PFF's 90+ grades for week 2

GreggTX

5 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

The most annoying thing on the internet is thinking you are following a link to an article, but instead having a video thrust in your face. 

I’m thinking that reading is just to hard for the masses...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

+1

I'd rather much read an article .   Videos are big time wasters

I thought I was in the minority based on the amount of video posted.  Maybe I am old school but I can read faster than I can watch a video.  Plus I do not get the over the top delivery.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

F PFF right guys!?!?!?!?!?

They threw us a bone, but will be interesting watching "the experts" try to walk back all their nonsense regarding Allen.

Allen isn't there yet, but he came into the league as a talented, but raw project. He is what we thought he was. 

You can ruin guys like that if you do not give them the time and the resources to grow into the role. The patience of this coaching staff, and Allen's commitment to self-improvement is a good sign that he is in the right system.

Everyone is a bit high now, but there will be some bumps along the way.

It will be interesting to see if this is a more mature team that takes care of business against struggling teams like good teams do, or if they play down to the level of those teams as I have seen so often in the past.

Good litmus test coming up.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

They did. 

Bojo has really turned it around since the preseason. Hopefully he can stay consistent throughout the year. 

I’m surprised that Bojo made the list. Not because he didn’t have a really solid game, he did, it’s just that the punter from Cleveland killed it.

• Like (+1) 1

Horrible Harry appeared to have a GREAT game last week.  Bunch of nice pass defenses, but you never really know what is going on in between those splash plays... unless you watch the film (which presumably PFF did).  Nice to see that it was overall a great game from him

4 hours ago, yungmack said:

So now we like PFF?

Nope.     They overstate their ability to grade players based off of watching  video alone, IMO.   

The O-Line grade article in today's Buffalo News is a good example.  PFF says the line had a mediocre day, but nowhere do they acknowledge that the Giants blitzed on 42% of the Bills passing plays.   Or saying that most of the 125 yards in rushing was due to the RBs only, not the line.   :doh:

Plus, I still hate Collinsworth.   So that's a no-brainer when it comes to disliking PFF as well...

4 hours ago, WideNine said:

They threw us a bone, but will be interesting watching "the experts" try to walk back all their nonsense regarding Allen.

Allen isn't there yet, but he came into the league as a talented, but raw project. He is what we thought he was. 

You can ruin guys like that if you do not give them the time and the resources to grow into the role. The patience of this coaching staff, and Allen's commitment to self-improvement is a good sign that he is in the right system.

Everyone is a bit high now, but there will be some bumps along the way.

It will be interesting to see if this is a more mature team that takes care of business against struggling teams like good teams do, or if they play down to the level of those teams as I have seen so often in the past.

Good litmus test coming up.

Why is it that I see so-called good QBs laying turds for games and not get picked apart like Allen does?

7 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

phillips.jpg

That awesome.  

Way to go Harry! I wasn’t even thinking of  him to be any more than depth. 

Very nice. 

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I stopped at PFF.

Just say no to PFF

In other words...  just say pffffffff to PFF? 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why is it that I see so-called good QBs laying turds for games and not get picked apart like Allen does?

He was labeled coming out of college and most of the national media talking heads are far better at parroting opinions than actual film study.

Allen succeeding torpedoes their narrative, and their credibility. And let's face it, folks other than Bills fans would rather see this franchise making poor decisions and staying predictably at the bottom.

BTW.... I am old enough to remember "Rocket Ship 7 and Dave in the Morning" nice avatar.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well PFF graded Allen highly week 2. 

I am also intrigued as to which "good QBs" laid turds and didn't get picked apart? I suspect it is just because you are not paying the same attention to them. PFF has been pretty brutal in their analysis of Cam Newton and Matt Ryan and of the Rodgers - LeFleur marriage in Green Bay. They don't only criticise Bills. It is not a Collinsworth conspiracy to keep Buffalo down.  

8 hours ago, WideNine said:

BTW.... I am old enough to remember "Rocket Ship 7 and Dave in the Morning" nice avatar.

Way way back when I signed up here I wanted a handle that someone my age who grew up in Buffalo would get.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Well PFF graded Allen highly week 2. 

