How you felt about the win

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

1000%

10000%

Obviously I'm very upset about this win. The Bills fall to 6-2, they've only won games against teams that are worse than them, and Josh hasn't thrown for 300 yards in at least 1 game in a row now.

The real question is: How would you guys feel about this win if we had Tom Brady as our QB? And lets say Cleo Lemon is the QB for the Pats. And he doesn't fumble at the end of the game but instead Brady does!

Then what guys? Then how do you all feel?

Edited by Tuel Time
  • Haha (+1) 1

I bet the coach and players would be shocked by some so called fans attitude toward this W.

They know there is work to do but this team wasn't around for the drought and for 90% of this team the the drought was one year in between two playoff years.

So we didn't hold them to 4 yds in the second half they aren't the Jets and Gase.

They were playing for their season with their backs against the wall and in so many years past they would have won and put the Bills season in jeopardy.

To win like they did just might of crushed the Pats spirit as they thought they had the Bills on the ropes.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Don't get ahead of yourself.  We haven't made a playoff run yet.

But we did just significantly increase the odds of being in the playoffs!!    Over 80% IMO.  Would be interesting to see the Vegas odds increase.

We did significantly increase the odds of being the AFC East division winners!! 

Also increases odds of the steady of the Bills, not only 3 out of 4 playoff years, but this year has the added improvement of hopefully (odds on now thanks to this huge win) being the division winner.  Year over year improvement once again.

And with those increases the Bills significantly increased their relevance for the remainder of this year and next year.  More publicity, probably more prime time games next year.

Huge, huge win.

• Like (+1) 1

Wins are good.Losses are bad. Not just from a standings and playoff standpoint, but from a confidence and learning one as well. The team needs to know that they can win in different ways. Relying on the Zimmer punch out was not in the game plan, but that was huge for a struggling defence. The drop in the EZ by Davis was not in the game plan, but he will learn from that and, as he showed early this season, he can also make that catch and harder ones as well. So, I feel just fine is the answer to the OP’s query.

• Like (+1) 1

Tom Brady had some rough games with that team last year, and their team is FAR worse on both sides of the ball this year.

Brady is now playing with a team with a ton of talent, so yeah, he has been looking good.

Newton was pressured a lot and picked up big plays with his feet. It's safe to say that Brady would NOT have been able to do that. But Brady is a better passer...

The game would have been completely different.

1 hour ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I haven't started a thread in quite some time, mostly in part to the fine job everyone else has been doing posting content from things I would have posted, all the way down to posts I laugh at while spit-taking my coffee, so I've been quite content as an occasional observer.  But this win yesterday had me all warm inside, nostalgic if you will, for the days when I could post my thoughts and enjoy the flaming that might occur, or the agreements I might get from spewing out my over-opinion on things.  so, here goes, not in any real order....

1.  I was ecstatic they finally beat the pay-toilets at home, a win is a win.  But!

2.  Was I alone thinking that even though their roster appeared deplete of any real talent, any other decent quarterback, or, I dunno....say,  a Tom Brady would have beaten the Bills yesterday?

3.  The win was invigorating, but left me feeling worried the defense is so much worse than last year, and they are probably going to lose to this sad sack patriots team later this year?

It's been a long time since the Bills have been in 1st place this far in the season, so don't get me wrong, I love not being all but eliminated from the playoffs like most of the last 2 decades, but this victory does leave me wanting more from a team that had both a dominant defense last year, and a really strong offense earlier this year figure out the secret sauce soon.

Your thoughts?

There is a giant wedge shoved into this fanbase right now.

Group 1 is the "Look at our record" crowd who chooses to only analyze the present.  They think things are fantastic.

Group 2 is the "look at the big picture" crowd who is projecting down the schedule and seeing huge problems on the horizon, especially for those fans who are not happy to go 1 and Done in the playoffs, for the third time under McD.

Most fans conveniently overlook the fact that, by far, the biggest talking point about this team, this year, was the emergence of Josh Allen as a Top 5 (or better) QB and a real, modern, NFL, passing attack that could put up yards and points with the best teams in the league.  He sustained that through most of the first 4 games.  But we haven't seen that Josh Allen since.

