AB Thinks He Doesn't Need It, He's a Millionaire !!

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Y'all just shitting on the guy for no big reason. Has any teammate called him out yet? Not to my knowledge. Doesn't that say sthing about him as a teammate? The guy was treated badly by his QB and his coach. He wants out. 

The smart strategy (from his POV) is to make it difficult to trade him so that the Steelers release him and he can determine his own destiny. He doesn't want other teams to make a fair offer to the Steelers. Why become a Carmelo Anthony and undermine the team he wishes to join by having them pay an arm and a leg?

From all accounts he is hardworking and helps people around him get better (like Juju). 

The only 2 knocks on him have been a. He was late to some meetings and b. He filmed a locker room talk. If he was as bad as y'all make him out to be, wouldn't he have been released ages ago?

Most star players have way more indiscretions. 

For sure. Sounds like most have no idea how much star player actions get swept under the rug to keep their assets shiny and expensive if they feel the need to cut bait. We have NO IDEA what goes on with the star athletes in the NFL.

I can only guess, but I think he's intentionally lowering his cost to leave the Steelers. He's doing want he can to get out. Of course he is a total eccentric.. and can be charismatic on television to the point where he's a little to open of a book about himself. But dude wants out is really all I see happening. Seriously doubt he goes to the Bills so I don't get the furor over another star receiver doing typical star WR diva stuff.

The position is like that because the players truly are (literally) distanced from their teammates in most plays from the game in a dogfight with the corner. They interact more with the opposing CB than they do their teammates on the field. That's their job, and they typically get the habit of coming off as selfish because their position is one of the most individual efforts in football.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean he ain't Norman Mailer but I don't think it's a problem of eloquence for me...I have a buddy who speaks nearly the same when he's discussing an issue of significant personal importance. Brown doesn't really do interviews like that and he looked nervous and upset. Agree on the sensitive part...we're talking about a guy who went from a 6th round pick to the best WR in the game and then had basically his entire organization turn their backs on him. So while I think it's fair to assign some (maybe the majority) of the blame to Brown, it's not like he doesn't have cause to be upset with the situation and I'd suggest the concurrent Le'Veon Bell disaster lends some credibility to his (Brown's) side of the story.

I agree that he likely has some legit reasons for being upset.  He is however making it worse and not helping himself.  

I left the company I previously worked for 12 years ago for a lot of the same reasons.  It angered me but it would have hurt me in the industry I'm in if I made all of my frustrations known.  I am aware that players are under contract and can't just leave - so it's not a parallel in many of our lives.  However, at this point, he'd be better serving himself by letting his agent handle the trade and him giving generic answers. 

Something like:

"It became a situation that I no longer wanted to accept.  At this point, I don't need to defend my decision. I will discuss it with the team I'm traded to or if the Steelers give my agent permission, I will discuss with a team interested in me.  I met with the Steelers and it was made clear, evidenced by the GM, that my issues will not be addressed.   I no longer want to play for the Steelers and I'm looking forward to proving to my new team that I'm a person to rely on.  I've worked too hard to let the Steelers organization control the narrative on who and what I am."

Ok some WR turned his mustache a different color and had something to say outside of what you would prefer to hear (gasp). The great news is most of us will ever have this problem because we won't be managing a team or playing for one in the NFL. The one interesting thing about this to me is just being able to see how offended people get when someone questions authority or does something outside of status quo. We were each born with the ability to choose our path and live with the consequences of those decisions which means we can be different or talk different or wear yellow mustaches if we want. Just get ready for the flock to try to drag you right back in or pay the consequences. 

Edited by Madd Charlie

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean he ain't Norman Mailer but I don't think it's a problem of eloquence for me...I have a buddy who speaks nearly the same when he's discussing an issue of significant personal importance. Brown doesn't really do interviews like that and he looked nervous and upset. Agree on the sensitive part...we're talking about a guy who went from a 6th round pick to the best WR in the game and then had basically his entire organization turn their backs on him. So while I think it's fair to assign some (maybe the majority) of the blame to Brown, it's not like he doesn't have cause to be upset with the situation and I'd suggest the concurrent Le'Veon Bell disaster lends some credibility to his (Brown's) side of the story.

