AB Thinks He Doesn't Need It, He's a Millionaire !!

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Y'all just shitting on the guy for no big reason. Has any teammate called him out yet? Not to my knowledge. Doesn't that say sthing about him as a teammate? The guy was treated badly by his QB and his coach. He wants out. 

The smart strategy (from his POV) is to make it difficult to trade him so that the Steelers release him and he can determine his own destiny. He doesn't want other teams to make a fair offer to the Steelers. Why become a Carmelo Anthony and undermine the team he wishes to join by having them pay an arm and a leg?

From all accounts he is hardworking and helps people around him get better (like Juju). 

The only 2 knocks on him have been a. He was late to some meetings and b. He filmed a locker room talk. If he was as bad as y'all make him out to be, wouldn't he have been released ages ago?

Most star players have way more indiscretions. 

For sure. Sounds like most have no idea how much star player actions get swept under the rug to keep their assets shiny and expensive if they feel the need to cut bait. We have NO IDEA what goes on with the star athletes in the NFL.

I can only guess, but I think he's intentionally lowering his cost to leave the Steelers. He's doing want he can to get out. Of course he is a total eccentric.. and can be charismatic on television to the point where he's a little to open of a book about himself. But dude wants out is really all I see happening. Seriously doubt he goes to the Bills so I don't get the furor over another star receiver doing typical star WR diva stuff.

The position is like that because the players truly are (literally) distanced from their teammates in most plays from the game in a dogfight with the corner. They interact more with the opposing CB than they do their teammates on the field. That's their job, and they typically get the habit of coming off as selfish because their position is one of the most individual efforts in football.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean he ain't Norman Mailer but I don't think it's a problem of eloquence for me...I have a buddy who speaks nearly the same when he's discussing an issue of significant personal importance. Brown doesn't really do interviews like that and he looked nervous and upset. Agree on the sensitive part...we're talking about a guy who went from a 6th round pick to the best WR in the game and then had basically his entire organization turn their backs on him. So while I think it's fair to assign some (maybe the majority) of the blame to Brown, it's not like he doesn't have cause to be upset with the situation and I'd suggest the concurrent Le'Veon Bell disaster lends some credibility to his (Brown's) side of the story.

I agree that he likely has some legit reasons for being upset.  He is however making it worse and not helping himself.  

I left the company I previously worked for 12 years ago for a lot of the same reasons.  It angered me but it would have hurt me in the industry I'm in if I made all of my frustrations known.  I am aware that players are under contract and can't just leave - so it's not a parallel in many of our lives.  However, at this point, he'd be better serving himself by letting his agent handle the trade and him giving generic answers. 

Something like:

"It became a situation that I no longer wanted to accept.  At this point, I don't need to defend my decision. I will discuss it with the team I'm traded to or if the Steelers give my agent permission, I will discuss with a team interested in me.  I met with the Steelers and it was made clear, evidenced by the GM, that my issues will not be addressed.   I no longer want to play for the Steelers and I'm looking forward to proving to my new team that I'm a person to rely on.  I've worked too hard to let the Steelers organization control the narrative on who and what I am."

Ok some WR turned his mustache a different color and had something to say outside of what you would prefer to hear (gasp). The great news is most of us will ever have this problem because we won't be managing a team or playing for one in the NFL. The one interesting thing about this to me is just being able to see how offended people get when someone questions authority or does something outside of status quo. We were each born with the ability to choose our path and live with the consequences of those decisions which means we can be different or talk different or wear yellow mustaches if we want. Just get ready for the flock to try to drag you right back in or pay the consequences. 

Edited by Madd Charlie

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean he ain't Norman Mailer but I don't think it's a problem of eloquence for me...I have a buddy who speaks nearly the same when he's discussing an issue of significant personal importance. Brown doesn't really do interviews like that and he looked nervous and upset. Agree on the sensitive part...we're talking about a guy who went from a 6th round pick to the best WR in the game and then had basically his entire organization turn their backs on him. So while I think it's fair to assign some (maybe the majority) of the blame to Brown, it's not like he doesn't have cause to be upset with the situation and I'd suggest the concurrent Le'Veon Bell disaster lends some credibility to his (Brown's) side of the story.

