Bills Training Camp Day 5 - 7/30

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

Levi was undrafted....that is real gold

That’s one of the things that made me such a fan of McDermott in Carolina (starting with that 2013 defense, or really, the 2nd half of 2012). 

He always seemed to be developing later round + undrafted players and putting them into a position to succeed, a lot of times right away (like 2013, they had 3-5 rookies on the field at times on defense and they were the best defense in the NFL).

Same with some of the lower tier free agents they’d sign.

He just seemed to find ways to get the most out of his players. IMO that’s one of the marks of a good coach. 

Heres a good article on McDermott that 2013 Carolina defense - 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9992021/carolina-panthers-stellar-defense-blast-past

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A pair of explosive defensive ends who wreak havoc on quarterbacks. Quick, disruptive defensive tackles who are a blend of experience and youth. A middle linebacker arguably playing at a level higher than anybody else at his position. A secondary without any big-name stars.

This looks oh-so familiar.

People outside of Charlotte can probably name just as many members of the 2003 secondary as they can this unit -- zero.

"This Carolina defense, in some regards, is one of the best defensive coaching jobs I've seen," said former Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden, a color analyst for ESPN's "Monday Night Football."

"There's some similarities," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. "They're really disciplined, they're sound. There's not many plays where you feel like, 'Well, this will be an easy 10 yards here, or an easy 15 yards here.'"

The architect

Cornerback Captain Munnerlyn laughed when asked to describe defensive coordinator Sean McDermott.

He methodically has added pieces to take Carolina from 28th in defense in 2011 to 10th a year ago to the Panthers' current status in which they are ranked in the top five in almost every statistical category.

"Sean McDermott deserves a lot of credit," Gruden said

The simplicity of the defense is the beauty of it, which also was the case in 2003. It doesn't rely on a superstar to make a huge impact. Three different Panthers have been named the NFC Defensive Player of the Week: Hardy against the Giants, Davis against Minnesota and Kuechly.

At key times there are three to five rookies on the field.

"There's a lot of no-name players out there," Gruden said.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

That’s one of the things that made me such a fan of McDermott in Carolina (starting with that 2013 defense, or really, the 2nd half of 2012). 

He always seemed to be developing later round + undrafted players and putting them into a position to succeed, a lot of times right away (like 2013, they had 3-5 rookies on the field at times on defense and they were the best defense in the NFL).

Same with some of the lower tier free agents they’d sign.

He just seemed to find ways to get the most out of his players. IMO that’s one of the marks of a good coach. 

Heres a good article on McDermott that 2013 Carolina defense - 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9992021/carolina-panthers-stellar-defense-blast-past

I am also excited about the potential to have cheaper players (including draft capital) at these type of positions but he has spent a lot of capital on the defense thus far.  I get the why for it but going forward the offense is gonna need to continue to get playmakers.  On the plus side I heard next year is supposed to be a great draft of WR.

2 hours ago, Cash said:

But isn't that just basically the nickel D we ran in passing situations alot last year?  Edmunds and Milano as LBs, Hughes and Murphy as DEs, and Oliver and Alexander as DTs?  I know we played Alexander at DT in pass rush situations a lot last year.  Not sure why Sal C was so blown away to see it again.

They certainly played it some last year (though less with Murphy as he was always hurt). But Kyle and Zo at DT in 3rd and long was something we saw last year. As I said earlier not got the %s in front of me but it was definitely one of their pass rush formations. 

10 minutes ago, mrags said:

Hopefully tremaine isn’t listening to any of his advice. Unless he wants to be a broke ex ball player that begged for money from the fans after he blew millions of dollars on coke, women, and mink coats. 

I don’t remember Talley begging for money.

IIRC Wasn't it TBD’s own @ChevyVanMiller who stared the GoFundMe for him?

and Talley was great on the field. I am sure he has plenty to offer Edmunds in that regard. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

why don't they just hire Kyle as a coach?  

My guess is that he’d rather be on tv.  He meant for a tv gig.  He’s already waaaay better than most of those schlubs

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I’m a realist = ?

Go Bills!!!

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s Captain Dareus to you. Peak Marcel: getting popped for a 4 game suspension, announcing publically at the stadium before a preseason game that he’s going to rehab, showing up hours later on Chippewa in the same outfit, giant stomach and captain’s hat partying until the wee hours. 

“Oh did I say rehab? I meant me-flab.”

You gotta get that last one in before rehab starts. Don't you know nothing?

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Call me Foolish.  

‘Sup Gug?

6 hours ago, JoeF said:

I hope a guard can put a safety on his ass downfield.  Kinda of table stakes for a guard.    Wait--Matt tweeted the word "ass"....?

A guard getting his hands on a safety is something. Good for him!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

I am also excited about the potential to have cheaper players (including draft capital) at these type of positions but he has spent a lot of capital on the defense thus far.  I get the why for it but going forward the offense is gonna need to continue to get playmakers.  On the plus side I heard next year is supposed to be a great draft of WR.

