Mass shooting at El Paso Walmart/and also Dayton OH

Damn. Keep your head on a swivel while shopping for those groceries and other whatnots....

Very sad...

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/police-el-paso-issue-report-active-shooter-173500204--abc-news-topstories.html

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/active-shooter-incident-being-investigated-dayton-ohio-police-075400231--abc-news-topstories.html

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

32 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

So goes life today. 20 years ago this would have stopped everyone in their tracks. Now it's barely a blip on the radar.

I hear you. We had Whitman in 1966, Huberty in the 80's and now it seems like every week we have a new shooter. I remember those two names but none of the others.

1 hour ago, The Plastic Cup said:

Very sad.

I wonder how the media was able to so quickly ascertain they were primarily “back to school” shoppers.

I'm sure a lot of them were. A low-level Walmart employee would be able to notice the difference in the customer demographics.

It's this sentence that doesn't make sense: "...and what authorities have preliminarily estimated to be between 1,000 and 3,000 Saturday morning back-to-school shoppers." It just put the back-to-school-shopper label on everyone in there.

We're kinda nit-picking a basic news story at this point, though.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm sure a lot of them were. A low-level Walmart employee would be able to notice the difference in the customer demographics.

It's this sentence that doesn't make sense: "...and what authorities have preliminarily estimated to be between 1,000 and 3,000 Saturday morning back-to-school shoppers." It just put the back-to-school-shopper label on everyone in there.

I’m guessing a certain % of them were too, but is that all it takes to be included in the first paragraph of the story these days?

Apparently a mass murder isn’t moving enough (read:  won’t attract enough clicks) unless you can create an image of happy families shopping for backpacks and notebooks.

And yes, 1000-3000 is a little broad!

2 minutes ago, The Plastic Cup said:

I’m guessing a certain % of them were too, but is that all it takes to be included in the first paragraph of the story these days?

Apparently a mass murder isn’t moving enough (read:  won’t attract enough clicks) unless you can create an image of happy families shopping for backpacks and notebooks.

And yes, 1000-3000 is a little broad!

Well, a journalist is supposed to paint a picture. Journalists want to draw people into the story and add emotional details. Of course, it should all be factual.

The sentence I pointed out is an issue because it's very very likely a false statement.

The headline is what generates clicks, though, and that headline does not include "back to school shoppers"

JC!  The whole county is worse than Chicago!

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

e0986eb05353ccec0c98b95efab3e60d.jpg

There isn't a news article about Dayton yet, but in the past several hours, 75 Americans have now been hit by bullets of domestic terrorism in Texas and Ohio.

What's it gonna take? A live stream? It happening on live TV so people actually feel it?

Who's next? My daughter?

How many people have to die?

Before you leave your house, I guess you have to actively weigh the risk of possibly having your head blown off and ask yourself if it's worth it.

292 mass shootings in the USA this year alone. And yet the NRA continues to buy politicians, and selfish Americans continue to cling to their "right" to hold guns designed to maximize kill rates.

I love my country, but individualism is destroying us. We need to care about our neighbors.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

There isn't a news article about Dayton yet, but in the past several hours, 75 Americans have now been hit by bullets of domestic terrorism in Texas and Ohio.

What's it gonna take? A live stream? It happening on live TV so people actually feel it?

Who's next? My daughter?

Before you leave your house, I guess you have to actively weigh the risk of possibly having your head blown off and ask yourself if it's worth it.

292 mass shootings in the USA this year alone. And yet the NRA continues to buy politicians, and selfish Americans continue to cling to their "right" to hold guns designed to maximize kill rates.

I love my country, but individualism is destroying us. We need to care about our neighbors.

Damn, didn't know about the Ohio shootings until now. Just woke up good and saw what you were talking about. It's a shame, your right though, makes you wonder who/where's next.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/active-shooter-incident-being-investigated-dayton-ohio-police-075400231--abc-news-topstories.html

....and yet ANOTHER....SMH...........

Dayton, Ohio, gunfire results in 10 deaths, including gunman; at least 16 wounded: police

By Dom Calicchio | Fox News

Ten people were killed early Sunday when gunfire broke out in Dayton, Ohio, according to police. The number of fatalities included the gunman, though how the unidentified shooter died was not immediately clear.

