Week One: Bills at Jets

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

Oliver's first game as a pro, so we really have no idea what he is right out of the gate.

yep  and i would not not over excited about his production nor discipline.

Edmunds will need to watch his back (side ) and be ready to recover for Ed..

But for match ups?This is pretty awesome up front. i want to watch the Line of Scrimmage all day if a i can

20 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And then we will see if my skepticism on Ed Oliver's ability to hold up against the run was well founded or not.

If it’s an issue, Jordan Phillips can man the run downs. 

6 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

4 or 5 WR set    - who do they cover?  

Disagree.

Jamal Adams notwithstanding, the Jets' secondary is awful. Their D-line is stout. 12, or 21 packages, and give Allen as much protection as he needs. If whichever duo of Brown, beasley, McKensie, Jones, or Foster can't get open, check down. Or, Yeldon (can't believe I'm typing that name!), or Knox, on a short route.

And, if our O-line can punch a hole on running plays, great. Gore will have himself a good day. But, if they struggle against the Jets' interior line, this might be a good day to get Singletary running to the outside, and showing what he can do as a scat-back.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He's already cleared waivers and is signed to our PS.  At this point, he's effectively a FA.  Another team can make him an offer to sign to their 53. 

If he gets such an offer, the Bills can 1) match the offer and sign him to our 53 2) ask him to stay on our PS, perhaps at increased compensation 3) do nothing

The choice of what to do rests with Williams, should that occur.  He can choose to stay on our PS, choose to sign to our 53 if we match, or sign with the other team to their 53.

It's been known to happen that guys get a 53-man roster offer and say "um, No Thanks" and stay on the PS.  Usually when that occurs, the player sees his long-term opportunities to succeed in the NFL as being better where he is.  He may also be getting more than league minimum as a PS player.

Thanks Hapless, i'm a little fuzzy on the PS scenario, never quite paid attention to it until Duke.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I'm sure this is naive but my fear is he will get picked up by another team and become a capable starter  I hope we find a way to get him on the active roster.

If someone submits a claim we have the option to call him up instead 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I want Darnold to start out like he did last year 

A pick 6 on his first pass. 

I actually felt bad for him.  That baby was right between the numbers.  He is precise!

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I want Darnold to start out like he did last year 

A pick 6 on his first pass. 

That would be nice. 

But I give the kid a ton of credit for the way he bounced back in that game. Especially on the road on a Monday night before a national audience. That said something about Darnold, imo. He’s a fighter. An essential trait in a QB.

2 hours ago, TPS said:

If it’s an issue, Jordan Phillips can man the run downs. 

yep

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Greggo always always has a safety playing like 30 yards downfield 

Let Brown and Foster fly right past him

only need 3 wrs to score on this play. Beasley is the third. Leave Lee Smith at home in PP

Edited by 3rdand12

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And then we will see if my skepticism on Ed Oliver's ability to hold up against the run was well founded or not.

Oliver is gonna have Ryan Kalil regretting his decision to un-retire.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Are you starting to make your transition? Did prices get too high?

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Seems like a nice kid.  He was a rookie in his first start.  Poor kid's first pass!!!!!!!!!!  

Don't get me wrong ... I laughed.  But I still felt bad.

I'm never leaving the Bills Mafia.  Cosa Nostra, baby!!!!!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

We have the option of offering him a contract ourselves, for whatever we want. He can take it or leave it. We can't automatically keep him or have right of first refusal 

It is my understanding that a team can offer a player a deal and then we decide if we want to call him up (I believe we have to match but not sure on that) and if we do want to he comes to us. We would have to make room on the 53 for him though

This sticks in my head as I remember we did something when we got Chandler from the cowboys. We knew they liked him and another te so we put in a claim for the one we didn’t want and they called him up so then we claimed chandler. This is at least how it was spun 

Edited by Bray Wyatt

19 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

It is my understanding that a team can offer a player a deal and then we decide if we want to call him up (I believe we have to match but not sure on that) and if we do want to he comes to us. We would have to make room on the 53 for him though

This sticks in my head as I remember we did something when we got Chandler from the cowboys. We knew they liked him and another te so we put in a claim for the one we didn’t want and they called him up so then we claimed chandler. This is at least how it was spun 

Usually what happens is the agent would tell the Bills that a team is sniffing around on wanting to sign him to their 53 and will give the Bills a chance to sign him first if the player would prefer to stay there. It all goes through the agent. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Usually what happens is the agent would tell the Bills that a team is sniffing around on wanting to sign him to their 53 and will give the Bills a chance to sign him first if the player would prefer to stay there. It all goes through the agent. 

Yep. Then they decide which offer they want to take, and they can go back and forth to get the best deal. They're essentially free agents. Teams offer them any contract and agents try to get the them the best deal as well as opportunity to play. 

8 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

EDqluXbXoAAoxWt.jpg:large

It's not just the cap space that they have, they have that amount of space and have 43 players under contract for the 2020 season, including their QB1, LT, CB1, and defensive chess piece (Edmunds), which covers 4/6 "big money" positions.  They can afford to spend a ton on the other 2 high-dollar spots in free agency, which is nice since WR and EDGE will be relatively loaded.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

One thing I heard Beane mention on WGR about the practice squad that I didn't know before was that if you sign a player off of another team's practice squad, you have to keep them on your 53 for 3 weeks. 

Another random tidbit I learned while listening to Taron Johnson on WGR was that before coming to Buffalo, he hadn't played in the slot before, he was always on the outside. I'm excited to see how much more he can develop with a year under his belt. 

• Like (+1) 2

Adam Gase is going to be distracted by the legal trouble that his seafood store is dealing with...

Fish Shop Shut Down for Using Googly Eyes to Make Fish Look Fresher

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59477n/fish-shop-shut-down-for-using-googly-eyes-to-make-fish-look-fresher?utm_source=vicecanadafbca&utm_campaign=global&fbclid=IwAR3lKLyPL5h9g3rZ7mN48TPqenQLWgAs84ElnucS_p312yG3JW_vSEoiDrg

• Haha (+1) 1

A somewhat random prediction has come to me in the last few minutes:

At some point in this game, Allen is going to get the Jets to jump offside with his very Rodgers-like hard count, and on that play, he'll throw a deep ball for a TD or that results in a DPI in the end zone that leads to a TD.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

A somewhat random prediction has come to me in the last few minutes:

At some point in this game, Allen is going to get the Jets to jump offside with his very Rodgers-like hard count, and on that play, he'll throw a deep ball for a TD or that results in a DPI in the end zone that leads to a TD.

I believe it was Manuel that did this his rookie year...then he threw the ball out of bounds.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It just depends on the RBs he has. He's not going to underutilize Leveon Bell. Remember when CJ Anderson emerged in Denver Gase's last year there? 850 rushing and 300 receiving. Bell can do the same things even better...and much much better than the RBs he had in Miami. I don't think Gase is dumb enough not to run the ball early and often against the Bills defense. 

I'd be happy if he decides to lean on the passing game against the Bills' secondary, though. ?

I had the same thought.  If I were Gase, I'd run it down our throats until we prove we can stop it.

• Like (+1) 1