Luck retiring

Sorry if this has already been posted (this thread is way too long already), but:

1. Has there been another retirement of a player in his prime as significant as this? Perhaps Barry Sanders? Or Michael Jordan in the NBA?

2. Does this make Houston the favorite in the AFC South?

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s made 97 mill, has 1st kid on the way. It’s not what football fans want to see but... 

I hate it. Honestly it made my head spin to read it because he’s so good, and so valuable, and now he’s gone. It’s a blow to the sport of football in general, but I respect his decision and wish him the best. 

2 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

Sorry if this has already been posted (this thread is way too long already), but:

1. Has there been another retirement of a player in his prime as significant as this? Perhaps Barry Sanders? Or Michael Jordan in the NBA?

Patrick Willis was in his 20’s and arguably the best MLB in the game when he unexpectedly hung it up 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I’m surprised, but not really.  The guy has been dinged up almost every year and is turning 30.  He’s got plenty of money.  

While I get loving football and it being all you know, there’s also waking up in pain every day.  There’s wondering if you’ll be able to play with your kids without it killing you.  

It sucks for the Colts, yes.  But I get it.  

Besides, they will be terrible enough to get a top 5 pick and there are decent QB’s next year. 

Agree!!!

Everyone is shocked as if he couldn’t possibly not love football as much as they think he should.

He’s a smart, introspective, honest guy. He’s also rich beyond my wildest dreams of avarice. I’m pushing 50 and have a bad SI joint and it sucks. I can’t imagine the pain your average NFL player lives with post career.

Good for him.

Finally, Eff the Colts and their fans. They are an AFC rival and one less team for us to have to contend with for a playoff spot. Maybe Brady will follow suit?

2 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

Jim Brown

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, whatdrought said:

I hate it. Honestly it made my head spin to read it because he’s so good, and so valuable, and now he’s gone. It’s a blow to the sport of football in general, but I respect his decision and wish him the best. 

Anyone who has felt extreme stress mentally, physically or both at work knows how he feels. Now imagine if money was no factor, you and your future generations were set for life. He’s doing what will make him happy instead of kill him with stress. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I agree. I’m all confused. He’s such a likable guy and such a unique arm talent I feel sorta cheated as a fan, but it’s a respectable move. He’s obviously been in a serious amount of physical and mental pain. To the point where the money and fame aren’t enough to take care of it.... which for me would have to be A LOT. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Jim Brown

Forgot about that one!

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Patrick Willis was in his 20’s and arguably the best MLB in the game when he unexpectedly hung it up 

Another one! I don't know if he was as significant as Luck, but he was good.

24 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

didn't tank , Peyton was that good.

They definitely were calling off the dogs that year to make sure they got Luck. Which at the time was understandable. It’s just funny how they never got anything really out of luck and now he’s gone. Yet they were so quick to move on from manning who ended up playing in 2 more Super Bowls and winning 1.

11 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Thats a grownass man decision right there... when you’ve only ever been one thing in your life, and that’s all anyone wants you to be, and that’s what your best at, to be able to stop doing that for the good of your physical, mental, and emotional health as well as for the good of your family, that takes guts. 

Millions of dollars probably helps one come to a decision like that. Lot's of people change their lives in a similar fashion on a daily basis but are not millionaires and don't get press conferences. 

I suspect the answer is no, but I'll throw it out there:

Does Andrew Luck make the Hall of Fame based on his current stats?

According to @Augie's post of a tweet above:

"Luck is ranked 2nd all-time in passing yards per game (275.2) behind only Drew Brees (282.0). He's 84th in all-time passing yards and 68th in passing TDs."

[BTW, how do I tag another user, like I tried to above??]

Edited by from_dunkirk

2 minutes ago, Element115 said:

Millions of dollars probably helps one come to a decision like that. Lot's of people change their lives in a similar fashion on a daily basis but are not millionaires and don't get press conferences. 

Few things-

1- for every million he’s made, he’s leaving 5 for the taking.

2- the publicity of this just increases the difficulty of it. He’s Andrew Luck, NFL QB. That’s his identity, and now he’s re-building himself.

3- I have the same respect for the blue/white collar worker who changes jobs or whatever when he realizes his current situation is strangling the life out of him, we just don’t have threads dedicated to those guys. ?

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Jim Brown

Jim Brown was a running back and had already played nine seasons in the NFL.  His days were numbered.  Luck has (had) perhaps a dozen more years left in his NFL career.

24 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

I suspect the answer is no, but I'll throw it out there:

Does Andrew Luck make the Hall of Fame based on his current stats?

NFW

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t make his way back to the league in the next few years 

Nope.  Can't see it.    He's a smart, thoughtful guy and football is a a brutal, brutal sport that eats its own.    He'll walk away and never look back...

• Like (+1) 1

Chad Kelly has been a lifelong a-hole. I don't care that he is Jim Kelly's nephew. I would sooner root for Nathan Peterman, and I don't care about him either.

In his interview, Luck sounds like he knew this was coming for awhile. His talk about his next steps being clear to him, etc. sound very odd.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I agree. I’m all confused. He’s such a likable guy and such a unique arm talent I feel sorta cheated as a fan, but it’s a respectable move. He’s obviously been in a serious amount of physical and mental pain. To the point where the money and fame aren’t enough to take care of it.... which for me would have to be A LOT. 

I know its nowhere near the impact of Luck's decision but its why i gave up my shot at playing at least semi-pro soccer in my early 20s...constant nagging injuries just ended up dragging me down and made the sport no fun... I would spend so much time working and rehabbing from soft tissue injuries only to have them reoccur or a new one occur. 3 or 4 weeks of hard rehab to get back for a game or 2 just stopped making sense after a while...