Can you please explain to me how the entire organization turned their backs on him?

Was it the $68 million contract or just the $19 million guaranteed part?

I totally get him popping off on Ben and the GM. They both sent him under not a bus, but a tank. Why is no one saying "Fug Big Ben..there is no place for calling out teammates" 

That Steeler locker room is a mess. Let's not forget they had OL in the beginning of year talking trash on Bell for what he is making.. and, what is the saying those guys love" you dont talk about other peoples money"..just a mess there by all indications.

I would take AB all day and twice on Sunday

Ultimately this comes down to Brown not wanting to deal with Big Ben anymore. I'm fine with that. I wouldn't mind having him, but the real issue to me is Brown's age. He's getting older, he's no longer in his prime. I don't want to pay top dollar PLUS draft picks for someone on the decline.

22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Can you please explain to me how the entire organization turned their backs on him?

Was it the $68 million contract or just the $19 million guaranteed part?

He earned every nickel of that contract. I don’t think the fact that the Steelers were willing to pay for All Pro production is proof they were in his corner. My issue is how Brown gets the shaft from Roethlisberger in public (nobody gets to criticize Big Ben), they make JJSS the focus of the pass game once they’re upset with Brown (to the detriment of the team imo), and allow the media fixation on his off field transgressions to be the narrative instead of acknowledging how important he’s been to that organization since he laced up for them in 2011. 

He gets painted as the bad guy in all this which is understandable to a degree, but all you get from Rooney/Tomlin is ‘well his time here has run its course’ with no mention of how he’s been their best player hands down for the better part of a decade...that’s what I mean by turn their backs.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Beane’s comments when asked at the combine about AB suggest to me that they want nothing to do with this mess.

He's just another WR pre madonna diva who can't stop mouthing off. Somebody in his posse might want to remind him he knowe's on the wrong side of 30.  The Bills won't touch him as he is a pariah to the league now. Just keep trolling the Steelers AB and let me know how that works out?

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He earned every nickel of that contract. I don’t think the fact that the Steelers were willing to pay for All Pro production is proof they were in his corner. My issue is how Brown gets the shaft from Roethlisberger in public (nobody gets to criticize Big Ben), they make JJSS the focus of the pass game once they’re upset with Brown (to the detriment of the team imo), and allow the media fixation on his off field transgressions to be the narrative instead of acknowledging how important he’s been to that organization since he laced up for them in 2011. 

He gets painted as the bad guy in all this which is understandable to a degree, but all you get from Rooney/Tomlin is ‘well his time here has run its course’ with no mention of how he’s been their best player hands down for the better part of a decade...that’s what I mean by turn their backs.

I will respectfully disagree.  They gave him the contract; he signed it, then proceeded to be an unnecessary distraction and ultimately quit on his team.  I don't think the Steelers turned their backs.  He got his paychecks.  If anything, he turned his back.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I will respectfully disagree.  They gave him the contract; he signed it, then proceeded to be an unnecessary distraction and ultimately quit on his team.  I don't think the Steelers turned their backs.  He got his paychecks.  If anything, he turned his back.

How dare you respectfully disagree with me! 

• Haha (+1) 1

It may be different today, but to claim it was never like this is a fallacy. Guys like Bruce and Jimbo were about the money too. The NFLPA has striked many times in the past for more money. I think the glory days were long gone before most of us were born

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

How'd that work for Kaep?

I really don't think he (or anyone) should be blacklisted.  It was a tongue-in-cheek comment made in order to make a point.  If he says he doesn't need the NFL because he's such a wonderful entrepreneur, then I'd like to see the NFL call his bluff.

Far better than if he actually had to play for that paycheck, actually.

His cynical "protest actions"  made him mucho cash.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Listening to him talk, I feel like he's one of the most stupid people alive.

This is the kind of guy who should be blacklisted.