I am also intrigued as to which "good QBs" laid turds and didn't get picked apart? I suspect it is just because you are not paying the same attention to them. PFF has been pretty brutal in their analysis of Cam Newton and Matt Ryan and of the Rodgers - LeFleur marriage in Green Bay. They don't only criticise Bills. It is not a Collinsworth conspiracy to keep Buffalo down.  

I don't understand PFF's metrics. It feels arbitrary to me. That goes for when they like a Bills player or not.

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Way way back when I signed up here I wanted a handle that someone my age who grew up in Buffalo would get.

I don't understand PFF's metrics. It feels arbitrary to me. That goes for when they like a Bills player or not.

That's fair enough but they do pick apart other QBs and other players on other teams. They don't only critique Josh Allen. That would not get them much business I suspect. 

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That's fair enough but they do pick apart other QBs and other players on other teams. They don't only critique Josh Allen. That would not get them much business I suspect. 

Over time, using different individuals objectively applying the same tools to measure the same things you should come up with a more objective measurement, but if PFF uses the same tools and the same people to measure performance there is a greater chance of seeing a bias play out when measuring something that is inherently subjective.

That is why as fans we can be comfortable with what our own analysis tells us and keep in mind that players can develop into better players if they have the skills and are given the right coaching and supporting environment. It just takes time and patience. A subset of subjective performance data does not paint the full picture of where a player is, or where he will be over time.

I for one, tuned out PFF a while back, and just decided to trust what I was seeing in regards to Allen's development. Not just his ability to dump the ball off in 4 yard increments successfully 30x in a row, but making the correct read, looking defenders off, throwing with anticipation, carrying out play fakes, avoiding the rush, protecting the ball, situational awareness and clock management. There is so much that goes into a QB's development. 

I am feeling good about Allen's maturation to date, but am realistic to know that most all of us grow by making mistakes and correcting them.

Allen will have his share of mistakes, but as long as he learns from them and tries to apply what he has learned we cannot ask for much more than that. I said it before, but being in the same division as Belichick is a curse and a blessing because Allen is young and smart and is going to see just about every defensive wrinkle a coach could throw at him to confuse him, but that means that in a few years there will be very little he has not seen before.

One of the things that makes Brady so good (besides his line getting a pass on holding calls) is his ability to read defenses no matter how hard coordinators try to disguise what they are trying to do on each play. That is why he can throw to an open spot and it is very difficult to defend where that will be, and why zone is ineffective against him and when in man they have perfected the rub plays.

27 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Over time, using different individuals objectively applying the same tools to measure the same things you should come up with a more objective measurement, but if PFF uses the same tools and the same people to measure performance there is a greater chance of seeing a bias play out when measuring something that is inherently subjective.

They do have different people doing it. I get why some people dislike PFF but there is some value to what they do. People who treat it as gospel are making as big of a mistake as the people who totally dismiss it in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They do have different people doing it. I get why some people dislike PFF but there is some value to what they do. People who treat it as gospel are making as big of a mistake as the people who totally dismiss it in my opinion. 

Good to know Gunner, but give me 3 years of trending on Allen providing his supporting cast stays constant (which we know is not the case for any QB, but I think we are fortunate to have some level of continuity with this current staff under Beane and McDermott, maybe then I will find some value in the information.

As you say, it is a tool not gospel. I don't completely disregard it, but would be prescriptive in how I apply the information they gather. Since the Bill's front office went after the analytics guy in Miami, I am sure they find value in using analytics in a way that they feel help them improve as a team - there is a place for it.

5 hours ago, WideNine said:

Good to know Gunner, but give me 3 years of trending on Allen providing his supporting cast stays constant (which we know is not the case for any QB, but I think we are fortunate to have some level of continuity with this current staff under Beane and McDermott, maybe then I will find some value in the information.

As you say, it is a tool not gospel. I don't completely disregard it, but would be prescriptive in how I apply the information they gather. Since the Bill's front office went after the analytics guy in Miami, I am sure they find value in using analytics in a way that they feel help them improve as a team - there is a place for it.

I am a big fan of McDermott and I have some trust in Beane. I don't think PFF has been unfair to Allen compared to other QBs.