Why not a Free Agent RB2?

9 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Yep.  Some teams reject will do just fine (sic).  We need to get somebody who other teams are scared of.

Oh, please. That old "some team's reject" argument is just plain ridiculous. Here are just some of the Hall of Famers (or future ones) who have been at some point in their careers FAs before playing very well with another team: Reggie White, Drew Brees, Deion Sanders, Charles Woodson, Brett Favre when he still had some terrific football in him, Tom Brady ...

Not to mention Bryce Paup, London Fletcher and Takeo Spikes (yes, he was officially an RDA when Cincy didn't match) for the Bills. Sam Adams, Hyde and Poyer, James Lofton, and Big Ted Washington also come to mind.

Also, Priest Holmes, Simeon Rice, James Farrior,  Mike Vrabel, Mark Ingram, Tyrann Mathieu and Mitchell Schwartz for the champion Chiefs, Richard Sherman for the other Super Bowl team, Andrew Whitworth, Alex Mack, Calais Campbell, Allen Robinson II, Za"Darius Smith,  ... it goes on and on and on.

And we don't need to get somebody who other teams are scared of. It would be fine if we did but it is anything but a need. The guy other teams are scared of is Devin Singletary. We'd be just fine pulling a move like the Polian-Levy Bills did when they needed a 2nd RB behind Thurman and they brought in a "reject," (your word, not mine) from Green Bay who had averaged 4.0 yards per carry in his three years there which led to the Packers letting him go in free agency. Kenneth Davis did just fine here as "some team's reject."

16 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Oh, please. That old "some team's reject" argument is just plain ridiculous. Here are just some of the Hall of Famers (or future ones) who have been at some point in their careers FAs before playing very well with another team: Reggie White, Drew Brees, Deion Sanders, Charles Woodson, Brett Favre when he still had some terrific football in him, Tom Brady ...

Not to mention Bryce Paup, London Fletcher and Takeo Spikes (yes, he was officially an RDA when Cincy didn't match) for the Bills. Sam Adams, Hyde and Poyer, James Lofton, and Big Ted Washington also come to mind.

Also, Priest Holmes, Simeon Rice, James Farrior,  Mike Vrabel, Mark Ingram, Tyrann Mathieu and Mitchell Schwartz for the champion Chiefs, Richard Sherman for the other Super Bowl team, Andrew Whitworth, Alex Mack, Calais Campbell, Allen Robinson II, Za"Darius Smith,  ... it goes on and on and on.

And we don't need to get somebody who other teams are scared of. It would be fine if we did but it is anything but a need. The guy other teams are scared of is Devin Singletary. We'd be just fine pulling a move like the Polian-Levy Bills did when they needed a 2nd RB behind Thurman and they brought in a "reject," (your word, not mine) from Green Bay who had averaged 4.0 yards per carry in his three years there which led to the Packers letting him go in free agency. Kenneth Davis did just fine here as "some team's reject."

Wordy. Pick one RB that is currently a FA who you can see taking 150+ carries and averaging over 4 YPC? 

Singletary is small, he isn’t taking 200 plus carries nevermind 300. 

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He was pretty productive when given chances.  Saying he “couldn’t” break through last year isnt really fair when he had a future HOF who was role model and leader along side a productive rookie in front of him.

Singletary was 22nd in yards gained rushing and 44th in yards gained receiving.  We can not escape the fact that those numbers are low production.

6 hours ago, DJB said:

It's pretty obvious that we are heading into the draft hoping to take someone and the   fall back  is a FA.

We aren't starting  the season  with Singletary ,  Yeldon  and T Jones at running back . 

Well I disagree a bit with that.  I think the plan is to get the "touchdown maker" type player in the second round. The backup plan is to draft somebody to share the RB with Singletary i the 3rd round.  We have a shot at  Swift, Taylor, Dobbins and E-T at 54 or a move up.  We should be able to draft Akers at 54.  There are a lot of 3rd round decent backs if those things fail- enough of them that we could do a number of things, some of which might be surprising.   Trade down from 54, move up from 83(?), maybe ever swap this year's 3rd for a 2021 second? 

10 hours ago, FireChans said:

I know, I know. RB is a devalued position. But if we are looking in round 3-5 for another RB, we will mostly be looking for a serviceable back. Sometimes you find a star, but that’s not the norm. So why not try to acquire someone else in the RB room and not pigeonhole us into a need pick?

