Updates on Bills cuts

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

Wow on Neal. Not unhappy just a little surprised

Eh, haven't really seen enough of him to have a strong opinion, but my impression is that he's been working hard and making his case. Being a 2nd year draft pick probably gives him an edge over Pitts, but he could also be the one to go if they really do wanna bring back Captain week 2. 

17 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I think they are going with 7 WRs. The question is, which out of Phillips and Sills do they keep? I can't see them keeping 8 because releasing Duke would really make no sense at all

That's a lot of WR's to have on the roster. You hate to cut talent, but when would the 6th, 7th or 8th WR even see the field. It's a waste of valuable roster spots.

39 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I do think it signals a change.  All off season we heard they were going to have the offense go through the running game.

I think game 2 showed them if they spread out and run the offense through Allen - he and the offense function better - spread out.

...good call bud......only a buffoon (as expected) like Wrecks would advertise "ground and pound".....we need to have to formidable weaponry albeit run game or passing game to diversify based on what the opposition defense gives us.....week to week 60/40, 40/60, etc and the uncanny ability to respond is what we need.....thinking Daboll is the right guy to do so....

8 minutes ago, wppete said:

What time is cut deadline today????

...4PM......PS signings start at 1PM tomorrow.................

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Would anyone be interested in kicking the tires on this?

Nope....

Games Receiving Rushing Total Yds      
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV

2016 24 WAS   18 2 0 6 2 66 33.0 0 57 1.0 33.0 33.3% 11.0               2 33.0 66 0 0 1
2017 25 WAS WR 18 16 14 78 35 502 14.3 6 52 2.2 31.4 44.9% 6.4 1 -14 0 -14 -14.0 -0.9 0.1 36 13.6 488 6 0 4
2018 26 WAS WR 18 15 12 78 44 532 12.1 2 32 2.9 35.5 56.4% 6.8               44 12.1 532 2 0 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TPS said:

@Doc  Sorry, I stand corrected--they don't count.

Crap! I'm all over the place here. I first read it as they don't but they do:

Practice squad players can be paid any amount by teams as an incentive to not sign to another team’s roster. The contracts do count towards the team’s salary cap

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/8/30/20840802/how-it-works-nfl-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-salary-and-more-redskins-nfl

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

l think the problem people are seeing is that allen..if anything overthrows alot do to his arm strength so having a tall jumpball reciever as a redzone threat seems like a skillset that would have value, maybe one of the young te can fill the role. you can only end around until the other team starts gameplanning for it.

shady getting cut seems like the darby trade. it seemed unneccessary in a sense. hes in a contract year so going to try his best to showcase.. and you seem to have upgraded the line. cole as the main security blanket? i guess yeldon has shown real skills and i guess gore still has a ton in the tank.

the bills have a track record (qb situation last year) of crossing thier fingers on positions that i think you should bite the bullet and overpay for so your not scrambling in season to figure out. may work out but i would stick with the proven commodity unless we are doing somthing with the savings to put us over the top THIS year.

I know what people are thinking. What they should be thinking is "is that really how our offense is built?" 

I don't agree with the Shady decision. I do think Duke was the 7th best receiver option though. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Nope....

Games Receiving Rushing Total Yds      
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV

2016 24 WAS   18 2 0 6 2 66 33.0 0 57 1.0 33.0 33.3% 11.0               2 33.0 66 0 0 1
2017 25 WAS WR 18 16 14 78 35 502 14.3 6 52 2.2 31.4 44.9% 6.4 1 -14 0 -14 -14.0 -0.9 0.1 36 13.6 488 6 0 4
2018 26 WAS WR 18 15 12 78 44 532 12.1 2 32 2.9 35.5 56.4% 6.8               44 12.1 532 2 0 4

LOL. If he can't make that team... look at their WR roster right now. It's nasty. 

23 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LMAO bud.....should we re-think some of our failed (COUGH) non-power school selections?....Beebe (Chadron State), Andre (Kutztown) or FredEx (Coe) for starters?...OR ...some of our selections from power schools, Spent Trent Edwards (Stanford), Patulski (Notre Dame), Cousineau (Ohio State), EJ ((FSU), etc?......they can come from Walmart, KMart, Taco Bell or Sears for all I care......SMH....

Actually, Cousineau was not bad, although not great either. He was a star in the CFL, being named Grey Cup MVP in 1979. He led the Cleveland Browns in tackles in 3 of his 4 seasons there, and had 4 interceptions in 1983 and was named second team all-NFL. He was considered so good that the Bills got a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for trading Cousineau to the Browns. The Bills used that 1st to draft Jim Kelly.

Edited by from_dunkirk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I know what people are thinking. What they should be thinking is "is that really how our offense is built?" 

I don't agree with the Shady decision. I do think Duke was the 7th best receiver option though. 

True. We have TEs that can make those contested catches and block (theoretically, at least) if we needed that. But you're right that it is not how our offense is built. 

The biggest disappointment about the Shady cut was how strongly the FO was endorsing him before and into training camp.  I feel like they could have been more neutral about him and have maybe created some mistrust within the locker room?

Clearly bringing in Gore, Yeldon, Singletary, showed they were concerned about McCoy, which I was happy to see.  But I was confused by how willing they were to continue talk him up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GaryPinC said:

The biggest disappointment about the Shady cut was how strongly the FO was endorsing him before and into training camp.  I feel like they could have been more neutral about him and have maybe created some mistrust within the locker room?

Clearly bringing in Gore, Yeldon, Singletary, showed they were concerned about McCoy, which I was happy to see.  But I was confused by how willing they were to continue talk him up.

i could be wrong but the few articles i saw were Shady talking himself up

Just now, GaryPinC said:

Teams are certainly more privy to what's going on behind the scenes versus what the media is told. If Shady wasn't buying in, the team knows that even if we don't. 

Plus, after trading Sammy and Darby, benching Tyrod, etc. none of this comes as a shock. And yet the team overall still feels very all-in and like a family so McDermott is doing his job. Not worried about mistrust.

Since Duke Williams is an accomplished blocker how about placing him on the PS (if possible) and encourage him to gain muscle in order to convert him to a TE? The great TE's can catch and block. He can do both but is just a little small.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

IIRC, that was all before training camp.  I don't believe the FO or coaching staff has said anything since July...

17 minutes ago, klos63 said:

That's a lot of WR's to have on the roster. You hate to cut talent, but when would the 6th, 7th or 8th WR even see the field. It's a waste of valuable roster spots.

I think 7 is fine as long as you have the right 7. If Duke was one of the 7, I would have been fine with it 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Beane just got done talking to media...says the McCoy release was last minute and only made after they felt Singletary was ready..they tried trading him but no-one wanted him..they decided to let him go so he could pick his own new team

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I don't get the Duke Williams cut.  No way he clears waivers.  

Shady makes sense at 6.1 million cap hit and Singletary has played well.  So has Gore—who is also great in pass protection.   

Williams is puzzling.  Getting rid of a big redzone target is not a way to help a young qb. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

But that can work both ways in that other teammates see this guy isn't producing, why is he still here?  Like the jokes about Vlad having bad pics of Beane so he kept his job.

It's no different that most work environments. "Hey boss I heard there may be a layoff?" "Nope no truth to that rumor"   Next day, layoffs announced.  My point being players get it.  And also maybe he wasn't the locker room leader that he tended to be made out to be.

im thinking we may have avoided a distraction by cutting him also. he is used to being The Guy and with his decline and less touches im  thinking he would have been frustrated and outspoken at times. plus all the "shady" off the field stuff also

• Like (+1) 3