I actually like Daboll!

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’d like Dabol to leave the team tomorrow 

The OP is saying the scheme is so good, the fact that the terrible offense sucks with it means it must be a REALLY good scheme.. because it's tailored for all-pros, and since we have the opposite.. Well Daboll's a genius.

You just don't get it.

You all ready to fire this dweeb yet? Looked like a lost, dumb fat kid on the sidelines multiple times tonight. I'm seriously wondering if the dude has anxiety issues at this point. He just does not seem ready for any of this.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

Daboll is awesome.

What other OC can consistently score 0 touchdown's a game? 

That's a serious accomplishment. 

It's like 17 years with no playoffs until last year.it takes a special skill set to fail that much based off percentages alone, like trying to lose.  Not an exact number, but 40% of teams make the playoffs every year?  How one accomplishes 17 years of playoffs defies any type of math

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Tyrod Taylor covered up a lot of problems

I realize he was not the QB to take us where we needed to go....but he did in fact band aid some things that we are seeing now.

Oh well...train has left the station.....it will get fixed

I can back this.  Hate him or love him....Tyrod was the best QB we had since....well you get it.  It's sad, but true

26 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I realize he was not the QB to take us where we needed to go....but he did in fact band aid some things that we are seeing now.

What makes you say that?  It hasn't been fixed in over 2 decades.

2 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

I can back this.  Hate him or love him....Tyrod was the best QB we had since....well you get it.  It's sad, but true

I said this when the trade was made

I was happy we were able to get a 3rd for him

When the team moved away from Tyrod I knew this was going to happen.....I was hoping AJM was more then what he was.....but was really hoping that they would bring in a Bryan Hoyer type (just good enough to play but not the future)

I never dreamed that Nathan Peterman would be as bad as he is....it is all compounded by a OL that cannot protect our QBs

I really think we should take a look at another free agent QB if Anderson is indeed hurt....Peterman might be bad enough to get us to the number 1 overall pick but we might lose the locker room in the process.

22 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

What makes you say that?  It hasn't been fixed in over 2 decades.

We did in fact draft a QB with the 7th overall pick

Finding positional players has never really been a problem for this team.....we did find players like Robert Woods.....we will find them again.

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

Imagine if Daboll had the talent Chan Gailey had to work with. If we had Donald Jones, David Nelson, and Naaman Roosevelt in their primes we'd be rolling.

Exactly. The talent here sucks, but it also sucks in Dallas, Seattle, Washington, San Francisco, etc., all of which are beating us in every offensive metric possible. Coaching makes up a good amount of that difference. Daboll sucks.

5 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Can't call a game, can't prepare a game plan, and can't make adjustments.  He's far worse than I ever dreamed.

the announcers thought he did a great job save for a play here and there , which is any OC. Dabol definitely caused Croom to drop the ball in the end zone.

I was thrilled to see some creativity tonight, although there were some questionable play calls.... The one glaring one being a draw play to Shady on 3rd and 8 at around the 30 yard line... although when your passing offense is that inept, I guess it makes sense to preserve the FG, but.... damn.

5 hours ago, Nelius said:

Exactly. The talent here sucks, but it also sucks in Dallas, Seattle, Washington, San Francisco, etc., all of which are beating us in every offensive metric possible. Coaching makes up a good amount of that difference. Daboll sucks.

Not to the same extent in my honest opinion. 

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Tyrod is a problem on his own... you would not want him as QB.

7 hours ago, Nelius said:

Not even close...

Probably nothing... but why is it when I see other OC's, they have laminated play sheets and look organized? Daboll last night was calling plays off of notebook paper and bar napkins. I imagine he had to be organized to coach for the Pats and Alabama, but he didn't give that appearance last night.

1 minute ago, DasNootz said:

Probably nothing... but why is it when I see other OC's, they have laminated play sheets and look organized? Daboll last night was calling plays off of notebook paper and bar napkins. I imagine he had to be organized to coach for the Pats and Alabama, but he didn't give that appearance last night.

LOL.....I noticed that too....its like a high school kid pulling crumpled pieces of paper out of the depths of your pocket......Maybe its just the way he looks....but he looked quite dumbfounded whenever the camera panned on him

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:11 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Dabol definitely caused Croom to drop the ball in the end zone.

Damn right he did!  A better offensive staff would have coached stronger fundamentals.  :P

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/29/2018 at 1:04 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He actually had shown glimpses before, which I think is one reason the Bills picked him up.  His very first game he passed for >300 yds and led a comeback win.  I know 'cuz he was playing for St Louis then.

OK, make it then - compare position by position.  Go.

Apologies for not responding sooner about this. I assume you're talking about the early 80s units, so I randomly took the 1984 2-14 unit. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/1984_roster.htm 

My view is that while it was a bad offense and bad team overall, the o-line was actually quite talented. Devlin, Ritcher, and Ken Jones were all good, and Grant and Borchardt were credible longtime starters who had started for some good teams just a few years earlier. Tony Hunter was a little below average (recall that his career ended early because of a bad leg injury), Byron Franklin was OK, and Greg Bell was actually good (recall that he led the NFL in rushing TDs twice for the Rams).  Fergy was on the downswing, but still better than what we have now.  The problem with that team was that the defense was bad too. Anyway, given the quality of the o-line, which at least gave the Bills a credible running game (11th in rushing ypa), I don't think you can say that those offenses were worse. 

So, I wonder if Daboll will be fired. Even though it's a rebuilding year, the offense is incompetent. Unprepared. Undisciplined. Uninspired.

