Week One: Bills at Jets

YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

Have to earn it in the locker room and on the field for a year. Not one of these guys is new to the team. 

Really depends on the person and role.  Hauschka was a captain in his first season here, and last year Taiwan Jones was a ST captain as a new player as well.

24 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Wow...I was almost certain that Beasley or Morse would be a captain alongside Allen.

Morse - let's just pray he's healthy.  Captain sitting on the sideline would not be a good look.

Why Beasley?

Did you see Dawkins on the sideline during PS game 4?  I swear he got more of a workout than in a game.  He was non-stop upbeat, running up and down the sideline, first guy there when there was a good play.  The joy of the game and the desire to encourge folks just shone from his face.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Morse - let's just pray he's healthy.  Captain sitting on the sideline would not be a good look.

Why Beasley?

Did you see Dawkins on the sideline during PS game 4?  I swear he got more of a workout than in a game.  He was non-stop upbeat, running up and down the sideline, first guy there when there was a good play.  The joy of the game and the desire to encourge folks just shone from his face.

I picked those two because they were veterans that came over from winning teams.

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

All opposing RBs are spied every game as they are someone’s key on defense on every play. Usually an LB and usually the MLB. As such I think we will see a lot of Edmunds vs. Bell. I suspect Milano will have coverage responsibility as well at times. 

Maybe I'm confused with my terminology (it wouldn't be the first time), but I know that Bell would be someone's assignment (I would hope, and assume that would be Edmunds), but that differs somewhat from being a spy? I think of the way that Kiko was a spy on Josh last season, and there was no pre-snap adjustment there. If Bell is Edmunds' initial assignment, that assignment could shift to Milano, or whomever, depending on where Bell lines up?

hoping the over confidence comes back to bite them in the ass. not saying you shouldn't be confident but I like it when a team gets cocky and then brought down to reality.

nothing wrong with acknowledging the challenge in front of them, as it will be. hopefully they over come it and hand bug eyes and his team a loss on sunday.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Maybe I'm confused with my terminology (it wouldn't be the first time), but I know that Bell would be someone's assignment (I would hope, and assume that would be Edmunds), but that differs somewhat from being a spy? I think of the way that Kiko was a spy on Josh last season, and there was no pre-snap adjustment there. If Bell is Edmunds' initial assignment, that assignment could shift to Milano, or whomever, depending on where Bell lines up?

Perhaps I should have put “spied” in quotations. Let’s just say that using that word to describe an LBs normal key is redundant. That differs from dedicating a spy to mirror a QB in that it is dedicating a resource normally used elsewhere. Not many QBs are targeted like that because not many QBs can hurt a defense like that. When Kiko was assigned to spy Allen, he was otherwise removed from another responsibility defensively. 

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

To overlook game 1 is LOL ?  funny 

Haha. This is a trap game for the Jest.

• Haha (+1) 1

Crumbling their cookies: How the Buffalo Bills should attack the New York Jets

Screen them to death on early downs

The Bills’ screen game was abysmal last year. Lack of line mobility and a significant shift in offensive philosophy hamstrung that part of the offense. The additions of T.J. Yeldon, Cole Beasley, and a metric ton of offensive linemen will help you break that negative tendency quickly.

Being in second down with a reasonable distance to go is an important part of keeping the playbook open (allowing for the shot play calls I mentioned above) and screen passes on first down can give you a low-risk option to pick up the necessary yardage.

Cole Beasley was built for this type of play, but if Allen notes a corner playing 15 yards off John Brown, throwing a quick screen to him may net more yards than pounding the rock into the teeth of a very stout Jets defensive interior.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

hoping the over confidence comes back to bite them in the ass. not saying you shouldn't be confident but I like it when a team gets cocky and then brought down to reality.

nothing wrong with acknowledging the challenge in front of them, as it will be. hopefully they over come it and hand bug eyes and his team a loss on sunday.

When every talking head treats you like you're already #2 in the division, it's easy to buy into it and look past this game. After all, it's just the Bills.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why Beasley?

...I'm not a "rah-rah...pom-pom.." type, but how about the sideline camaraderie when Wade scored?......think maybe McDermott has "HIS player environment/team mindset"?...I think so....