Freeman, Miller, Thompson, Hyde, Crowell have all had varying levels of success at the NFL level and somewhat recently. Many of them have been far better than TJ Yeldon, who couldn’t even supplant Frank Gore’s corpse last year. Not to mention some potential trade targets like Gio Bernard.

Do we really need to draft an RB2?

I am thinking 100% the opposite as you.

Maybe with a list of 5 FA guys at minimum left - several that will need a physical before we sign - we can wait - draft BPA and if we get a RB great and if not you still have options.

Maybe if they get a guy in RD 2 or 3 as BPA - it impacts which FA you want.  If you get a power guy like Dillion - maybe you don’t want Hyde or Crowell and Freeman becomes a choice.  Maybe you get a speed back or a late 6-7 rd back and therefore you want Hyde.  Maybe at each position of the Bills draft the BPA is not a RB and therefore they have to go to FA again.

Signing a guy now could actually limit who you draft or keep them from drafting anyone.  I think with the number of RBs available in FA still - we are not pigeon holed - it is the exact opposite- they are completely free to draft BPA and then see if a RB is in that group and then if needed pick up a complementary FA RB if needed.

• Like (+1) 1

I would love to add Carlos Hyde to the RB room.  I think he would be a great compliment to Singletary, and I’d like to see Motor average at least 20-25 touches per game.  

That said, if Swift, Taylor or Dobbins are there at 54 I think Beane would have to strongly consider them.  Regardless, I think they’ll draft a RB somewhere...doesn’t need to be with our 2nd rounder.

7 hours ago, Mango said:

not to beat a dead horse but his fumble rate is 1.2%. For reference Emmitt Smith fumble rate is 1.3%. Not that Yeldon is Emmitt, but he’s not fumbling all that much. He’s also never fumbled more than twice in a season. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YeldT.00.htm

Yeah I know, but to me it just seemed that they lost faith in him. I know it was only two fumbles but watching it on tv I was worried everytime he got the ball. Not sure why

12 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I would love to add Carlos Hyde to the RB room.  I think he would be a great compliment to Singletary, and I’d like to see Motor average at least 20-25 touches per game.  

That said, if Swift, Taylor or Dobbins are there at 54 I think Beane would have to strongly consider them.  Regardless, I think they’ll draft a RB somewhere...doesn’t need to be with our 2nd rounder.

I like Carlos Hyde as a backup plan if they don't get the RB they want in the draft. But how much will he cost? Latavius Murray got 4 years for 14M last off season to backup Kamara.

8 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

I like Carlos Hyde as a backup plan if they don't get the RB they want in the draft. But how much will he cost? Latavius Murray got 4 years for 14M last off season to backup Kamara.

Spotrak has his projected market value at around 3 million/year.  I’d take him on a 2 year deal.

• Like (+1) 1

We don't need to draft an RB.  But most Bills fans including myself would like to see it for the following reasons:

1.  You can get someone better than the old Hyde/Freeman/Miller dogs.

2.  You can have this good RB in his prime locked up under contract for at least 4 years - that adds continuity.  And is an advantage over the FAs.

3.  It helps Josh.  You get the continuity above, plus an RB that deters to Josh.

4.  The FO has shown through the D Singletary pick that they can identify good RBs (better than what they have shown with say WRs).

So while the FO does not need to draft an RB because there are FAs available, the hope is that they will.  They've left a clear spot open.  But since they don't need to, they can wait for value in the third or fourth round if they chose.

11 hours ago, MJS said:

That guy's name is Devin Singletary. We need a backup running back.

It's getting pretty ridiculous with what fans are expecting out of a backup player. No, we don't need to spend a high draft pick and no, we don't need to bring in a starting caliber running back. We need a change of pace back.

what pace are you trying to change? Singletary is very quick and has decent speed and is a good receiver. Are you looking for someone slower?  What is wrong with having another talented back that is similar?

Edited by nucci

5 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Singletary was 22nd in yards gained rushing and 44th in yards gained receiving.  We can not escape the fact that those numbers are low production.

Ugh, what?  How does that make sense?  You are using his totals (as a RB who split the load with Gore) versus his average production per touch where he was tied for first in yards per carry?

Sorry that was a silly argument IMHO.  He was highly productive with his touches, but as a rookie he shared the duties with a future HOF RB so his “totals” are not going to reflect his overall productivity fairly or accurately.  In fact, saying Devin had “low” production is about the worst assessment I’ve seen yet on any topic related to our running game.  

