Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

Kinda was expecting Josh Allen to come running out that tunnel to Stone Cold Steve Austin's walkout music... woulda been unreal.

Ditto what most people have said.. if he doing light work in shorts/limited tomorrow i think there's a good chance he'll play. If not we have Barkley - who didn't look terrible against the best D in the league.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He can be in the protocol up until Saturday and still play Sunday. 

The key, as others have mentioned before, is what stage is he? If he is at stage 2-3 he can participate in meetings, and some parts of practice. Stages 4 and 5 are essentially full go football activity. 

We'll know a lot tomorrow. If he's not at practice, chances are he's still in the rest stage which would be a bad sign. 

I will say....considering how different Allen/Barkley are, I do expect the Bills to play this out until the last possible moment to limit the Titans' preparation. 

Belichick has no problem with the hit...of course not.  Maybe it's time to change the way you coach your defensive players, Bill.  In the mean time Josh Allen remains in concussion protocol.

47 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Wasn't Tyrod concussed and he played the  following Sunday??  

(I'm sure "the competitor" even played while concussed) 

Yes, last year with the Browns he was cleared to play by Thursday of the next but didn’t actually play because baker got named the starter already 

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Not sure if already posted somewhere upthread, but I found this interesting from Peter King's column yesterday, discussing advances in concussion/head related trauma prevention that's coming to market soon--wish the Bills already had this! Excerpt below:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/30/nfl-power-rankings-week-4-fmia-peter-king/

"4. I think this is the most interesting thing I learned this week: There’s a doctor in Florida who is working to develop a topical cream for football players to use pre-game to reduce the effects of head trauma during the game, and also a nasal spray to be used after a concussive blow, to lessen the length of time for recovery from a concussion. The doctor, Jake VanLandingham of Florida State, is in the trial phase with these medications. These medications wouldn’t be solely for football either—the military, with its history of concussive incidents in combat, is interested as well. “It would be good for football, and good for the military,” VanLandingham said. “But it’d also be good for the U.S. health-care industry. We could save billions in health-care costs.” The savings could come, VanLandingham thinks, if the recovery time for a concussion went from 10 or 12 days to five, which is his forecast with the nasal spray after a concussion is suffered … and, if the brain had been pre-treated with the trans-dermal cream on the side of the neck before a concussive blow, the effect of the hit would be lessened because a neurological anti-inflammatory had been used. “It’s like a brain shield,” VanLandingham said of the pre-game trans-dermal cream. He expects a couple of college football programs to be using some of the medication by 2020. This is one of the most hopeful things I’ve heard about concussion treatment in years."

Yeah...I am gonna stay as far away from that as I can for maybe 10 years. At least v.3.0. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen. A couple HS or Pro football/soccer/lacrosse etc. players are directed to use the wonder cream/spray, and somebody permanently scrambles their eggs.Use the spray and cream, and follow the exact same timeline, because brain health is important. 

5 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Belichick has no problem with the hit...of course not.  Maybe it's time to change the way you coach your defensive players, Bill.  In the mean time Josh Allen remains in concussion protocol.

I posted as much earlier...

They TEACH their players to "hit" that way.   

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, last year with the Browns he was cleared to play by Thursday of the next but didn’t actually play because baker got named the starter already 

thanks  but I was referring to his time in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I posted as much earlier...

They TEACH their players to "hit" that way.   

thanks  but I was referring to his time in Buffalo. 

He did have 2 documented concussions with the Bills but didn’t play the next game for variety of reasons. The first was week 3 of the preseason and the 2nd was in the playoffs 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I went back and looked at something I picked up on during the game to reaffirm.

Gore had excellent runs but he tired....and when he did they dint trot Yeldon out there....they ran Josh on designed runs....I FIRMLY believe that they dont do those runs if they had a fresh back that they felt could make plays......keeping Gore fresh....when Josh started throwing picks I firmly beleve Debol brings it back to the vest because our D was holding Brady and company in check.

This is not a knock on Gore...he simply is not a 25 carry back any more

AND

Its Motor.....every time he touches the ball something good happens.

