Week 9: Seahawks at Bills

BillsMafi$

“Signature win” is a made-up term with no real definition.

It looks to me like no matter what way you slice it, these Bills HAVE had wins over good teams.

What is lacking in most of these discussions is a comparison to other teams when they go up against top 10 teams or playoff teams or what have you. Here’s the catch: top 10 teams don’t lose very often by definition.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BuffaloBobs said:

I think you missed my point. The only chance is making the game one dimensional by eliminating the run game and forcing Wilson to get the ball out quickly.

Wilson is a great quarterback in the pocket, outside the pocket, on the run. He's incredible. I just think our chances of winning rely pressuring him in the pocket as a pure passer. If he's regularly extending the play outside the pocket and dropping dimes I don't know if we have the guns to hang with them.

Lol. Tell me when the Bills have stopped or eliminated any ones run game. Last year doesn't count. By your owns words Dallas didn't run well vs the 49ers. So your theory is poop. Russel cooked with DK and Moore. With respect, I disagree with your analysis and game plan. 

1 hour ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

NOBODY thinks McClapper has a signature win, yet!

His Record against PLAYOFF TEAMS is...

2017 = 2-4

2018 = 0-7

2019 = 1- 4

2020 =  0-2 ?

TOTAL = 3 - 17 15%

Plus 0-2 in the Playoffs.

We think he is better. In fact, he’s NOT!
All the previous stiffs this Millennium had a record of 24%!

BOTH records are terrible.

McClapper is worse.

Beating stiffs, is not good enough... by far!

BtW, the 2020 Cheatriots are a stiff.

Yikes... that’s scary. 

1 hour ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

2017 = 2-4

2018 = 0-7

2019 = 1- 4

2020 =  0-2 ?

TOTAL = 3 - 17 15%

McClapper is worse.

2020 = we don't know yet.  Dolphins and Rams (and even Raiders) could both end up playoff teams.  Is 3-15 good?  No way, but that 0-7 mark was with one of the worst rosters in recent Bills history, and that's saying something.  2019 was very worrying that we couldn't get it done against good teams.  This year's losses to the Titans and Chiefs also bode poorly.  Looking at the 2017 and 2018 teams, though, is disingenuous - those were bad teams that had no business being expected to beat playoff teams.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Seattle is coming to us boys. 

I think we lay the smack down,  I really do.

We're better than we been playing. 

Explain what you mean by playing better? In fact, we have been playing worse if you factor in the first four games. We didn't score a TD against the Jets. We can't stop the run game if our life depends on it. Our offense has regressed and feels nothing like the first 4 games. I'm all for optimism but let's be realistic too. I get we are all fans and want to see the bright side of things. Imho, Seattle beats us 27 - 13. 

Josh Allen gets another chance to show the world he's the real deal. He's failed every chance he gets in these statement games. So chances are he'll play average to below average in this game. Average QB play likely doesn't win this game. 

Defense just doesn't have it this year. Going to need 30+ points. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

I think that the Bills are better than they have been playing.  

I think the run game is starting to show some growth.

I think Coach Daboll should try to get "Smoke" more involved.

I hope the defense can improve, even incrementally.

7 hours ago, schoolhouserock said:

“Signature win” is a made-up term with no real definition.

It looks to me like no matter what way you slice it, these Bills HAVE had wins over good teams.

What is lacking in most of these discussions is a comparison to other teams when they go up against top 10 teams or playoff teams or what have you. Here’s the catch: top 10 teams don’t lose very often by definition.

Thank you.

Wins are wins. Period. Ask the 6-2 Buccaneers, who narrowly escaped with a 2-point victory over the 1-win Giants last night.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Lol. Tell me when the Bills have stopped or eliminated any ones run game. Last year doesn't count. By your owns words Dallas didn't run well vs the 49ers. So your theory is poop. Russel cooked with DK and Moore. With respect, I disagree with your analysis and game plan. 

They have not been able to, which is why if Seattle is banged up and we can stop the run that would bode well for our defense.

The other option is to drop into a shell and let them control the game like the Chiefs did against us and we did against the Patriots, which is I guess what your suggesting. I don't think that will work because of how talented Wilson and their receivers are.

29 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Thank you.

Wins are wins. Period. Ask the 6-2 Buccaneers, who narrowly escaped with a 2-point victory over the 1-win Giants last night.

I despise watching Brady but I did peek in and saw the Giants leading at the beginning of the 4th and saw Tom get sacked.  I chuckled.

