OFFICIAL: LB Darron Lee signed to Bills PS

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m at the point where I actually want Darron Lee on the field if it means the end of AJ Klein. That’s completely and totally about Klein 

At least Lee can run 

I can't believe my eyes watching Klien. I just can't believe how bad he is. Watching him blitz is a joke as he runs straight into the blocking running back and gets stuffed completely. Bad angles. Can't cut.  So slow. Complete liability in pass coverage. Just a terrible football player that shouldn't be seeing the field at all. 

Edited by Bills Juggernaut
  • Like (+1) 3

wtf, i thought he was already signed and hoping he would be stepping in as another option soon. Can someone go and steal Kleins helmet next game? The sight of him in a Bills uniform makes me vomit. Seriously, has McD given any explaination of how the heck that is our best option out on the field?

Edited by badassgixxer05

21 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

wtf, i thought he was already signed and hoping he would be stepping in as another option soon. Can someone go and steal Kleins helmet next game? The sight of him in a Bills uniform makes me vomit. Seriously, has McD given any explaination of how the heck that is our best option out on the field?

I think you're more likely to see Phillips get those snaps than Lee.  Dodson might be ready by week 10.  

I think Lee is depth on the PS to call up should we get hit with a ton more injuries again.  Someone who's played more defense in the NFL than Matakevich and Smith who are both STers.  

Something to note - milano played 15 snaps in this one...  *note* Andre Smith played 16 snaps on defense.

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

He needs to be signed today if we wanted him available for seahawks.  Unlikely that is case though. 

It's possible he has agreed to a deal, but is in the COVID-19 protocol. As soon as he gets through that the Bills announce the signing.  Maybe.

1 hour ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Covid Protocols.  It takes awhile to sign someone and get them on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

You should change your name to The Dareus Whisperer.  

It’s somewhat strange that you continue to bring up a guy that is currently out of the league after we traded him 3 years ago.  

Yet if I mentioned that pedestrian Preston Brown lead the NFL in tackles as the MLB for the Bills in that 2017 season..........and compared that to the disappointment that is the first rounder, all-eggs-in-and-no-safety-net that is Tremaine Edmunds.........you'd like that because you are very down on Edmunds.

Reality is that the only time they were an all-around stout defense under McDermott was that brief period early in 2017.

Try as they might.........be it trading up in the first round for Edmunds or giving Star a $50M contract...........they haven't been able to resolve the issues in the middle of their defense that ultimately leaves them vulnerable to destruction by good offenses.    And frustrating to watch against inferior teams that are committed to the run.......even if that opponent can't throw the ball a lick.

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yet if I mentioned that pedestrian Preston Brown lead the NFL in tackles as the MLB for the Bills in that 2017 season..........and compared that to the disappointment that is the first rounder, all-eggs-in-and-no-safety-net that is Tremaine Edmunds.........you'd like that because you are very down on Edmunds.

Reality is that the only time they were an all-around stout defense under McDermott was that brief period early in 2017.

Try as they might.........be it trading up in the first round for Edmunds or giving Star a $50M contract...........they haven't been able to resolve the issues in the middle of their defense that ultimately leaves them vulnerable to destruction by good offenses.    And frustrating to watch against inferior teams that are committed to the run.......even if that opponent can't throw the ball a lick.

I think a number of football pundits would credit the Bills D with being pretty strong overall last year with occasional brain-fart lapses, and also with having made adjustments after the Dareus trade to fix the gap his trade undeniably left.  We made the playoffs and wound up 10-6, and it surely wasn't based on last years offensive production.   We managed to contain two of the best offenses in the league in the Ravens and the Cowboys.

Stats aren't everything, but when a team is #2 in the league on points given up and #3 on yards, and has played four of the top-10 offenses for PPG and held them to significantly less than their average PPG, I think it's hard to construct an argument that they weren't an all-around stout defense.  A bit of revisionist history there, methinks.

I don't know that I align with you on Edmunds, but that our LB corps is a hot steaming mess right now is undeniable, followed only by the center of our DL for depth of suckitude.  

This year, it certainly seems to be inarguable that we can't play all-around defense.  We can either stifle a good run team at the expense of having them throw all over us, or shut down the pass and get reamed in the run.  And I don't see any fixes on the horizon. 

Klein is seriously Peterman all over again. I think McD gets stubborn and wants to will the guy to be good. It is clear as day to anyone watching that Klein is simply terrible. There are plenty of guys on practice squads all over the league that would be an instant upgrade. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Klein is seriously Peterman all over again. I think McD gets stubborn and wants to will the guy to be good. It is clear as day to anyone watching that Klein is simply terrible. There are plenty of guys on practice squads all over the league that would be an instant upgrade. 

You assume.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ngbills said:

The thing about Klein is that while he was never All-Pro, he was a decent LB at Carolina and at New Orleans. He just fell off a cliff, I guess. Maybe he's simply taking more time to acclimate to our defense that we anticipated. Who really knows.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TigerJ said:

It's possible he has agreed to a deal, but is in the COVID-19 protocol. As soon as he gets through that the Bills announce the signing.  Maybe.

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Covid Protocols.  It takes awhile to sign someone and get them on the field.

I would think they dont enter COVID protocols UNTIL they are signed.