It was the nation's second mass shooting in less than 24 hours, after 20 people were slain in El Paso, Texas.

• Sad 2

17 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

TBH these have always been happening 

TBH, that statement, while true, is asinine. (IMO)

You may feel that the "standards" used are too lax, but Dayton makes it 250 for the year.  While there have always been "mass shootings" the numbers today are staggering.  Way too much hatred intolerance and entitlement.

Edited by Cripple Creek
more better good words used
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

TBH, that statement, while true, is asinine. (IMO)

You may feel that the "standards" used are too lax, but Dayton makes it 250 for the year.  While there have always been "mass shootings" the numbers today are staggering.  Way too much hatred.

More people in this world bring more crime. Simple as that. Same % of crazy people but just more of them in this world. 

You won't see this die down until something kills most of this human race. It is coming b.c either the earth will correct what we are doing by killing us or something else will do it.

19 minutes ago, stuvian said:

The USA is clearly at war with itself. Bring the troops home to make peace here

What's funny is in other countries this is a usual thing. 

17 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Makes you wonder where we’re going in this country.

You shouldn't have to wonder it has been going that way since we became a country.

4 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Who's next? My daughter?

That last paragraph is scary. 

Edited by Joe in Winslow

I'm in the taking guns away wont stop the killings crowd. I don't believe changing gun laws will stop a lunatic from killing you. if they want to kill and have no guns, they'll use explosives, knives, rope, gasoline or whatever means they find to kill you.

this will not change anytime soon, as a matter of fact I would bet it's going to get much, much worse. it's a society thing, not a gun thing. society through mainly social networking, media, news outlets, ect have corrupted this society in many ways and seems the minds of some are getting weaker and more vulnerable to violence and violent acts. some seem to just feed on it. also, the media has sensationalized these killers to the point that the demented mind wants attention and no better way to get it then to walk in to a walmart and blow away 20 people. had the kid not had a gun, he would of used bombs, either way, it was his intent to kill. no matter what was used he was killing people, regardless.

this wont end. it will get much worse. much, much worse.

you can't really take being safe anymore for granted and even a trip to walmart could prove to be the last thing you do on this earth.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 5

48 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I'm in the taking guns away wont stop the killings crowd. I don't believe changing gun laws will stop a lunatic from killing you. if they want to kill and have no guns, they'll use explosives, knives, rope, gasoline or whatever means they find to kill you.

this will not change anytime soon, as a matter of fact I would bet it's going to get much, much worse. it's a society thing, not a gun thing. society through mainly social networking, media, news outlets, ect have corrupted this society in many ways and seems the minds of some are getting weaker and more vulnerable to violence and violent acts. some seem to just feed on it. also, the media has sensationalized these killers to the point that the demented mind wants attention and no better way to get it then to walk in to a walmart and blow away 20 people. had the kid not had a gun, he would of used bombs, either way, it was his intent to kill. no matter what was used he was killing people, regardless.

this wont end. it will get much worse. much, much worse.

you can't really take being safe anymore for granted and even a trip to walmart could prove to be the last thing you do on this earth.

So let’s do nothing?  And of course if you want to kill someone you can use anything.  But guns make it a lot easier to kill a lot of people in a short period of time.  

Here’s a thought:  try something.  Ban anything more than a shotgun, rifle, or a pistol.  It’s not going to stop everything but at least it’s something.  And all those people who need those heavy duty weapons can join the military or police.  Thoughts and prayers do nothing.  I can’t believe we just accept this as normal.  

I wonder what what the response would be if the NRA building or NRA loving politicians conference gets shot up.  Maybe that’s what it will take to make some changes. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

The phrase "individualism is destroying us" doesn't scare you?

I think it's a poor choice of words by the OP based on the rest of his post.(this said by someone who himself often has difficulty coming up with the intended phrase)

People caring more about getting pics of events vs helping, that sort of thing.  

I tend to look at the whole and then try to decide meaning.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

So goes life today. 20 years ago this would have stopped everyone in their tracks. Now it's barely a blip on the radar.

