How about a 17 game season?

Just Jack

I like the idea of the extra game and an extra bye. It would extend the football season by 2 weeks and maybe 1 week of playoffs. The roster would need to go to 60+ but not everyone is available (see below). 

One game must be payed on a neutral site. How cool would a game like Chargers vs Bills in Kansas City or Lambeau? Interesting road trips each year. Then fan bases could really boast about how well they travel.

To keep the records intact each player can only suit up for 16 games. This would be interesting as to when you sit a healthy player. 

22 hours ago, Virgil said:

How would they decide the 17th game? Right now, it works out perfectly in that you play everyone in your division twice, two full other divisions, and one from each division in your conference that finished with the same record as you.  

It would create and imbalance, especially with home and away games.  

To keep it even, you need to go to 18 games or simply eliminate the divisions.  Just AFC and NFC

A straightforward way would be to play a game against a team from the non-conference division you're 2 years away from playing again; with the 1st place teams from the previous year playing each other &  then 2v2,  3v3, & 4v4.

Either play neutral site, or have the AFC teams all get the extra home game 1 year and the NFC teams the next.

23 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I’d like it. Get rid of Preseason. Add 6 more players to active roster.

now I think the owners are going to use this as a bargaining chip. I think they stay at 16 games and get players to give up something that is meaningful to them. 

16 games. Larger roster. 2 bye weeks. Same football games, but more TV weeks will add more revenue. Stop testing for weed. Make OTA’s non optional. Require more time in the facility, but no contact. Make the product on the field better. Add another round of playoffs with an extra two teams from each conference.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Except the fans. Two bye weeks is absolutely awful. They did it before, one season in the 1990s ( not sure which). It stunk, one bye week is bad enough. 

It was in '93 and the execution was horrible as far as scheduling goes.  They gave each division the same bye week and some teams (like the Bills) had bye weeks in week 3 and then week 7.  The main complaint by teams was that any momentum was halted because of the extra bye.  They also had as many as 8 of 28 teams on bye's so obviously it was tougher for networks to find quality games to broadcast nationally.  There wasn't Sunday Ticket or NFL Redzone yet.

Now, you have 32 teams instead of 28 increasing the number of games.  Sunday ticket and NFL Redzone are options that allow fans not to be stuck with one or two games to choose from on a Sunday afternoon.  Fantasy football has created interest in games fans traditionally wouldn't care about.  They could easily schedule it so you have no more than six teams on a bye during an NFL weekend giving you at least 13 games to choose from.  I'd be fine with them doing it and starting the season one week earlier.

On 9/27/2019 at 3:25 AM, Don Otreply said:

As an exhibition game sure, but the same problem that killed NFL Europe  is still there. There is no American style football infrastructure in the rest of the world/no talent to create more teams. The rest of the world already has its established pro big money sports. The NFL needs the rest of the world, the rest of the world does not need the NFL.  For some reason Americans can’t wrap their heads around this.  Soccer, which is a world sport has successfully infiltrated the US, market with both major and minor leagues, and over time will usurp American football. 

As someone who tried to buy tickets for the Buccs - Panthers game at Tottenham during the Bills by week and was online the moment they went on sale and by the time I got to the front of the virtual queue 9 minutes later found out they had already sold out I think you slightly underestimate the popularity of the NFL in Europe. It is growing and it continues to grow. 

I agree there isn't enough infrastructure to create new teams and a genuinely expanded player base but you do see now a steady stream of European born players making their way into the league.  

If the league does go to 17 games I wouldn't be at all surprised if that meant every team playing 8 home, 8 road and 1 international game as part of the regular season schedule. The NFL already has a contract for 4 games a year in London, it has played games in Mexico, they have had discussions with officials in Dublin and in German cities. It is feasible. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/26/2019 at 10:25 PM, Doc Brown said:

OJ would've gained 2400 yards that year and would hold the single season record still.  His legacy would be even more impressive today.

It doesn't matter games are played more, players gain more yardage, game is bigger, faster, stronger... That doesn't equate to being: "better."  The game, record being better. Actually, the game usually ends up worse.

OJ still holds the single season rushing record for most yards gained...