I believe we will see high draft picks on offense next year.  Maybe even a top tier free agent player on offense.

• Like (+1) 1

Just watched the Frazier presser. When he starts talking about young linebackers the name he goes to rather than draft pick Vosean Joseph was Tyrel Dodson. The kid is still here because he has a real chance to make this football team. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, MR8 said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Nothing jumps out to me. Appears to be no bracing, no movement abnormalities, no compensations. May get more info from running assessment or other specific drills. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Bills</a> <a href="https://t.co/mIv9GBs4rP">https://t.co/mIv9GBs4rP</a></p>&mdash; Banged Up Bills (@BangedUpBills) <a href="https://twitter.com/BangedUpBills/status/1156209063581159429?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 30, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

hmmm that didn't work.... tips on embedding tweets?

On a computer:

Click on the down arrow to the right top as you look at the tweet

Select "Copy Link To Tweet"

In the post where you want to place the tweet, Ctrl V

A dark line will pop up.  Select "Paste as plain text instead"

For mobile, you need someone else.

https://twitter.com/BangedUpBills/status/1156209063581159429

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Call me Foolish. That’s exactly what I think not practicing with alternating Guards on your new team on a 3rd Straight “day off” defines. 

He's just coming back from the core surgery.  He's old enough that he's gonna be at his most sore 2 days after heavy exertion.  Makes sense to give him 3 recovery days so that they can assess whether there's any pain indicative of surgery healing probs. vs just general "gimp and feel like crap 2 days post serious level-up in exertion"

Query your kid mebbe?

8 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

He had surgery recently. No reason to rush him back and cause issues. 

Edit- Seems like he he hasn’t participated in padded practices. He’s probably not ready for contact yet

I would think, if it was just "not ready for contact" they would put him in a red jersey and have him out there for positional drills etc. but hold him out of team drills.

L3AYQDHXAZEDXK3BVXFITSXEDY.jpg

Bills training camp 2019: Tuesday practice closed to public, here’s what happened (Day 5 observations)

2. Josh Allen turns in another strong day

The first pass Allen threw during team drills came on a roll out to his right and it wasn’t really close to the targeted receiver.

The rain had already begun to fall and it probably slipped out of his hands. From that point on Allen looked dialed in. He was spreading the ball around and finding spaces in the defense to attack.

He found Zay Jones on a nice 10-yard ball to the right that fit in perfectly in a big gap in the defensive zone. Later he almost found John Brown on a 20-yard sideline ball that Brown couldn’t bring in (despite the accuracy of the pass) and then delivered a beautiful deep ball that went off the hands of receiver Robert Foster.

DCT63XI73VHBBISLPTPWFXUEEM.jpg

3. LeSean McCoy starting to round into form

Running back LeSean McCoy hasn’t made a ton of noise so far in camp but Tuesday he looked like he was feeling good. He had a couple nice runs and after one even said, “I got my legs today,” as he ran back to the sideline.

Veteran back Frank Gore and rookie Devin Singletary have both had strong camps and figure to be a big part of the Bills offense this season. But McCoy seems to still have juice left in the tank and looked healthy and quick on Tuesday.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 3

A quick check in on our 1st rounders from last year:

Allen didn’t look overwhelmed by the weather, continuing to throw the ball with strong velocity and decent placement throughout the morning. As has been common, he did have one blunder. This time, Allen had a pass batted at the line of scrimmage by Jordan Phillips. Matt Milano took advantage and snagged an interception that would have been a pick six.

Allen’s best throw of the day was a touch throw down the sideline to Zay Jones, a receiver who wasn’t heavily involved in the previous four practices. Allen’s traits that continue to stand out are his patience in the pocket and ability to make accurate throws to the intermediate areas of the field. We’ll see if this carries over into the preseason games.

The Bills have high hopes for their young middle linebacker, Tremaine Edmunds. It seems with every practice, Edmunds is providing the team with more evidence of how good he can become. Before practice kicked into high gear on Tuesday, linebackers coach Bob Babich wanted to make sure Edmunds and the rest of his group knew what level of intensity he was looking for. Babich proclaimed, “Today, we are thudding!” The term “thud” means he wants full contact, while stopping just short of tackling the player. Before Edmunds went into his first linebacker rep, Babich screamed, “Thud his ass!” to reinforce the message.

The 21-year-old starting middle linebacker took the advice and ran with it the rest of the day, covering lots of ground regardless of the offensive play call. Edmunds was quick to diagnose runs out wide and throws to the flat, often getting to the ball carrier for a stop or a pass breakup. Against the run, he’s getting better at seeing the blocks happening in front of him and meeting the ball carrier at the line of scrimmage. Those improvements were on full display Tuesday, but Edmunds isn’t all the way there yet. He needs to use his arm length to extend and get away from blocks better than he has over the last 12 months. He could also learn to use his hands more effectively, too.

I like the direction of this team a lot.