I get the same thing- his speech is horrible. We may see him on “Where are they Now” in the near future.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

His locker room periscope was bad, I agree. But Ben and the GM dumping on him, and Ben dumping on Bell too started the whole thing. Why no one wants to put ant blame on Ben and Tomlin for this mess is beyond me.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

His locker room periscope was bad, I agree. But Ben and the GM dumping on him, and Ben dumping on Bell too started the whole thing. Why no one wants to put ant blame on Ben and Tomlin for this mess is beyond me.

I have always been a Tomlin fan and I place MOST of the blame on him for this mess.

Roethlisberger is clearly a dick.  But the bottom line (to me) is that both Bell and Brown quit on their teammates. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

He quit on his team.  By all accounts, he's a selfish piece of *****.

No he did not. That is Tomlin's narrative. He left practice after being humiliated by Roethlisberger. When he wanted to come back, Tomlin did not allow him to and spun it as "he quit on his team". At least, that is the AB narrative.

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Pretty sure a former teammate came out and said "I told the Steelers if they pay him, they will create a monster"  The guy has given plenty of reasons for people to have an opinion about his actions.  He also has 70 million reasons not to care.

Yes, Ryan Clark - the one player who had a fight with Antonio Brown and was let go by the Steelers several years ago. Several current teammates spoke up against Bell sitting out - but not even one current teammate has come out in support of Ben and Tomlin and against Brown.

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Beane’s comments when asked at the combine about AB suggest to me that they want nothing to do with this mess.

What were these comments? I must have missed them. 

5 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

What were these comments? I must have missed them. 

I can’t recall verbatim, but something to the effect of “Yeah, he’s a phenomenal player, and every team needs to do their due diligence when evaluating these situations.”  Just a very non-descript and generic response to a question about whether or not Buffalo was interested in AB.  Didn’t sound like he had any interest.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I can’t recall verbatim, but something to the effect of “Yeah, he’s a phenomenal player, and every team needs to do their due diligence when evaluating these situations.”  Just a very non-descript and generic response to a question about whether or not Buffalo was interested in AB.  Didn’t sound like he had any interest.

Thanks. I think these may be the comments you are referencing:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/03/for-bills-gm-brandon-beane-exploring-possible-trades-is-a-delicate-deliberate-process.html

I just read them twice but I cant get a firm read on whether the Bills are interested or not. To me, overall, it appears Bills are considering / have considered what adding him would do. 

38 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I have always been a Tomlin fan and I place MOST of the blame on him for this mess.

Roethlisberger is clearly a dick.  But the bottom line (to me) is that both Bell and Brown quit on their teammates. 

Bell made a business decision, and every one of his teammates that yapped about him not being there or quitting etc was flat out out of line IMO. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Thanks. I think these may be the comments you are referencing:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/03/for-bills-gm-brandon-beane-exploring-possible-trades-is-a-delicate-deliberate-process.html

I just read them twice but I cant get a firm read on whether the Bills are interested or not. To me, overall, it appears Bills are considering / have considered what adding him would do. 

His tone and nonverbals were more telling than his actual words.  I watched the video on Twitter.  Just my perception, but he didn’t seem at all interested.

3 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Seems he is turning into ocho cinco part deux .  

Ocho was bonus football entertainment. He wasn't close TO or Moss infamy at points (nor as good). And he was doggone the best "diva" WR act I've seen in the NFL taking it in a comedic, rather than destructive way.

Citations: none.

TO played his heart out every game, almost maniacally competitive. Moss didn't have as much fire burning, but ultra talented. I'd give AB to compare to TO. Shrotsighted, often entertaining. TO wouldn't have skipped a deciding week 17 game tho. That's Moss territory. 

If i had to choose any WR not named Jerry Rice to play in one football game where the entire planet Earth was at stake.. I'd take the TO or AB type. Ultra competitors.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Bell made a business decision, and every one of his teammates that yapped about him not being there or quitting etc was flat out out of line IMO. 

Yes, TWO bad decisions do not make a good one. 