...for a 14 game season.  Unbreakable, there will never be another 14 game season again.

It's actually more impressive to do what he did in fewer games.  Fewer games = harder.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

On 9/26/2019 at 9:17 PM, Doc Brown said:

Keep it at 16 as I don't want to see all the single season records broken.  Just add another bye week so the NFL gets more tv revenue.

Old people like you care about records.  I care about watching football.  Give me one more week of real football and another bye.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

As someone who tried to buy tickets for the Buccs - Panthers game at Tottenham during the Bills by week and was online the moment they went on sale and by the time I got to the front of the virtual queue 9 minutes later found out they had already sold out I think you slightly underestimate the popularity of the NFL in Europe. It is growing and it continues to grow. 

I agree there isn't enough infrastructure to create new teams and a genuinely expanded player base but you do see now a steady stream of European born players making their way into the league.  

If the league does go to 17 games I wouldn't be at all surprised if that meant every team playing 8 home, 8 road and 1 international game as part of the regular season schedule. The NFL already has a contract for 4 games a year in London, it has played games in Mexico, they have had discussions with officials in Dublin and in German cities. It is feasible. 

Until an infrastructure exists it will not happen, no pee wee, no pop Werner, no high school, no college, no system in place, and not for the foreseeable future.

Short and Long term the NFL is trapped in North America, and is struggling to get past exhibition games, and has been for decades. An Example is the failure of NFL Europe. While soccer has expanded pretty much everywhere, and continues to grow it’s infrastructure in North America through our grade schools to the minor and major leagues, participation is growing.

The town I lived in in Ct as an example, put up a bunch of new soccer and baseball fields, nothing for new for youth football, why? Children’s Health liability, on top of that all over America fewer and fewer parents are letting their children play the game, and many high schools nationwide have stopped having teams due to low participation and children’s health liability. long term this does not bode well for American football. We are likely living during its peak time. Good or bad, “Times, they are a changing”  

Go Bills!!!

10 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Old people like you care about records.  I care about watching football.  Give me one more week of real football and another bye.

Or, teams and fans could actually take preseason seriously and have four additional games, you young people are silly, more football is right in front of you and you poo poo it. 

Go Bills!!!

56 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Until an infrastructure exists it will not happen, no pee wee, no pop Werner, no high school, no college, no system in place, and not for the foreseeable future.

Short and Long term the NFL is trapped in North America, and is struggling to get past exhibition games, and has been for decades. An Example is the failure of NFL Europe. While soccer has expanded pretty much everywhere, and continues to grow it’s infrastructure in North America through our grade schools to the minor and major leagues, participation is growing.

The town I lived in in Ct as an example, put up a bunch of new soccer and baseball fields, nothing for new for youth football, why? Children’s Health liability, on top of that all over America fewer and fewer parents are letting their children play the game, and many high schools nationwide have stopped having teams due to low participation and children’s health liability. long term this does not bode well for American football. We are likely living during its peak time. Good or bad, “Times, they are a changing”  

Go Bills!!!

Or, teams and fans could actually take preseason seriously and have four additional games, you young people are silly, more football is right in front of you and you poo poo it. 

Go Bills!!!

But the games in Europe are not exhibition games. They are real regular season football games. 

On growing the game in the sense of the NFL having an infrastructure in other places that expands the talent pool I agree with you. We are a long way off. But on being able over the course of a season to sell 16 regular season games internationally so that each team plays 1 international game alongside their 8 home and 8 away.... I am pretty confident they could make that work now. They could easily have sold the 4 London games this year twice over. That is 8 just in one city. 

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But the games in Europe are not exhibition games. They are real regular season football games. 

On growing the game in the sense of the NFL having an infrastructure in other places that expands the talent pool I agree with you. We are a long way off. But on being able over the course of a season to sell 16 regular season games internationally so that each team plays 1 international game alongside their 8 home and 8 away.... I am pretty confident they could make that work now. They could easily have sold the 4 London games this year twice over. That is 8 just in one city. 

Yes those games in London or wherever are regular season games, but for those watching it’s an exhibition/spectacle/novelty.

