Jets trade DT Steve McClendon to TB

YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What team will give them a 2nd for Darnold right now?

When he gets healthy someone will probably give up a 1st. 

I don't think that there is any doubt left that the team is tanking. Now, they are simply losing on purpose and trying to gather up draft picks to surround Trevor with talent. I for one can't recall ever seeing any situation this obvious. The Alex Van Pelt Bills even won 4 games iirc. It seems unethical too, but I suppose anything goes in 2020. :(

Bill, what do you want from the Jests?  Seriously, I almost feel bad for the classy Jets fans, not the trolls.  I have some friends originally from NY and I don’t even have the heart to kid even a little as they are so dejected now.  As far as Darnold, I can see a team giving a second or maybe a third for him.  No one is giving up a 1st.  He just needs to get the heck out of there.  There will be some coach who thinks they can rehabilitate him.  I still contend one of the teams with an aging QB would consider him.  Reich is now a HC, but was a great QB coach a few years ago.

2 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Bill, what do you want from the Jests?  Seriously, I almost feel bad for the classy Jets fans, not the trolls.  I have some friends originally from NY and I don’t even have the heart to kid even a little as they are so dejected now.  As far as Darnold, I can see a team giving a second or maybe a third for him.  No one is giving up a 1st.  He just needs to get the heck out of there.  There will be some coach who thinks they can rehabilitate him.  I still contend one of the teams with an aging QB would consider him.  Reich is now a HC, but was a great QB coach a few years ago.

And Philip Rivers definitely ain't it anymore so it would make a lot of sense.

In light of the unusual circumstances this year, maybe we suggest to Roger Goodell that the draft runs as a lottery for the cellar dwellers?  Before you say no, just suggest that New England and Tampa Bay are awarded additional compensatory draft picks, and see what he says.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, whorlnut said:

They have multiple first rounders for the next two years and could probably get a second for Darnold. They will have ammo to load up. 

I do NOT agree on the second for Darnold.  He will be destroyed by the end of the season they will be lucky to get a 4th and 6th in 2025 for him at this rate....

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

To be fully honest, if I owned the Jets I am quite sure that I too would want to tank.

That said, I think that a tank to this degree threatens the integrity of the league in some way. It costs a lot of money to be an NFL Fan. I have spent several thousands of dollars being a Bills Fan in terms of attending games (to include travel and hotels), let alone Directv, and purchasing products with the logo. Am I not entitled to think that the Bills would at least try to win?

I don't know mgk, something just doesn't feel right to me about this situation.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, NobesBLO13 said:

Probably explains why they won’t fire Gase.

You might be kidding but honestly it’s a good plan. Maybe it was the plan the whole time?! Hire Gase, proven track record of being someone who can run off players and make your team bottom out. Get Lawerence or trade the pick for probably the biggest return in the history of the league.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

To be fully honest, if I owned the Jets I am quite sure that I too would want to tank.

That said, I think that a tank to this degree threatens the integrity of the league in some way. It costs a lot of money to be an NFL Fan. I have spent several thousands of dollars being a Bills Fan in terms of attending games (to include travel and hotels), let alone Directv, and purchasing products with the logo. Am I not entitled to think that the Bills would at least try to win?

I don't know mgk, something just doesn't feel right to me about this situation.

Bill, my friend, I agree this obviouS tanking just stinks for the league and that team.  You had mentioned another team, and the only example I can think of which is nowhere close to this debacle is my other team, 2nd of course to the Bills, is the Bucs, when they threw the last half of the last game to get the #1 spot for Winston over Marriotta that year.  It was obvious was pulling everyone in the second half of that last game for Winston.  Look how good that worked out for Tampa and TN.

Tanking cheapens the team so wasn’t arguing there at all.  I just have buddies who are Jets fans, transplants from NY/NJ as they are the NJ Jets as well as the NJ Giants, and I just can’t bust their chops.  They are good guys, my Giants friends too, and at least the Giants are trying to win.  I would be beside myself if I had a team that sucked since 1969.  Maybe a reprieve when Parcells was briefly there at the Jets.

All I can say is say a prayer for our beloved Bills today, and could be a fun two weeks with the Jets, and Pats, and can’t believe ESPN’s mock projection of the Bills at 7-1 at the half mark would be amazing.  I’m not assuming after the Chiefs if we win, will definitely beat the Pats, but it’s looking better.

We have some tough games after the Chiefs and Pats, like the Hawks.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What team will give them a 2nd for Darnold right now?