Luck going on 4 years of this i can definitely understand...i only could deal with 2 years of it...granted it was only college soccer and i wasn't walking away from millions of dollars but thats why i respect it even more...Luck could have milked them for money knowing he would never be fully healthy again and he didn't...

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I know its nowhere near the impact of Luck's decision but its why i gave up my shot at playing at least semi-pro soccer in my early 20s...constant nagging injuries just ended up dragging me down and made the sport no fun... I would spend so much time working and rehabbing from soft tissue injuries only to have them reoccur or a new one occur. 3 or 4 weeks of hard rehab to get back for a game or 2 just stopped making sense after a while...

Luck going on 4 years of this i can definitely understand...i only could deal with 2 years of it...granted it was only college soccer and i wasn't walking away from millions of dollars but thats why i respect it even more...Luck could have milked them for money knowing he would never be fully healthy again and he didn't...

Funny you mention this. I own and operate a fitness facility in a small town in northwest PA. I have a friend/member there that started 40+ games, from his redshirt freshman season to his senior year, for Kent state at guard and tackle. In fact he blocked for Julian Edelman when edelman was a qb his junior and senior seasons.... he ended up going  undrafted but got calls from the browns, Steelers and lions to attend camps as an UDFA. When he told me he turned those offers down I looked at him like he was nuts. He then went on to tell me he was so mentally done with the game from multiple surgeries and constant joint pain(he’s still suffering with today at 34) that he just was completely fed up. To the point where it was time to put away the dream he had worked for basically his whole life. 

I respect lucks decision. He’s earned it 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

As surprising as it may seem, it's not that hard to understand.

More & more players are retiring young, players with many years of good football left ahead of them. They don't feel the stress, the pain, the risk of life altering injuries, the surgeries, etc. are worth it.

Better to leave with your health & faculties in tact then to go out with numerous more concussions & a deteriorated body that'll cause you anguish for the rest of your life.

It's sad to see, but Luck has gone through hell the past several years. He seems to always be working his way back from some injury, and I'm sure the pressure to get on the field is enormous. At some point he probably realized this is not what he wants to look forward to for the next decade...more & more of that, which will inevitably become more & more difficult each time.

Hope he can now finally recover & enjoy his life, and is successful with whatever he chooses to pursue next.

44 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

Chad Kelly has been a lifelong a-hole. I don't care that he is Jim Kelly's nephew. I would sooner root for Nathan Peterman, and I don't care about him either.

In his interview, Luck sounds like he knew this was coming for awhile. His talk about his next steps being clear to him, etc. sound very odd.

In the PC he indicated that "this" all started again 2 or 3 weeks ago.  Not really a long time.

"this" meaning the continued cycle of injury/pain/rehab and how he found himself back where he was 2016, despite telling himself he didn't want to be there ever again.

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

In the PC he indicated that "this" all started again 2 or 3 weeks ago.  Not really a long time.

"this" meaning the continued cycle of injury/pain/rehab and how he found himself back where he was 2016, despite telling himself he didn't want to be there ever again.

I guess what I posted was worthy of a challenge, however nitpicky...but him saying "this" started 2 or 3 weeks ago doesn't necessarily mean he hasn't been seriously considering it, or making other plans prior to that. He was pretty unemotional (unlike most early retiree's), so it makes me consider that he may have been contemplating this for more than a few weeks.

Edited by OJ Tom

Honestly would love to see him return, but ultimately wish him well in life. He seems like an excellent dude, and this may be the best decision for his future. Still......I kind of hate to see him exit the league this way. It doesn't "feel" like he's going out on his own terms. He seems a little confused at times and I think it's likely that a year off will change his perspective. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

As surprising as it may seem, it's not that hard to understand.

More & more players are retiring young, players with many years of good football left ahead of them. They don't feel the stress, the pain, the risk of life altering injuries, the surgeries, etc. are worth it.

Better to leave with your health & faculties in tact then to go out with numerous more concussions & a deteriorated body that'll cause you anguish for the rest of your life.

It's sad to see, but Luck has gone through hell the past several years. He seems to always be working his way back from some injury, and I'm sure the pressure to get on the field is enormous. At some point he probably realized this is not what he wants to look forward to for the next decade...more & more of that, which will inevitably become more & more difficult each time.

Hope he can now finally recover & enjoy his life, and is successful with whatever he chooses to pursue next.

He is clearly hinting that he has been going through some type of depression, or something like that, associated with major injury and sustained, long term rehab.  

He caught himself going down that path a couple of weeks ago yet again, despite telling himself he wouldn't allow it to happen again.  

He was saying how it prevented him from enjoying/living the life he wanted to live, or however he put it in the PC.

A different player may well have reacted differently to the exact same set of circumstances in the same body of the same age...but this is how Andrew wanted to do it.

1 minute ago, OJ Tom said:

I guess what I posted was worthy of a challenge...but him saying "this" started 2 or 3 weeks ago doesn't necessarily mean he hasn't been seriously considering it, or making other plans for awhile.

Oh sure, that is possible.  As I just wrote, he clearly went through some type of depression or sustained "funk" in 2016.  And it does sound like at that time, he said "never again!"  When he found himself going 'there' again, a few weeks ago, he probably started to think about retiring.

This decision would have been extremely hard for him to make, I'm sure.  It's not easy! 

The easy thing to do would have been to keep playing.

• Like (+1) 1