Wyatt Teller traded to Browns

aristocrat

6 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Pretty cool that instead of just cutting guys, we get draft picks for them.

Remember when we used to be the desperate team on the other end of this deal? The team willing to pay for the scraps from more talented teams? Looking to fill holes with guys who couldn’t cut it elsewhere? 

(Not that the Browns are devoid of talent, but they have some holes. We used to be mostly holes it seemed!) 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

Looks like Mom had some inside info... (gives credence to the craziness coming from Zay's family perhaps?)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe her text implies she doesn't have inside info at all.  How do I deduce this?  "I may not have all the facts"...

32 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I literally just said this to a co-worker... 2 picks for a guy that was going to get cut, or at best be lowest on the depth chart? I'll take it.

Reminds me of the time he got a pick for Newhouse. I don't know how the hell Beane pulls this crap off.

I told you last year buddy, he's a damn Sith Lord or a Jedi!

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Who's Zed?

Zed's dead

We're probably going to wind up with a 20-page thread about the trade of a 2nd year 5th round LG who never really made a dent in the NFL as a Buffalo Bill.

You gotta love Bills fans.

As soon as Bates came in without any practice and looked competent at C -- with versatility to play all positions on the line -- all of the also-rans on Buffalo's roster should have been worried.

This trade also signals to me that they aren't worried about Spain being ready for the opener.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, eball said:

We're probably going to wind up with a 20-page thread about the trade of a 2nd year 5th round LG who never really made a dent in the NFL as a Buffalo Bill.

As soon as Bates came in without any practice and looked competent at C -- with versatility to play all positions on the line -- all of the also-rans on Buffalo's roster should have been worried.

This trade also signals to me that they aren't worried about Spain being ready for the opener.

Great post, and I think you're exactly right on both of your last points. Bates made this trade possible and offers versatility that Teller did not. Spain will be ready for the opener.

Oh, and one more thing: the way that Beane is able to recoup draft picks for players that weren't in the Bills' future plans anyway has been masterful thus far in his tenure as GM. Another feather in his cap, this.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, eball said:

Based on what they got in return, I don’t think you could classify him as an “also ran.”

I think this mean shows where we are headed with the OL. Ford is the RG and Nsekhe is the RT. Nsekhe gets hurt, Ford bumps out to RT.

Dawkins gets hurt, Nsekhe to LT, Ford to RT. The real question is who is the first guard, Feliciano or Long off the bench

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah. It is a good trade. Got a 5th and 6th next year for a player buried on depth chart (was drafted for a 5th). 

So so we got better value than where he was drafted. And he wasn’t making the team so smart Trade. 

People keep saying this and skipping one part of the trade, as leaving it out makes the return look better.

They didn't just trade Teller, they traded Teller and a 7th for that 5th and 6th. So you could call it Teller for a 5th as well as the difference between a 6th and a 7th, which is damn little, but not nothing.

IMO it comes down to their belief that they were going to cut him and weren't confident they could get him back for the practice squad. I think they'd have loved to get him back, but weren't sure it would be possible.

It's an interesting trade. Reasonable for both sides.

Great trade. Guy is a 2-3 string at best. He’s a stand and block guy that can do good against inferior defensive tackles. his stats this preseason show no pressures given up. He played against mostly guys that won’t even be on a team. 

Beane tricked the Browns into 5th and 6th picks. Which means he is going to most likely start for them. Poor Browns. Good for us. 

Edited by Orlando Nick

5 minutes ago, TPS said:

You don’t trade a 5th and 6th for someone who isn’t viewed as a starter at G. 

They have no one close to starter level right now to play RG. At least teller has started games, Browns were desperate. Shouldn’t have traded zeitler 

• Like (+1) 1

A cut Saturday now a 5th and 7th.  Goes to show the improved interior lineman play.  He was the best interior lineman on the roster a year ago.  Looks like Dawkins will be the only lineman on the roster from a year ago.

I liked Teller and thought he was a good, young developmental lineman.  That said, the quality of the roster is such that capable players are going to be cut this year, so if Teller was going to be cut, better to get something in exchange for him.  I guess I have to trust Bills management.  Their roster moves in the last couple of years seemed to have worked out in our favor.  I was disappointed when they traded Watkins and Darby (obviously much higher-profile moves than this one), but those moves proved to work out well for us, so I will go on faith that this one will work out too.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, eball said:

Interesting how?

Interesting because we are giving them a player that could potentially help them against us. Although in this case it's negligible.

• Haha (+1) 1

I think that something that shouldn't be overlooked here is that good NFL rosters are never stagnant... Could Teller have been a decent guard to develop? Probably. But you don't get far in the League by holding onto developmental guys and continuing to try to get them to work. We did this for so many years during the drought. You see what they can offer you this year, and if it's not much, and the risk of losing value by getting rid of them is minimal, you do it. You especially do it when you get value for it. There will likely be a Wyatt Teller type player in the 5th next year, and there might even be a Matt Milano. 

• Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I literally just said this to a co-worker... 2 picks for a guy that was going to get cut, or at best be lowest on the depth chart? I'll take it.

Reminds me of the time he got a pick for Newhouse. I don't know how the hell Beane pulls this crap off.

Newhouse had skills in right scheme. He played well enough for Packers in two seasons when he played LT.