How about a 17 game season?

Just Jack

I'm completely against 18 games. At least not unless they significantly expand rosters.

I'm completely against no preseason. You think the first game or two are unwatchable now?  Just wait until there is ZERO preseason. Coaches hate this as well. 

Now they probably don't need 4 preseason games, so I could see cutting back one, or many two. So I could live with 17 games I suppose. But as people have noticed, who gets the extra home game?  This seems like an issue that will need a very creative approach to work.

Best solution, IMO, is to expand the playoffs just a bit. That should give the greedy owners the extra boost they crave.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Klaus said:

I think the 17 game season could solve a key goal of the NFL, expansion into new markets. Each team will have to play one neutral site game like London or Mexico City, but throw in Berlin, Paris, Shanghai, Tokyo, Toronto (eek), and I am sure a few others. And if there are enough foreign cities how about regional games at college stadiums. Now based on the press release I have no idea if the neutral site game would be the plan, but it is sort of the only way an odd number of games works.

As an exhibition game sure, but the same problem that killed NFL Europe  is still there. There is no American style football infrastructure in the rest of the world/no talent to create more teams. The rest of the world already has its established pro big money sports. The NFL needs the rest of the world, the rest of the world does not need the NFL.  For some reason Americans can’t wrap their heads around this.  Soccer, which is a world sport has successfully infiltrated the US, market with both major and minor leagues, and over time will usurp American football. 

• Like (+1) 1

Expanding playoffs would have appeal if it weren't for the likely situation that .500 teams would qualify.

An expanded regular season might add to the end season drama of who gets the last WC spots.

Also increases the likelihood of teams mailing it in, in a variety of ways, be it a playoff team of not.

Lastly, there would be more games no one would want to attend or watch on TV.

Edited by I am the egg man

2 hours ago, RiotAct said:

so... one season you’d play 9 home and 8 road games, and then next season flip it?

Eah team play game 17 overseas in London or elsewhere. Teams east don’t get a bye week after. 

Espn has a Labor Day London game.  Thursday Friday and and Saturday night game is played in Australia 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

Each team play game 17 overseas in London or elsewhere. Teams east don’t get a bye week after. 

Espn has a Labor Day London game.  Thursday Friday and Saturday night game is played in Australia 

.....China, Saudi Arabia, the Congo too. Anywhere one ponies up mega millions for a game.

NFL greed, lack of youth participation and LW injury politics could easily be their demise, regardless of sports betting and TV contracts. They should consider bots as replacement players soon.

That and testing CG's simulating games to see how many clueless can be duped.

Enjoy it while it's here. 20 or 30 years from now the NFL may be gone.

Edited by I am the egg man

2 hours ago, DJB said:

Im more in favor of adding the extra bye week. It would extend the season by one week increase TV revenues. Players would also get the extra break to heal up. 

Plus we keep the 16 game season and all the records. 

Seems a win-win for everyone 

Except the fans. Two bye weeks is absolutely awful. They did it before, one season in the 1990s ( not sure which). It stunk, one bye week is bad enough. 

5 hours ago, Just Jack said:

The league has been pushing it for a long time. Why wouldn't they? More cash for the owners.

But the players hate the idea and for good reason.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Except the fans. Two bye weeks is absolutely awful. They did it before, one season in the 1990s ( not sure which). It stunk, one bye week is bad enough. 

I’m not ideal but I think it’s a happy medium 

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Keep it at 16 as I don't want to see all the single season records broken.  Just add another bye week so the NFL gets more tv revenue.

YES. The Bills had one two-bye-week season in the SB era (I think it was 1992?) and that would be super smart to keep players healthy and able to recover.

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

OJ would've gained 2400 yards that year and would hold the single season record still.  His legacy would be even more impressive today.

Unfortunately his legacy is already cemented...........

1 hour ago, DJB said:

I’m not ideal but I think it’s a happy medium 

Why are you degrading yourself? I don't know you, but perhaps you ARE ideal, in the long run?