Devin Singletary, welcome to RB1 of the Buffalo Bills

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Thought he lacked speed and burst in the preseason games.

Hopefully the bold move works out for McBeane.

He is not as fast as Shady.....but he gets to his top speed very quickly which means he has excellent burst.

What I see are a lot more productive shorter runs.....wont break games open with one run but when you look back at the box score he will be a monster

9 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Is Singletary really a #1 back?

Undersized, lacks power, and slow as *****. IDK.

I'm not sure. There are different types of #1 RB's. He's much more of a Barry Sanders shifty type than a Jim Brown power type. Actually, he is nearly identical to Barry Sanders in every way except one: speed. Barry Sanders ran a sub-4.4 40-yd dash in his prime. Devin Singletary clocked in at 4.66, which is atrocious.

I am still nervous about Singletary's capacity to be a true 3 down NFL back. 

I guess we are about to find out.

10 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Is Singletary really a #1 back?

Undersized, lacks power, and slow as *****. IDK.

I don't know either and I watched a lot of tape on him pre-draft. I saw him as a change of pace guy and certainly initially as a 3rd down back. He pass protects pretty well for a guy coming out, I was never worried about his ability as a receiver despite FAU not using him that way and he has some elusiveness. I mainly worry about him on early downs when teams are keying in on the run. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't know either and I watched a lot of tape on him pre-draft. I saw him as a change of pace guy and certainly initially as a 3rd down back. He pass protects pretty well for a guy coming out, I was never worried about his ability as a receiver despite FAU not using him that way and he has some elusiveness. I mainly worry about him on early downs when teams are keying in on the run. 

I see the committee as Gore/Single rotating series, with Yeldon spelling them throughout the drives. 

Zeke Elliots first year, JG sat Zeke every third series for a number of reasons. I like this approach 

16 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

i bet Gore (love that name) is RB 1.

Does Wade make the roster due to his dynamic ability?

Thanks for never ending enthusiasm !!

RB1 = the player who leads the team in carries. Not who lines up the first play of the game. Do you think a 36 year old or a rookie will lead the team in carries?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

RB1 = the player who leads the team in carries. Not who lines up the first play of the game. Do you think a 36 year old or a rookie will lead the team in carries?

Wouldn't that be something?

What round do you draft Singletery in? 

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I’m still surprised by Shady, but I wonder if part of it is wanting more north-south runners to avoid putting Allen in 2nd or 3rd and long situations.  Shady can break stuff off but also when he dances can lose yards.

Probably part of it, but Shady is gone because he is no better than the rookie at this point in his career. Why keep him. The rookie is only going to get better and McCoy is only going to get worse.  Singletary is a starting NFL RB right now. He is that talented and everyone saw it. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, KayAdams said:

I'm not sure. There are different types of #1 RB's. He's much more of a Barry Sanders shifty type than a Jim Brown power type. Actually, he is nearly identical to Barry Sanders in every way except one: speed. Barry Sanders ran a sub-4.4 40-yd dash in his prime. Devin Singletary clocked in at 4.66, which is atrocious.

Frank Gore ran a 4.58 in his prime. His career turned out just fine. They are professional running backs, not professional 40 yard runners. Singletary is like Gore. They have the X factor. They just get yards.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

Between the 20's there's going to be a lot of Singletary.  Inside the 20's and short yardage is where we'll see more of a mix of Singletary and Gore

I actually think it could be the opposite. If Gore is considered the better pass protector he'll get in on plenty of plays and carries outside the redzone. 

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I actually think it could be the opposite. If Gore is considered the better pass protector he'll get in on plenty of plays and carries outside the redzone. 

I think they will be mixed in according to the game plan each week, and Yeldon will see time as well. Singletary showed he can be utilized in the passing game which will open up his touches that way in addition to Yeldon. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And hopefully we  can be one of those teams that can PASS on early downs when teams are keying in the run

in on the run ooops

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I think he's going to be really good, my only concern is durability, he took an absolute beating in college, most RB see the carries but he was a workhorse so his shelf life may not be that long.

I watched FAU’s offense yesterday for the first time. He has to have been a magician to have the stats that he did. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

And hopefully we  can be one of those teams that can PASS on early downs when teams are keying in the run

in on the run ooops

Could depend on the line too. They couldn't run block worth a lick last year. If they are not much improved in that area we might not have much of an option but to pass early and often.

Thing that sucks for me is I drafted Damien Williams with my second pick thinking he would be the primary back in K.C.. Then I followed up in the late rounds with McCoy actually thinking there was a shot he could be cut and end up somewhere where the grass is greener. Well, he did end up in greener pastures but now it likely means I used a second round pick on a guy that is going to be in a timeshare. That wasn't my idea when i drafted Williams. I still have Dalvin Cook and Josh Jacobs though. So either Williams or McCoy will probably be a flex play for me.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

22 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I'm not saying you're not a god, but I picked him up like 3 weeks ago... So that would make me a better god?... Maybe like a Thor/Loki type thing? 

Gods don’t play fantasy football.

And they definitely don’t talk about it.

32 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Can he pass block?

“I'm not going to say he's perfect at either, but he's shown the ability to do it,” Beane said. “He understands protections. The first thing to do in pass pro is to understand protections and where things are coming, where the free man is coming that he's got to pick up. He seems to have a good grasp of that mentally. The next part of that is his technique. I thought early in camp, he was inconsistent with his technique. I think he's improved it, and I think he'll continue to work on it. He's shown enough to be in there on, I would say, any of the three downs.”

https://buffalonews.com/2019/09/01/buffalo-bills-nfl-devin-singletary-lesean-mccoy/

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Can he pass block?

This is a work in progress for most rookies. If they are great pass blockers in addition to being able to run and catch at a high level they are top draft picks (ie zeke). But if they can do the latter two, the first can be developed and a good OC can run an offense according to that process. 

23 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

He doesn't play ST like Sproles or Terry Metcalf did. He's pretty much strictly a RB isn't he. So I don't see the versatility. Also they were gamebreakers and I don't see him as that either. Mind you I think it is reasonable to project him as a good, possibly very good back. I think three other posters had it right. He may well routinely pick up 5-8 yards where a lesser back might get 2 or 3. I agree that NYG Morris is maybe a decent comparable, though I think he may be better. And I agree that probably one of the reasons they let McCoy go was to provide simplified focus for Singletary to learn from Gore.

...obviously....I'm talking about offensive versatility that he brings to the table for Allen's arsenal......Daboll seems to be the ideal OC to maximize his talents......Frank IS "The Tank", Yeldon has hands, and Singeltary can keep DC's guessing IMO.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they will be mixed in according to the game plan each week, and Yeldon will see time as well. Singletary showed he can be utilized in the passing game which will open up his touches that way in addition to Yeldon. 

I really hate to say it, but it's looking more and more like the Pats' model for the position.

Idk if he gets 20 traditional runs.  However, I expect Singletary to get 20 or so touches a game.  Yeldon and Gore are perfect compliments to him.  Gadget plays, screens, traditional runs, I think he will be used all over the formation.  Think about the situation.  Buffalo traded up for him.  Drafted him early in round 3.  Singletary is primed to have a huge part if the offense.