8 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

2017 = 2-4

2018 = 0-7

2019 = 1- 4

2020 =  0-2 ?

TOTAL = 3 - 17 15%

McClapper is worse.

Damn.....just damn.  That's not the most encouraging thing to see.  I thought for sure he had more than that in his n time here.  Okay I'm gonna revert back to my resident sunshine lollipops and rainbows guy and predict that McDermott will beat TWO teams this year that he can add to his signature win resume.  My two most likely are the Seahawks and Cards.  

9 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

Okay, one of our resident stat guys, or info treasure trove guys, please tell me McDermott has at least one or two "signature wins" in his entire 3 year tenure with us...surely we beat one or two teams who finished the season in the top 10 in the standings....

This is a trick question... Its a well known fact that any team the Bills beat is garbage. Because, well, how could the Bills beat a good team?  So, you can't get a signature win if you only beat bad teams.  

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

This is a trick question... Its a well known fact that any team the Bills beat is garbage. Because, well, how could the Bills beat a good team?  So, you can't get a signature win if you only beat bad teams.  

That's why the second half of this season is SO very important.  IMO, how we fare in these last 8 games will ultimately reveal the Bills for exactly what they are.  And what they are remains to be seen, because so far this year, we have beaten the teams we were SUPPOSED to beat.  Now its time to take it to the next level and start getting those "signature wins".  Beating the teams heavily favored against us.  And until we do, can we call ourselves anything more than a decent football team?

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Josh Allen gets another chance to show the world he's the real deal. He's failed every chance he gets in these statement games. So chances are he'll play average to below average in this game. Average QB play likely doesn't win this game. 

Defense just doesn't have it this year. Going to need 30+ points. 

The Cowboys game last year was a statement game and Josh made a name for himself. The kid has 11 game winning drives in his three years here, Lamar Jackson has 3 or even more interesting is Allen has 8 4th Quarter QBs vs Lamar's 1. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

That's why the second half of this season is SO very important.  IMO, how we fare in these last 8 games will ultimately reveal the Bills for exactly what they are.  And what they are remains to be seen, because so far this year, we have beaten the teams we were SUPPOSED to beat.  Now its time to take it to the next level and start getting those "signature wins".  Beating the teams heavily favored against us.  And until we do, can we call ourselves anything more than a decent football team?

All any of this does is change perceptions; it actually has no bearing on the outcome of the season.

Make the dance and you’ve got a shot.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

The Cowboys game last year was a statement game and Josh made a name for himself. The kid has 11 game winning drives in his three years here, Lamar Jackson has 3 or even more interesting is Allen has 8 4th Quarter QBs vs Lamar's 1. 

The win against the Cowboys on a short week with the country watching and the beat down they gave them was THE statement game.  It doesn't matter what the Cowboys record would ultimately be, that game woke America up to the Bills and Josh Allen.  For anyone to say any different is just silly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think the Bills can win it if they can the run the ball and control the clock. Allen will obviously have to hit on some big passing plays. The Bills D won't stop the Seahawks O. If the Bills win it will be like the Rams game with both teams scoring in the 30's. Buffalo needs to keep Wilson on the sideline as much as possible.

51 minutes ago, BuffaloBobs said:

They have not been able to, which is why if Seattle is banged up and we can stop the run that would bode well for our defense.

The other option is to drop into a shell and let them control the game like the Chiefs did against us and we did against the Patriots, which is I guess what your suggesting. I don't think that will work because of how talented Wilson and their receivers are.

I think you are assuming a third string RB can't run well against the Bills. Just look at what the Jets and the Pats did with their 2nd and 3rd stringers. I'm pretty confident RB Dallas can gash the Bills defense. (That's assuming Hyde and Carson are out.) I will continue to make the case until I see this Bills team stop the run. 

3 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I think the Bills can win it if they can the run the ball and control the clock. Allen will obviously have to hit on some big passing plays. The Bills D won't stop the Seahawks O. If the Bills win it will be like the Rams game with both teams scoring in the 30's. Buffalo needs to keep Wilson on the sideline as much as possible.

I agree. Seattle is pretty good against the run. They stopped Zeke and the 49ers last week. They rank 9th in the NFL vs the run. I'm pretty hesitant to think our run game will be effective and efficient. The way to beat the Seattle is through the air. Allen and the offense will have to play like the first four games of the season. The offense has regressed for many reasons. Thus far, we haven't been able to beat top teams like KC and Tenn. This game is a tall order. We will find out how good this team really is. I suspect we aren't on the same level as Seattle. 

