Postgame Thread: Bills at Raiders

Just now, mattynh said:

The D did get a couple turnovers in the 4th so have to give credit there but man they give up a lot of easy yards and generally are not playing well with a lead.

That’s been a lot of teams though. Dallas has some talent and they have a historically bad defense. Even Baltimore isn’t looking so great. Just a bad start to defense for most teams. I fully expect defenses to step it up in the coming weeks as these games mean more 

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Marcel was awful the last year. What are you basing this on? 2-3 years ago?

..or maybe they just keep dialing up blitzes and more exotic pressure schemes to force faster throws over signing 

I am basing it on that we need to get heavier on the DL.  I know Marcel is not coming back but we need a guy that can take on 2 blockers and hold the LOS.  Also, we have a young linebacker who consistently shoots the wrong hole which doesn’t help.  

23 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

- Norman played well, but I don't think he was the catalyst for the tunraround. The Bills got more aggressive on defense.

- The Bills offensive line won't be the best in football, but it has excellent depth. 

- People upset about the lack of running game have a poor frame of reference. It's a passing league more than ever. Ground and Pound is for teams that don't have a QB or weapons in the passing game. 

- Bill line are better pass protectors than run blockers. Why would they stop doing something that is moving the chains just so they can adhere to a vision of football that died a few years ago?

I think what people want to see in the 2nd half when we are going up against a poor run defense team, and they start to drop 8 DBs we keep running the ball.

I like Singletary, but in those situations I want someone that hits the gap with authority and Singletary does a lot of dancing behind the line. Daboll seems to be of the school that you keep feeding the same guy the ball, but would not have minded seeing some runs out of our bigger backs - Yeldon or Moss (if he was healthy). Yeldon looked good in limited action in one game and may be a good back to force teams to keep a linebacker on the field or a safety up near the line.

No knock on Singletary, he is good at making guys miss when they stack the box.

We made it through another game, and kudos for the defense playing with a bit more pride the second half of this game. Would like to see some better execution out of our offense and Allen getting rid of the ball faster in the second half of games. Always seems like later in the games that the odd extended play, taking a deep sack, and hero-ball creeps in. He is going to have to tame that side of how he plays.

On a positive note the coaching staff did get Allen to throw the ball away a few times when there were no good options or the play broke down. That is progress.

Edited by WideNine

16 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Allen’s shoulder should be a big worry. He didn’t look right even making some great throws after coming back in. 

Gameday thread, some of you are sickening. I hope it was day drinking before the 4:30 start. But I’m gonna have to bust out the block button you guys are sick in the head. 
4-0, lead the whole game, and you cried like we’re the dang Jets. Control your emotions kids I know you’re not used to being in the elite category 

I'm not too worried about the shoulder. He made some great throws after that and I don't think they would have called that play where he snuck in for the TD if his shoulder was seriously injured. They also called surprisingly few running plays considering they were in the lead, risking sacks. Allen is fine.

6 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I mean hes missed 3 if I'm not mistaken, and 1 of them he actually made. So really he's missed 2, haushka lost us 2 games last year. I dont feel like we are any worse off than last year at kicking 

I don't disagree with that but it shouldn't really be a Bass vs. Hauschka comparison, right? Is that the only option? I''m still for a Hauschka upgrade, just slightly concerned that Bass may not be it. Think Zane Gonzalez is out there (edit - nope) still. Yeah it's rough out there, but you don't have to stick with a kicker just because he was drafted. Bass may have the yips, he looks bad right now.

Edited by Nelius

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Disagree.  Norman's play seemed to be the spark that woke them up.   The D line played better and seemed to play faster after his recovery (subbing out Klein for Dodson didn't hurt either)...   

A blind man could see that!

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

That’s been a lot of teams though. Dallas has some talent and they have a historically bad defense. Even Baltimore isn’t looking so great. Just a bad start to defense for most teams. I fully expect defenses to step it up in the coming weeks as these games mean more 

That is true.....I think no fans and the NFL wanting points are to blame.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

That would make more sense if it happened in the 2nd half and not the 1st quarter.

Interesting that 12:39 of the fourth quarter can travel back in time.  Does it have a Delorian?...

Edited by Lurker

6 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I was eating supper when Josh took that sack.  So glad I wasn't in the thread for that.  I mean, yeah sure I'd rather than he throw it away, but I just can't understand being a fan of this team and getting hung up on that one play when Allen played so well.

Cmon. Plays like that can lose games - see Atlanta SuperBowl. It is one blemish on an otherwise great game. But it is reasonable for the fan base to go nuts on such a play becuae it is 100% mental and 100% avoidable .

Just now, Freak-O said:

I'm not too worried about the shoulder. He made some great throws after that and I don't think they would have called that play where he snuck in for the TD if his shoulder was seriously injured. They also called surprisingly few running plays considering they were in the lead, risking sacks. Allen is fine.

I hope so. I thought the exchange on the 4th down McKenzie sweep was awfully weird looking, I didn’t rewind but it looked like Allen handed it off with his right hand which was backwards at that angle. 

20 minutes ago, Ta111 said:

Then there is no playoff caliber defense in the league. The scoring is up against everyone in the league. The D actually came through big today.

Agree that scoring is up, but this defense can’t stop an opponent unless there is a turnover.

Just now, mattynh said:

That is true.....I think no fans and the NFL wanting points are to blame.

