Allen's Last Pass (12/2): Bad Pass or Drop?

Gugny

Allen's Last Pass (12/2): Bad Pass or Drop?  

428 members have voted

1. 1. Allen's Last Pass (12/2): Bad Pass or Drop?

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Gotta find someone better first

the last four games are a test to see who wants to be around next year

Agreed, this season is just a test run. The offseason needs to be huge, then next year I hope to start learning to win. 

3 hours ago, Mojo44 said:

You have to keep in mind the specific circumstances of that play. Josh was running for his life. When he made the throw he was off-balance. He had to get it off as fast as possible.He had no time to set his feet. Essentially, it got there. All Clay had to do was take a couple steps towards the pass and catch it. Josh made a great play in my opinion. Shame

Bingo

Not the most perfect pass, but any receiver should have caught that, I blame Clay and not Allen.     I'm about 25% percent disappointed with the loss and 75% encouraged that Allen is capable of bringing the team back on a two minute drive.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

What people are missing is that Clay slips in that crappy grass endzone trying to come up for the ball. 

If anyone should know what cleats to wear on that field it should be him Shady.

He played there for years.

It’s probably a little of both. Its just one of those plays that good teams find a way to make and the rest find excuses. Until we start making the plays that win games and stop making the plays that lose games...we will just be here. Out by Christmas. As fans it’s sad because it seems like it won’t ever change. It’s just like the Zay Jones drop at Carolina last year. A team like the Steelers, or Pats they just make those plays. They win both those games. We win neither. Until we start Finishing these games and cashing in on these opportunities, we are just not good enough.

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It was both, but that goes more on Clay. He had a chance and should have caught it. I believe what Allen said about being gassed after running all around gives him a bit of a pass. Clay had it in his hands, he should have caught it.

The pass to criticize Allen on is the missed wide open bomb to Foster.

That ball traveled almost 70 yards in the air and missed Foster by about 3 feet.  It was an impressive throw, just a bit off.  I don't know that there's another QB in the league that could even attempt that pass.  If Clay would have done what Sheppard did for the Giants on OBJ's TD pass, he'd have caught it around the 5 and had an electrifying TD.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

It’s probably a little of both. Its just one of those plays that good teams find a way to make and the rest find excuses. Until we start making the plays that win games and stop making the plays that lose games...we will just be here. Out by Christmas. As fans it’s sad because it seems like it won’t ever change. It’s just like the Zay Jones drop at Carolina last year. A team like the Steelers, or Pats they just make those plays. They win both those games. We win neither. Until we start Finishing these games and cashing in on these opportunities, we are just not good enough.

Um, it changed last season.  And no one is making excuses for the drop. 

45 minutes ago, row_33 said:

At least TSW won’t be inundated with playoff machine nonsense in half the new threads this week

Real talk - we’ve seen a lot of variations but this years “now that we are 3-7....” ones were among my favorite 

Why does everything need to be polarized one way or another? Why can’t it be both? My take: nice play by Allen to try to get it there on the run. Not actually a good pass, but maybe could’ve been caught. Would’ve been a great catch if made, but it didn’t happen. It was like a foot away from being a TD. Does that need to be only one person’s 100% fault, or can it be that we just came up a little short?

Ya know another poster just pointed this out and I think it's a fantastic point:

Allen threw that football 70 yardsin the air, and he did that AFTER running all over the field to find a throw.

And yeah, it was about 70 yards... maybe 66 to be exact.

Ball released on the 40 yard line reaches the end zone but he's throwing across the field.

Look up the dimensions of a football field for yourself and you'll discover the distance horizontally from where Allen threw it to where Clay couldn't catch it was somewhere around 23-26 yards I'd say.

40+23/26= 63/66 yards.

Clay should have come back to the ball a bit.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I wish I could get $38,000,000 to do that.  I'd be a ***** gazillionaire.

I’d drunkenly stumble for a LOT less! My trip to bed is worth $500k based upon what I’ve seen! 

• Haha (+1) 1

Obviously the pass could’ve been better...  

