Barnwell chooses Brandon Beane as NFL Executive of the Year; Eric Ting (49ers) objects

class_of_2012

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28370100/barnwell-2019-nfl-awards-ballot-picks-mvp-best-rookies-more

r630757_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=570&format=j

Executive of the Year:

1. Brandon Beane (Bills)

2. Eric DeCost (Ravens)

3. John Lynch (49ers)

Coach of the Year:

1. John Harbaugh (Ravens)

2. Sean Payton (Saints)

3. Bill Belichick (Patriots)

Defensive Rookie of the Year:

1. Nick Bosa (DE, 49ers)

2. Josh Allen (DE, Jaguars)

3. Devin Bush (ILB, Steelers)

Offensive Rookie of the Year:

1. A.J. Brown (WR, Titans)

2. Kyler Murray (QB, Cardinals)

3. Josh Jacobs (RB, Raiders)

Defensive Player of the Year:

1. Stephon Gillmore (CB, Patriots)

2. Aaron Donald (DT, Rams)

3. Minkah Fitzpatrick (S, Steelers)

Offensive Player of the Year:

1. Michael Thomas (WR, Saints)

2. Christian McCaffrey (RB, Panthers)

3. George Kittle (TE, 49ers)

MVP:

1. Lamar Jackson (QB, Ravens)

2. Russell Wilson (QB, Seahawks)

3. Patrick Mahomes (QB, Chiefs)

But San Francisco 49ers reporter Eric Ting objected strongly, writing this:

https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/season-award-list-snubs-Kyle-Shanahan-Nick-Bosa-14934551.php

[short excerpt]

"Barnwell limits this category to moves made in 2019, and John Lynch had an incredible 2019 as far as player acquisition goes. Nick Bosa, Deebo Samuel, Dee Ford, Emmanuel Sanders, Kwon Alexander and Tevin Coleman were not in Santa Clara in 2018, and all played significant roles in the team's remarkable turnaround.

According to Barnwell however, Lynch had just the third-best offseason in the NFL. Ahead of Lynch was Eric DeCosta of the Baltimore Ravens, who installed Greg Roman as offensive coordinator, and brought in Mark Ingram, Earl Thomas, Marquise Brown and Marcus Peters. Fair enough, but Ravens fans and 49ers fans would both be annoyed to learn that Barnwell gave the top spot in this category to Brandon Beane of the Buffalo Bills.

Barnwell gushes over the Bills' 2019 draft class that includes of Ed Oliver, Cody Ford (whom Barnwell concedes has "struggled a bit" this season), Devin Singletary, and Dawson Knox. Barnwell also cites the low-cost signings of Cole Beasley and and John Brown at receiver, as well as other under-the-radar moves at offensive line.

Beane had a nice offseason to propel Buffalo back into the playoffs, but it's hard to say the work he did in 2019 was more impressive than the heavy lifting undertaken by Lynch and DeCosta, especially as a large portion of the Bills' core (Josh Allen, Tre'Davious White, Tremaine Edmunds, etc.) was already in place prior to 2019."

Edited by class_of_2012
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No single person can fix problems alone.  With the wrong coach in Buffalo, Beane's moves wouldn't look so good.  If a couple of the FAs Beane brought in had simply been injured, which can happen to anyone, he wouldn't look so good.  We're fortunate for the success the team has had and the foundation for the future that's been laid.  That's all you can ask for, and Beane has delivered.

I get the argument from SF, which was a truly bad team only a couple of seasons ago.  They were fortunate and smart enough to get Jimmy G from the Patriots, which is probably something Belichick would never have done with Buffalo.  They got Brady-level lucky with their drafting of Kittle, who is amazing.  The thing is, let's see how Buffalo and SF fare going into the future.  The Bills will lose some veteran leadership in the offseason and will rely on other players to step forward.  I think the people to do that are in place so I'm very optimistic.

33 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

How is Chandler Jones not in the conversation for DPOY?

And not having McDermott at least at #3 is head scratching, or am I just a homer?