Like Snacks in Seattle and Dez Bryant in Baltimore. They signed, then started protocols. No?

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I would think they dont enter COVID protocols UNTIL they are signed.

Like Snacks in Seattle and Dez Bryant in Baltimore. They signed, then started protocols. No?

I think they can test prior to signing as well, I am not sure about the protocols anymore as they seem to change weekly in the NFL

56 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think a number of football pundits would credit the Bills D with being pretty strong overall last year with occasional brain-fart lapses, and also with having made adjustments after the Dareus trade to fix the gap his trade undeniably left.  We made the playoffs and wound up 10-6, and it surely wasn't based on last years offensive production.   We managed to contain two of the best offenses in the league in the Ravens and the Cowboys.

Stats aren't everything, but when a team is #2 in the league on points given up and #3 on yards, and has played four of the top-10 offenses for PPG and held them to significantly less than their average PPG, I think it's hard to construct an argument that they weren't an all-around stout defense.  A bit of revisionist history there, methinks.

I don't know that I align with you on Edmunds, but that our LB corps is a hot steaming mess right now is undeniable, followed only by the center of our DL for depth of suckitude.  

This year, it certainly seems to be inarguable that we can't play all-around defense.  We can either stifle a good run team at the expense of having them throw all over us, or shut down the pass and get reamed in the run.  And I don't see any fixes on the horizon. 

You don't have to be stout to prevent points.

Turnovers and penetration in the red zone work well........especially if you don't have to play a lot of good offenses.

Regardless of what McD had in mind with for his defense...........that has become their MO when it's worked.........limit quick, easy scores........get turnovers..........get penetration and set up situations where the offense feels they have to throw and try to confuse the passer with their (now less unfamiliar) matchup zones and hopefully they throw in front of the sticks or put the ball up for grabs.. 

Being stout is not giving ground........IDEALLY playing defense like the legion of boom Seahawks.........defending "every blade of grass".

That requires a lot of matchup winning talent and excellent tackling which the Bills....despite expending 3 of their first 4 #1 picks on D........regrettably don't have enough of and don't do well enough.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

Damn the Bills released Ahmad Gooden from PS and could have activated him to replace Klein.

2 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Still weird seeing these vets signed to practice squads. Hard to wrap my mind around...

I started a thread to discuss these 2020 pandemic rules and how many will stick with the NFL. Frankly I love it.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You don't have to be stout to prevent points.

Turnovers and penetration in the red zone work well........especially if you don't have to play a lot of good offenses.

Fair points.  But the Bills were 4th in "yards given up" as well...and not that great on take-aways (10th I think) which provides some objective evidence of "stoutness" and that their success on preventing points wasn't all due to fortuitous takeaways.  Some was, for sure.

We were 7th in 3rd down and 4th down conversion, which again...argues some stoutness to me.

I do wonder if there's something hidden in those averages that may be to what you allude.  The analogy in my head is what Traci Mann, the U Minn Psychology prof who wrote 'Secrets From the Eating Lab', said about dieting.  She points out that in most avenues of life, if you resist temptation and focus 90 or 95% of the time, you will likely be pretty successful.  But in dieting, if you resist a plate of donuts 95% of the time then clean the plate, Not So Much. 

When I look at yard given up against the top offenses last year - we gave up a buttload of yards to the Cowboys and NE.  We didn't give up a buttload to the Ravens - in fact we held them to 4 3-and-outs, a 4-and -out, and a 6-and-out, but the yards we did give up were largely concentrated on 2 long drives leading to TDs.  

And that does, to my memory of it, seem to be the Bills pattern - we can be stout much of the time, but when we most need the D to get a stop, sometimes they just can't.  I do wonder if the Ravens and Houston games exposed some specific tendencies that are worse this year and that savvy teams like KC and the Titans are drilling into - that, and of course neither our DL nor our LB are seemingly nearly as good this year.

Regardless of what McD had in mind with for his defense...........that has become their MO when it's worked.........limit quick, easy scores........get turnovers..........get penetration and set up situations where the offense feels they have to throw and try to confuse the passer with their (now less unfamiliar) matchup zones and hopefully they throw in front of the sticks or put the ball up for grabs.. 

Being stout is not giving ground........IDEALLY playing defense like the legion of boom Seahawks.........defending "every blade of grass".

That requires a lot of matchup winning talent and excellent tackling which the Bills....despite expending 3 of their first 4 #1 picks on D........regrettably don't have enough of and don't do well enough.

I can't argue the notion that the Bills have not, to date, gotten enough production out of their top draft picks on defense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

@PromoTheRobot  Lee Officially Signed

Is kind of surprising that Knox hasn't yet cleared the Covid list unless he's still suffering the effects of the concussion so a convenient way to keep him off the active roster until then.  Since he was positive already, just keep him there a little longer or he is still in a positive state?

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Is kind of surprising that Knox hasn't yet cleared the Covid list unless he's still suffering the effects of the concussion so a convenient way to keep him off the active roster until then.  Since he was positive already, just keep him there a little longer or he is still in a positive state?

Don’t know, both Lee smith and Nate Becker have cleared. If Knox is still concussed but they don’t want to put him on iR it’s better to keep him on Covid list because they get a free PS elevation out of it 

Edited by YoloinOhio