Allen had to escape the rush, escape the rush again, throw across his body to the other side of the field, after carrying the team for most of the 4th Quarter.  He got the pass off and the receiver had it hit him in his hands.  

All Clay had to do was adjust to the ball and not be a spaz.  Not an easy play, but one most average NFL receivers make. 

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Should Clay have caught the ball?  Or was it just a bad pass?

Allen deserves all the credit.   His protection broke down.  He somehow avoided the rush with incredible mobility,  and made a strong off balance pass that clay should have caught.  This is completely Clay's responsibility.  He should be gone. 

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Should Clay have caught the ball?  Or was it just a bad pass?

Edited by longtimebillsfan

22 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ya know another poster just pointed this out and I think it's a fantastic point:

Allen threw that football 70 yardsin the air, and he did that AFTER running all over the field to find a throw.

And yeah, it was about 70 yards... maybe 66 to be exact.

Ball released on the 40 yard line reaches the end zone but he's throwing across the field.

Look up the dimensions of a football field for yourself and you'll discover the distance horizontally from where Allen threw it to where Clay couldn't catch it was somewhere around 23-26 yards I'd say.

40+23/26= 63/66 yards.

Clay should have come back to the ball a bit.

Not sure your math checks out there chief ?

a2+b2=c2 

40^2=1600 (length)

40^2=1600 (width (being generous))

square root of 3200 is 56.5 (that’s with generous 40 yard “horizontal” distance) 

using your estimate of 26 yards for “horizontal” distance equals 47 yards, add a few yards for real numbers being slightly more, 50 (this is probably close to the real number) 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Obviously the pass could’ve been better...  

Allen had to escape the rush, escape the rush again, throw across his body to the other side of the field, after carrying the team for most of the 4th Quarter.  He got the pass off and the receiver had it hit him in his hands.  

All Clay had to do was adjust to the ball and not be a spaz.  Not an easy play, but one most average NFL receivers make. 

He had to move forward 6-7 yards in the time the ball covered 50+ yards in the air. Not much to ask from a professional football player. He seemed to have maybe slipped as he started forward? Unfortunate, but still encouraging. We won’t have to count on Clay to make those plays next year, I’m guessing. Croom would have caught it, and we’ll have an upgrade over him. 

2 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

a2+b2=c2 

40^2=1600 (length)

square root of 3200 is 56.5 (that’s with generous 40 yard “horizontal” distance) 

using your estimate of 26 yards for “horizontal” distance equals 47 yards, add a few yards for real numbers being slightly more, 50 (this is probably close to the real number) 

Sister Jeanne? Is that you? Oh no....I thought those math nightmares were over.....

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

a2+b2=c2 

40^2=1600 (length)

I think it's time to ring the @DC Tom bat phone.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

a2+b2=c2 

40^2=1600 (length)

Nice use of the pythagorean theorem!  :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Romie said:

Really I think it was both.  Not the best pass, but there's dudes out there that would have pulled it off.

Allen was under duress, so expecting him to loft a perfect 40 yard pass on a 4th down is way too an expectation.  

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

Allen was under duress, so expecting him to loft a perfect 40 yard pass on a 4th down is way too an expectation.  

He’d just run a 5k trying to get free to launch a ball, so yeah, I like his effort better than that of Clay. 

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Nice use of the pythagorean theorem!  :thumbsup:

I bet he works on that because it’s such a big hit with the girls at Happy Hour! Or....maybe he’s serious about something other than the Bills in life?  No, I doubt that’s it.....

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Real talk - we’ve seen a lot of variations but this years “now that we are 3-7....” ones were among my favorite 

Oh to be young and energetic and optimistic again to think that 3-7 is part of a master plan....

Catch difficulty 7/10.

Pass quality 6/10. 

Play was definitely there to be made by Clay. I would imagine Allen had to been have a bit gassed. The runs he made would have McNabb dry heaving. Tough cross field throw . Ahhh that would have been such a great play...

I’ll note that the EZ perfect view of the ball losing its spiral and starting to wobble seems somewhat rate. Not sure if this is because of new tech, or the position of the camera, or rarity of seeing a pass like this thrown.

You don’t see the flight of a punt shown like that pass

Edited by row_33