Andre Roberts is a plus

Shaw66

NFL games are not only hard to win, but are most often won by few points.  Which means that individual plays have great influence over games, and especially plays by your non-stars who pay bit roles.  Cue Andre Roberts, who I think will "win" us a game this season.

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I didn't get all the bashing of Roberts around here this summer.  Whenever I see him return kicks, including last season, it seems pretty clear that he has the knack.

Through four games, Bills are seventh in kickoff return average and seventh in punt return average.  Historically, leaders in average do it by having a TD return or too, but the Bills haven't done that.  

I'm sure the special teams are creating the opportunities, but it's obvious that Roberts can read the broken field and take advantage.  

He's an important piece to the team's success.  

he was only bashed by irrational duke lovers who have since thankfully fallen silent

1 hour ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

NFL games are not only hard to win, but are most often won by few points.  Which means that individual plays have great influence over games, and especially plays by your non-stars who pay bit roles.  Cue Andre Roberts, who I think will "win" us a game this season.

That's really well said.  It's a point I don't often think of, how the random individual play changes games.  

What McBeane are looking for is guys who execute their jobs at a consistently high level, play after play AND have the ability to make the occasional individual play that has great influence.  I think that may be what Josh Norman is.  That's what Oliver is.  And certainly Roberts.  Those guys make your team both strong and dangerous.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Every year a few people want to cut a good returner in favor of a sixth string WR who will see 3 snaps a game.

Every year they look silly saying so.

I've always looked at it this way: If a returner has 30 punt return yards per game -- and that's about what Roberts is averaging so far this season -- it means he's gotten you three first downs. By comparison, not many bottom-of-the-roster wide receivers playing limited snaps would get you three first downs per game. Simple math.

7 hours ago, eball said:

Sorry to be blunt, but anyone with half a brain knew Roberts wasn't going anywhere because of how good/reliable he is as a returner, and he's not a liability if he has to fill in at WR.

E-Man, couldn’t agree more.  It is a lot of let’s play madden and keep thinking we know more than the pros.  A 6th WR who is one 9f the best returners in football is a no brainer.  It’s not like he is a starting WR.  We have 4 that handle that job really well in Diggs, Brown, Beasley, and Davis.  We have a gadget guy that proved last week in McKenzie who also in a pinch can play CB like he did last year Who is valuable.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

That's really well said.  It's a point I don't often think of, how the random individual play changes games.  

What McBeane are looking for is guys who execute their jobs at a consistently high level, play after play AND have the ability to make the occasional individual play that has great influence.  I think that may be what Josh Norman is.  That's what Oliver is.  And certainly Roberts.  Those guys make your team both strong and dangerous.  

This.  Great Point.

Edited by {::'KayCeeS::}

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

There are only a handful of all pros in this league

You are absolutely right Shaw, that you want disciplined football players who play their role, and are able to make a play within that role

Our defense relies on nobody, we have a handful of guys who are able to make plays when given a chance

Eh, at the end of the season Andre Roberts will probably be responsible for two turnovers...and they just happened to be tonight.  Bad game.  Horrible game.  But I'm much more worried about other aspects of the club more so than Roberts.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/8/2020 at 1:58 PM, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Well....you could argue he "lost" us a game tonight.  Not singlehandedly, but the INT off his deflected catch that turned into a touch was a huge early momentum swing, and his fumble that turned into a touch added to the embarrassment if nothing else.

On 10/8/2020 at 2:51 PM, JoPoy88 said:

he was only bashed by irrational duke lovers who have since thankfully fallen silent

Well hey y'all watch this

the philosophy where KR/PR is an entry point for incredible athletes where they can develop into offense contributors Is nice.

Roberts will never be anymore than he is. Yeah he amassed return yards. He had a couple around 23-25 yards.   Downing it in the EZ doesn't change the game a bit but his return yardage looks great. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

TBH Roberts had a game he would love to forget. Hardly anything went right for him.

Having said that, he wasn’t necessarily making bad decisions, his execution was just not there.

I am a lot more worried about the D going forward. We desperately need more from any CB not named White and someone who can step up for Milano. Backup CBs and LBers are becoming a major concern.

11 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am okay with Roberts getting bottled up on returns.  That happens. Titans owned us on ST.

The drop/int and the fumble though are just flat-out terrible, game-changing errors. Just really bad game by Roberts. 

They have plenty of skill position weapons--no need for him getting targets.  Also, why is ST having him run out all those kickoffs?

• Like (+1) 1