RBs Jordan Howard, Lamar Miller reportedly FA targets for Bills (update - Howard to Miami)

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

Howard ran a 4.59 at his pro day. So not an upgrade in terms of speed over Singletary . 

If this happens leads me to believe  we will target more of a speed guy at the draft  

Why? 

If anything, if Howard is signed I'd look for someone who's effective in a 3rd down role, particularly catching passes out of the backfield. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm pretty lukewarm on Howard, but would be okay with it. Signing him should not change their plans to draft a RB at all though. They still need playmakers. Howard is fine as a veteran and move the chains guy.

Also, having him would give us reasonable depth going into the draft so it doesn't feel like a pressing need and keeps options open, which is always good. 

52 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

no fumbles last year. 4.4 per carry, 25 years old. he can catch the ball well too. great backup to devin imo. doubt he costs much either.

He is actually brutal catching the ball. Stone hands.

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Paired well with Tarik in Chi. Sensational rookie year. 

Was puzzled the Bears ditched him for a sixth. 

but he certainly could be due for a bounce back season. 

He apparently didn’t fit the new offense In Chicago . But their running game missed him when he left. 

2 minutes ago, LEBills said:

1 fumble while rec which was rookie year.  10 catches on 14 targets last year. 20 of 27 year before. 23 0f 32 year before. the stats would say you are wrong. his best year was with....matt barkley lol

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, dje85 said:

We got multiple thousand yard seasons from him. They got an injured linebacker they eventually cut. How did it work out for them but not us? 

We got no playoffs they won a Superbowl. They obviously didn't need him and neither did the Bills since ewe did nothing with him on the team. Was a bad move.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

1 fumble while rec which was rookie year.  10 catches on 14 targets last year. 20 of 27 year before. 23 0f 32 year before. the stats would say you are wrong. his best year was with....matt barkley lol

Those are little dump offs though. Howard has never been the guy out running routes. 

8 minutes ago, LEBills said:

here's the issue with our offense. because allen is mobile teams tend to play a defense where screen passes are very difficult. brady had something like 175 targets to rbs last year and we had 75. it's not gonna be a huge part of our offense unless allen stops running. 

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Not thrilled with this.

The people here in Philthadelphia aren't all that keen on him.

Yes.

I'm in that area, and he was good until he hurt his shoulder, but then missed way more time than expected.

I'm ok with him at a modest price, but not alot of guarantees or years

5 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

We got no playoffs they won a Superbowl. They obviously didn't need him and neither did the Bills since ewe did nothing with him on the team. Was a bad move

Wait... What? are you making the case that the trade for Shady was a bad deal?

Also, Im pretty sure he helped break a 17 year playoff drought. Color me confused. ?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

He has that few catches because his teams know not to trust him. He's pretty much purely a 1st and 2nd down player that you put on the field if you want to tell the defense you're running the ball.

7 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

We got no playoffs they won a Superbowl. They obviously didn't need him and neither did the Bills since ewe did nothing with him on the team. Was a bad move.

This is a hilariously bad take. Shady was not the problem with those teams. Running back was a strong suit and our team was upgraded because of that deal. Trades can be good even if a team is bad. 

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

He has that few catches because his teams know not to trust him. He's pretty much purely a 1st and 2nd down player that you put on the field if you want to tell the defense you're running the ball.

he never fumbles. has nice ypc, catches at a nice catch percentage. so why don't teams trust him?  devin fumbles all the time. this guy never does

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Nothing really special about him.... IMO they need a dynamic back next to Singletary.

i'm saying they could certainly do worse. should they look for a stud in the draft...absolutely. but i'd say devin and jordan would be an upgrade over last year. 

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Probably right.

Howard doesn’t do much to make this offense a whole lot better. Marginal back. They need a dynamic guy back there who’s a threat to take it to the house. 

Are you saying Singletary isn’t dynamic?  Who is this take it to the house player/prospect you have in mind? Inquiring minds... 

Go Bills!!!

18 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

This logic is so flawed I don't know what to say as a rebuttal. Congrats on your great troll job! I am stumped. Just know I disagree with this premise heavily.  