Tennessee gave the league the blueprint on how to remove MVP Josh from the game, and we haven't seen MVP Josh since.

Yesterday was no different against the Patriots.

So, as your post shows, it's a combination of bittersweet factors, at least for a segment of the fanbase who can see where this train ride ends, and want more.

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Capco said:

McD's teams will likely have achieved 3 playoff appearances in 4 years.  Before that we had a nearly 2-decade playoff drought.  

I know we're not an elite team just yet, but we are definitely one of the better teams in the league.  

It's also about when a team peaks. I'm holding off crowning anyone as elite until nearer to playoffs time.

• Like (+1) 1

Very happy with yesterday's win.  I'm always happy when the Bills win, but yesterday's win was especially sweet.  First, it positions the Bills extremely well for their first division title in forever.  4-0 in the division with wins in hand over NE and MIA puts us in an outstanding situation if we need tie-breakers down the road.  We can clinch the tie-breaker over Miami just by having them drop a game to NE or (unlikely) the Jets.  To be all alone in first place with a 1.5 game lead and tiebreakers all set up by week 8 is pretty fantastic.  Second, I love the fact that this was a gut-punch loss for the Patriots, and I love knowing that their bandwagon-jumping fans are heading to the nearest exit.

Wonderful, all around.   

Edit: Does this team have issues to address?  Yes.  Does it currently look like a legit super bowl contender?  No.  Are the pieces in place to get hot and make a run?  Absolutely.  Am I going to wet the bed over beating a divisional rival?  Hell no.

Edited by BillsFanSD

Watching this game induced a good deal of stomach twisting groans and finally some elation of an actual win against NE.  That made me happy, but there is genuine concern about this team heading into the next 5 weeks and I feel we need an outside jolt of adding a playmaker on defense (DT or LB) 

Offense.  Josh has come back down to earth and some of his bad habits (footwork) are showing a bit. We haven't hit enough deep balls to make the opposing D back off, but the return of Mongo added juice to the running game. I'd love to see what a healthy O line of Dawkins, Ford, Morse, Mongo and Williams can do down the stretch.  Seeing Moss and Singletary in the backfield together was awesome. They made a sweet duo yesterday and I hope the run game continues to improve.  If we were to add anything to the offense at the deadline,  it has to be Njoku.  It would also be nice to put our feelers for Alex Mack and Billy Price if Morse is going to miss significant time.

Defense.  Allowing 5.5 yds a carry is not good. The D-Line gets pushed back way too much and our under-achieving LB's are beginning to worry me.  I hope Dodson gets healthy an Darron Lee can provide some playmaking. I'm not real high on Lee because he seems to be an Edmunds/Milano clone and it would be nice to see a mean streak and some thumping. out of our LB's.  Watching Edmonds get blown back 5-10 yds on a carry is unacceptable, as is Poyer being our leading tackler. We need plays from our LB's.  Getting Myles Jack would be the dream here. I hope Beaner is aggressive and makes this move.

We need that 1 tech badly and I'd like to see a healthy Butler rotating with another 320lb+ run stuffer, not these 285-300 lb DT's who can hold the line and can't get to the QB. The best option is  Dalvin Tomlinson and I beg the Beaner to "get 'er done". Outside of that, is  an out of shape Poe 345 and Quinnen Williams at 305, but will the Jets trade in the division.   If somehow, someway we got  Jack/Tomlinson on D, I think we could make a deep playoff run.  We hung tough with KC and that little extra juice on O and D could be the magic we need.   

This team is far from perfect, and yes our defense is still getting gashed. It’s certainly frustrating, especially watching our defense the last couple of years, it’s simply not up to our standard, but we need to stop apologizing for wins. 6-2, and 4-0 in the division is a great first half of the season, and we still haven’t put a complete game together with all 3 phases.  I could care less if we would have lost if Tom Brady was here, because, we’ll he wasn’t, and never will be again. Not to mention, the entire defensive plan changes, so I’m not so sure that we lose. We stacked the box and ran into most of our problems with the read option, obviously something we never would’ve had to deal with with Brady. I’m pretty confident that we would’ve held their passing attack in check enough to still have won the game. That being said, this game was always going to be about the running game with the weather that was expected. I found it extremely satisfying to actually get that going, and to rush for almost 200 yards. We talk about the defense, but our offense hasn’t had a game where we put both the passing and rushing attack together, yet, were 6/2. This team has so much room for improvement and I think could def benefit from a few added pieces, but I’m encouraged. Go Bills.