ESPN

jim-carrey-reaction-emotion-puke-no.gif

NFL Week 1 upset picks: How the Bills beat the Jets

For our first Upset Watch of the year, we'll go to the AFC East. The line has these two teams as even on a neutral field, but there are some reasons to believe that Buffalo can pull out a season-opening victory on the road.

Upset Watch: New York Jets (-3) vs. Buffalo Bills

These teams split their two games in 2018, but each team won in a very different way.

In Week 10, the Bills demolished the Jets 41-10 at MetLife Stadium. I would love to be able to tell you what Josh Allen did against the Jets in this game, but he didn't play. That game was the mysterious "greatest start of Matt Barkley's career," where the Bills signed a longtime veteran off the street and got 232 passing yards with two touchdowns out of him with no picks and only one sack. On the other side, it was Josh McCown -- not Sam Darnold -- throwing two picks with only 135 passing yards.

ESPN

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

ESPN

NFL Week 1 upset picks: How the Bills beat the Jets

For our first Upset Watch of the year, we'll go to the AFC East. The line has these two teams as even on a neutral field, but there are some reasons to believe that Buffalo can pull out a season-opening victory on the road.

Upset Watch: New York Jets (-3) vs. Buffalo Bills

These teams split their two games in 2018, but each team won in a very different way.

In Week 10, the Bills demolished the Jets 41-10 at MetLife Stadium. I would love to be able to tell you what Josh Allen did against the Jets in this game, but he didn't play. That game was the mysterious "greatest start of Matt Barkley's career," where the Bills signed a longtime veteran off the street and got 232 passing yards with two touchdowns out of him with no picks and only one sack. On the other side, it was Josh McCown -- not Sam Darnold -- throwing two picks with only 135 passing yards.

ESPN

How is it an upset if the team is only 3pt home favorites?

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

How is it an upset if the team is only 3pt home favorites?

you tell me.  I was mocking ESPN.

the media, especially espn hasn't been too high on buffalo. as the game drew closer they started leaning toward buffalo. I guess their view of an upset is buffalo is also with a 2nd year QB with questions on offense who only finished 6-10, 2 games above the jets and also had split with them so maybe the upset comes from homefield and they may feel darnold is the better QB?

either way, it wouldn't be an upset to me but rather a very nice surprise.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

9 hours ago, K-9 said:

All opposing RBs are spied every game as they are someone’s key on defense on every play. Usually an LB and usually the MLB. As such I think we will see a lot of Edmunds vs. Bell. I suspect Milano will have coverage responsibility as well at times. 

Well if you are playing a straight zone that’s not always the case and believe me they will be trying to get Bell in between or underneath zones.  I hope they play straight spy all game and play with more pressure this year. 

24 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Well if you are playing a straight zone that’s not always the case and believe me they will be trying to get Bell in between or underneath zones.  I hope they play straight spy all game and play with more pressure this year. 

Zone or not, Bell is someone’s key on every play. It’s just not the same thing as allocating a dedicated resource to check the opposing QB (spy). 

And given McD’s tendencies, I suspect we will see a lot of zone coverages with matchups underneath.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

If the Jets are overlooking this game, it might benefit the Bills ?

The Jets are desperate to win this game as their upcoming schedule has them 

- Playing the Upstart Browns at home in Week2

-  Travel to play the Patriots at Gillette

-  Road game down the Garden State Parkway to Phildaelphia

-  Home to the Cowboys and the Patriots 

-  Travel to Jacksonville to face another Ex. Eagles QB.

They could be 0-8 by mid point of the season and I believe their fans think they can win the 1st game and go 1-7.  

The Jets 2nd half is far easier with tough games only against the Steelers and the Bills.  But if they went 0-8 out of the gate that would be terrible for Adam Gas

4 hours ago, ganesh said:

The Jets are desperate to win this game as their upcoming schedule has them 

- Playing the Upstart Browns at home in Week2

-  Travel to play the Patriots at Gillette

-  Road game down the Garden State Parkway to Phildaelphia

-  Home to the Cowboys and the Patriots 

-  Travel to Jacksonville to face another Ex. Eagles QB.

They could be 0-8 by mid point of the season and I believe their fans think they can win the 1st game and go 1-7.  

The Jets 2nd half is far easier with tough games only against the Steelers and the Bills.  But if they went 0-8 out of the gate that would be terrible for Adam Gas

Their schedule is the very reason why they could be overlooking the Bills.