I would say homer on this one. I know some have given him Coach of the Year buzz lately, but would you really rather have him as your coach than the other 3? What about the job Vrabel has done? Personally, I think these awards should be done after the Super Bowl. If McClappy puts a SB run together then you would hear no argument from me for that award.

13 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

I would say homer on this one. I know some have given him Coach of the Year buzz lately, but would you really rather have him as your coach than the other 3? What about the job Vrabel has done? Personally, I think these awards should be done after the Super Bowl. If McClappy puts a SB run together then you would hear no argument from me for that award.

How many superbowls has Vrabel won as a coach?

In terms of moves this offseason, rebuilt the OL and added our top 2 WR'S and TES this offseason. 

I'de have to add the Packers GM. I don't know who it is without looking but he added Preston Smith and ZaDarius Smith in one offseason.

I'de love to see a coordinator win coach of the year one of these years. I mean they are coaches. Greg Roman is by far the coach of the year IMO.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

No single person can fix problems alone.  With the wrong coach in Buffalo, Beane's moves wouldn't look so good.  If a couple of the FAs Beane brought in had simply been injured, which can happen to anyone, he wouldn't look so good.  We're fortunate for the success the team has had and the foundation for the future that's been laid.  That's all you can ask for, and Beane has delivered.

I get the argument from SF, which was a truly bad team only a couple of seasons ago.  They were fortunate and smart enough to get Jimmy G from the Patriots, which is probably something Belichick would never have done with Buffalo.  They got Brady-level lucky with their drafting of Kittle, who is amazing.  The thing is, let's see how Buffalo and SF fare going into the future.  The Bills will lose some veteran leadership in the offseason and will rely on other players to step forward.  I think the people to do that are in place so I'm very optimistic.

Your posts never disappoint.  Rumors have it that Marrone will be available soon.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

And not having McDermott at least at #3 is head scratching, or am I just a homer?

Chandler Jones gets forgotten being in Arizona.  I'd love to see him on the Bills.  

9 hours ago, class_of_2012 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28370100/barnwell-2019-nfl-awards-ballot-picks-mvp-best-rookies-more

r630757_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=570&format=j

Executive of the Year:

1. Brandon Beane (Bills)

2. Eric DeCost (Ravens)

3. John Lynch (49ers)

Coach of the Year:

1. John Harbaugh (Ravens)

2. Sean Payton (Saints)

3. Bill Belichick (Patriots)

Defensive Rookie of the Year:

1. Nick Bosa (DE, 49ers)

2. Josh Allen (DE, Jaguars)

3. Devin Bush (ILB, Steelers)

Offensive Rookie of the Year:

1. A.J. Brown (WR, Titans)

2. Kyler Murray (QB, Cardinals)

3. Josh Jacobs (RB, Raiders)

Defensive Player of the Year:

1. Stephon Gillmore (CB, Patriots)

2. Aaron Donald (DT, Rams)

3. Minkah Fitzpatrick (S, Steelers)

Offensive Player of the Year:

1. Michael Thomas (WR, Saints)

2. Christian McCaffrey (RB, Panthers)

3. George Kittle (TE, 49ers)

MVP:

1. Lamar Jackson (QB, Ravens)

2. Russell Wilson (QB, Seahawks)

3. Patrick Mahomes (QB, Chiefs)

But San Francisco 49ers reporter Eric Ting objected strongly, writing this:

https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/season-award-list-snubs-Kyle-Shanahan-Nick-Bosa-14934551.php

[short excerpt]

"Barnwell limits this category to moves made in 2019, and John Lynch had an incredible 2019 as far as player acquisition goes. Nick Bosa, Deebo Samuel, Dee Ford, Emmanuel Sanders, Kwon Alexander and Tevin Coleman were not in Santa Clara in 2018, and all played significant roles in the team's remarkable turnaround.