14 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

There is a giant wedge shoved into this fanbase right now.

Group 1 is the "Look at our record" crowd who chooses to only analyze the present.  They think things are fantastic.

Group 2 is the "look at the big picture" crowd who is projecting down the schedule and seeing huge problems on the horizon, especially for those fans who are not happy to go 1 and Done in the playoffs, for the third time under McD.

Most fans conveniently overlook the fact that, by far, the biggest talking point about this team, this year, was the emergence of Josh Allen as a Top 5 (or better) QB and a real, modern, NFL, passing attack that could put up yards and points with the best teams in the league.  He sustained that through most of the first 4 games.  But we haven't seen that Josh Allen since.

Tennessee gave the league the blueprint on how to remove MVP Josh from the game, and we haven't seen MVP Josh since.

Yesterday was no different against the Patriots.

So, as your post shows, it's a combination of bittersweet factors, at least for a segment of the fanbase who can see where this train ride ends, and want more.

I dont think ANY Bills fan thinks "things are fantastic". We all can plainly see there is plenty to work on, and even major/dire holes in the roster.

But we're still 6-2 and in the driver's seat for the division.

I think some Bills fans are so beaten down after being dominated by the Pats for 20 years, they think the ONLY way to win in the NFL is to be a perfect, dominating team like the Pats had for years. But that isnt the case in reality. PLENTY of good teams, and even Super Bowl winners, had hard fought roads to victory. Dropped bad games against bad teams. Etc. Heck, the Giants team that beat the 16-0 Pats in the Super Bowl barely managed to squeak into the playoffs as a Wild Card!

My over-cheeriness this morning is only to remind folks that we ARE in a good spot, and the BEST spot we've been in in DECADES.

I hope everyone can take a few minutes to enjoy it. We ALL deserve it. It's ok to enjoy a less-than perfect win by a less-than-perfect team.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, McBean said:

Seriously?

This defense can’t stop a high school team.

Offense has regressed and our coach is awful.

Elite teams have off weeks like New England did when McKelvin fumbled. 

The difference? They had the coach and QB and went on to dominate the rest of the season.

The realistic Bills fans saw who this team was when we faced Tennessee and KC.

You’re also going to see who we really are the next 2 weeks when this team gets blown out.

You must be a REAL hit at the parties.....

1 minute ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

I'll take the win ... but

It's seems whenever the Bills do beat the Pats (rare) it's because the Pats beat themselves.  The last time they won was the Fitzy game, right?  Brady threw 4 INT's.  When was the last time we beat Pats outright through superior play?  1990's?

this post illustrates my point perfectly. If the Bills make the playoffs do you think the teams that didn't will give a rats behind that the Bills won ugly as one of the games to help them achieve it? Yeah I guess I understand wanting to squish them decisively of course. But the disparaging Wins where no game is a gimme in the league is to me (Im sorry if this will offend people) but its a losers mentality. Do you think winners really concern themselves with what losers think?  This concern with "how we look winning" is grating my nerves a tad. Especially after we beat the Pats for a freakin change.

39 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Watching this game induced a good deal of stomach twisting groans and finally some elation of an actual win against NE.  That made me happy, but there is genuine concern about this team heading into the next 5 weeks and I feel we need an outside jolt of adding a playmaker on defense (DT or LB) 

Offense.  Josh has come back down to earth and some of his bad habits (footwork) are showing a bit. We haven't hit enough deep balls to make the opposing D back off, but the return of Mongo added juice to the running game. I'd love to see what a healthy O line of Dawkins, Ford, Morse, Mongo and Williams can do down the stretch.  Seeing Moss and Singletary in the backfield together was awesome. They made a sweet duo yesterday and I hope the run game continues to improve.  If we were to add anything to the offense at the deadline,  it has to be Njoku.  It would also be nice to put our feelers for Alex Mack and Billy Price if Morse is going to miss significant time.

