Was Defense Vanilla?

Hatszel

Is it just me or did it seem that our defense played very vanilla.  We didn't seem to create pressures like the last few games and stayed with 4 man rushes.  I wonder if we did not extend our game plan in preparation for the playoffs and not show too much seeing that even with a win we would more than likely be a 5th seed.

Brady typically picks apart teams that blitz because their entire offence is predicated on quick dinking and dunking passes. 

You need to get pressure with your front 4 to beat him

Edited by DJB

Yep. Brady and the Pats have struggled with the blitz for the past 8 or so weeks. Bills rush 4 lost of the game while Brady sits back and has a cup of coffee before throwing the ball. No idea how that was their game plan.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DJB said:

Brady typically picks apart teams that blitz because their entire offence is predicated on quick dinking and dunking passes. 

But has not been the same Brady we seemed to give him way to much time without mixing things up much.

No. Brady just never loses at home. and in games that matter they are almost unstoppable at home with something to play for. 

We also got dominated in TOP. Offense couldn't sustain drives any top defense will crumble when they are fatigued. these players aren't robots 

Just now, MDH said:

Yep. Brady and the Pats have struggled with the blitz for the past 8 or so weeks. Bills rush 4 lost of the game while Brady sits back and has a cup of coffee before throwing the ball. No idea how that was their game plan.

I was wondering if they were so confident that they are going to beat Houston that they didn't want to show any of their cards to a team they think they'll be playing again in a few weeks

1 minute ago, DJB said:

You need to get pressure with your front 4 to beat him

Normally, I’d agree. But Brady has been getting his ass handed to him with blitzes the last several weeks. McFrazier gave Brady little to think about all night. Way too predictable.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

Normally, I’d agree. But Brady has been getting his ass handed to him with blitzes the last several weeks. McFrazier gave Brady little to think about all night. Way too predictable.

Well for one we should have almost doubled on Edelman. Brady goes to him all game its obvious their game plan

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

No. Brady just never loses at home. and in games that matter they are almost unstoppable at home with something to play for. 

We also got dominated in TOP. Offense couldn't sustain drives any top defense will crumble when they are fatigued. these players aren't robots 

Why blame the offense.  ST pinned Brady at the 1 yard line and we allowed to march down the field for 18 Plays and 75+ yards

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, MDH said:

Agreed.   The only thing I can think of is that they're in full Texans mode and were willing to take their chances against Brady.   McD was much more subdued that usual and not many players had smoke coming out of their ear holes.

If this wasn't the case, however, I'd be really pissed with the conservativeness.   

• Like (+1) 1

The defense, IMO, was the reason for this loss. They played way too conservative. Tom Brady doesn’t beat the blitz like he used to. The Bills, instead of making the 40 something year old guy move around and feel uncomfortable, gave him all day to throw and he found the open guy the majority of the time.

Then, our tackling was awful.

The Bills didn’t lose to the Patriots....the Bills beat themselves by playing scared football. That isn’t the defense I know.

• Like (+1) 2

The defense today was very vanilla, and frightened of Brady.  Marsha has struggled his entire career with pressure up the middle and the front seven putting their hands in the air when he throws.  We didn't do anything remotely aggressive, which is worse than being too aggressive.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought the same thing, and I actually expected this before the game. I think the coaching staff knew Miami beating New England is extremely unlikely which essentially made this game meaningless. You don't pull out all the stops in that situation. Save it for the playoffs. I think this game proves the defensive talent is really not that outstanding, but our normal scheme makes the players look better. In a vanilla scheme with no wrinkles we were outmatched.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Hatszel said:

Is it just me or did it seem that our defense played very vanilla.  We didn't seem to create pressures like the last few games and stayed with 4 man rushes.  I wonder if we did not extend our game plan in preparation for the playoffs and not show too much seeing that even with a win we would more than likely be a 5th seed.

I thought we should have blitzed the crap out of Brady.  We made it easy for h8m

Our best defense has come down the stretch when we’ve trusted our coverage guys to do their job, and sent blitz. We didn’t do that today. We got scared of Brady, and scared of of the run. We looked soft. It was an unusual experience. If our defense from any game other than Philly shows up, we win this game. 

54 minutes ago, Hatszel said:

Never saw any real pass rush beyond the front four.  You beat Brady by harrassing him

Just now, Xwnyer said:

Never saw any real pass rush beyond the front four.  You beat Brady by harrassing him

only rushed four and to be honest we cant generate pressure without bring extra bodies or running stunts  Only true edge rusher we have is Hughes and not sure what he has left  Interior guys get pressure from stunts or missed assignments  Plus they dont have Cody Ford playing tackle (hard to believe Marshall newhouse  was in and played  better

I agree as far as the gameplan goes. This game was much more important for the Pats* than the Bills. A Bills win wouldn’t have improved their seeding on its own, and a long shot win by MIA Vs NE next week was required to win the division. Everyone knows at this point the best way to beat this version of the Patriots is to pressure Brady, as he will throw the ball away and take sacks. I surmised that the Bills might not show too many of their best pressures today, and they did not. With next week a virtual bye week, teams will be looking at today’s film. It seemed that the Bills played very conservatively on defense, and that allowed Brady to stand back there. The lack of aggression also helped their running game. The Bills coaches have moved into playoff mode and went with a simple gameplan today.They need their best defensive work for the playoffs, especially if they see this team again.  It was enough to keep the game close, but also just enough to lose. If they made Brady play today like he did at BUF, they’d probably have walked out with a win.