McDermott contract extension

Estro

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Do you honestly think there was going to be a bidding war on McDermott?  Like what if they completely suck this year against a much harder (on paper) schedule?  And even if they were doing great, do you think he won’t sign an extension in the middle of season?

and I’m fine with it but I get it if someone did think it was earlier.  

If it turns out he sucks for the next 2 years, then they fire him and it doesnt affect the team at all. Only Terry's (well-stocked) bank account.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, KingBoots8 said:

Absolutely the right move at the right time. Beane is next in line, then we gotta pony up for Tre. 

so happy to see this organization doing what needs to be done. We’ve come a long way

I think Milano and Dawkins get one before Tre. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Aren't all coach contracts fully guaranteed?

No.  Many were, but later years on longer contracts sometimes guarantee after certain dates or when other criteria are met.  For example McD might have a three or four year rolling guarantee up through the end of the contract as opposed to a full six year guarantee at this moment.  I doubt we will ever know for sure. 

Edited by BarleyNY

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Premature move and too long an extension. 

Would like to see them field a formidable offense and win ONE playoff game before handing out this kindve extension.... but the standards have been so low here McDermott is seen as untouchable. 

I would proffer that most NFL clubs would be quite pleased with 2/3 making playoffs years, turning a "wrecks" of a defense into a powerhouse, and setting the table for sustained success, but whatevs. :rolleyes:  

Also, I've seen plenty of criticism of him, sometimes warranted, sometimes not on these same boards, so the notion that he's untouchable just rings a bit hollow.  

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What’s the rush?  When’s the last time there was a bidding war for a GM?  If the offense is much improved and Allen takes a step forward, he will get a new deal.  If Allen doesn’t, that’s about as big of a miss as you can have and it would make me question if he’s the guy going forward.  

I also would have waited on McDermott but I have slowly come around on him being a good coach.  He’s one of the best defensive coaches in the game but still has had some big mistakes (so far, bad offenses/ OC, Peterman, coaching challenges).  But he is a really good man who players seem to love and he is the leader of the franchise.  Even if Allen doesn’t make it, I am fine with him getting a shot with another qb.  

this year needs to happen because it will be the best possible test to see where this franchise is.  No more excuses. 

What makes you so sure there wouldn't be a bidding war on McD and/or Beane? 

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Would like to see them field a formidable offense and win ONE playoff game before handing out this kindve extension.... but the standards have been so low here McDermott is seen as untouchable. 

Bwahhahahahahahaha, 

I just won twenty bucks on your predictably, F n awsome ?? thanks,

Go Bills!!!

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I really don't like the conservative style of play that he uses in the playoffs. I think he is a very good coach at teaching techniques on the practice field. I think he is just average on game day trying to outsmart or make the right calls.

It's a mixed bag so I agree he's average and hopefully will get better.  He's decent at making defensive adjustments as there were a few games last year (Giants and Cowboys come to mind) where they marched down the field the first drive and didn't do much more the rest of the game.  He allows teams to linger rather than go for the jugular and it comes back to bite him like the Texans game.  Some of his decisions have baffled me and he just got lucky that the other team bailed him out.  The punt in overtime against the Colts.  Going for it on 4th and 27 at the end of the Texans game down three instead of either punting it or attempting a 60 yard field goal.  He's only 3 of 15 on challenges in his career.  He's made a lot of good in game decisions as well but the bad one's will always be magnified.  Hopefully the hiring of a game manager will help.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If it turns out he sucks for the next 2 years, then they fire him and it doesnt affect the team at all. Only Terry's (well-stocked) bank account.

True.  Even as billionaire, I won’t want to eat money but the Pegulas have done it a lot with Sabres already.  

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Do you honestly think there was going to be a bidding war on McDermott?  Like what if they completely suck this year against a much harder (on paper) schedule?  And even if they were doing great, do you think he won’t sign an extension in the middle of season?

and I’m fine with it but I get it if someone did think it was earlier.  

I'm not sure where the bidding was came from.

Someone mentioned the deal wasn't the best, and I knew Scott would chime in with stats and PPG and W/L record.  

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Awesome. So split it 50/50?

No way man, I’m going to Don Chuy for some Mexican food, ?