PS:  He also missed 4 games too...so again, his “totals” being used to show he had low production is pretty useless way to grade how productive he was.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, TigerJ said:

TJ Yeldin is something of a mystery.  He's got a decent skill set.  He's good sized and can catch the ball.  He's had years when he's had solid production, and he isn't that old.  Yet through most of last season he couldn't buy his way on to the field.  He had a few fumbles, I guess.  I don't remember.  But if McDermott is going to punish him for the fumbles, why is he still around?  Brandon Beane is saying nice things about him to boot.  It makes you wonder why he's still here.  The way he's regarded inside the coaches office will have a lot to do with the Bills' draft plans at running back, but apart from Beane's comments we really don't know.  I'm thinking the Bills will draft a RB on day 2, but a value free agent is certainly possible.  If the Bills really are done with Yeldin, they could do both.   There are some home run hitters in the draft, and some value battering rams in free agency.  

I think Yeldon is the ultimate wildcard. He's not a game breaker, but he's been serviceable in this league. He's got size, decent speed, above average receiving skills and low mileage. He's been kind of on everyone's doghouse it seems. He had a small stretch of fumbles last year, a few in the redzone iirc. But when you watch him in clips from last year, he's got a pretty nice burst. He should've got more reps later in the season, when Gore fell off imo. 

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Your argument is grossly flawed.  You are comparing players at positions who play way longer into their careers (including guys into their 40’s as you have multiple on your list) at high levels than RBs. 

Sorry but nothing you wrote actually makes a case for an aging retread Veteran RB.  Even one of the few RBs you named, Priest Holmes was in his prime and had been solid for a lesser Ravens team before breaking out for KC.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ugh, what?  How does that make sense?  You are using his totals (as a RB who split the load with Gore) versus his average production per touch where he was tied for first in yards per carry?

Sorry that was a silly argument IMHO.  He was highly productive with his touches, but as a rookie he shared the duties with a future HOF RB so his “totals” are not going to reflect his overall productivity fairly or accurately.  In fact, saying Devin had “low” production is about the worst assessment I’ve seen yet on any topic related to our running game.  

He also missed games with injury and was a rookie, so yeah of course his totals were not elite.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Your argument is grossly flawed.  You are comparing players at positions who play way longer into their careers (including guys into their 40’s as you have multiple on your list) at high levels than RBs.  And some of these are also utterly ridiculous like Farve who was a second round pick who never saw the field as a rookie and traded after his rookie season to GB where he essentially started his career to argue aging veteran RBs could do the same.  Lmao.  

Sorry but nothing you wrote actually makes a case for an aging retread Veteran RB.  Even one of the few RBs you named, Priest Holmes was in his prime and had been solid for a lesser Ravens team before breaking out for KC.  

Pretty sure he meant Favre in NY and Minnesota where he continued to play great football.  The fact you didn't get that is a bit perplexing.

Carlos Hyde would be a solid add of cheap. Ideally we’d go in to camp with 3 solid RBs. Someone always gets hurt throughout the year and it would be nice to not have to rely on a Taiwan Jones or TJ Yeldon to take snaps. 

Singletary

Hyde

Akers/Moss 

Would be a pretty solid group. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Iamkrgr said:

Carlos Hyde would be a solid add of cheap. Ideally we’d go in to camp with 3 solid RBs. Someone always gets hurt throughout the year and it would be nice to not have to rely on a Taiwan Jones or TJ Yeldon to take snaps. 

Singletary

Hyde

Akers/Moss 

Two tears ago we had an offense bereft of talent.  Fast forward to today and we have arguably the best WR trio in the League.  With Singletary, Hyde, and Akers we would have a upper tier RB room too.

Beane the Wizard

I mean - the remaining free agent options are in limbo.  Anyone with a health risk is in a holding pattern until they can get in front of team docs.  And the others are waiting for the draft to happen, then they're playing musical chairs to make sure they're on a roster for camp.  

I like Motor, and I like the idea of adding someone in rounds 2-3.  I also understand why they wouldn't go that route and just decide to try and bring along a vet.  Depends how the draft falls - if there's serious value at 54 then pull the trigger.  If it's not major value, then go for where you think there is value. 