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Yea. Wouldn’t mind the signing for depth reasons.... he’s a solid 3rd option. 

he was very healthy up until last season. missed on game prior to last season 6 games. he was pacing roughly 840 yards rushing.  that would be phenomenal for a backup. as long as his shoulder is ok. 

20 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Wow.  I’m speechless at this post.  Imagine that, me speechless. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I'm hoping we draft a rb in round 2-3. Wouldn't be mad with Jordan as #2, but someone like Akers would be an upgrade imo. And on a rookie contract. This would push Jordan to #3. Ideal for me.

I'd rather see pass rusher in Round 1, then WR round #2 and then O-line.  Basically not enough picks to get a RB too.  Think it's easier and cheaper to get a guy like Howard who could be a valuable asset to the team rather than trying to find a FA WR or lineman without spending much more.  I'd also sign a FA WR too, but not one of the high price names so not depending a on a rookie WR to be a major contributor at least at the beginning of the season. 

Think Beane can get some more of the short term deals with FA that fill lower level holes and use the draft for the major ones and I don't think a #2 or #3 RB is a major need.

21 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

he never fumbles. has nice ypc, catches at a nice catch percentage. so why don't teams trust him?  devin fumbles all the time. this guy never does

There's roughly 60 RBs that play 25% or more of their team's snaps each year. Of those:

2019:

• Howard: 48th in catch %, 50th in yards per target
  • Teammate: 29th in catch %, 9th in yards per target
  • Singletary: 51st in catch %, 53rd in yards per target

2018: 

• Howard: 47th in catch %, 41st in yards per target
  • Teammate: 28th in catch %, 7th in yards per target

2017:

• Howard: 44th in catch %, 56th in yards per target
  • Teammate: 26th in catch %, 42nd in yards per target
Edited by DCOrange

38 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

What did Kiko Alonso do for the Eagles super bowl run?

Probably eat some wings from home with his fellow Dolphin teammates.  

30 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

i'm saying they could certainly do worse. should they look for a stud in the draft...absolutely. but i'd say devin and jordan would be an upgrade over last year. 

Of course it would be an upgrade.  There aren’t many backs in the league worse than Gore at this point.  That doesn’t mean it would be a good signing.  Sounds like the Anthony Thomas signing to me.  BLEH!

give me a speed back

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

The offense is just void of playmakers. They need as many as they can get. Howard isn’t one. 

Depends on what you want from your playmakers. 
Howard gets first downs. He’s not hitting a homerun but he’s giving you 2nd and 4 and converting 3rd and 2’s. 
that’s playmaker enough for me. 
I would of course want exciting take it to the house kind of guys but there’s only so many out there. 

High draft pick. I’d be all for Dobbins in the 2nd assuming he lasts and they address WR correctly via FA/1st round. 

The offense is just void of playmakers. They need as many as they can get. Howard isn’t one. 

Have heard good things about Dobbins, and yes the offense is truly in need of playmakers at multiple positions, we need at least two additional starter level receivers just to get started... 

47 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I live in Philly and got to watch him try to hold onto throws. He sucks at pass catching. Pretty good at other things. Not pass catching. If you wanna base your opinion off those stats (which really aren’t that great) that’s your prerogative.

Jordan Howard would be a great addition.

Won’t cost much, won’t prevent them from drafting a youngster. Good stylistic complement to Motor Singletary. Vet leadership. Has shown he can rush for over 1,000 yards a season. Just 26 years old.

Sign me up.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

In FA? Prob not unless you want to pay a premium.... I guess my point is don't settle on Howard, bring in a potential home run threat back via the draft.

I wouldn’t expect them to settle for only one free agent. I’m sure they’ll inject some youth to the group too. They know they’re lacking the speed threat back there. 

5 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Depends on what you want from your playmakers. 
Howard gets first downs. He’s not hitting a homerun but he’s giving you 2nd and 4 and converting 3rd and 2’s. 
that’s playmaker enough for me. 
I would of course want exciting take it to the house kind of guys but there’s only so many out there. 

We talk about improving our offense and wanting to become explosive.....then we shouldn’t be talking about Jordan Howard imo.  We have guys that can do what howard does.  Our lead back can do what he does