McDermott contract extension

Estro

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Isn’t that more of a product of extremely low expectations?  Like someone who has had sex in 17 years is going to think anyone who sleeps with is amazing.

Umm, no.  It's called taking a completely dysfunctional organization and immediately turning it into one that is now consistently praised throughout the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would have seen how this year went and gave them an extension during the season if they deserved it.  But it’s not my money so whatever. 

Of course you would have.  And then if they hadn't, the Bills had a good season and McD walked because he had better offers, you'd be railing on them for not locking him up now.

Just now, eball said:

Umm, no.  It's called taking a completely dysfunctional organization and immediately turning it into one that is now consistently praised throughout the NFL.

They won 7,8, and 9 games the 3 years before McDermott.  You act like they took over the winless Browns or Lions.  Also, we can debate how good that talent was, but guys like Sammy (2nd), Tyrod (3rd), Darby (3rd), clearly had value in the league and helped with the “rebuild.”

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Dick Jauron was extended three years after the hot start in ‘08. 

That Oakland game was nuts in the lots. We were parked in the main lot across Abbott from the stadium closer to Southwestern. I don’t have the best memory but I remember after the game there was a guy in full Ultimate Warrior Bills style going nuts and a car on fire. Lots of arrests in the lots too. 
Tables would have been minor leagues that day.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Of course you would have.  And then if they hadn't, the Bills had a good season and McD walked because he had better offers, you'd be railing on them for not locking him up now.

Yeah, this won’t have happened.  Just like it won’t have happened with Jauron (former coach of the year).  Or basically with any coach ever.  

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, this won’t have happened.  Just like it won’t have happened with Jauron (former coach of the year).  Or basically with any coach ever. 

Huh?  First of all, Jauron never took the Bills to the playoffs once, much less twice.  And second, he was extended just 1 year.

1 minute ago, eball said:

If @ScottLaw and @C.Biscuit97 took their hot takes on McDermott to literally anyone "in the know" in NFL circles they'd be laughed out of the room.  Too funny.

You are the most sensitive human being on the board.  I make a perfectly reasonable post and Instead of countering it (because I’m much smarter than you and you can’t), you try to make it personal.  

You loved the Jauron extension.  You love the Fitz extension.  You love everything thing they do.  Which is fine,  you’re Easy money.  But you have no objectivity and are constantly wrong.  

And at no point have I once said he wasn’t a good coach. Stop being a soccer mom. 

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I think McD will open things up if he feels he can trust Josh more. Since 2017 when he got here he hasn't had a QB or an offense that has been the team's strength. The defense has always been the strong suit of the team and McD has smartly played to the team's strength to get 2 winning seasons  and 2 playoff appearances. He hasn't really had a QB or an offense that can play "aggressively." I hope that in 2020 with Josh getting another year under him, an O-line with better chemistry and Diggs adding more pop to the skill position set the offense comes together and makes more aggressive play a consistent part of the team's playing style. You should only go conservative when you are up 3 possessions when you have only 3-4 possessions left in the game. McD seemed to go conservative with a 2 score lead fairly early in the second half when the Texans had 6-7 possessions left.

You know what makes a coach be more aggressive?

JOB SECURITY

Dont be surprised if we have a bolder Mcdermott this year

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Doc said:

Huh?  First of all, Jauron never took the Bills to the playoffs once, much less twice.  And second, he was extended just 1 year.

There wasn’t going to be a bidding war.  It’s insane.  But he’s a top 5 defensive coach so I’m good with him.  Now he needs to make the offense much better and he will be a SB type coach and everything will be great. 

53 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Absolutely not.

Look around the league. There isnt exactly a ton of coaching options or prospects. Heck, teams are bringing in 1-year college coaches.

Without looking through a list, I'd say he's arguably a top 10 HC in the NFL. And I think a LOT of players around the league would agree.

I don’t want to blast those that are saying that McD has things he needs to improve upon - he absolutely does.  But this point is salient.  Does anyone here have him in the bottom half of the league?  I don’t.  Does anyone here think he won’t get a few more seasons under almost any circumstance?  Save a total collapse and losing the team - which is highly unlikely anytime soon - I sure don’t.