14 minutes ago, Iamkrgr said:

Singletary

Hyde

Akers/Moss 

Jones i believe was brought in for Special teams, so he likely is active gamedays.  Usually they would only have 2 others active and a 4th on the 53.  So i doubt they'd draft someone and sign Hyde.  One of them's probably not active.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

what pace are you trying to change? Singletary is very quick and has decent speed and is a good receiver. Are you looking for someone slower?  What is wrong with having another talented back that is similar?

You mean this guy Singeltary?     https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/rb/2019

RECEIVING: Minimum 25 passes, 50 players ranked

• Passes includes all passes to this receiver, complete and incomplete.
  • Catch Rate is the percentage of passes completed to this receiver.
Player Team DYAR Rk YAR Rk DVOA Rk VOA Passes Yards EYds TD Catch
Rate
FUM
C.McCaffrey CAR 386 1 351 2 34.8% 4 30.4% 142 1,005 1,365 4 82% 0
A.Ekeler LAC 320 2 359 1 38.8% 3 45.1% 108 993 1,093 8 85% 2
M.Ingram BAL 145 3 153 4 74.6% 1 79.1% 29 247 418 5 90% 0
D.Cook MIN 144 4 138 5 29.2% 5 27.5% 63 519 535 0 84% 1
J.White NE 142 5 179 3 14.8% 14 22.4% 95 645 647 5 76% 0
Du.Johnson HOU 125 6 114 7 24.6% 9 21.5% 62 410 481 3 71% 0
M.Sanders PHI 121 7 134 6 20.0% 12 23.7% 63 509 504 3 79% 0
Da.Johnson ARI 114 8 111 8 29.2% 6 28.0% 47 370 426 4 77% 1
J.Williams GB 103 9 103 10 27.4% 8 27.5% 45 253 391 5 87% 0
E.Elliott DAL 99 10 87 12 12.6% 16 9.3% 71 420 474 2 76% 0
K.Juszczyk SF 98 11 108 9 47.6% 2 53.5% 24 239 317 1 83% 0
J.Mixon CIN 86 12 80 13 19.3% 13 17.2% 45 287 363 3 78% 0
A.Kamara NO 83 13 44 22 1.6% 23 -5.7% 97 533 558 1 84% 1
J.Conner PIT 75 14 93 11 21.2% 10 29.8% 38 251 308 3 89% 0
D.Washington OAK 74 15 76 15 21.1% 11 22.3% 41 292 303 0 88% 0
K.Hunt CLE 71 16 80 14 14.2% 15 18.1% 44 285 325 1 84% 0
B.Scott PHI 67 17 62 16 29.0% 7 25.9% 26 204 250 0 92% 1
C.Carson SEA 57 18 39 23 8.9% 18 1.6% 47 266 295 2 79% 1
D.Freeman ATL 51 19 55 18 -0.9% 25 0.1% 70 410 388 4 84% 1
R.Jones TB 47 20 58 17 9.2% 17 14.5% 40 309 242 0 78% 1
J.Richard OAK 39 21 54 19 2.7% 22 8.6% 43 323 252 0 84% 1
P.Laird MIA 39 22 51 21 8.6% 19 15.4% 30 204 205 0 77% 0
R.Burkhead NE 37 23 27 28 4.0% 21 -0.8% 38 279 227 0 71% 1
A.Jones GB 35 24 54 20 -5.1% 29 -0.5% 68 474 359 3 72% 1
C.Thompson WAS 34 25 20 31 -2.1% 26 -7.0% 58 378 280 0 72% 1
D.Ogunbowale TB 31 26 16 32 -2.9% 27 -8.3% 46 286 267 0 76% 1
J.Jacobs OAK 28 27 31 26 4.6% 20 6.6% 27 166 166 0 74% 0
Dam.Williams KC 24 28 34 24 -3.7% 28 0.7% 37 213 216 2 81% 0
K.Drake 2TM 23 29 -25 43 -7.9% 33 -20.1% 68 345 331 0 74% 0
T.Coleman SF 23 30 28 27 0.0% 24 2.7% 30 180 168 1 70% 0
M.Gordon LAC 19 31 15 34 -7.3% 32 -8.8% 55 296 246 1 76% 1
L.Murray NO 19 32 24 29 -5.6% 31 -3.4% 43 235 202 1 79% 0
J.Samuels PIT 17 33 23 30 -8.9% 35 -7.2% 57 305 288 1 82% 1
D.Montgomery CHI 15 34 8 36 -5.5% 30 -9.3% 35 185 164 1 71% 0
J.D.McKissic DET 12 35 -2 39 -8.2% 34 -14.6% 42 233 176 1 81% 0
R.Freeman DEN 10 36 15 33 -10.1% 36 -8.3% 50 256 208 1 86% 0
C.J.Ham MIN 6 37 2 37 -10.1% 37 -12.5% 26 149 134 1 65% 0
D.Lewis TEN 3 38 -8 40 -11.9% 38 -19.0% 32 164 115 1 78% 0
L.Bell NYJ 3 39 32 25 -13.2% 39 -6.5% 78 461 315 1 85% 1
T.Gurley LAR 0 40 -20 42 -13.8% 40 -21.0% 49 207 197 2 63% 0
N.Chubb CLE -4 41 10 35 -15.3% 41 -10.0% 49 278 174 0 73% 1
L.Fournette JAX -17 42 -28 45 -17.0% 42 -19.1% 101 524 349 0 76% 1
N.Hines IND -24 43 -1 38 -21.5% 44 -14.2% 58 320 174 0 76% 1
L.McCoy KC -34 44 -15 41 -32.2% 46 -22.0% 35 181 63 1 82% 1
T.Cohen CHI -36 45 -51 46 -20.1% 43 -22.7% 104 456 337 3 76% 1
S.Barkley NYG -37 46 -25 44 -22.8% 45 -19.9% 73 438 218 2 71% 1
T.Johnson DET -45 47 -60 50 -40.2% 50 -48.8% 31 109 29 0 77% 1
D.Singletary BUF -47 48 -53 47 -35.2% 47 -37.7% 41 194 61 2 71% 0
G.Bernard CIN -55 49 -58 49 -38.5% 48 -40.0% 43 234 46 0 70% 2
P.Lindsay DEN -69 50 -57 48 -39.7% 49 -35.0% 48 196 48 0 73% 0
Edited by maryland-bills-fan

