A few thoughts about the Vikings game, in no particular order

Virgil

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Pass protection was pretty good again. One of the two sacks was a TE whiff but generally thought our OL had another respectable day. Dion is worrying me though. Seems to lack some power compared to last year. 

Would that "power" be named Incognito?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rocky Landing said:

Would that "power" be named Incognito?

I am sure he misses Richie alongside but I am thinking more lower body power. Doesn't seem to be able to anchor quite as well as last year. Need to watch the all22 of this week again obviously but that is my takeaway. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I am sure he misses Richie alongside but I am thinking more lower body power. Doesn't seem to be able to anchor quite as well as last year. Need to watch the all22 of this week again obviously but that is my takeaway. 

I also feel that, to some degree, our O-line is receiving a more balanced attack this year, rather than so much being thrown at our right side.

1 minute ago, MikeSpeed said:

The only way this day gets better is if the Lions upset the Paties 

Nah. Not to me. Nothing else today touches this. This was one of the most enjoyable games to watch in years, imho. Never have I sat down to watch a game with lower expectations that were exceeded by such a huge margin. Even as they entered halftime, I figured that somehow they would lose this game. The difference between last week and this is mind-boggling. It was the difference between an undisciplined team, and a disciplined one.

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

It can be done 

yes

yes he will.
and it will be good and fine.
that was soooo close. timing his steps , when he should just stride. 

I feel like that long incompletion was on Allen. Under-thrown, and maybe should have been an int?

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

He got banged up a couple times, but was back out on the field right after. I think Hyde/Poyer were well positioned to help him out, also. And as another poster said earlier, a good pass rush elevates everyone. But, I will maintain what I said in another thread: Ryan Lewis was an upgrade to that other guy he replaced.

at first blush, ryan lewis looked dialed in

Thanks Virgil, woke up to the great news and came here looking for your write-up ?

Enjoy the honesty in your thoughts and the sensible discussion it prompts from others.

Keep up the great work.

Stoked with the result. Go Bills!

Btw.... Your gonna have to come up with a better thread name soon ?

Edited by Ned Kelly
Spell

First game I've had a chance to watch this year. Allen is the real deal. He reminds me in some ways of Jim Kelly when he was young. Different styles of course, but I totally expect to see Allen bringing down a defender on a pick off like Kelly used to. As soon as he gets some experience, he is going to be one of the best in the league.

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Daboll's playcalling in the 2nd half was questionable at best.  

He dialed it down a little but Allen made a few dumb plays with the ball like the Statue of Liberty play where he funbled and Croom recovered.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Ned Kelly said:

Thanks Virgil, woke up to the great news and came here looking for your write-up ?

Btw.... Your gonna have to come up with a better thread name soon 

In honor of the original author of these thoughts, it’s never gonna happen 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Fixxxer said:

What was up with all the illegal formation penalties in the third QTR? Who's responsible for those? Such a silly penalty.

Also, why is it that everytime we put an extra OT, he ends up false starting?

All pretty mild criticisms, imo. Illegal formation penalties notwithstanding, the Bills showed more discipline regarding penalties than they have in a long, long time. And, at least a couple of their penalties were utterly bogus. 

Edited by Rocky Landing

11 hours ago, downunderbill said:

It may have been mentioned already but one thing I noticed today was there was no real soft tackling. Once the defenders had their guy they brought him down with a lot fewer yards after first contact. Saved a few first downs there.

my dad and I said same during the game...only saw bad tackling on one or two drives in the 4th when they started going soft D...man I hate the prevent defense

12 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Nah. Not to me. Nothing else today touches this. This was one of the most enjoyable games to watch in years, imho. Never have I sat down to watch a game with lower expectations that were exceeded by such a huge margin. Even as they entered halftime, I figured that somehow they would lose this game. The difference between last week and this is mind-boggling. It was the difference between an undisciplined team, and a disciplined one.

I feel like that long incompletion was on Allen. Under-thrown, and maybe should have been an int?

agreed with bolded

and especially agree with rest of post !