I certainly give the NFL credit for persistence, they do keep trying, but it’s the NFLs check book that is footing the major costs of those games, flying the teams and all their staff, players, and equipment, booking the venue etc, ain’t cheap,  only a portion of the gate, food, drink, trinket sales is going into the Leagues pocket if any at all.

Believe me, those venue owners and broadcasters have the nfl over a barrel, and they know it, with out those entities they don’t play in London or wherever.

It is costing the NFL a small fortune for every one of those games.  It all works well in North America because the league owns the majority of stadiums, keeps the majority of gate and associated revenue, and they have a monopoly.

In the rest of the world they are tenants renting space. They have to incorporate a different business model to make it work. Thus far they haven’t been successful, who knows, maybe they will be happy with a smaller margin of profit overseas, it’s certainly hard to know their plans.

Go Bills!!!

On 9/26/2019 at 10:25 PM, Don Otreply said:

As an exhibition game sure, but the same problem that killed NFL Europe  is still there. There is no American style football infrastructure in the rest of the world/no talent to create more teams. The rest of the world already has its established pro big money sports. The NFL needs the rest of the world, the rest of the world does not need the NFL.  For some reason Americans can’t wrap their heads around this.  Soccer, which is a world sport has successfully infiltrated the US, market with both major and minor leagues, and over time will usurp American football. 

So, I actually have a funny story about your username. This is so weird that we kind of thought the same way about it. 

At one of my past jobs, the company would send out emails everyday about random things. Our email addresses were first name, last name and then @ the name of the company. A lot of them use to say "donotreply" and then etc, etc, etc. The company was a decent size of about 300 people and it was all on one floor in one giant room so everyone knew who each was. One day I'm sitting at work and we were getting bombarded with these emails. So, I turn to my co-workers and I say "Does anyone know who this Don Otreply guy is and why he keeps sending these emails?" Everyone around me just stared at me for a few seconds and were like "what do you mean, Don Otreply?" One of my coworkers came to my desk and looked and then he bursted out laughing and then once everyone around me realized what I was talking about they did the same. That's when I found out it meant "Do Not Reply". I thought I was the only one who saw it as Don Otreply which is what got me when I saw your username

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

So, I actually have a funny story about your username. This is so weird that we kind of thought the same way about it. 

At one of my past jobs, the company would send out emails everyday about random things. Our email addresses were first name, last name and then @ the name of the company. A lot of them use to say "donotreply" and then etc, etc, etc. The company was a decent size of about 300 people and it was all on one floor in one giant room so everyone knew who each was. One day I'm sitting at work and we were getting bombarded with these emails. So, I turn to my co-workers and I say "Does anyone know who this Don Otreply guy is and why he keeps sending these emails?" Everyone around me just stared at me for a few seconds and were like "what do you mean, Don Otreply?" One of my coworkers came to my desk and looked and then he bursted out laughing and then once everyone around me realized what I was talking about they did the same. That's when I found out it meant "Do Not Reply". I thought I was the only one who saw it as Don Otreply which is what got me when I saw your username

LOL ?, I was wondering if anyone would catch on, ?, damn funny story, thanks,

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Yes those games in London or wherever are regular season games, but for those watching it’s an exhibition/spectacle/novelty.

That simply isn't true. You might have got away with arguing that the first few years. Indeed the perception was "it is a novelty, even NFL Europe was well supported at the start, it'll wear off." But it hasn't. Over a decade in and they are still selling 4 games out within 15 minutes of the individual game tickets going on sale. The NFL has a fan base in Europe and a very real and growing one. We understand the game, we know the plays and we are not just there for the hot dogs.  

Doesn't mean I am arguing that London or Europe generally is ready to sustain a team, I have said on here many times I am sceptical about that - at least in part because the fans are passionate about their own teams. If they put a team in London I am not going to abandon the Bills and become a fan of the London Jags and none of my mates who follow specific teams are going to do that either. 

