Pick one of the FA RBs (Edited to remove Gordon & Gurley)

If the Bills HAD to add one which would you pick?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Which FA RB for the Bills

• Devonta Freeman
    • Carlos Hyde
    • Lamar Miller

There are a lot of options on the market for RB still. Personally, I’d prefer to add one in the draft but that’s not the point here. If you HAD to add one of these guys to the Bills who would it be?

You must factor in cost, fit, injury history, skill set, etc... It is NOT as simple as “which one of these guys is best?” The question is, “which one of these guys would you like the Bills to add?”

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Gurley and no medical= no

Gordon gets the nod here and can catch and run.

Will Beane pull the trigger? probably not as someone will over pay.

Lots of options in the draft and the Bills don't need all 7 picks so Beane can move for the guy he really wants.

I'm more about value and production.  Freeman & Gurley show what happens when sign a big contract and get injured.  Gordon didn't show squaduskie after he sat out and was playing for a contract and Fubarred and can't even get back what the Chargers offered him prior to holdout.  Hyde (my vote) has flipped a few teams and was very productive last year for Texans and will come much more economically.

Lamar ... no votes and I agree at time of this typing.

Melvin Gordon and Todd Gurley would want to be paid and be a #1, and I don't see that with having motor! Freeman wouldn't be a bad choice, but I want a bigger back. Lamar Miller is meh having not played last year, so my choice would be Hyde. I think a 2 year deal would be ideal. I also think drafting a kid in the 5th or later would be a good idea.....

Edited by snamsnoops

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Good.  The other teams will be dumbfounded when Daboll runs him into the pile on 1st and 2nd downs...

I know, I know:  “Joanie, to your room!”  ?

Come on man! ;) 

That's all Gore could do ;) 

Did you ever see Gore take one outside the tackles?

The rookie found a way to do it. :) 

• Haha (+1) 1

I like Gordon out of the bunch, buy I went with the more realistic option imo of Carlos Hyde. He still doesn't have that much mileage and is coming off of his best season in Houston. I think he would do the same or better behind our OL. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Can I have Breida instead? ?

I think he is under contract ;)

He is an UFA in 2021 but I bet the 9ers lock him up soon.

Edited by JMF2006
contract

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He got a 2nd round tender; we could still poach him...

If Beane is going to use a 2nd on an RB he probably wants the reasonable contract that comes with drafting one.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

If Beane is going to use a 2nd on an RB he probably wants the reasonable contract that comes with drafting one.

Yes I’m sure, and I agree. But I stumped for offer sheeting Breida for months, so now I have to follow through ? 

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Yes I’m sure, and I agree. But I stumped for offer sheeting Breida for months, so now I have to follow through ? 

Not happening now with the first rounder gone.

24 minutes ago, H2o said:

I like Gordon out of the bunch, buy I went with the more realistic option imo of Carlos Hyde. He still doesn't have that much mileage and is coming off of his best season in Houston. I think he would do the same or better behind our OL. 

I don't understand why Gordon is unrealistic. The Bills have one of the best cap situations in the league and a need for that type of player at RB. Sometimes it feels like the mentality is that the Bills have less money than everyone else.

We could spend up to13 million and still be at the league average for cap space. Let's sign a guy!

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli

13 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I don't understand why Gordon is unrealistic. The Bills have one of the best cap situations in the league and a need for that type of player at RB. Sometimes it feels like the mentality is that the Bills have less money than everyone else.

We could spend up to13 million and still be at the league average for cap space. Let's sign a guy!

The Bills have limited cap space remaining for 2020. They can sign someone like Gordon but the cap space has dried up for the most part.

With Gurley now off the board I would lean towards Hyde. He’s the right combination of cost and effectiveness. He’s coming off a nice year.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't know what CBs are left in FA, but I think I would rather they sign a reinforcement there and look to the draft for a RB in 2nd or maybe 3rd.  If the FA RBs are better than the CBs, then I guess I could understand signing a FA RB.  

Improving the receiving weapons, as they've done with the Diggs trade, should help open up running room for whomever is carrying the ball. 

If they think they can significantly upgrade the OL, I think that would help the run game as well,. 

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills have limited cap space remaining for 2020. They can sign someone like Gordon but the cap space has dried up for the most part.

With Gurley now off the board I would lean towards Hyde. He’s the right combination of cost and effectiveness. He’s coming off a nice year.

That does seem more probable and we haven't heard his name mentioned ;)

Except on the board  ;)

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The question is, do you pay starter money to a rotational RB or split that outlay by signing a lower-priced RB AND adding another quality CB, OL, or WR?   

Gordon would be a good option if you wanted to give him 16-18 carries and 3-4 passes a game (i.e., a bell cow).   But he's going to get half of that here, splitting time with Singletary. 

If we put some of that salary toward a Kevin Johnson-type quality depth CB or a Daryl Williams-type ROT, you kill two birds with one stone, IMO...

• Like (+1) 1

I chose Hyde. He would be the most value choice while still being fairly effective. And I don't think signing him would prevent drafting another RB if someone they really like slips down on draft day. 

Imagine Singletary/Akers/Hyde ?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The question is, do you pay starter money to a rotational RB or split that outlay by signing a lower-priced RB AND adding another quality CB, OL, or WR?   