If only we had a solution for RB depth a few weeks ago....

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

ok... so this has happened recently... i was trying to think the last couple of days, since the new protocols have been in place, if somebody had been lit up on a sunday and actually cleared by the following sunday and i just couldn't think of any.

• Like (+1) 1

If I'm the Bills i allow Josh to get his head clear, sit this one out and watch Matt Barkley run the offense for a week.   I think Matt has enough ability to manage the game and get it done.  Tennessee's defense is tricky.  They aren't New England but they disguise a lot on nearly every play.  Let's see Josh come back in 2 weeks vs. Miami and really get it going.

I want Josh to play. Mostly because Im going to the game and we better not lay a stinker in Nashville against a crappy Titans team after I went through all this trouble :devil:

But also because we have the Bye coming up right after this week. Let Josh play, and then take 2 weeks to rest. Same with Singletary.

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

well.... i got to digging because i could have swore that was a Thursday night game he got dinged. and sure enough it was..... so that's not saying much for our situation.

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Did I miss a status update in this monstrosity of a thread?

Josh Allen was caught running along the Niagra River.

He was wearing a bra as his underwear.

Is that update enough for ya?

?

17 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

well.... i got to digging because i could have swore that was a Thursday night game he got dinged. and sure enough it was..... so that's not saying much for our situation.

That’s right it was, makes a difference 

13 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Did I miss a status update in this monstrosity of a thread?

We won’t know anything until tomorrow. McD didn’t talk today. 

20 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Dude, it is a fair critique. It was a weird roster move to begin with. We just played the Patriots with the oldest RB in the league or had our QB run the ball...who is now injured....from running the ball...

Hindsight isn't the issue here. It is lack of foresight. 

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Dude, it is a fair critique. It was a weird roster move to begin with. We just played the Patriots with the oldest RB in the league or had our QB run the ball...who is now injured....from running the ball...

Hindsight isn't the issue here. It is lack of foresight. 

The oldest RB in the league played very well against the Pats....he was our only offense.  The play where Allen got injured wasn't a running play.  

I was shocked at first with the news but understand it now.

McCoy is one of the highest paid RB's in the league.  He would have been a part time player with us and that's a lot of cash for that.

They weren't going to cut McCoy if Singletary didn't show all that promise in camp.  We've seen him and what he can do....he looks to be special.

• Like (+1) 1

Singletary has 10 touches this year. And 5 receptions.  Not sure how you declare him special or a good replacement for shady.  That dude is a playmaker. Which we could use right now.  

Edited by nedboy7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Singletary has 10 touches this year. And 5 receptions.  Not sure how you declare him special or a good replacement for shady.  That dude is a playmaker. Which we could use right now.  

A: Why has this devolved into a Shady Thread?

B: I am not a fly on the wall at OBD, but I believe that a large part of Shadys release has to do with loyalty to the player who’s on field time would be greatly reduce this year and who obviously still has time left to be an effective player and establish his place in the Hall of Fame. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The oldest RB in the league played very well against the Pats....he was our only offense.  The play where Allen got injured wasn't a running play.  

I was shocked at first with the news but understand it now.

McCoy is one of the highest paid RB's in the league.  He would have been a part time player with us and that's a lot of cash for that.

They weren't going to cut McCoy if Singletary didn't show all that promise in camp.  We've seen him and what he can do....he looks to be special.

We are eating the cap anyways. Money was a non-issue

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

B: I am not a fly on the wall at OBD, but I believe that a large part of Shadys release has to do with loyalty to the player who’s on field time would be greatly reduce this year and who obviously still has time left to be an effective player and establish his place in the Hall of Fame. 

Well then give us some news on his concussion protocol

• Thank you (+1) 1

Adam Benigni said on Monday that he thinks it's highly unlikely Allen plays. 

It didn't sound like he had an inside info, but Vic Carrucci and the other TBN reporters were at the desk nodding. 

Take it for what it's worth. 