I didn't post or read much in this forum last week because I knew it was going to be "Overreaction Central" just from the topic headings.  Threads like "Beane and McD are the worst GM/HC combo since Polian" and more crap like that.  Fans are so stupid and fickle.  The bottom line is the people actually close to the situation -- guys like Eric Wood who was on the team last year and stays in touch with players -- told everyone the team was tight, there was no break from McD's message.  And lo and behold, look what happened.

It's a damn shame fans can't simply enjoy the game for what it is, without looking for some earth-shattering pronouncement each week.

To quote our HC -- RESPECT THE PROCESS.

• Like (+1) 1

One major thing I saw fromDefense today was that the LBs were much further back from LOS giving time and space to react versus getting caught up in the big bodies.   The Offense scoring on first drive with a fantastic mix of p,aye and formations clearly provided some extra intensity 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Cousins played today like he did early in his Redskins tenure; completed a lot of throws but made some really serious mistakes.

Yep.  Perfect example of the misleading nature of football statistics.   Cousins threw for 100 yards more than Josh Allen but was badly outplayed.  Almost every yard he threw for was garbage time.

Edited by mannc

14 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I notice the positioning of the DTs and DEs in the pass rush.  Lots of confidence in the LBs.

Agree that Minny was figured out by our coaching staff, so kudos to McD and crew.  My point was that they can't let off big leads on every team they play.  IF they did this vs NE, Brady would take advantage of the weak play calling and that may not have been a win.  I hope the coaches consider this in the upcoming weeks.

I said the same thing last year, after they turtled to protect leads against the Jets and Broncos.   And yet the strategy never came back to bite them, and of course it worked yesterday.

15 hours ago, Virgil said:

From week to week under McDermott, I make a comment about the intensity of this team.  Sometimes they show up and others, well......   Today they showed up an in a way that no one saw coming.  And after two straight weeks where the opening drives dictated the flow and momentum of the game, whether it be through penalty or broken play, this week was no different; except for it being in the Bills favor

1 - Allen - I've really took some shots at Allen last week and I'm happy to go the other way this week.  For clarity, these comments are always about the week and only that week.  I want the kid to succeed more than anyone else and this game would make you think he could.  I only have a few things I would like to see improve next week, but he overall played an amazing game.  His touch passes this week were dramatically improved from last week and his accuracy as well.  His first TD pass, albeit wide open, was a pass he may have missed last week.  His two TD runs were a display of his size and athleticism.  On the flip side, not entirely his fault each time, I'd like to see him connect on a deep ball.  He's a little sloppy holding the ball when the pressure is coming.  But to end it on a good note; his dump off pass to Ivory was beautiful.  He stepped away from the pressure, created time, found Ivory, and placed it perfectly.  That was easily my offensive play of the game.  Oh yeah, and if he tries to jump over Barr again, someone needs to slap some sense into him.

2 - Hughes - If he's not the defensive MVP, it's close with Milano.  Hughes played out of his mind today.  He was our Mack today and did everything you'd want him to do.  His strip sacks were as important to the outcome of this game as anything else and he didn't slow down.  He killed multiple drives today and had Cousins jittery all day.   Fantastic day

3 - Milano - I can't remember seeing a game where Milano was more hyped up than today.  He wasn't just all over the field, he was laying the wood.  I mean, WOW.  If this is the type of player he's going to be, then we are all set for years to come at OLB.  I was just thinking about how we haven't brought in an INT all season and then one literally fell into his lap.  He was great in coverage as well against the run.  Like the rest of the D, just fantastic.

4 - The hardest skill to acquire in this sport is the one where you compete all out, give it all you have, and you are still getting beat no matter what you do. When you have the killer instinct to fight through that, it is very special.