So if your measure is that our HC needs to be top 5 with an impeccable track record, then you’re almost always going to be disappointed.  Belichick and Reid aren’t looking for a new HC job right now.  Sorry.  While I’ve been disappointed (sometimes very much so) in McD, IMO his overall performance warrants this vote of confidence.  The extension was warranted at this time and he deserves the chance to take this team as far as he can. 

• Like (+1) 2

Gosh, some of these posts drive me insane. 

The reason you extend McDermott is because it shows faith in the program and the people here. It creates stability and in no way complacency... because until you win it all... you’re fighting every day to do so. That allows McDermott to work knowing he’s got the faith of his bosses. Imagine know your boss truly believed in you... you’d be so much more productive on a day to day basis. It’s scientifically proven. 

As for his past decision, yeah there have been some bad ones. But nobody knows the inner workings behind them. He made the decision and he’s learned from all of the bad ones in some way shape or form. Heck, he’s screwed up big time and gotten the team to remain resilient despite his mistakes. The believe in him and they love him. That means more than using a timeout at the right time... the belief and love translates during practice, games, team activities on every play and every minute. That’s what makes the guy special... he has a growth mindset. 

I knew he was special and the team was special when Josh + some of the guys and their wives were out and realized it was McDermott’s birthday. They stopped their dinner and sent him a video. There is a genuine love for each other. I don’t think folks realize the importance of feeling like a person in a professional sports organization... especially as a player. They are always looking over their shoulder... to know they’re loved is the most important thing you can provide them. 

We have one of the best coaches in the league and he wants to be in Buffalo. He is Buffalo. Enjoy it please, before you’re looking back in 20 years wishing we could capture the same aura. 

Edited by JGMcD2

1 minute ago, Captain Hindsight said:

You know what makes a coach be more aggressive?

JOB SECURITY

Dont be surprised if we have a bolder Mcdermott this year

That’s a good point.  

but it would be hilarious if McDermott became like Haynesworth, showed up 50 lbs overweight, and just completely checked out. 

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Want to see him win some meaningful games 

When you look at the 50 games he's been the HC, there are 2 that wins that stand out.  The 2017 game at Atlanta that was a one score game and the Dallas Thanksgiving game.  Aside from that it's pretty meh.  He's a career 3-17 against teams that made the playoffs or actually in the post-season.  For reference, Buffalo was 1-5 against teams in those categories last season, having been outscored by 124-90. 

That said, it's hard to imagine any well-run franchises giving a HC an extension like this for being this average. 

1 hour ago, SDS said:

So do the pessimists think that when you start a new job you don’t change? You don’t do things better year after year? You don’t evolve over time? You’re the same person on day one as day 10,001? Is that the way life works?

There's a few shreds here of objective criticism for a HC who has not performed against top teams.  That may well change this season, but to garner a contract extension you'd like to see a better body of work.  The 2 playoff appearance retort is not strong given that several other organizations by now are winning in the playoffs. 

People forget about the WC game 7 months ago.  McD and company squandered a 16-0 lead in a about 20 minutes.  I didn't expect them to shut out Houston, but they fell apart in his last and probably biggest game coached.  I recognize on this board people aren't going to think that, but down the stretch McD was ordinary. 

I am very interested to see if McD embraces a strategy that features a more open offense.  I think he's pretty conservative, but says all the right things fans want to hear.  I would hope with another year of Daboll and Allen combined with Diggs and other skill players it'll become more than a bottom quartile NFL offense.

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

There wasn’t going to be a bidding war.  It’s insane.  But he’s a top 5 defensive coach so I’m good with him.  Now he needs to make the offense much better and he will be a SB type coach and everything will be great. 

Stop saying this like you know this for a fact.  And again as has been said, if he falters, the Bills fire him and move on.

17 minutes ago, eball said:

If @ScottLaw and @C.Biscuit97 took their hot takes on McDermott to literally anyone "in the know" in NFL circles they'd be laughed out of the room.  Too funny.

In the least surprising development of the past twenty years, those two jokers hate  the move.

I'm not only SHOCKED, I'm APPALLED.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, eball said:

Sorry, not a lick of this is true.  Irsay traded with the Panthers for Polian.  He gave them a 3rd round pick to allow Polian to leave.

He still gave Polian the president title. So, while he might have traded for him it was a good incentive for Polian himself to want to leave