I do wonder about preseason as well and the limited offseason. But we’re not seeing the normal defenses across the league not just in buffalo. Maybe just the perfect storm of 2020. 
I don’t think this is the trend for the whole season though 

Milano recovery WAS a recovery.  PROVE me wrong!?!?!?!?

Norman even tho he took a few lumps was solid on the punch out/recovery play!  Sweet.

JA...weirdly was a lil off but still was very very good.

DIGGS!  Holy muther effing sheet.  BEST move by Beane so far and he has had a few but WHOLY MUTHER OF GAWD!  What a difference he is......

D did much better than I expected....was a little shaky at times but pulled it out.  Time to shop for a DT!

GO BILLS!!!!

Edited by Kwai San
DIGGS!!!

Just now, Rc2catch said:

I do wonder about preseason as well and the limited offseason. But we’re not seeing the normal defenses across the league not just in buffalo. Maybe just the perfect storm of 2020. 
I don’t think this is the trend for the whole season though 

Time will tell....I would think by week 4 the no preseason affects would wear off.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

A blind man could see that!

It will be nice if Norman can get back to playing at the high level he played when he was with McD in NC.

He has not had a lot of success the past few years, but looked fired up.

• Like (+1) 1

I just want to congratulate every Bills fan who has been here since hoping that Todd Collins would be the heir to Kelly.  

We've been through a lot.  So many losing seasons, heartbreaks, Bledsoe w/ a chance to make the playoffs against Pitt's 2nd string, the Losman/Edwards debate, Dallas MNF, New England MNF (and so many other NE games), Jauron, Williams, Mularkey, Gailey....all of it.

And we came through clean on the other side, and are riding high w/ a great young team & one of the league's best young QB's.

Good times ahead.  And we have earned every single one of 'em.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Nelius said:

I don't disagree with that but it shouldn't really be a Bass vs. Hauschka comparison, right? Is that the only option? I''m still for a Hauschka upgrade, just slightly concerned that Bass may not be it. Think Zane Gonzalez and Mason Crosby are out there. We don't need to stick with a kicker just because it's a draft pick, imo.

I agree, I just want to see more from him, he has a huge leg. And remember Carlson got cut by the vikings when he was a rookie but he's been money this year. I guess I'm just not ready yet to drop him but I will say I'm nervous when he kicks.

• Like (+1) 1

4-0 and possibly +2 on NE.  3-0 in AFC and 2-0 in East.  It's amazing how the schedule doesn't look as tough now.  Titans.  Hmmm .. Covid..  Broncos.  Hmm  Missing a bunch of players.  Seattle .. Hmm.  Porous Defense..   Cardinals .. Hmm.  Lost B2B games.  9ers.. Hmm Injuries have really weakened their team...  Patriots.. Hmm.  Cams COVIDing

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Norcalbillsfan said:

I agree, I just want to see more from him, he has a huge leg. And remember Carlson got cut by the vikings when he was a rookie but he's been money this year. I guess I'm just not ready yet to drop him but I will say I'm nervous when he kicks.

Yeah I was looking at an outdated list too, seems like neither of those kickers are actually available now. It's rough out there. Clearly an important position.

1 minute ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Offense has been so dang good the kid hasn’t had many field goal attempts. I don’t wanna give up yet. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Allen’s shoulder should be a big worry. He didn’t look right even making some great throws after coming back in. 

Gameday thread, some of you are sickening. I hope it was day drinking before the 4:30 start. But I’m gonna have to bust out the block button you guys are sick in the head. 
4-0, lead the whole game, and you cried like we’re the dang Jets. Control your emotions kids I know you’re not used to being in the elite category 

I used to think the same.  But, I now think it's some version of cathartic, psycho dump that helps keep the world in balance so I'm ok with it.

On a side note, just do a search for some Jets post game YouTube videos on a weekly basis.  Their suffering is good therapy too.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

I just want to congratulate every Bills fan who has been here since hoping that Todd Collins would be the heir to Kelly.  

We've been through a lot.  So many losing seasons, heartbreaks, Bledsoe w/ a chance to make the playoffs against Pitt's 2nd string, the Losman/Edwards debate, Dallas MNF, New England MNF (and so many other NE games), Jauron, Williams, Mularkey, Gailey....all of it.

And we came through clean on the other side, and are riding high w/ a great young team & one of the league's best young QB's.

We're 4-0 and we have our QB for the next 10 years.  This is a blissful time to be a fan.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

The officiating is such garbage this year - it’s worse than usual.  Not sure why instant replay exists after the Brown non-TD today and the Kroft INT last week.  Not to mention the quick unreviewable whistle on Carr’s strip sack.  The league has a serious credibility problem and it’s going to show up big time in the playoffs yet again, I guarantee it.  Goodell is such an a-hole.

• Like (+1) 8

4 minutes ago, Success said:

Ya man.....I was never on the Collins bandwagon but sheeeeeeeit it took too damn long to get a FRANCHISE QB in B-lo.  Good times now INDEED!

Go BILLS!!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I love Dabes but thought we ran the ball too much today. on 1st down in particular.

They had cluster injuries in the secondary and Josh went for a hair under 8.5 ypa, and we're wasting plays running ineffectually.

Maybe they were afraid of #17 taking more hits? But a QB sneak on a 1st down at the goal line doesn't line up with that.

Feels amazing to be 4-0 though ;)

• Like (+1) 1