But since he doesn’t need it, it does beg the question......can I have it???

I heard the comments so I braced for something terrible when I watched that little interview. I came away wondering what all the fuss was about.

Just seems like a cocky guy with a rough upbringing. Typical NFL wide receiver persona.

Definitely not a model teammate, but the talent is going to outweigh the headache for some team.

Edited by BillsSB2020

7 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Marshawn Lynch probably isnt the best example.  Antonio Brown currently has a blonde mustache, about all you need to know about his intelligence.

Sounds like he is going the Michael Jackson path.

6 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Free speech?

Is this a government?  It has nothing to do with media, companies, etc.

First Amendment - Religion and Expression. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

6 hours ago, Dopey said:

I haven't said too much about AB, but I'm starting to think he has more issues than being a Diva. Money aside, I'm starting to feel bad for him. Same for OBJ.

Well .... that is dopey!

While Antonio's brown mouth isn't Doing himself any favours ..at the same time he does have a point on certain things .. Roethlisberger is a terrible leader who's clashed with multiple coaches and players ..some of the leaders from when he was a younger qb like Hines Ward don't feel too highly of him . You don't call out your teammates publically as a leader that's behind closed doors..atleast on that level I sympathize with him other than that he's an idiot for some of things he says 

8 hours ago, T master said:

At one point & time in the NFL there were guys willing to work their butts off to be the best show up & do what it took to let their legacy be written on the field & eventually in the holy grail of football the HOF . Even Marshawn Lynch with the way that he handled some things gave the game & it's fans something to route for when he stepped on the field being the guy that conformed to the rules but did it in a way with that mischievous style but still conformed to what was asked of him, but then there are the other guys !

The guys that have this "it's all about me & my way" belief ! I don't mind guys that are like let's say Steve Smith he was very out spoken but was a team guy, TO with all his antics & even when he stood on the star in Dallas he didn't cut me like some of these players today .

And to this point i have not seen one which i didn't see it coming & i'm not sure if any one did before this but AB has just totally made me not like the guy even given all he has done on the field what he has done off the field has ruined it for me ! He has done this most recent interview & it tells me as a fan all's i need to know he says "he doesn't need the game" that made him a millionaire that "he's going to do it his way or he's not going to do it at all because he's a millionaire & doesn't need to do it the way a certain team might want him to" ? !

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001020572/article/antonio-brown-i-dont-even-have-to-play-football

Sorry but i hope after seeing this he get's to ride off into the great white north & play for the CFL or something & no team in the NFL gives him another shot ! This guy is going to charge a kings ransom to get on a team & if he doesn't like any thing the team is asking of him to do he'll quit on them again & still collect his millions & cry all the way to the bank while doing it because he will have his contract guaranteed .

I feel sorry for the fool that signs him because this guy is a cancer to any team that is will ing to take the chance to put him on their roster !! I think McD & company can see that to or at least i hope so because he's broadcasting loud & clear to all that will listen ...

I know there are articles already on this subject but this guy is a piece of work & it just really sends me head reeling when he is as disrespectful to the exact thing that has put him where he is in his life & allowed him to live better than even he could have ever imagined it just blows me away so sorry for the clutter on the site ...

Everything was grand before the profit motive was invented in 2003.  Before that everyone did everything for the love of the game.  Athletes played ball for glory and championships, and blue collar All American Joes manufactured auto parts out of sheer pride for the USA.  Its a great story.  If only it were true.

Even if it were true, those "guys willing to work their butts off to be the best show up & do what it took to let their legacy be written on the field & eventually in the holy grail of football the HOF" just sued the NFL for building an empire on their broken bones and concussions.   The AB's of the league may not be the brightest but they saw what happened to most of the greats and know the NFL is still a business.

NFL contracts are NOT guaranteed.

31 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Sounds like he is going the Michael Jackson path.

Is this a government?  It has nothing to do with media, companies, etc.

First Amendment - Religion and Expression. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Well .... that is dopey!

I try to live up to my name.