Can you please explain to me how the entire organization turned their backs on him?

Was it the $68 million contract or just the $19 million guaranteed part?

I totally get him popping off on Ben and the GM. They both sent him under not a bus, but a tank. Why is no one saying "Fug Big Ben..there is no place for calling out teammates" 

That Steeler locker room is a mess. Let's not forget they had OL in the beginning of year talking trash on Bell for what he is making.. and, what is the saying those guys love" you dont talk about other peoples money"..just a mess there by all indications.

I would take AB all day and twice on Sunday

Ultimately this comes down to Brown not wanting to deal with Big Ben anymore. I'm fine with that. I wouldn't mind having him, but the real issue to me is Brown's age. He's getting older, he's no longer in his prime. I don't want to pay top dollar PLUS draft picks for someone on the decline.

22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Can you please explain to me how the entire organization turned their backs on him?

Was it the $68 million contract or just the $19 million guaranteed part?

He earned every nickel of that contract. I don’t think the fact that the Steelers were willing to pay for All Pro production is proof they were in his corner. My issue is how Brown gets the shaft from Roethlisberger in public (nobody gets to criticize Big Ben), they make JJSS the focus of the pass game once they’re upset with Brown (to the detriment of the team imo), and allow the media fixation on his off field transgressions to be the narrative instead of acknowledging how important he’s been to that organization since he laced up for them in 2011. 

He gets painted as the bad guy in all this which is understandable to a degree, but all you get from Rooney/Tomlin is ‘well his time here has run its course’ with no mention of how he’s been their best player hands down for the better part of a decade...that’s what I mean by turn their backs.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Beane’s comments when asked at the combine about AB suggest to me that they want nothing to do with this mess.

He's just another WR pre madonna diva who can't stop mouthing off. Somebody in his posse might want to remind him he knowe's on the wrong side of 30.  The Bills won't touch him as he is a pariah to the league now. Just keep trolling the Steelers AB and let me know how that works out?

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He earned every nickel of that contract. I don’t think the fact that the Steelers were willing to pay for All Pro production is proof they were in his corner. My issue is how Brown gets the shaft from Roethlisberger in public (nobody gets to criticize Big Ben), they make JJSS the focus of the pass game once they’re upset with Brown (to the detriment of the team imo), and allow the media fixation on his off field transgressions to be the narrative instead of acknowledging how important he’s been to that organization since he laced up for them in 2011. 

He gets painted as the bad guy in all this which is understandable to a degree, but all you get from Rooney/Tomlin is ‘well his time here has run its course’ with no mention of how he’s been their best player hands down for the better part of a decade...that’s what I mean by turn their backs.

I will respectfully disagree.  They gave him the contract; he signed it, then proceeded to be an unnecessary distraction and ultimately quit on his team.  I don't think the Steelers turned their backs.  He got his paychecks.  If anything, he turned his back.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I will respectfully disagree.  They gave him the contract; he signed it, then proceeded to be an unnecessary distraction and ultimately quit on his team.  I don't think the Steelers turned their backs.  He got his paychecks.  If anything, he turned his back.

How dare you respectfully disagree with me! 

• Haha (+1) 1

It may be different today, but to claim it was never like this is a fallacy. Guys like Bruce and Jimbo were about the money too. The NFLPA has striked many times in the past for more money. I think the glory days were long gone before most of us were born

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

How'd that work for Kaep?

I really don't think he (or anyone) should be blacklisted.  It was a tongue-in-cheek comment made in order to make a point.  If he says he doesn't need the NFL because he's such a wonderful entrepreneur, then I'd like to see the NFL call his bluff.

Far better than if he actually had to play for that paycheck, actually.

His cynical "protest actions"  made him mucho cash.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Listening to him talk, I feel like he's one of the most stupid people alive.

This is the kind of guy who should be blacklisted.

I get the same thing- his speech is horrible. We may see him on “Where are they Now” in the near future.