4 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

You mean this guy Singeltary?     https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/rb/2019

RECEIVING: Minimum 25 passes, 50 players ranked

• Passes includes all passes to this receiver, complete and incomplete.
  • Catch Rate is the percentage of passes completed to this receiver.
Player Team DYAR Rk YAR Rk DVOA Rk VOA Passes Yards EYds TD Catch
Rate
FUM
C.McCaffrey CAR 386 1 351 2 34.8% 4 30.4% 142 1,005 1,365 4 82% 0
A.Ekeler LAC 320 2 359 1 38.8% 3 45.1% 108 993 1,093 8 85% 2
M.Ingram BAL 145 3 153 4 74.6% 1 79.1% 29 247 418 5 90% 0
D.Cook MIN 144 4 138 5 29.2% 5 27.5% 63 519 535 0 84% 1
J.White NE 142 5 179 3 14.8% 14 22.4% 95 645 647 5 76% 0
Du.Johnson HOU 125 6 114 7 24.6% 9 21.5% 62 410 481 3 71% 0
M.Sanders PHI 121 7 134 6 20.0% 12 23.7% 63 509 504 3 79% 0
Da.Johnson ARI 114 8 111 8 29.2% 6 28.0% 47 370 426 4 77% 1
J.Williams GB 103 9 103 10 27.4% 8 27.5% 45 253 391 5 87% 0
E.Elliott DAL 99 10 87 12 12.6% 16 9.3% 71 420 474 2 76% 0
K.Juszczyk SF 98 11 108 9 47.6% 2 53.5% 24 239 317 1 83% 0
J.Mixon CIN 86 12 80 13 19.3% 13 17.2% 45 287 363 3 78% 0
A.Kamara NO 83 13 44 22 1.6% 23 -5.7% 97 533 558 1 84% 1
J.Conner PIT 75 14 93 11 21.2% 10 29.8% 38 251 308 3 89% 0
D.Washington OAK 74 15 76 15 21.1% 11 22.3% 41 292 303 0 88% 0
K.Hunt CLE 71 16 80 14 14.2% 15 18.1% 44 285 325 1 84% 0
B.Scott PHI 67 17 62 16 29.0% 7 25.9% 26 204 250 0 92% 1
C.Carson SEA 57 18 39 23 8.9% 18 1.6% 47 266 295 2 79% 1
D.Freeman ATL 51 19 55 18 -0.9% 25 0.1% 70 410 388 4 84% 1
R.Jones TB 47 20 58 17 9.2% 17 14.5% 40 309 242 0 78% 1
J.Richard OAK 39 21 54 19 2.7% 22 8.6% 43 323 252 0 84% 1
P.Laird MIA 39 22 51 21 8.6% 19 15.4% 30 204 205 0 77% 0
R.Burkhead NE 37 23 27 28 4.0% 21 -0.8% 38 279 227 0 71% 1
A.Jones GB 35 24 54 20 -5.1% 29 -0.5% 68 474 359 3 72% 1
C.Thompson WAS 34 25 20 31 -2.1% 26 -7.0% 58 378 280 0 72% 1
D.Ogunbowale TB 31 26 16 32 -2.9% 27 -8.3% 46 286 267 0 76% 1
J.Jacobs OAK 28 27 31 26 4.6% 20 6.6% 27 166 166 0 74% 0
Dam.Williams KC 24 28 34 24 -3.7% 28 0.7% 37 213 216 2 81% 0
K.Drake 2TM 23 29 -25 43 -7.9% 33 -20.1% 68 345 331 0 74% 0
T.Coleman SF 23 30 28 27 0.0% 24 2.7% 30 180 168 1 70% 0