Defense.  Allowing 5.5 yds a carry is not good. The D-Line gets pushed back way too much and our under-achieving LB's are beginning to worry me.  I hope Dodson gets healthy an Darron Lee can provide some playmaking. I'm not real high on Lee because he seems to be an Edmunds/Milano clone and it would be nice to see a mean streak and some thumping. out of our LB's.  Watching Edmonds get blown back 5-10 yds on a carry is unacceptable, as is Poyer being our leading tackler. We need plays from our LB's.  Getting Myles Jack would be the dream here. I hope Beaner is aggressive and makes this move.

We need that 1 tech badly and I'd like to see a healthy Butler rotating with another 320lb+ run stuffer, not these 285-300 lb DT's who can hold the line and can't get to the QB. The best option is  Dalvin Tomlinson and I beg the Beaner to "get 'er done". Outside of that, is  an out of shape Poe 345 and Quinnen Williams at 305, but will the Jets trade in the division.   If somehow, someway we got  Jack/Tomlinson on D, I think we could make a deep playoff run.  We hung tough with KC and that little extra juice on O and D could be the magic we need.   

These are great ideas but I present 2 words for you.  Salary Cap.  That and the fact the NFL will most likely be at a flat cap rate next season and possibly beyond that.  This isn't your average fantasy league.  Bills gambled on some players and those gambles failed.....now they gotta suck it up

I am ecstatic about the win. The goat coach forced us into a run based offense where we have not run it all year.  And we ran great. Moss looked like a different player. The goat coach went with a 7DB defense in a 30 mph wind and rain game. That speaks volumes about what kind of qb we finally have. 

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

I'll take the win ... but

It's seems whenever the Bills do beat the Pats (rare) it's because the Pats beat themselves.  The last time they won was the Fitzy game, right?  Brady threw 4 INT's.  When was the last time we beat Pats outright through superior play?  1990's?

There were a lot of games over the past 20 years where the Bills beat themselves in a close game with the Pats. I dont think the Pats or any of their fans thought it didnt count as much after.

I would feel a lot better about this win if Gabe Davis holds on to the ball and we are up 28 - 21 with the Pats driving to end the game.  But sitting at 6-2 at the halfway mark, 4-0 in division, 5-2 in the AFC I feel good today.  We ended the Patriots' season yesterday.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

There were a lot of games over the past 20 years where the Bills beat themselves in a close game with the Pats. I dont think the Pats or any of their fans thought it didnt count as much after.

seriously.  who can forget when mckelvin decided to run it out of the endzone with a lead on monday night, only to fumble it, allowing the pats to score.  the bills have given so many games to opponents over the last 20 years.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Tom Brady would have 100% beaten us yesterday

Maybe, but the Cheatriots would have had to rely on a poor group of receivers.  When they ran the ball on third and long on multiple occasions, that said a lot about what their coaching staff thought about the passing game,  In addition, their RPO plays made their run game effective.  With Brady in the game, RPO's are nonexistent.  Newton was under a fair amount of pressure and had to escape the pocket several times.  Brady would have been taking hits or be throwing the ball away.  I doubt that the Bills would have run such a conservative offense knowing that they had to compete with Brady.  It would have been a different game.  Frankly, it would have been a much better game to watch.

I'm happy they won. A win is a win is a win. That said, their defense is truly mediocre. Gashed in the run game over and over again. Very little pass rush. Given the investment they've made in the line, it is pathetic the return they are getting. There never seems to be any Bills around the ball when the opponent takes a hand off and heads up field. You can just tell it is going to be a significant gain immediately. They aren't winning at the line much at all. Anyone else have concerns that the new line coach might be an issue? They've had some issues in the past but this year it is weekly (except Jets games).

Since they get no pressure with 4 guys they've needed to blitz more. This keeps exposing the secondary.  Taron Johnson vs slot receivers has become a mismatch every week. Any kind of slant route seems open at will to opponents. Time to try someone else there (I know Cam Lewis was headed there till he got hurt but might be time to see if Dane Jackson is a possibility or trade for one by the deadline).

I do not see good things ahead with this schedule. Watch out for the Dolphins. They have an easier schedule and a better defense

I was happy and a little frustrated. I knew it wasn't going to be easy so it was an odd feeling for me coming away from a win this way. Like we got lucky even though turnovers / forced fumbles are a big part of the game. Yes, I feel like Buffalo was out coached. The Patriots O just failed to execute on the final drive.

