as that is another area to attack them with.  

Now all that said, Haden and Spillane being out is HUGE. Haden has come alive and been a lockdown corner for them, and Spillane has been a big surprise filling in for Bush (he's been a very reliable cover LB).  Then with Vince Williams out (who is their thumper, and typical MLB blitzer), this could be a much more conservative defense look to at least start the game

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

I think it is a huge plus for us that we've already played Bosa and saw how he wrecked our rhythm that day. And since that was jut two games ago I'm pretty confident we will have a plan going into this one in how to limit TJ's effectiveness. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I'm not looking for the Bills to go 2TEs and run the ball. I want them to go spread and hit them with occasional runs up the gut and some throws to RBs to slow Watt/Heyward down. Have Moss make them make some business decisions 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I think it is a huge plus for us that we've already played Bosa and saw how he wrecked our rhythm that day. And since that was jut two games ago I'm pretty confident we will have a plan going into this one in how to limit TJ's effectiveness. 

Yes, for sure. Plus we faced Watt last year as well when their defense was at full(er) strength and managed to a good him wrecking the game... that being said he played a great game 

4 tackles, 2 TFL, 2 QB hits, 1 FF, 0.5 sack and 1 PD. 

Hard to outright stop him, just gotta keep him in check. 

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This was the game in which the Bills didn't punt right?  It was a series of weird stuff that happened to keep us out of the end zone but if the Jets D figured the Bills out they sure didn't show it that day.

Yeah, the Jets figured out our tendencies enough to hold us to 422 yards of offense, including 307 passing yards by Allen, and nearly 35 minutes of possession time. True, we didn’t find the end zone and I give the Jets credit for that, but we shot ourselves in the foot time after time with 11 penalties for over 100 yards as well. 

• Like (+1) 1