Gordon would be a good option if you wanted to give him 16-18 carries and 3-4 passes a game (i.e., a bell cow).   But he's going to get half of that here, splitting time with Singletary. 

If we put some of that salary toward a Kevin Johnson-type quality depth CB or a Daryl Williams-type ROT, you kill two birds with one stone, IMO...

Johnson signed with Cleveland yesterday I think its 3.5m for 1 year

10 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Johnson signed with Cleveland yesterday I think its 3.5m for 1 year

I know.  I said Kevin Johnson-type.   

That $3.5 million he got could have kept him here and left $3.5 million for a RB, rather than giving Gordon the whole $7 million he'll probably get somewhere (maybe even here)...    

• Like (+1) 1

Freeman on a cheaper 1yr prove-it deal.

Gordon is the best player on the list but will be the most expensive and I aint trying to spend that on a RB.

edit: I would be just as happy with Hyde too. My point is to not overspend at RB, which is what we'd be doing with Gordon.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

I do like Miller. Always have. But I do think he is coming off a ACL or something. 

Gordon is the best player on the list, but in terms of being a complimentary piece, Hyde makes the most sense. 

Some more under the radar ideas:

Deandre Washington of the Raiders was a good piece for them when Jacobs was injured last year. He has some breakaway speed and has some pass catching ability out of the backfield. Should come quite cheap. 

Our old friend Jonathan Williams could make sense. He flashed with the Colts last year. He has some size and speed. I do think he was originally cut in 2017 because he was a bad fit in the Rick Dennison system. I do think he’d fit better now. 

Matt Breida got a second round tender, but if a team wanted to pursue him, they could try to negotiate different compensation with the Niners. Maybe a 4th?

Finally Kenyan Drake got the old Charles Clay Transition tag. With the Cardinals in a place where they need to get Deandre Hopkins a new contract, still need to make additions to their offensive line, and have about half our cap space, Beane could design a heavily front loaded contract that the Cards might struggle to match. Though if you pursue Drake, he becomes your starter and Singletary is the complimentary back. To me, he is the best player available at the position outside of Derrick Henry (who isn’t really available)

I still don’t get why people want a veteran rb so bad.  It is the easiest position to transition from college to the nfl.  There are guys in the draft with less miles, more explosive, and much cheaper to get.  

and for the record, I would have paid Gurley for a year.  He is special, though his knees aren’t.  The rest of the choices are meh.

I pick Freeman...

1) He's almost always shared carries - with Tevin Coleman a lot in ATL

2) He's known as an example type leader and worker

3) He had 59 catches last year and over 1000 All Purpose Yards -- got back to being productive after 2 years of major injuries.

Negatives are ball security -- he tends to fumble once every 90 carries or so -- but they seem to come at the worst time...and his ypc declined greatly last year..

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/devonta-freeman-ready-to-leave-dark-times-behind-show-off-stronger-version-of-hi

Out of these options, Hyde. Will be 30 for this season; he’s a vet who just had 1,000 yards at 4.4 YPC. 

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I still don’t get why people want a veteran rb so bad.  It is the easiest position to transition from college to the nfl.  There are guys in the draft with less miles, more explosive, and much cheaper to get.  

and for the record, I would have paid Gurley for a year.  He is special, though his knees aren’t.  The rest of the choices are meh.

I’d like a vet and a draft pick in rounds 4-6. Experience matters especially with situational football. 

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

I chose Hyde. 

I think he will cost has as much as Gordon, hes a bigger back that is a banger which we could use. 

Adding Hyde probably wouldn't preclude us from drafting one which I really want us to do

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I'm definitely not banging the table for a free agent RB. But to answer your question, I think it's mainly two things (at least from my perspective):

1. We know McBeane generally prefers having a veteran in the room/prefers filling in needs in free agency, so I think it's just assumed we'll pick one up.
  2. Transitioning from college to the NFL isn't easy as far as being a 3rd down back goes. That, to me, is what we should be trying to fix in free agency.

Gordon would help in that regard. So would someone like Dion Lewis, Chris Thompson, Buck Allen, Devontae Booker, Bilal Powell etc.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I'm definitely not banging the table for a free agent RB. But to answer your question, I think it's mainly two things (at least from my perspective):

1. We know McBeane generally prefers having a veteran in the room/prefers filling in needs in free agency, so I think it's just assumed we'll pick one up.
  2. Transitioning from college to the NFL isn't easy as far as being a 3rd down back goes. That, to me, is what we should be trying to fix in free agency.

Gordon would help in that regard. So would someone like Dion Lewis, Chris Thompson, Buck Allen, Devontae Booker, Bilal Powell etc.

Good point about the 3rd down role.  Imo, you get dion Lewis and then draft a physical rb in the draft. 

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good point about the 3rd down role.  Imo, you get dion Lewis and then draft a physical rb in the draft. 

Yeah, if the money is anything crazy, I would prefer to just go with the cheaper option of a guy like Dion (though I think he in particular will have multiple suitors that might make more sense). If it's a moderate 1-2 year deal though, I'd be pretty tempted by a guy like Gordon just because he can be the 3rd down guy while also being a productive runner in his own right. Really all depends on the price IMO.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Matt Breida got a second round tender, but if a team wanted to pursue him, they could try to negotiate different compensation with the Niners. Maybe a 4th?

This or just go with a draft pick.