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I agree. Seattle is pretty good against the run. They stopped Zeke and the 49ers last week. They rank 9th in the NFL vs the run. I'm pretty hesitant to think our run game will be effective and efficient. The way to beat the Seattle is through the air. Allen and the offense will have to play like the first four games of the season. The offense has regressed for many reasons. Thus far, we haven't been able to beat top teams like KC and Tenn. This game is a tall order. We will find out how good this team really is. I suspect we aren't on the same level as Seattle. 

Hoping this turns out to be a trap game for Seattle. Coming off a big win over their biggest rival (49ers) and next week another divisional game against the Rams. Seattle is good but they are beatable. Miami gave them a tough game at home and NE almost beat them on the road. I agree the Bills probably aren't on the same level as the Seahawks. They do have arguably the best QB in the game but I still think the Bills have a realistic chance to pull off an upset.

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

Hoping this turns out to be a trap game for Seattle. Coming off a big win over their biggest rival (49ers) and next week another divisional game against the Rams. Seattle is good but they are beatable. Miami gave them a tough game at home and NE almost beat them on the road. I agree the Bills probably aren't on the same level as the Seahawks. They do have arguably the best QB in the game but I still think the Bills have a realistic chance to pull off an upset.

Thats more tham fair.

I'm remarkably confident that the Bills will win this game.  The NFL is a funny place.  The Seahawks just pounded their nemesis.  It's so hard in this league, week to week to bring the same energy into the game.  I strongly expect a Seahawks let down.  Some weird bounces are going to aid the Bills.  By no means do I think it will be easy, I just think the Bills will find a way to win this one.  Even though the weather forecast says it will be decent, there are always swirling winds this time of year in Bills Stadium.  Bills got a huge monkey off their back last week.  They keep it rolling this week.

52 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

The 8-8 Cowboys is Allen's statement game? 231 yards and 2 TDs is a statement game? I rest my case. For me it was good to see him play well vs Cowboy, Steelers, and other teams but we're waiting for that game that says Allen has arrived as a top QB. 

Allen has yet to have a statement game. He's failed in every attempt. 

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The 8-8 Cowboys is Allen's statement game? 231 yards and 2 TDs is a statement game? I rest my case. For me it was good to see him play well vs Cowboy, Steelers, and other teams but we're waiting for that game that says Allen has arrived as a top QB. 

Allen has yet to have a statement game. He's failed in every attempt. 

Ah yes. We have to marginalize the fact that the dude threw a grand total of 5 incomplete passes and looked like a bona fide franchise QB against a top 10 defense in a nationally televised game because yardage and stuff.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Ah yes. We have to marginalize the fact that the dude threw a grand total of 5 incomplete passes and looked like a bona fide franchise QB against a top 10 defense in a nationally televised game because yardage and stuff.

Also...... is gettting the ball back down 3 with 3 minutes left back in week 3 vs a top 5 defense, and winning the game as time expires not a statement?

He's made his statements.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 10:41 PM, BillsfaninSB said:

I have a weird feeling they are going to break-out the all red uniforms.  No evidence.  Will be bummed if that happens. 

119353440_10157383249796722_568022915753

Seattle is wearing white so it will either be blue or red for Buffalo.

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Also...... is gettting the ball back down 3 with 3 minutes left back in week 3 vs a top 5 defense, and winning the game as time expires not a statement?

No he hasn't. The Rams game was probably as close as it gets. People other than Bills fans were impressed with that game. 

50 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think you are assuming a third string RB can't run well against the Bills. Just look at what the Jets and the Pats did with their 2nd and 3rd stringers. I'm pretty confident RB Dallas can gash the Bills defense. (That's assuming Hyde and Carson are out.) I will continue to make the case until I see this Bills team stop the run. 

They must be better than Josh Jacobs and Derek Henry who we held in check.  Bills have shown they can stop the run.  If anything I was most surprised how they got gashed in the second half of that game.  Bills D looks to be able to stop 1 thing run or pass but not both.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It was not a statement game. 

Show me where the statistic “statement game” is tracked and then we can debate it. Until then it’s some nebulous metric that you’ve set with no real concrete parameters attached, which allows you to (as Hapless said) move the goalposts to suit your position as you see fit.

6 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

#1 defense in terms of yards per play

• Like (+1) 1