I think we'll know everything we need to know tomorrow. If he's not out at practice in some form (shorts/t-shirt) by Wednesday, I think we can prepare for the Matt Barkley show. 

https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/week-4-digital-breakdown-from-the-sports-talk-live-buffalo-crew/71-36b29bee-abe7-46c0-83e3-153372bd7950 

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Mango said:

We are eating the cap anyways. Money was a non-issue

Paying way too much for a part time player is always an issue.

Having 3 starting RB’s when there’s only one ball is an issue.  We’ve tried that once and it was an issue.

I would rather get Singletary his game experience than keeping Shady for his 10 carries a game.  If Shady was going to be our bell cow back, then yes of course keep him...but this wasn’t the case.

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Don't we have anyone spying on JA at the facility? At his house? His girlfriend? Social media? 

I want an update!

Josh Allen is eating wings at Anchor Bar right now?

The buzzards are circling.

?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Honestly, I don't think there is any way Allen plays.  IF he isn't cleared to practice tomorrow, I just don't see it, especially with the Bye being next week.  If he isn't cleared tomorrow, I would guess they take things slow and give him a full 2 weeks to get healthy.  Just my guess, though.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

seriously. i know its not something we pay attention to on other teams but can anyone list any documented protocols that started on a sunday and ended in time for a player to take the field the following sunday?

just doesn't seem like it happens anymore.

It would be pretty fantastic if someone could find info on this.

Honestly it's not horrible if Allen can't play. It might be good for his development. It's a little unconventional but it might help him to have one game on the bench plus the bye week to refocus himself. Then come back with the Dolphins as a warm up game.

The Titans game is going to be a gritty defensive showdown no matter what. I'm fine with Barkley taking the reins for this one.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I believe that a large part of Shadys release has to do with loyalty to the player who’s on field time would be greatly reduce this year and who obviously still has time left to be an effective player and establish his place in the Hall of Fame. 

I certainly hope you are wrong and the brain trust at OBD is making decisions about the Bills is based on who helps us win the most as opposed to getting guys who played most of their career elsewhere into the Hall. 

We could have cut Yeldon.  Looks to me like their afraid to give him the football.  Reminds me of last year when we had a back up QB we were afraid to play.  These types of player decisions are disturbing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Having 3 starting RB’s when there’s only one ball is an issue.  We’ve tried that once and it was an issue.

I would rather get Singletary his game experience than keeping Shady for his 10 carries a game.  If Shady was going to be our bell cow back, then yes of course keep him...but this wasn’t the case.

Now that he's gone I think it's OK to admit that McCoy was coming off two sub-standard(to be kind) seasons and was woeful in pass pro and unplayable in short yardage and didn't exact any toll on a defense if given a lot of carries etc..   

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We have one starting RB the last 2 weeks...4 weeks into the season. 

Even if Singletary was heathy, I’d rather pay Shady to be on the roster than to take the cap hit and not be on the roster. 

4 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

A. Fair. I’ll stop hijacking the thread after this post. Originally I was responding to a post here on here on whether or not Gore could be productive handling the work load given his age and mileage.  He wouldn’t need to if we weren’t eating his dead cap for him not to be here. 

B. I tend (hope) to agree with this point. From a roster perspective we are better with his 10 carries and his cost, than without him...for the same cost. 

Edited by Mango

56 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Honestly it's not horrible if Allen can't play. It might be good for his development. It's a little unconventional but it might help him to have one game on the bench plus the bye week to refocus himself. Then come back with the Dolphins as a warm up game.

The Titans game is going to be a gritty defensive showdown no matter what. I'm fine with Barkley taking the reins for this one.

I had considered that Allen got a mind f'ng by Bill B and was out of sorts. he got a bit humbled sorting out those Defensive alignments and finding guys not getting open with carzy pass rush
Okay to sit him a week by me. and then get the bye. come back to run roughshod over the Fish and get his Mojo back

I want to see Barkley after a week practicing with the ones. good for him to get reps as well.

Gotta bring up Webb though. when ? saturday ?