Mass shooting at El Paso Walmart/and also Dayton OH

3 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Mass Shootings make headlines 

total number killed is small compared to number of people that die every day because of motor vehicles each and every day. 

Maybe we should ban cars before we ban guns.  

https://m.driving-tests.org/driving-statistics/

Just saying.  

I don’t like these mass shootings at all. 

I suppose it is the shock value of what an individual human being is capable of...the violence directed at others. Fascinating but no longer a shock.

Edited by Rocket94

14 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

In many ways what you say is true, however what stories are "blown way out of proportion" is also in the eyes of the beholder.

The 2 polar opposite politically motivated groups have completely different opinions and responses concerning one of these tragedies

depending on the perpetrator.  If the motivation of the "terrorist" is either a "White extremist" or a "Muslim extremist" has taken on more

importance in this country as to our personal response over the fact that both are terrorists acting against America.

In the past few decades this country is locked in a struggle over ever increasing party extremism deployed to "energize the base" and

until citizens demand a better representation for both sides I'm afraid this will only continue to increase.

Personally what I find shocking is, as a truly moderate compromising independent I find myself at odds with both sides as they with me.

:beer: 

The establishment media and ruling class (which crosses the aisle politically) want us divided. They want to fan the flames of division, partisanship, and social friction as much as they possibly can. The more divided we are, the more we fight with one another and the less we hold them, the establishment, to account.

The wall-to-wall media coverage, which focuses on creating more conflict rather than honest journalism (chase those ratings!), creates partisan barriers which prevent citizens from all sides of the political compass from coming together to have an honest discussion about the numerous causes of such tragedies and working together to find a solution. If we were to come together as a people, it would end the establishment's hold on power. 

And they can't have that. 

They'd rather watch hundreds if not thousands of us kill one another (preferably in front of their cameras) than actually work to solve the issue. Which is why they push constant division after tragic events like this, never honest discussions.

Divide and conquer. 

The oldest tricks are the best tricks because they work.

Edited by Deranged Rhino
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, mead107 said:

total number killed is small compared to number of people that die every day because of motor vehicles each and every day. 

Just saying.  

Cars aren't a great analogy. First we have to pass a test to prove we can safely operate a vehicle and second we have police all over the roads giving out fines for unsafe practices.

Also you have to register vehicles.

Edited by Warcodered

13 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The establishment media and ruling class (which crosses the aisle politically) want us divided. They want to fan the flames of division, partisanship, and social friction as much as they possibly can. The more divided we are, the more we fight with one another and the less we hold them, the establishment, to account.

The wall-to-wall media coverage, which focuses on creating more conflict rather than honest journalism (chase those ratings!), creates partisan barriers which prevent citizens from all sides of the political compass from coming together to have an honest discussion about the numerous causes of such tragedies and working together to find a solution. If we were to come together as a people, it would end the establishment's hold on power. 

They'd rather watch hundreds if not thousands of us kill one another (preferably in front of their cameras) than actually work to solve the issue. Which is why they push constant division after tragic events like this, never honest discussions.

Divide and conquer. 

Media has always been a tool of the powerful and always will be.  

It's up to the citizens to sort through the propaganda, from all sides.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Just saying.  

Yes and heart disease kills more than anybody in America

Let's ban hearts!

Edited by Buffalo716

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

"Individualism is destroying us."

That should be scary to ANY American.

Exactly.  Individualism is not the problem.  Guns are not the problem.  If more people kept this in mind: "love your neighbor as yourself" none of this would happen.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Divide and conquer. 

Explains why they all went apoplectic when a guy who wasn’t beholden to their rules beat the ultimate establishment candidate in the last election.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Cars aren't a great analogy. First we have to pass a test to prove we can safely operate a vehicle and second we have police all over the roads giving out fines for unsafe practices.

Also you have to register vehicles.

Did you read how many people die from stupid people driving cars. 

TO drunk

TEXTING 

NOT PAYING ATTENTION 

that person may only kill 1-6 or more people but he didn’t use a gun.  

Just because you take a test still doesn’t make people smart. 

33 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes and heart disease kills more than anybody in America

Let's ban hearts!

How about drugs ? 

How about cancer ?

how about old age?

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So let’s do nothing?  And of course if you want to kill someone you can use anything.  But guns make it a lot easier to kill a lot of people in a short period of time.  

Here’s a thought:  try something.  Ban anything more than a shotgun, rifle, or a pistol.  It’s not going to stop everything but at least it’s something.  And all those people who need those heavy duty weapons can join the military or police.  Thoughts and prayers do nothing.  I can’t believe we just accept this as normal.  

I wonder what what the response would be if the NRA building or NRA loving politicians conference gets shot up.  Maybe that’s what it will take to make some changes. 

... this is pretty much what is banned now. What do you think people are out there killing with, grenade launchers? An AR-15 is a rifle. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Did you read how many people die from stupid people driving cars. 

TO drunk

TEXTING 

NOT PAYING ATTENTION 

that person may only kill 1-6 or more people but he didn’t use a gun.  

Just because you take a test still doesn’t make people smart. 

How about drugs ? 

How about cancer ?

how about old age?

Bacteria kills millions!

Ban fungi!

2 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

... this is pretty much what is banned now. What do you think people are out there killing with, grenade launchers? An AR-15 is a rifle. 

And one of the least used weapons to commit murder with. Knives and hammers kill more people than ar-15s and similar variants.

20 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

"Individualism is destroying us."

That should be scary to ANY American.

14 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Exactly.  Individualism is not the problem.  Guns are not the problem.  If more people kept this in mind: "love your neighbor as yourself" none of this would happen.

As I said upthread, nothing in that post gives me the feeling that the one word you are both objecting to is what the OP actually meant.  

Feigned outrage has no borders or political affiliation. 

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Well, other than in this thread.

Tell you what, I'll surrender my second amendment rights when you surrender your first amendment rights. Deal?

Oh, goodness. I have not asked anyone to surrender anything and I'm not sure anyone else has (until now).