On the way the proceeds are split I do see your point. I don't know if the games are a loss maker for the NFL, maybe they are, but if so then the owners would soon put an end to them. One thing I do know though is that Spurs don't keep any of the ticket proceeds for the games at their stadium. The FA might for Wembley, I have no idea, but I know someone who worked on the Spurs deal and while Spurs do get to keep 100% of the food and drink concessions and get a share of anything considered as joint merchandising (so merchandise designed / produced specifically for those events rather than general NFL merchandise or team gear sold on the day), they don't keep any of the ticket sales. 

I am all for 2 preseason games and  1 more neutral site game that matters. I think it will make preseason games more watchable as a side benefit. I think they could do 4 games in London and a couple in Germany and a few in Mexico City and then sprinkle the rest.

I see your points, time will tell if it all works out or not.

Go Bills!!!

On 9/26/2019 at 6:27 PM, DJB said:

Im more in favor of adding the extra bye week. It would extend the season by one week increase TV revenues. Players would also get the extra break to heal up. 

Plus we keep the 16 game season and all the records. 

Seems a win-win for everyone 

I prefer this idea too. And also possibly adding a 7th playoff team. Only the #1 seed in each conference would get a bye week. But i am not sure how much extra revenue would be added. The number of games played is the same with the exception of one additional playoff game. You can schedule three more prime time games with the extra by week but they are just games that switch from regular broadcast to prime time so how much extra revenue do you get there?

It is hard to imagine a 17th game ever being added with all the concerns of injury and CTE. And getting rid of 2 preseason games does not solve that issue since the majority of starting NFL players only play about 1 combined game anyway in pre-season. 

For those who say we went from 14 to 16 back in '78 or whenever it was. True. But that doesn't mean we should do expand again and destroy the record books even more. Two wrongs don't make a right as the saying goes. 

• Like (+1) 1

While I'm not a huge fan of the 17 game season, I don't think the "problem" with statistical records should even be a minor consideration. Sports leagues evolve and change. I've lived through the creation of the AFL alongside the NFL, the interleague play between the two, the merger of the leagues, the expansion of the league to include more teams, then more games. Every one of those moves has some impact on the statistical records. So what? Those are just individual stats. Football is a team game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think this has to be the model - at least one neutral site game, since home field is just too valuable in the NFL to allow for a fair season otherwise. It's bad enough as it is with some teams playing a "home" game abroad.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

& how, exactly, are you going to legislate that?

See, just another example of young people being silly,  extremely weak statement, i’ll Wait for your next attempt ??

5 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I think this has to be the model - at least one neutral site game, since home field is just too valuable in the NFL to allow for a fair season otherwise. It's bad enough as it is with some teams playing a "home" game abroad.

I think neutral rather than all international.  Maybe some places in US like St Louis. San Antonio, etc.  Maybe San Diego (if they have anyplace to play now), Oakland (ditto) when pain has subsided.

You can only water down the product so much. Right now players are bigger, faster, and stronger than ever before -- and they are having difficulties making it through 16 games. Adding another bye week isn't going to magically make CTE injuries go away.

The push for 17 or 18 game seasons reinforces what most of us already know -- that the NFL's stance on player safety is an empty gesture and it's always been about the money.

40 minutes ago, QCity said:

You can only water down the product so much. Right now players are bigger, faster, and stronger than ever before -- and they are having difficulties making it through 16 games. Adding another bye week isn't going to magically make CTE injuries go away.

The push for 17 or 18 game seasons reinforces what most of us already know -- that the NFL's stance on player safety is an empty gesture and it's always been about the money.

17 games + an additional bye week would probably work best. A lot of people are just saying we need to move the Super Bowl to the Sunday of President's Day weekend, which is (I think) where it would land most years.

And I like the idea of neutral site games - London, Mexico, yes. But also possibly a few Canadian sites and other cities where seeing an NFL game involves a pretty long trek - Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, even Boise - as well as the usual suspects like San Antonio.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

• 3 weeks later...

17 games

2 Pre Season

6 extra players on the Roster.

1 challenge per game

Elimination of EVERY part time, fat, blind, old Ref

+ Hiring of Division 1 Football Players who are in Prime shape

+ Replay Ref hired with HD video cameras who can instantly halt games.

+ Redefinition of Challenge criteria on PI 

• Like (+1) 1