McDermott contract extension

Estro

1 minute ago, SDS said:

So do the pessimists think that when you start a new job you don’t change? You don’t do things better year after year? You don’t evolve over time? You’re the same person on day one as day 10,001? Is that the way life works?

Yes. and?

1 minute ago, SDS said:

So do the pessimists think that when you start a new job you don’t change? You don’t do things better year after year? You don’t evolve over time? You’re the same person on day one as day 10,001? Is that the way life works?

I mean the way he used timeouts changed significantly last year he started using them defensively to get looks at how teams would line up against them in certain situations.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Basically it's all on Josh Allen development for that to happen. I'm ok with McDermott and Beane getting another shot finding a QB if Josh Allen isn't the guy.

THIS!

I'm expecting Josh to continue developing, but if he doesnt, you dont burn the entire thing down. You just get a new QB and keep the rest of the team stable.

Just like Ozzie Newsome and Billick not being fired for drafting Boller and given a chance to make it right.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I was going to go with Marv Lewis. Good defensive coach, but question marks on offense. Good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to win in the playoffs. 

Lewis also brought a once joke of a franchise to respectability. 

If McDermott is Marvin Lewis I will be very grateful.  It all comes down to QB. 

18 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I guess I'm a pessimist, but I'm not happy with this decision. 

I think he's a fairly average coach. The 2017 Bills were a very mediocre team that finished 9-7 and made the playoffs only through the grace of god. The 2019 Bills were a bit better, but finished 10-6 with an insanely easy schedule. 

The team is trending in the right direction, but if we don't take that next step I think we'll regret this decision. 

WTF ? Get back on your meds dude...

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I really don't like the conservative style of play that he uses in the playoffs. I think he is a very good coach at teaching techniques on the practice field. I think he is just average on game day trying to outsmart or make the right calls.

I'll give him a pass on both, frankly. 

He had the most conservative QB in the playoffs in 2017, and last year Josh lost his programming in the second half.

I mean, had our two guys not hit DeShaun at the exact same moment, things may have been different.....

6 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Sean Mcdermott with the remaining 2 years left on his original contract. 

If we're SB contenders this season you can give him the mega extension after the season is over 

There's always ONE in this fanbase.

Meh.

• Haha (+1) 1

This is a good move to keep continuity.  And for any pessimists - remember that if things go south, then they can get rid of him at ANY time.  The Pegulas will just have to eat the $ like Rex.  Its not like being tied into a long contract with a player that kills the salary cap if you cut ties early.

Just now, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I really don't like the conservative style of play that he uses in the playoffs. I think he is a very good coach at teaching techniques on the practice field. I think he is just average on game day trying to outsmart or make the right calls.

I think McD will open things up if he feels he can trust Josh more. Since 2017 when he got here he hasn't had a QB or an offense that has been the team's strength. The defense has always been the strong suit of the team and McD has smartly played to the team's strength to get 2 winning seasons  and 2 playoff appearances. He hasn't really had a QB or an offense that can play "aggressively." I hope that in 2020 with Josh getting another year under him, an O-line with better chemistry and Diggs adding more pop to the skill position set the offense comes together and makes more aggressive play a consistent part of the team's playing style. You should only go conservative when you are up 3 possessions when you have only 3-4 possessions left in the game. McD seemed to go conservative with a 2 score lead fairly early in the second half when the Texans had 6-7 possessions left.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Why are we rushing into an extension when he still had 2 years left on his first contract? 

His the best coach we've had since at least Wade, but all he's shown so far is that he can take average teams to a first round playoff exit. 

I would've waited at least 1 more year before extending. 

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yeesh?‍♂️ How many of these perennial playoff teams DIDN'T make the playoffs because they lost to the Bills?

C’mon, man. Step up your game. 

I would have liked to see a w vs pats this past year.   I hope they come this year.  He can coach a hell of a defense but Our offense has not been up to par and I hope with the weapons beane got him that offense better back up the defense 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Well it took 4 pages but there it is......So playoffs 2/3 years is not sufficient.  He is a good coach and you will have a hard time finding better.  He is well respected in the league.  The Bills are off the coach roulette wheel and that is great.

Who do you suggest is better for the Bills?

Just wait until Scott shows up.

• Haha (+1) 3