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Would like to see them field a formidable and offense and win ONE playoff game before handing out this kindve extension.... but the standards have been so low here McDermott is seen as untouchable. 

Well if nothing else

word – The Write Nook

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

All years on all coaching contracts are guaranteed. No?

They are separate from the Cap, and paid like any internal employee.

Separate from the cap, yes.  Fully guaranteed, not always.  The longer ones often have outs or rolling guarantees.  Details of coach’s contracts are usually kept secret so I’m going by leaked info.  For example, Gruden’s 10-year, $100M contract is said to be heavily backloaded with those high dollar years not guaranteed.  

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Defensively, I have zero disagreement.  But when your offense has ranked 29, 30, and 24, it’s not great. 

That equals Tyrod, .5 season of rookie Josh throwing to the likes of KB, and 1st full time year of Josh with still lacking weaponry. I'm expecting a big move up the leaderboard this year. 

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Well if nothing else

word – The Write Nook

Somewhat ironic, as "consistency" is one of McD's coaching philosophies...:w00t:

Just now, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I'm not sure where the bidding was came from.

Someone mentioned the deal wasn't the best, and I knew Scott would chime in with stats and PPG and W/L record.  

I mean points/ per game is a pretty important stat right? ?

as a defensive coach, McD is one of the best in the game.  But as head coach, he is responsible for everything.  But since he’s been a coach, we have had one of the worst offenses in the league.  It’s just a fact.  This year is huge because if they don’t improve, we could be on our 3rd OC in McDermott’s tenure and possibly a new qb.  

but again, I’m generally fine with it because I think McDermott is a good leader and will always have us in games because of his defense. 

I kinda hope when it comes time to sign Beane that Kim will be willing to give him her president title. That way Beane can be the GM/President. That would not really allow another team to come in and offer him the title at a later point if we were to be doing really well. The Colts were able to snag Polian from the Panthers because they gave him the president title along with GM

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's a mixed bag so I agree he's average and hopefully will get better.  He's decent at making defensive adjustments as there were a few games last year (Giants and Cowboys come to mind) where they marched down the field the first drive and didn't do much more the rest of the game.  He allows teams to linger rather than go for the jugular and it comes back to bite him like the Texans game.  Some of his decisions have baffled me and he just got lucky that the other team bailed him out.  The punt in overtime against the Colts.  Going for it on 4th and 27 at the end of the Texans game down three instead of either punting it or attempting a 60 yard field goal.  He's only 3 of 15 on challenges in his career.  He's made a lot of good in game decisions as well but the bad one's will always be magnified.  Hopefully the hiring of a game manager will help.

Easily the worst in game decision I've ever seen a Bills coach make. You have a 4th and 1 on the opponents 41 yard line, with 4 minutes left in OT, in a game with extreme weather conditions, and a tie severely reduces your playoff chances. Punting there was unbelievably dumb, but a lot of people forget/forgive it because we ended up winning.

This is also the guy that decided to start Nathan Peterman when we were in the midst of the playoff race (week 11 vs Chargers), and went into the next season with Peterman as his #1 QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

That equals Tyrod, .5 season of rookie Josh throwing to the likes of KB, and 1st full time year of Josh with still lacking weaponry. I'm expecting a big move up the leaderboard this year. 

Somewhat ironic, as "consistency" is one of McD's coaching philosophies...:w00t:

Fair.  It’s also worth pointing out that that in years previous to McDermott, Tyrod led offenses that finished 13 and 16 in yards and 10th and 12th in points.  His Peterman decision was one of the worst decisions ever made.  

I do think he is a good coach but so far, his offense have sucked.  And that’s on him for hiring Ocs with poor resumes.  There needs to be big time improvement on that side of the ball.  And if it does, we have a legit SB contender.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Separate from the cap, yes.  Fully guaranteed, not always.  The longer ones often have outs or rolling guarantees.  Details of coach’s contracts are usually kept secret so I’m going by leaked info.  For example, Gruden’s 10-year, $100M contract is said to be heavily backloaded with those high dollar years not guaranteed.  

