Week One: Bills at Jets

YoloinOhio

41 minutes ago, Say When... said:

I really want him on the 53, maybe they were concerned about making it 'too easy' for him.

just like a tiger, don't feed him for a few days; make him manageable and hungry and the memory will help him "stay in his lane".

Didn't that lady that didn't feed her tiger get eaten?

I hope the Bills D can rush the passer right out of the gate this year.

This will be the tell tale sign if the Bills are going to be a really good team this year.

If Darnold can sit back there and have his choice at the buffet table, it's not a good sign at all for the 2019 Bills.

It starts and ends with a consistent pass rush.

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I hope the Bills D can rush the passer right out of the gate this year.

This will be the tell tale sign if the Bills are going to be a really good team this year.

If Darnold can sit back there and have his choice at the buffet table, it's not a good sign at all for the 2019 Bills.

It starts and ends with a consistent pass rush.

Ryan Khalil might retire again after dealing with Oliver all game. He slow. Oliver fast.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ryan Khalil might retire again after dealing with Oliver all game. He slow. Oliver fast.

I thought about this match up earlier.  

They'll most certainly double him a lot.  Then Hughes should be singled up along with Murphy/Lawson on the other end.  

We need Star when he's out there to be able to push the RG back...he's not going to beat him for the sack but just push it enough where Darnold can't step up.

Hoping to have big games from the two Phillips....just win your match up.

I think we'll see blitzing directly up the middle from Edmunds or Milano.  If the Khalil slides to pick it up, Oliver is one on one.

Bell isn't picking up the blitz if Edmunds comes free....

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They'll most certainly double him a lot.  Then Hughes should be singled up along with Murphy/Lawson on the other end.  

We need Star when he's out there to be able to push the RG back...he's not going to beat him for the sack but just push it enough where Darnold can't step up.

I think we'll see blitzing directly up the middle from Edmunds or Milano.  If the Khalil slides to pick it up, Oliver is one on one.

If I were them, I'd be trying to run right at Oliver as much as possible.  Try to wear him down in his first NFL game, and do so as early as possible.

What you don't want to do is let the Bills get you into 3rd and long situations and let Oliver (and Hughes and Murphy) be able to use their speed advantage, because that would have the opposite effect.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

If I were them, I'd be trying to run right at Oliver as much as possible.  Try to wear him down in his first NFL game, and do so as early as possible.

What you don't want to do is let the Bills get you into 3rd and long situations and let Oliver (and Hughes and Murphy) be able to use their speed advantage, because that would have the opposite effect.

I think this on 3rd and 7+.....Murphey - Lorax - Oliver - Hughes

That unit is getting to the QB quickly.

1 hour ago, Say When... said:

good point - must be something we're not seeing then; forgot about the waiver process before they hit the PS.

he just needs to drop to our WW spot correct?  he's not eligible for all 31 teams unless we're 32nd (which we're not)?

He's already cleared waivers and is signed to our PS.  At this point, he's effectively a FA.  Another team can make him an offer to sign to their 53. 

If he gets such an offer, the Bills can 1) match the offer and sign him to our 53 2) ask him to stay on our PS, perhaps at increased compensation 3) do nothing

The choice of what to do rests with Williams, should that occur.  He can choose to stay on our PS, choose to sign to our 53 if we match, or sign with the other team to their 53.

It's been known to happen that guys get a 53-man roster offer and say "um, No Thanks" and stay on the PS.  Usually when that occurs, the player sees his long-term opportunities to succeed in the NFL as being better where he is.  He may also be getting more than league minimum as a PS player.

8 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I expect this. They'll pound it up the middle with Bell a lot and try to set up the play action. Oliver just needs to hold his ground and let the LBs clean up. It's not going to be a sexy game for him unless the Jets get desperate.

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

i just hope that if, the rush 4 only philosophy isn't working, that they'll change things up quick before we get down double digits. i worry about frazier being too stuck in his own scheme. it took two 40 point poundings for mcd to step in last year. that can't happen again. i worry about frazier being too old school.

1 minute ago, billsredneck1 said:

i just hope that if, the rush 4 only philosophy isn't working, that they'll change things up quick before we get down double digits. i worry about frazier being too stuck in his own scheme. it took two 40 point poundings for mcd to step in last year. that can't happen again. i worry about frazier being too old school.

I think, correct me if I'm wrong, Frazier took over play calling duties again in week 3.  

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I expect this. They'll pound it up the middle with Bell a lot and try to set up the play action. Oliver just needs to hold his ground and let the LBs clean up. It's not going to be a sexy game for him unless the Jets get desperate.

after watching Gase call plays in Miami I don’t expect him to do this. He greatly underutilized his RBs.  I Expect the short passing game and screen passes 

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

after watching Gase call plays in Miami I don’t expect him to do this. He greatly underutilized his RBs.  I Expect the short passing game and screen passes 

It just depends on the RBs he has. He's not going to underutilize Leveon Bell. Remember when CJ Anderson emerged in Denver Gase's last year there? 850 rushing and 300 receiving. Bell can do the same things even better...and much much better than the RBs he had in Miami. I don't think Gase is dumb enough not to run the ball early and often against the Bills defense. 

I'd be happy if he decides to lean on the passing game against the Bills' secondary, though. ?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It just depends on the RBs he has. He's not going to underutilize Leveon Bell. Remember when CJ Anderson emerged in Denver Gase's last year there? 850 rushing and 300 receiving. Bell can do the same things even better...and much much better than the RBs he had in Miami. I don't think Gase is dumb enough not to run the ball early and often against the Bills defense. 

I'd be happy if he decides to lean on the passing game against the Bills' secondary, though. ?

And then we will see if my skepticism on Ed Oliver's ability to hold up against the run was well founded or not.

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And then we will see if my skepticism on Ed Oliver's ability to hold up against the run was well founded or not.

I'm a little skeptical, but not too worried. I think the Bills have the talent to counter whatever the Jets do on offense. I see bigger holes in the Jets defense.

• Like (+1) 1