With how good Tannehill has been post-Gase I’m sure there’s a few GM/coach combos willing to gamble with a second on Darnold’s regression being all on Gase. Particularly some of the teams with older or journeyman QBs: Colts, Bucs, Saints, Bears, Vikings, Steelers, and possibly the Cowboys if they decide to move on from Dak. 

Thank your deity of choice that Adam Gase is still the coach of the Jets. 

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I think they are trading players away now so that they can say, “see we were rebuilding this whole time. We weren’t really trying to win, please don’t fire us.”

You can't rebuild a team in the NFL like you can in basketball. The right single player can make an NBA team. Football has a lot more pieces on the court and in staffs. 

The Jets are decimating a culture that was already trashed. And they do not have a talent base to work with. Who's their most talented player? Crowder? 

I don't give a lot of credit to the Pegulas for hiring McBeane (no credit because of Ryan and Sabres) but I do give them credit for recognizing they got it right.  

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

With how good Tannehill has been post-Gase I’m sure there’s a few GM/coach combos willing to gamble with a second on Darnold’s regression being all on Gase. Particularly some of the teams with older or journeyman QBs: Colts, Bucs, Saints, Bears, Vikings, Steelers, and possibly the Cowboys if they decide to move on from Dak. 

Nobody is giving much for Darnold. 
Not because of how bad he’s been but because teams know the Jets will cut him or just wait until his deal runs out. Maybe a 4th at best 

• Like (+1) 3

15 hours ago, whorlnut said:

So clear that they are doing all they can to try to get Trevor Lawrence. And it scares the heck out of me...haha. 

Not really, most jets fans think they have a QB problem when the reality is that they have a whole team problem. They’ll ruin Lawrence like they’re doing to Darnold

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Nobody is giving much for Darnold. 
Not because of how bad he’s been but because teams know the Jets will cut him or just wait until his deal runs out. Maybe a 4th at best 

We’ll see. It only takes two teams to drive the price up, and Darnold has more natural talent and experience than the majority of 2nd round QBs. He’d be a high level backup for a team like the Bucs or Steelers that could probably be extended on a team friendly deal with performance incentives. 

After the Bills/Jets game, I said the Jets look like a bottom 3 team, league wide.

After 6 games they are nicely situated dead last in the league, though there is a mountain of teams just above them with only 1 win each.

It seems like you could talk your way into a trade with the Jets right now for pretty much anyone on their roster.

56 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

We’ll see. It only takes two teams to drive the price up, and Darnold has more natural talent and experience than the majority of 2nd round QBs. He’d be a high level backup for a team like the Bucs or Steelers that could probably be extended on a team friendly deal with performance incentives. 

While I understand your logic if the Jets are picking #1 or definitely going quarterback teams know they don’t have to give up much at all. Tampa could probably have Darnold right now for a 5th round pick. I don’t see any scenarios where multiple teams are bidding for a backup quarterback who is completely shell shocked. Darnold has some value on draft stock and possible unlocked talent, not at a 2nd round pick value though. It only takes one Bill O’Brien has proven that, I just don’t see it likely 

Edited by Rc2catch

6 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

You might be kidding but honestly it’s a good plan. Maybe it was the plan the whole time?! Hire Gase, proven track record of being someone who can run off players and make your team bottom out. Get Lawerence or trade the pick for probably the biggest return in the history of the league.

Haha no I wasn’t kidding. And no I didn’t mean it was the plan the whole time. Chris Johnson doesn’t have that kind of forethought. He got fooled by Peyton Manning into hiring Gase.

The hierarchy of the Jets is interesting...both coach and GM are equals who both answer to owner directly. Coach recommended GM for the job. GM at this point has to know coach is not the guy but coach got him the job.

Watching the players and coach, they mostly all showing up for the pay check. Players laughing on the sidelines while Miami shuts you out is all you need to know. From the top down they are going through the motions until the draft.

The Jets also never pay good money for HCs and just hope for lighting in a bottle with an upstart or....Gase. The big tuna was the only time they went for it. So getting Lawrence is no guarantee they are good to go.

8 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

Would be hilarious if Lawrence refused to play for the Jets.  

THIS would be awesome and a HUGE kick in the teeth - but really - who would blame him other than desperate Jests fans........

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

While I understand your logic if the Jets are picking #1 or definitely going quarterback teams know they don’t have to give up much at all. Tampa could probably have Darnold right now for a 5th round pick. I don’t see any scenarios where multiple teams are bidding for a backup quarterback who is completely shell shocked. Darnold has some value on draft stock and possible unlocked talent, not at a 2nd round pick value though. It only takes one Bill O’Brien has proven that, I just don’t see it likely 

May not be. This an agree to disagree moment. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1