15 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

I hear you. We had Whitman in 1966, Huberty in the 80's and now it seems like every week we have a new shooter. I remember those two names but none of the others.

This is always my first thought when these things happen; how commonplace it's become and how quickly we forget.

It's been 20 years since Columbine, but I still remember how it felt to learn the details and I still remember Klebold and Harris' names.

I cannot name another mass-shooter since then.  I find that saddening.  I'll leave it at that.

• Like (+1) 1

I was listening to a talk show on the radio in the car this morning and the one guy made an interesting point, we've always had evil and we've always had guns but we haven't always had violent shootem up video games. I could see that as an influence as to what's been going on the last 20 years but that's just my opinion. Kind of makes sense though.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, mead107 said:

https://www.thelily.com/1077-people-have-been-killed-in-mass-shootings-since-a-1966-incident-at-the-university-of-texas/

how can you stop nut cases.  

In this day and age you can’t say anything about anybody or group with out offending someone or group of people. 

Sad world. 

I'm going to preface this comment by saying that I am all for stricter gun laws and banning certain weapons completely.

But, in the grand scheme of things, this really isn't that many people.  If you consider a current US population of over 300M that is only 0.0003% (1 out of 333,000) of the population.  That figure is actually high though considering all the people that have come and gone since 1966.  These stories are tragic, no doubt, but they are so dramatic and sensationalized that their actual impact gets blown way out of proportion IMO. 

Edited by Mark80

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

This is always my first thought when these things happen; how commonplace it's become and how quickly we forget.

It's been 20 years since Columbine, but I still remember how it felt to learn the details and I still remember Klebold and Harris' names.

I cannot name another mass-shooter since then.  I find that saddening.  I'll leave it at that.

I forgot Columbine yesterday, perhaps one of the more horrific. Going to have to Google the name of the guy who shot up Las Vegas. It is sad...these events have taken on an almost trivial backseat. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

It's been about 35 years since San Ysidro.

And 80 or so since Bath.

This isn't all that new.  Wall-to-wall reporting is.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

It's been about 35 years since San Ysidro.

And 80 or so since Bath.

This isn't all that new.  Wall-to-wall reporting is.

The frequency is new.

The, "oh, darn, another one," feeling is new.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Gugny said:

The frequency is new.

Prove it.  Use math.  And a consistent definition of "mass shooting."

Just now, Gugny said:

The, "oh, darn, another one," feeling is new.

Do you not remember being afraid to go to the post office in the '80s?

45 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

I'm going to preface this comment by saying that I am all for stricter gun laws and banning certain weapons completely.

But, in the grand scheme of things, this really isn't that many people.  If you consider a current US population of over 300M that is only 0.0003% (1 out of 333,000) of the population.  That figure is actually high though considering all the people that have come and gone since 1966.  These stories are tragic, no doubt, but they are so dramatic and sensationalized that their actual impact gets blown way out of proportion IMO. 

In many ways what you say is true, however what stories are "blown way out of proportion" is also in the eyes of the beholder.

The 2 polar opposite politically motivated groups have completely different opinions and responses concerning one of these tragedies

depending on the perpetrator.  If the motivation of the "terrorist" is either a "White extremist" or a "Muslim extremist" has taken on more

importance in this country as to our personal response over the fact that both are terrorists acting against America.

In the past few decades this country is locked in a struggle over ever increasing party extremism deployed to "energize the base" and

until citizens demand a better representation for both sides I'm afraid this will only continue to increase.

Personally what I find shocking is, as a truly moderate compromising independent I find myself at odds with both sides as they with me.

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Prove it.  Use math.  And a consistent definition of "mass shooting."

Do you not remember being afraid to go to the post office in the '80s?

I remember when "going postal," became a term, yes.

This is one list of shootings that I found after a quick google search.  https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mass-shootings-mother-jones-full-data/

According to this data:

From 2000-2009, there were 20 mass shootings.

From 2010 - today, there have been 63.

I think that's a 300% increase from one decade to the next.

Anyone who pays attention knows that mass shootings have been on the rise.

• Awesome! (+1) 1