So happy for the win,  but my expectations were a little higher.

Culture shift...

You cant let bad teams hang around.

This team has no identity on offense.

The team is bad on defense.

Not a good recipe, hope they get it figured out next few weeks, or it could spell trouble.

But they are 6-2 and on pace for a division title, so all is good, for now.

Edited by CountDorkula

Thrilled with that Monkey off our back.
   I do understand that most of us got our hopes up early in the season and now the reality of who this team is has made itself known. We aren’t as explosive on O and the D is not even good.

However, a couple points to consider, Winning is a habit that forms from winning. As a bunch on here have said, we won a game we ALWAYS used to lose. That is a positive. 
     Also, this team’s play may be the same team at the end of the season But it may not. It is a marathon and things change and teams grow sometimes. 
     The biggest concern I have is the Offense. Josh seems to be hesitant again. The anticipation in his throws seems to have waned. All his throws are straight line throws again. No back shoulders, few if any slants, has he thrown a single seam route this year???

However, Feleciano And the running game seem to be a possible bright spot. 
     This team is only going to go as far as the Offense can take them. If we get the running game going fairly well and the play action starts to work with a healthy group we could be surprisingly good. This would help a D that needs help. This is possible not pie in the sky.

We just DO NOT KNOW. 
    What I can’t stand is the miserable wretches on here who would complain about the taxes if they hit the multimillion jackpot.

Some seem to actively want the Bills to fail. Sad and pathetic!!!!

Edited by Buffalo Boy

that last 3:35 I have to admit was agonizing. I kept having flashbacks and was beginning to have my doubts they stop them before either kicking it to tie or the go ahead touchdown almost seemed inevitable. after all, even if it was a limping pats team, it was still the pats.

then this:

Fumble

(:37) (Shotgun) C.Newton left tackle to BUF 14 for 5 yards (J.Zimmer). FUMBLES (J.Zimmer), RECOVERED by BUF-D.Marlowe at BUF 13.

it was like the rush I get from a hit of my favorite strain, almost a religious experience and I'm not religious. the sense of relief was a great feeling, especially knowing that they not only won the game, they knocked those mother _________'s out of the post season.

on to seattle.

Edited by A Firm Tree Does Not Fear

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

I am ecstatic about the win. The goat coach forced us into a run based offense where we have not run it all year.  And we ran great. Moss looked like a different player. The goat coach went with a 7DB defense in a 30 mph wind and rain game. That speaks volumes about what kind of qb we finally have. 

This honestly didn't even cross my mind.  While my original feelings are still valid, this is something to feel good about.  Bellicheat forced the Bills to play a certain way in order to beat them, and they did.  Love it.

• Like (+1) 1

September 7, 1980

The Bills play a stinker of a game, turning the ball over 7 times (5 ints, and 2 fumbles). They go into the 4th qtr trailing 7-3.

Then score twice and win, and beat the Dolphins for the first time in a decade. Signaling the end of their reign of terror.

Did fans gripe about the mistakes? Did they complain about some bad play calls? Did they wring their hands over likely being 1-and-done in the playoffs?

NO! They stormed that field and tore down the goal posts!!

Be the fans of 1980! Tear down the goal posts!! (Metaphorically speaking in 2020, of course)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

September 7, 1980

The Bills play a stinker of a game, turning the ball over 7 times (5 ints, and 2 fumbles). They go into the 4th qtr trailing 7-3.

Then score twice and win, and beat the Dolphins for the first time in a decade. Signaling the end of their reign of terror.

Did fans gripe about the mistakes? Did they complain about some bad play calls? Did they wring their hands over likely being 1-and-done in the playoffs?

NO! They stormed that field and tore down the goal posts!!

Be the fans of 1980! Tear down the goal posts!! (Metaphorically speaking in 2020, of course)

The negative segment today:

I'm disappointed I expected to win by 40 in a game we were favored by 3 because of course=Super Bowl then.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

"Luck prefers the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

Besides, one Bill forcing a fumble and another Bill recovering is not luck.  Skill.

i've always liked the line:   luck is when preparedness meets opportunity.

• Like (+1) 3