M.Gordon LAC 19 31 15 34 -7.3% 32 -8.8% 55 296 246 1 76% 1
L.Murray NO 19 32 24 29 -5.6% 31 -3.4% 43 235 202 1 79% 0
J.Samuels PIT 17 33 23 30 -8.9% 35 -7.2% 57 305 288 1 82% 1
D.Montgomery CHI 15 34 8 36 -5.5% 30 -9.3% 35 185 164 1 71% 0
J.D.McKissic DET 12 35 -2 39 -8.2% 34 -14.6% 42 233 176 1 81% 0
R.Freeman DEN 10 36 15 33 -10.1% 36 -8.3% 50 256 208 1 86% 0
C.J.Ham MIN 6 37 2 37 -10.1% 37 -12.5% 26 149 134 1 65% 0
D.Lewis TEN 3 38 -8 40 -11.9% 38 -19.0% 32 164 115 1 78% 0
L.Bell NYJ 3 39 32 25 -13.2% 39 -6.5% 78 461 315 1 85% 1
T.Gurley LAR 0 40 -20 42 -13.8% 40 -21.0% 49 207 197 2 63% 0
N.Chubb CLE -4 41 10 35 -15.3% 41 -10.0% 49 278 174 0 73% 1
L.Fournette JAX -17 42 -28 45 -17.0% 42 -19.1% 101 524 349 0 76% 1
N.Hines IND -24 43 -1 38 -21.5% 44 -14.2% 58 320 174 0 76% 1
L.McCoy KC -34 44 -15 41 -32.2% 46 -22.0% 35 181 63 1 82% 1
T.Cohen CHI -36 45 -51 46 -20.1% 43 -22.7% 104 456 337 3 76% 1
S.Barkley NYG -37 46 -25 44 -22.8% 45 -19.9% 73 438 218 2 71% 1
T.Johnson DET -45 47 -60 50 -40.2% 50 -48.8% 31 109 29 0 77% 1
D.Singletary BUF -47 48 -53 47 -35.2% 47 -37.7% 41 194 61 2 71% 0
G.Bernard CIN -55 49 -58 49 -38.5% 48 -40.0% 43 234 46 0 70% 2
P.Lindsay DEN -69 50 -57 48 -39.7% 49 -35.0% 48 196 48 0 73% 0

No idea what goes into generating a DYAR and DVOA for running backs in a passing attack - but allens scattershot accuracy on swing passes has to harm these numbers, no?  Seems to factor yards per target, as well as catch rate and TDs.  But look at the guys on the bottom and their QBs and it makes a bit of sense. 

Either way - Gore wasn't it, and Motor should have to earn 3rd down opportunities.  The screen game for Buffalo in general has also been bad.  

6 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I really disagree with this assessment because you are using total yards gained which makes no sense.

First - as a Rookie this regime has shown that it brings them along slowly to prevent them from hitting a huge rookie wall.  Most rookies they platoon time with and allow them more time later in the season as they have adjusted.

Second - He missed 4 games out of an abundance of caution - so why are we comparing apples and oranges.