If you consider this year as an initial test for the OC, he has failed so far. You can say he doesn't have enough talent to work with, but shouldn't a good OC at least run a competent offense with even entry-level NFL talent? Think of Chan Gailey for reference, getting decent production with below-average talent on most Sundays.

I'd bet they let Daboll ride out the year before firing him, since this year is basically a lost cause. Is it possible they'd start researching OC candidates now? Buffalo could be considered a good opportunity for an OC to make a name for himself. They have the cap space and commitment to improving the offense in 2019. They have a young talent at QB. They already have a good defense.

If the offense showed any competence to this point, this would certainly be a great argument for keeping Daboll and letting him work with the new talent in 2019. However, I don't think they should invest another year on Daboll, given what he's shown so far. He hasn't earned that opportunity. McDermott seemed to show frustration with the offense yesterday. He said during halftime that they should be able to make adjustments. I think he could be realizing that Daboll has been unable to make the necessary adjustments and is not ready to be a good OC.

Additional question to go along with this post: who do you consider to be a good OC candidate out there?

I'm looking at the college ranks again (shrugs shoulders; I know that's where Daboll just came from). Have you seen what Mike Norvell has been able to do in ASU and now in Memphis? He recently became the highest paid coach outside the power 5 conferences, but I bet he's able to get out of that contract if it means moving up to the NFL. He may have those aspirations.

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to bump this thread because I have been enjoying watching Daboll's Offense lately too.  He has had some exciting play calling and does not seem to force his "system" on the players, but is instead adjusting his scheme based on the players on the field.  I am expecting that as the game continues to slow down for Allen, he will begin to adjust his play calling accordingly.  I am hoping this coaching staff will stay together and develop chemistry for the next several years.

• Like (+1) 2

Four quarterbacks, each with a different or no (Nate) skill set.  The guy probably hasn't slept in months trying to figure out what to run week-to-week. 

I really like how he has "protected" Josh with simple reads (Mostly 2 and sometimes 3 reads with a check down) and used Josh's legs as an asset.  The protection has not been good and Daboll has adjusted to it.  Josh knows how to protect himself on the move and is a big, strong, fast kid.  When the line isn't giving you ample time, you have to use those assets. Josh got hurt in the pocket...he is better on the move right now. 

Bottom line, I like what I see so far and I don't think you can fire Daboll based on the QB injury situation.

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone thinking Daboll is going to (or deserves to) be fired this offseason is way off the mark.  Dude has been trying to make chicken salad with chicken shyte.  I can't imagine how he slept at night when he knew he had to game plan around Peterman.  The offense these days actually looks fun and has some speed.  Can't wait to see what he does after they fix more of the offensive problems (OL) during the offseason, and as Josh gains experience.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I was a fierce critic of his but I have relaxed my negative assessment on him and actually see an overall improvement..I am still on the fence with his running scheme's though as we seem to not have any answer to it..now I'm sure a bunch of that is our oline but he doesn't seem very creative in the running play formations

On 10/25/2018 at 1:15 AM, John from Riverside said:

What offense should he run to improve the talent of his players?

Can only work with the ability of the roster. Issue is we have to attempt to score points in the modern NFL. I like him and think Allen with him is gunna be a good marriage. A good sign is the use of McKenzie in particular. Watch what we do with him, foster, even Zay for the remainder of the season. Yes the players are developing but same Daboll and his use of talent he has on the current roster, as well as play calling. 

2 hours ago, eball said:

Anyone thinking Daboll is going to (or deserves to) be fired this offseason is way off the mark.  Dude has been trying to make chicken salad with chicken shyte.  I can't imagine how he slept at night when he knew he had to game plan around Peterman.  The offense these days actually looks fun and has some speed.  Can't wait to see what he does after they fix more of the offensive problems (OL) during the offseason, and as Josh gains experience.

I agree Daboll deserves at least another season. I don’t think any OC would have been successful with Peterman and this oline early in the year. He has done some really good things the last couple weeks. I would like to see him be able to bring in some of his guys. He should get to at least bring in his own QB and oline coach.

2 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

I have too changed my stance with him. I still think he really lacks some things, but he does adjust to his players, which is a GOOD trait for coaches. Not a "system" coach that forces his players into it.

My stance has softened a bit too. Although...

The thing is, this team looks like two different animals if they get behind in points vs getting a lead in a game. Against the Vikings, Titans, Jets and Jags the bills got the lead, held on and won those games.

The other games Ravens, Chargers, Packers, Texans, Colts, Patriots, Bears the got behind in points from the start and never caught up while losing those games. Even against the Patriots in which they held a 3 point lead for 3 quarters and the Bills just couldn't get anything going offensively.

I read here that the players on offense are historically bad, and yet when they get the lead those offensive players look pretty good at times. Bills fans saying its the QB until Barkley comes in and lights up a pretty good Jets defense. Bills fans saying its the offensive line and yet when they get the lead the sacks go down and the run game does better. Bills fans saying the receiver corps is bad and yet they looked pretty good with Barkley throwing to them. 

This last game Josh Allen made some big plays because of his talent, that throw to Foster just before he is engulfed by three Jag defenders. That 14 yard TD run by Allen and he would have had over 100 yards rushing if he didn't kneel it down at the end of the game for -2 yards.

The play calling in that Jags game looked good for the first quarter and fell off after that until the Allen run in the 4th. That was against the #5 defense so I'm not gonna complain too much. I'd just like to see more of that 1st touchdown series all game long and not just two or three series a game. The Bills did punt 7 times in that game. 

I also want to see this team win a game when they get behind in points and then not go into a panic passing mode to catch up. Run the normal game plan, move the chains and run the ball...score some points.