Dare I say, Bills might be the pick for Hard Knocks this year

D521646

3 minutes ago, D521646 said:

I think there's a good chance we see this, and if so I won't hate it.  Very excited about his year.

Tim-

I root for it every year.  Not sure I buy the "distraction" element of it.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills are NOT eligible this year.

Those rules are: A team can't be selected if it was in the playoffs either of the last two seasons, if it has a first-year head coach or if it has been on the program at any point in the last 10 years.

These five teams can appear on "Hard Knocks" in 2019

• Lions
  • Raiders
  • Giants
  • 49ers
  • Redskins

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/hard-knocks-2019-which-teams-are-eligible-for-this-years-hbo-show/h2e6ctldxgas1pt29kif934rh

Edited by stosh64
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, stony said:

Same, Would love to see it. Wouldve LOVED to see it when Whaley and Marrone were going at it.

I dont buy the distraction thing either, and even if it is, how much worse could it have been over the last 20 years?

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I believe they CAN do it,  but only if they want to do it. The league cannot force them to do it. Due to playoffs two years ago 

You are correct sir.  They could if they wanted, but...

Technically, any team can say yes to be on the show, but the possibility of that happening is roughly zero percent. Coaches have complained about the presence of "Hard Knocks" at their facilities in the past, and it really doesn't provide a benefit to the franchise, so in 2013, the NFL gave itself the power to force a team to participate in the show, with a set of rules.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I believe they CAN do it,  but only if they want to do it. The league cannot force them to do it. Due to playoffs two years ago 

Correct. I think we would be much more interesting to them next year if we were to go say 9-7 or 10-6 this year with Allen really looking good but miss the playoffs then I think we would be prime candidates next year because everyone would be picking us as the team to watch.

3 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Given this criteria, is it not a given it'll be Chucky and the Raiders? 

Mayock, AB, Chucky...how could they pick anyone else? 

I'm hoping it is, any other team would just be boring in comparison.:lol:

The AB drama would be priceless entertainment.

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...don't see McDermott approving of it......just a hunch.......

I thought of this, but he must've signed off on the Bill's own version of Hard Knocks this past camp.  Probably not quite as intrusive, though.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, stony said:

I thought of this, but he must've signed off on the Bill's own version of Hard Knocks this past camp.  Probably not quite as intrusive, though.   

That wasnt even close to Hard Knocks. That was pure marketing with zero inside info and completely controlled messaging. It was one big rah-rah commercial.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

That wasnt even close to Hard Knocks. That was pure marketing with zero inside info and completely controlled messaging. It was one big rah-rah commercial.

Very true.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, JOFUS311 said:

There is ZERO chance of it being anyone but the Raiders.

I can't see it being anyone other than the Raiduhs either. And I sincerely hope that the Bills are never chosen.

1. Bills cant be forced into it since they made the playoffs after 2017 season

2. Bills will be pretty boring - how much of McClapping can a viewer take?

3. Raiders with Gruden, Mayock, AB84 are made for Hard Knocks. Guaranteed viewership of the drama there.

That said, I would not mind a Hard Knocks season where we choose to be there since we are winning. A winning scenario can even make any boring scene exciting.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

I cant believe that any fan of the team WOULDNT want to see the inside information and how stuff really goes down. It's not like any team has come out and said "We wouldve had a Championship season if not for those 3 weeks of Hard Knocks filming in August!".

• Like (+1) 2

Even ignoring the qualifications mandated, there’s less ‘incite’ from a team that values process, as opposed to the Patrick and Chucky Travelling All Stars Show.  I sincerely doubt Bills ownership would be on board with this.  The clowns from management that would have been have (thankfully) left town.

• Like (+1) 2

If it's not the Raiders, I'll be very surprised.

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Agreed that Raiders will be the most entertaining in general.

Still want to see my (our) Bills on there someday.

Yes, I want the Bills because I am a selfish fan that really wants more of an inside scoop into the team. I doubt the organization would ever choose to do it though. And I'm hoping we won't be eligible to be forced anytime soon (because we're going to the playoffs!).

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, stony said:

I've worked on a number of reality shows (in the set lighting dept.), and I don't see how it wouldn't be a distraction. People absolutely change, and often clam up when the camera is on them. And, you'd be amazed how much equipment, people, and gear-- lighting, grip, sound, camera, douchbags in director's chairs, etc-- are often just out of frame. Then you have the interviews where the director, and producers are trying to feed controversy to the subjects. They don't write scripts, exactly, but they definitely encourage conflict. I would imagine that it would be the most distracting for the coaches, especially when you have some players mugging for the camera. If I were a coach, or GM, I would avoid it like Chad Ochocinco on meth. I wonder what past coaches have had to say about the experience?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stosh64 said:

Those eligibility requirements ONLY come into play of a team hasn’t willingly agreed to be on the show.  All 32 teams are eligible to be on the show, however if everyone declines then they can be forced to do so the show based on that criteria. Bills did the Facebook show last year, quite plausible they would just agree to do Hard Knocks if approached.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I've worked on a number of reality shows (in the set lighting dept.), and I don't see how it wouldn't be a distraction. People absolutely change, and often clam up when the camera is on them. And, you'd be amazed how much equipment, people, and gear-- lighting, grip, sound, camera, douchbags in director's chairs, etc-- are often just out of frame. Then you have the interviews where the director, and producers are trying to feed controversy to the subjects. They don't write scripts, exactly, but they definitely encourage conflict. I would imagine that it would be the most distracting for the coaches, especially when you have some players mugging for the camera. If I were a coach, or GM, I would avoid it like Chad Ochocinco on meth. I wonder what past coaches have had to say about the experience?

Hard Knocks is not your normal "reality TV" that is built on faux drama and has little to do with actual reality. Watching the past seasons, it doesnt seem like players really change who they are (either way) just because cameras are around. While teams dont get to control the narratives, if HBO was pulling any BS and creating drama, the league wouldnt let them back in. They dont shoot it like a TV show with douchebags in directors chairs. It's more of a documentary than reality TV.

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Those eligibility requirements ONLY come into play of a team hasn’t willingly agreed to be on the show.  All 32 teams are eligible to be on the show, however if everyone declines then they can be forced to do so the show based on that criteria. Bills did the Facebook show last year, quite plausible they would just agree to do Hard Knocks if approached.  

Umm, no. This Bills regime would never agree to it.

They did their own thing because they had the ability to control it, control the message, control the image the team presented, etc. They would never allow themselves to be portrayed by another entity unless forced.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hard Knocks is not your normal "reality TV" that is built on faux drama and has little to do with actual reality. Watching the past seasons, it doesnt seem like players really change who they are (either way) just because cameras are around. While teams dont get to control the narratives, if HBO was pulling any BS and creating drama, the league wouldnt let them back in. They dont shoot it like a TV show with douchebags in directors chairs. It's more of a documentary than reality TV.

I respectfully disagree. If you put a camera on people, some of them will change to some degree. I don’t want any part of that. Give it to a clown like Gruden who can’t get enough of himself on TV. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

I respectfully disagree. If you put a camera on people, some of them will change to some degree. I don’t want any part of that. Give it to a clown like Gruden who can’t get enough of himself on TV. 

Disagreement noted as respectful, haha :thumbsup: But I mean, we have 13 seasons of Hard Knocks under the belt to reference and it doesnt seem like there have been any big deals or changed behaviors. It always feels like us commoners make it a bigger deal than it really is.

Edited by DrDawkinstein