5 - Edmunds - There's been a few threads and call outs about Edmunds being slow and hesitant.  Not today.  While he didn't make any game changing plays, he was overall solid today.  He was fast, quick to the ball, decisive, and overall showed glimpses of what a first round pick should become.  Great game for him and freed up a lot of other guys to make plays

6 - Overall Defense - When you are pitching a shutout for as long as we did, especially after the first two games, it's hard to not focus on them so much.  The intensity we saw from the second half of the Charges game carried over into a tough stadium.  I was impressed by how loud that crowd was to start the game and we shut them up.  The push up the middle and overall pass rush was something we've been waiting for all season.  Even Kyle was having his way today.  We even sent some LB's on blitzes today to mix it up.  Until the game was well in hand, we showed a lot of different fronts and were able to generate pressure.  Tre White was solid breaking up some passes, even on his BS penalty.  With the turmoil at the DB position, it just goes to show what a solid pass rush can cover up.  Overall, if this is how our defense is going to play, we are in good shape.

7 - WR's - I was going to make a point about Zay and Kelvin, but why waste the space.  Kelvin's drop on the second drive led to his temporary benching and I was happy to see it.  He needs to realize how little he's proved and his next contract is getting smaller by the game.  With Zay being our #2, we didn't hear his name called until the 3rd quarter.  For us to score like we did without any contributions from these two guys was an interesting point for me.  I'm not sure where we go from here with these guys, but McD needs to figure it out.

8 - Daboll - Another guy I've dogged this season.  His playcalling today was impressive.  His screen passes, quick outs, and even deep shots were well timed.  He knew when to mix in the run game and overall called a pretty perfect game.  Take some drops out of the equation and this game is even more of a blowout.  We were smart, effective, and overall a solid offense out there with limit weapons.  I hope to see more of this.

9 - Special Teams - Outside of one poor punt, much better performance today from our punter.  Good to see after the past few weeks.  Maybe there's hope yet.  Hauschka was fantastic all day and hit with ease.  Coverage on punts and kick-offs didn't give away dumb yards as we have in previous games.  Solid grade here as well.

10 - McDermott - Just when people started to question him as a coach, he pulls you back in.  The team was ready, came out strong, didn't fade out, didn't make mistakes or get comfortable.  This is the team we were hoping to see today and his players really showed up for him.  My biggest question is, will we continue to see this up and down performance this year or can he get these guys on the same page week to week.  I don't expect blow outs nor do I expect playoffs, but coming out flat like we did the last two weeks was unacceptable.  If we can win this game on the road without Shady and the other injuries, then there's no excuse to not be competitive from here on out.

Today felt good.  I think we all needed it.  To have the penalties and other things go our way and now squander it was a testament to the process and what we are trying to achieve.  It goes to show that the NFL is different week to week and we are capable of playing with anyone.  This Vikings team is as solid as they come in the league and we blew them out in their stadium.  Enjoy the week everyone knowing what we can do.

Go Bills!

Wow.  Great analysis.   Thank you for those thoughts. 

I was in awe of the way the bills played today.  It is going to be interesting to see if this level of intensity can be sustained going forward.  I am also looking forward to see if Dabol can continue to mix up game plans for Allen to keep the league guessing.   

Go Bills!

1 minute ago, B Fan in LA said:

I think this game illustrates the remarkable difference COACHING makes to a teams performance.

The first game and a half, we looked totally unorganized, dazed, and confused.

McD took over the D at half time last week, and viola !

The Bills certainly looked a mess in their first 2.5 games, but Frazier called the D yesterday fwiw. 

31 minutes ago, B Fan in LA said:

I think this game illustrates the remarkable difference COACHING makes to a teams performance.

The first game and a half, we looked totally unorganized, dazed, and confused.

McD took over the D at half time last week, and viola !

Oh and Coach McD handed defense back to DC and voilà and entire Defense played better not just backs without the quitter.

33 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The Bills certainly looked a mess in their first 2.5 games, but Frazier called the D yesterday fwiw. 

2.5 games? so only prevent defense was only part of Bills which was not a mess?  i think you meant 1.5 games.

On 9/23/2018 at 5:13 PM, GunnerBill said:

Pass protection was pretty good again. One of the two sacks was a TE whiff but generally thought our OL had another respectable day. Dion is worrying me though. Seems to lack some power compared to last year. 

i wondered if he is nursing an injury. it was noticeable and he does not look quite right

9 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

It feels SO DAMN GOOD to be celebrating a big win on this fine Monday?

Yes Indeedy it sure does !!

and what a win it was !