According to Barnwell however, Lynch had just the third-best offseason in the NFL. Ahead of Lynch was Eric DeCosta of the Baltimore Ravens, who installed Greg Roman as offensive coordinator, and brought in Mark Ingram, Earl Thomas, Marquise Brown and Marcus Peters. Fair enough, but Ravens fans and 49ers fans would both be annoyed to learn that Barnwell gave the top spot in this category to Brandon Beane of the Buffalo Bills.

Barnwell gushes over the Bills' 2019 draft class that includes of Ed Oliver, Cody Ford (whom Barnwell concedes has "struggled a bit" this season), Devin Singletary, and Dawson Knox. Barnwell also cites the low-cost signings of Cole Beasley and and John Brown at receiver, as well as other under-the-radar moves at offensive line.

Beane had a nice offseason to propel Buffalo back into the playoffs, but it's hard to say the work he did in 2019 was more impressive than the heavy lifting undertaken by Lynch and DeCosta, especially as a large portion of the Bills' core (Josh Allen, Tre'Davious White, Tremaine Edmunds, etc.) was already in place prior to 2019."

eat those sour grapes Ting.

7 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Haven't seen Chandler play in awhile, honestly didn't know if he was still in the league. Did he really play this good this year?

6 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

are you serious?? McDermott is more than some game manager on the sidelines. He transformed the entire culture and structure of this organization and even influenced how the Pegulas handle the Sabres. Belly is the goat but also a cheat and no one likes playing there, once the winning goes down they will have a hard time getting and keeping players, when they collapse its going to be colossal.

McDermott is the best coach for this team and is going to keep us contenders for a long time.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I have to give him credit for the final sentence about the large portion of the Bills' core (Josh Allen, Tre'Davious White, Tremaine Edmunds, etc.) being already in place prior to 2019.

If you are only considering 2019 additions, tough to give it to Beane over the guys for the 49ers or Ravens. The defense is largely the same. The offense is new, but underperforming. I mean, if we had a top 10 offense that would be a strong case, but we don't.

Still, happy with Beane and McDemott and they've been doing a great job building this team into a winner.

8 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

what moves have been bad?

Also GM has an accuracy of 100%?

Trading for Kelvin Benjamin was a mistake in hindsight. Star, although a contributor, probably got too large of a contract for what he does.

But you are correct. No GM is ever 100% accurate.

Edited by MJS

Barnwell wrote a nice column.

I agree with Ting; Lynch should win EOTY. His overhaul was better. However, the very reason that he marginalized Beane's offseason also applies to Ting. Garoppolo, Kittle, the entire OL, 4 first round DLmen without Bosa, the entire secondary--already there.

Also, a few other thoughts:

How can anyone other than McCaffrey win OPOY? Top 3 in rushing yards and 2nd in receptions? That's absolutely insane.

Sean Payton should win COTY. They're going to have a first round bye despite missing their HOF QB for a third of the season.

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

eat those sour grapes Ting.

Haven't seen Chandler play in awhile, honestly didn't know if he was still in the league. Did he really play this good this year?

He's got 19 sacks. I think there's a good chance they jump on the opportunity to trade him this offseason...

9 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Beane is a witch.  I’ve been saying it for awhile.

he will be brewing up a special batch of eye of newt and wolfsbaine stew in the off season.

"Good, hmmm? That's my batwing broth! There's eye of newt in there, tree mold, old lizard brains; scales from a rancid sea serpent!"

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Barnwell wrote a nice column.

I agree with Ting; Lynch should win EOTY. His overhaul was better. However, the very reason that he marginalized Beane's offseason also applies to Ting. Garoppolo, Kittle, the entire OL, 4 first round DLmen without Bosa, the entire secondary--already there.

Also, a few other thoughts:

How can anyone other than McCaffrey win OPOY? Top 3 in rushing yards and 2nd in receptions? That's absolutely insane.

Sean Payton should win COTY. They're going to have a first round bye despite missing their HOF QB for a third of the season.

He's got 19 sacks. I think there's a good chance they jump on the opportunity to trade him this offseason...

dont sleep on can’t guard Mike 

he was also without his HOF qb and dominated this season. The dude catches everything.