Singletary was just fine on a per touch basis and that negates your low production claim.  Those numbers will increase as a 2nd year player and they give him more time and more touches.

If they do draft a RB again this year - I would expect similar to Singletary- they will use the rookie very sparingly- especially early in the year and he will not put up number much better than what Singletary did last year.  This is even more true if the rookie has trouble pass blocking - he will get used very sparingly after first down and people will complain about when and how he was used, but it is forced by design.  

The Bills built up Singletary’s touches and he had to prove he could pass block to get more third down plays and even then in big moments they preferred the veteran presence for protection.

There will be some decent vet options available after the draft. I think McBeane is savvy enough to see how the draft shakes out and then dip into the vet RB market once they know what exactly they have at RB post draft. Out of all the options available, I do like Hyde the most but I think drafting a bigger RB around round 4 is the team's best option. 

16 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I think it's the fumbles that held him back. I was always worried the few times he had the ball. He has talent, I think he was trying too hard and those couple of fumbles were held against him. 

1 fumble.

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I like Yeldon, and I think the staff does too.  They have been quite complimentary to him and what he did when given chances last year.  I think he could be a good compliment to Yeldon in the same way any of those other FA's you listed would be as I expect Devin to still get the lion shares of the carries.  Im not sure any of those guys listed have much more to offer than Yeldon does who already knows our offense.  

So I think pepper in some fresh legs in the draft (some good ones will be there in rounds 2-5 this year IMO) and let Devin take the lead role fully with Yeldon backing him up until the rookie proves he can take over the backup duties full time (pass pro will be the key factor on that).  

That being said, I wouldn't hate a signing of any of those guys above either.  Just like the idea of getting some fresh legs next to Devin as well to form a formidable one-two punch for years to come.  And I think this is a good draft to do it as we dont have a lot of holes and the RB depth is nice this year in the mid rounds.

Why does Devin Singletary automatically get the starting job?

This regime preaches competition at every turn, they can't just hand the starting job to Singletary because he's all that they have.

As for Yeldon, he couldn't even get on the field last year...going into the season with him as RB2 would be a mistake.

If Johnathan Taylor is there at #54, they have to pull the trigger, he has the speed, skill and size of an elite RB in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Pretty sure he meant Favre in NY and Minnesota where he continued to play great football.  The fact you didn't get that is a bit perplexing.

I was being sarcastic lol

Rereading it i see it kind of falls flat despite me LMAO after so edited it out lol

Edited by Alphadawg7

55 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

Why does Devin Singletary automatically get the starting job?

This regime preaches competition at every turn, they can't just hand the starting job to Singletary because he's all that they have.

As for Yeldon, he couldn't even get on the field last year...going into the season with him as RB2 would be a mistake.

If Johnathan Taylor is there at #54, they have to pull the trigger, he has the speed, skill and size of an elite RB in the NFL.

1.  Devin has earned the starting job.  Thats not even debatable.

2.  They are not looking for a replacement at all for Devin, they are looking for a compliment to him.

3.  Yeldon was behind a highly effective rookie and a future HOF RB who was also there to mentor Devin and be a steward in the locker room.

4.  I never said not to bring in a RB, I said in every thread I am in to draft a RB.  

5.  I have said we don't need another retread RB, roll with Devin and Yeldon as his backup until said rookie is ready to take the backup job away from Yeldon.

17 hours ago, Billiever72 said:

I would like to review the past a bit. When we had Thurman Thomas we signed Kenneth Davis as a free agent and it worked great because when Thurman was banged up Kenneth was there and not much production was lost from that position because they were somewhat similar in skillset. Who can carry the load with not much drop off if Singletary gets hurt? Free agent I believe more in Carlos Hyde. Miller and Freeman can't seem to stay healthy. In the draft it is either JK Dobbins or Cam Akers in my opinion.

not much production lost ?  - yeah not so

Kenneth Davis could not catch a cold

I agree with the premise.

Do the Bills need another RB on the team, I'd say no, they don't need it.  It would be nice to have another RB that's an upgrade over Jones and Yeldon, but definitely not a necessity.

If I were the Bills FO, I'd price out a few of the RBs still on the market and see who might be available in Rounds 4, 5, 6, and 7 and decide where the best bang for the buck is.  Two things I would absolutely not do is draft an RB in Round 2 or 3 or sign a big deal with a FA.