Prowbowl D-Lineman Released, Mike Daniels (Not sure if Bills would have Interest)

Pass, he wants to go to a Super Bowl contender (Doubt he would think we have a chance seeing as we missed the playoffs last year). We have too much money in the dts to pay another one. And finally you got to think something doesn't fit here. Why would the Packers just drop him and not trade him? You got think they could've got something in a trade for a probowl dt... My guess he did something that is going to lead to bad publicity for him and suspension. 

15 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Something has to have happened here.

This guy can play.

Daniels is coming off his worst season since he was a rookie, recording just 18 tackles and two sacks in 10 games. He missed the final six games due to a foot injury.

By cutting Daniels, Green Bay saved $8,312,500 under the cap with $2,400,000 in dead money, according to OverTheCap.com.

A seven-year veteran, Daniels does not have to go through waivers and is free to sign with any team.

https://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/green-bay-packers-mike-daniels-released-training-camp-072419

Sounds like a cap move, where the guy is getting paid too much for a big man with a potential foot problem. They were kind enough to give him time to sign elsewhere for a more rational salary. I don't think the Bills need to chase after this, but lately McBeane seems to have a thing for good players with injury histories.

54 minutes ago, dje85 said:

My guess he did something that is going to lead to bad publicity for him and suspension. 

Doubtful. The guy gets his off-season kicks by watching anime, doing cosplay, and giving away backpacks to kids. I’m sure there are reasons for the release, but DV or a big drug issue is highly unlikely. 

• Like (+1) 1

We have to at least go after him.  He is a pass-rushing DL.  From PFF above, "Daniels’ pass-rush win rate of 14.4% from that alignment ranks 6th among qualifiers, as well."   Yes, he may want to go to a "Super Bowl" contender.  Those teams may not have the $ to pay him.  He would likely start on our line next to Oliver?   Plus, perhaps playing for McDermott and Frazier will change his mind.  Get him on a 2 year deal here.  Let Phillips develop more as a rotational piece.  

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Something has to have happened here.

This guy can play.

I disagree that an incident occurred or anything like that.  What did we get a 5th or 6th for Dareus? We would have cut him if we couldn't get a pick , strictly for cap reasons , same scenario

Wow, that's surprising. Daniels is a solid player and he was a captain there, very well respected by teammates. I wonder if the Packers medical staff told coaches that the injury could be something that persists and dogs him going forward. He wasn't making *that* much money there, so the cap excuse is kinda lame, granted, I don't know GB's cap situation. He won't be on the couch for long... unless he willingly chooses to draw out the process in order to skip camp, haha.

I’m thinking we pass.... but....

Daniels was also a three-year letterman in wrestlingand state qualifier in the discus (43.77m or 143’06) and threw the shot put (17.95m or 58’09) at the New Jersey Meet of Champions.”

This might put him in contention for a phone call. ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Daniels_(American_football)

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why? It's the team's responsibility to do what's best for them. Completely defensible. Players do what they want and teams do what they want as well. It's a business.

He'll get plenty of opportunities to sign and play for other teams.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

Why? It's the team's responsibility to do what's best for them. Completely defensible. Players do what they want and teams do what they want as well. It's a business.

He'll get plenty of opportunities to sign and play for other teams.

I think it comes down to consistency. If a fan gets mad at a player like Bell sitting out all season then in turn it would make sense for them to get mad at this. Likewise if they have no problem with a player like Bell sitting out then this too should be okay.

8 minutes ago, Reader said:

I think it comes down to consistency. If a fan gets mad at a player like Bell sitting out all season then in turn it would make sense for them to get mad at this. Likewise if they have no problem with a player like Bell sitting out then this too should be okay.

Sitting out an entire year is far more extreme than this.