Given his experience with the Davis family and coaching contracts, I'd be surprised if this was true. I agree it's possible, I'd just be surprised.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

as a defensive coach, McD is one of the best in the game.  But as head coach, he is responsible for everything.  But since he’s been a coach, we have had one of the worst offenses in the league.  It’s just a fact.  This year is huge because if they don’t improve, we could be on our 3rd OC in McDermott’s tenure and possibly a new qb.  

but again, I’m generally fine with it because I think McDermott is a good leader and will always have us in games because of his defense. 

That corresponds with a dearth of offensive talent his first couple of years as well. Since then, the OL has been stabilized and the skill positions improved. No reason to think Daboll won’t improve on the stats. 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

100%.

Fans are simply comparing McD to the trash the Bills have had the past two decades so like I said... the standards have been so low here that it makesMcD look like BB as a coach. 

I would love to read the happiness in the Jauron  extension thread (actually no because I was super happy about it haha). 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Fair.  It’s also worth pointing out that that in years previous to McDermott, Tyrod led offenses that finished 13 and 16 in yards and 10th and 12th in points.  His Peterman decision was one of the worst decisions ever made.  

I do think he is a good coach but so far, his offense have sucked.  And that’s on him for hiring Ocs with poor resumes.  There needs to be big time improvement on that side of the ball.  And if it does, we have a legit SB contender.

No question, no excuses. 

20 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Re Scott,

Its all about the PPG and stats.  Josh's stats suck     :doh:

PPG could be deflated by play style. But I agree the offense was not a top half of the league offense let alone an elite one. If I had to rank the offense last season it wouldn't be tragic but it would probably be 17-20ish and if you have a top 3-4 defense you probably are going to lean on that to get your team some wins. I hope with the additions of Diggs and Moss along with progression in Josh and Singletary (along with O-line chemistry) the team can knock on having a top 10 offense which should give them a good shot to win playoff games if the defense can be about as good as it was last season.

Edited by billsfan89

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

100%.

Fans are simply comparing McD to the trash the Bills have had the past two decades so like I said... the standards have been so low here that it makesMcD look like BB as a coach. 

Absolutely not.

Look around the league. There isnt exactly a ton of coaching options or prospects. Heck, teams are bringing in 1-year college coaches.

Without looking through a list, I'd say he's arguably a top 10 HC in the NFL. And I think a LOT of players around the league would agree.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, K-9 said:

That corresponds with a dearth of offensive talent his first couple of years as well. Since then, the OL has been stabilized and the skill positions improved. No reason to think Daboll won’t improve on the stats. 

I mean the reason might be that Daboll just isn’t a good OC and has no track record of having a successful nfl offense. Jalen Hurts, SEC player of the year as a freshman, regressed under him and then became a Heisman finalist at Oklahoma.  

but I hope you’re right because the sky is the limit if they have a good offense. 

3 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Easily the worst in game decision I've ever seen a Bills coach make. You have a 4th and 1 on the opponents 41 yard line, with 4 minutes left in OT, in a game with extreme weather conditions, and a tie severely reduces your playoff chances. Punting there was unbelievably dumb, but a lot of people forget/forgive it because we ended up winning.

I remember people doing mental gymnastics to try and justify it.  I still don't understand the decision.  Even worse was after the game he said that he's seen where ties have meant the difference between making and missing the playoffs.  Yet we would've been eliminated with a tie and we knew that before that game.

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yes. So is Wins and Losses and making the playoffs.

But I'm not going to sit and argue with you to just ruin good news 

22 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I don't see much of an upside to extending him with 2 years left either. I suppose if we win the SB maybe we locked him in at a lower price and saved $$

How much has our world improved that we can say things like this and not have the premise (winning a SB) be a completely ridiculous thing to say?

This regime has demonstrated they want to keep and sign “their own.” No reason that can’t apply to the coaching staff too, and at least there you’re not constrained by salary cap management or anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

100%.

Fans are simply comparing McD to the trash the Bills have had the past two decades so like I said... the standards have been so low here that it makes McD look like BB as a coach. 

Very good defensive coach. Poor offensive coach and poor offensive feel in general. 

Better personnel on offense now. This is the first year with McDermott as HC where the offense will be expected to carry their own weight. Pressure is really on Daboll and Allen to start producing.