Spencer Long retires three days after signing with 49ers

Logic

4 minutes ago, eball said:

But Beane was sleeping and should have gotten a draft pick!

Beane 1, know-it-all fans 0. 

Like I said before, there are things you can criticize Beane over, but getting picks for players isn't one of them.  If he can, he will.

• Like (+1) 2

Pretty awesome timing Beanester! 

Or, maybe he took the post-deadline CoronaVirus opt-out.  As PFT has been openly encouraging players to do for a couple weeks.

Maybe next year when he's looking for a team, its better to say "i quit for health reasons" than "i was fired."

Or, maybe (small chance) that he got to SF, saw their Virus protocols in action, and said "aw hail naw"

Edited by maddenboy

27 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Bit of a leap there.

Not really.  Retiring is a pretty big decision that one doesn't arrive at quickly.  And often-times quietly.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

Very likely that his position coach picked up on his level of commitment to football - or lack thereof - throughout the offseason and early TC and when Winters entered the FA market, he told mcd and beane to please swap out those two based on what he saw 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Very likely that his position coach picked up on his level of commitment to football - or lack thereof - throughout the offseason and early TC and when Winters entered the FA market, he told mcd and beane to please swap out those two based on what he saw 

Could have been anyone from a coach or another O-lineman.  Hell Long might have even told them he was considering it so they decided to cut bait.  There were other candidates for release and they easily could have afforded to keep him on the roster cap-wise.

It could also be that he was still playing because he liked the culture, locker room, and coaches in Buffalo.  Maybe when he got to San Fran and got a sense of the team he realized that he wasn't going to enjoy it as much as he had in Buffalo. He probably already has more than enough money to retire comfortably (the Jets gave him a big contract when he left the Washington Football Team) and simply decided to call it a day.

Either way, he is a part of the Bills' family now and I wish him all the best in retirement.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 9

25 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not really.  Retiring is a pretty big decision that one doesn't arrive at quickly.  And often-times quietly.

or he just decided he didn’t want to uproot everything on a whim and move across the country.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, inaugural balls said:

I'm not seeing the leap. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

I might say even probable. 

Didn’t say it’s impossible. 

said it was a leap to declare it true.

Edited by NoSaint

1 minute ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Brandon, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

I thought he was the Key Master...

• Haha (+1) 1

Someone brought up the opt out thing, and to that very small minority, the opt out ended a week and half ago.  He retires, he gets only what he made and that’s it.  It doesn’t matter if he had a horrible disease genetic history or something, he had to opt out by the deadline.  For the 100th time, the $150k is an advance, they have to pay it back.  If they have a legitimate medical excuse like for example Star, the $200k, they don’t have to pay back.  The team is on the hook for that part.

Whatever his reason, god bless. Him, his family, and hope he is healthy.  I don’t need to know whether there was a medical reason or not.  It’s none of my business.  If he retires, ok.  If he decides to come back, great.  You would think the man isn’t dumb, if he had a legitimate medical reason like type 1 diabetes, asthma, cardiac history, whatever, he would have opted out by the deadline and received the $200 k free and clear.

19 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Nor do I see the declaration

I can’t make you get your eyes checked but I would suggest it

9 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Someone brought up the opt out thing, and to that very small minority, the opt out ended a week and half ago.  He retires, he gets only what he made and that’s it.  It doesn’t matter if he had a horrible disease genetic history or something, he had to opt out by the deadline.  For the 100th time, the $150k is an advance, they have to pay it back.  If they have a legitimate medical excuse like for example Star, the $200k, they don’t have to pay back.  The team is on the hook for that part.

Whatever his reason, god bless. Him, his family, and hope he is healthy.  I don’t need to know whether there was a medical reason or not.  It’s none of my business.  If he retires, ok.  If he decides to come back, great.  You would think the man isn’t dumb, if he had a legitimate medical reason like type 1 diabetes, asthma, cardiac history, whatever, he would have opted out by the deadline and received the $200 k free and clear.

Could be any number. Could be a surprise on his physical. Could be an angry wife. Could be not wanting to move across the country for a new job during the pandemic. Could be he was shocked by how much he disliked the dude at the locker next to him and he said screw it I don’t want to be semi quarantined with strangers I don’t like.

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I can’t make you get your eyes checked but I would suggest it

Could be any number. Could be a surprise on his physical. Could be an angry wife. Could be not wanting to move across the country for a new job during the pandemic. Could be he was shocked by how much he disliked the dude at the locker next to him and he said screw it I don’t want to be semi quarantined with strangers I don’t like.

Completely agree Saint.  Don’t care.  His business.  He’ll figure out what he does next.  NFL, life after football, whatever.

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Have to wonder why he even bothered signing with the Niners 

Did he sign there or did they get him off waivers?

If it was waivers then maybe it's true that the Bills knew something releasing him and the 49ers took a chance on him. If he signed in SF, then he obviously had something come up recently to make him changes his mind. Neither way makes Beane a God like people here perceive him to be. The Bills cut him, getting the exact same thing for him they would have gotten had he retired a Bill except if he retires signed with them they may get some more cap relief and still hold his rights if he wants to come back.

5 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

If it was waivers then maybe it's true that the Bills knew something releasing him and the 49ers took a chance on him. If he signed in SF, then he obviously had something come up recently to make him changes his mind. Neither way makes Beane a God like people here perceive him to be. The Bills cut him, getting the exact same thing for him they would have gotten had he retired a Bill except if he retires signed with them they may get some more cap relief and still hold his rights if he wants to come back.

He signed there, not subject to waivers 

Brian Winters looked like a clear upgrade even before Long's retirement announcement.  San Francisco can at least be grateful Long didn't wait until halftime of game one to pull the plug on his career.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

or he just decided he didn’t want to uproot everything on a whim and move across the country.

That’s my thought too.  I didn’t see details of his contract and can’t find even a dollar amount in the internet.  Between moving, Cali taxes and cost of living in SF maybe it just wasn’t worth it to him for a one year contract that was probably heavily incentivized. 

Edited by BarleyNY

31 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Long had too many years in the league to be subjected to waivers at this time of season.  The Bills had to outright release him. 

Edited by BarleyNY

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

He likely had more offers than just the 9'ers.  People here were thinking Beane could have flipped him for a pick.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Have to wonder why he even bothered signing with the Niners 

I think he was seriously thinking about retirement, got his release, tried to give it another go and then called it quits.  Again it's not a decision you make quickly or quietly.