Josh Gordon to be released-now traded to PATS

Kirby Jackson

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He can be a really interesting guy and not a jerk, but if he can’t control his addiction and be all in and all there for his team, he isn’t very valuable as a football player

I’m sure it’s not the same folks, but I’m amused that people complain about Watkins (always hurt) and Clay (disappears except against Miami) and Benjamin (appears occasionally when he feels energized or something) but want to bring in a guy who hasn’t been there for his team except sporadically.  How would that differ?

I don't see a single parallel to the complaints about these players and the suggestion to trade for Gordon at a very low cost. 

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

Of course and you are correct.  The question with Gordon is the what if.

The what if is gone in my opinion. Hes 27yrs old. He has played 11 football games in 4 years. Thats brutally bad. 

1. Physically, what kind of football shape is he in? He hasnt played a full season his entire nfl career. He would never get through a 16game season this season without sustaining nagging injuries. 

2. Mentally, what state is he in? Thats an even bigger question mark. 

There are both physical and mental concerns. Hes not 22/23 anymore. The what if’s were valid 3 years ago. The ship has sailed on this guy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Correct.  That's why you trade for a player before he's released.  

You said you don't trade for a player who's about to be released.  In the scenario where you want the player you do.  

I said quote “you don’t trade for a player who is released” end quote

If it’s true the Browns plan to carry him on the roster until Monday, then yes, they can field calls from suckers ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^ other teams

If he's released, he will qualify as an unrestricted FA & not have to go through waivers due to meeting the veteran requirements.

He'd definitely be worth pursuing in that case, as we can negotiate a contract with incentives & stipulations that protect us if he falters in any way. Little risk, plenty of room for reward.

Edited by BigDingus

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Nathan Peterman and his squeaky clean attitude is worthless at the NFL level too. That's why they can just be on a zero tolerance policy with him. He's not going to ruin the team or locker room. If the one out of ten or twenty possibilities hits, we win the lotto. I wouldn't bet on Josh Gordon. But the Bills are a better bet to win with Josh Gordon than without him because our WR are the very worst in the league.

No one cares about Nathan Peterman. At a minimum hes a body. Hes available in case of injury. Josh Gordon isnt even that.

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

He'd definitely be worth pursuing in that case, as we can negotiate a contract with incentives & stipulations that protect us if he falters in any way. Little risk, plenty of room for reward.

This would be the only way I'd have interest.

• Like (+1) 1

He isnt going to make it to Monday. Browns will sell him there are already teams calling

about a Trade 

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)
Multiple league sources believe the Browns will trade WR Josh Gordon before they release him by the Monday date they announced they would let him go.
Edited by MAJBobby

5 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

This would be the only way I'd have interest.

Exactly. All upside at that point, you just have to hope no other team tries to trade for him before Monday. If he hits the open market, we can dictate the terms & protect ourselves. From there  it'd be up to him if he wants to accept them, but at least it gives us a chance.

Edited by BigDingus

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If we’re fantasizing, can we put Larry Fitz and Andre Reed into the dream?

I am not sure why you are trolling this thread. But Bryant and Gordon are actually players who are available on the market. Not sure why the sarcastic insane comparison to a retired player. 

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

Exactly. All upside at that point, you just have to hope no other team tries to trade for him before Monday. If he hits the open market, we can dictate the terms & protect ourselves. At that point it'd be up to him if he wants to accept them, but at least it gives us a chance.

You trade for him whats the down side. His contract is not guaranteed so can walk away at any time. He is not getting released he will be traded a ton of interest already 

Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's not  vested. 

He is 

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)
Teams already calling the Browns, who league sources believe are far more likely to trade Josh Gordon than release him.

Gordon is a vested vet and is not subject to waivers. So if he is cut, he is a free agent and can sign where he wants, for what he wants.

A lot at stake.

5 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I am not sure why you are trolling this thread. But Bryant and Gordon are actually players who are available on the market. Not sure why the sarcastic insane comparison to a retired player. 

I consider the notion of Dez and Josh Gordon catching bombs from Allen on a regular basis to be similar in likelihood to my sarcastic insane comparison

Your mileage may vary, and for all I know Beane is one of those guys working the phone alluded to by Schefter

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

You trade for him whats the down side. His contract is not guaranteed so can walk away at any time. He is not getting released he will be traded a ton of interest already 

The down side IMO is while our personnel guys and coaches are focused on bringing in long-shot high-ceiling low probability guys, they’re not looking hard for and bringing in practice squad or FA guys who might actually contribute something.

1 hour ago, x-BillzeBubba said:

Poor Browns... they were really high on him

I'll let myself out

haha --- superbowl dreams up in smoke.

According to MacBeane "We will continue to look through the weeds in our search for top quality talent.  We shall leave no stone unturned.  Building a roster is not pot luck. "

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I consider the notion of Dez and Josh Gordon catching bombs from Allen on a regular basis to be similar in likelihood to my sarcastic insane comparison

Your mileage may vary, and for all I know Beane is one of those guys working the phone alluded to by Schefter

The down side IMO is while our personnel guys and coaches are focused on bringing in long-shot high-ceiling low probability guys, they’re not looking hard for and bringing in practice squad or FA guys who might actually contribute something.

So no downside to making this specific trade minue losing the pick you give up if it doesnt work out. 

9 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

No one cares about Nathan Peterman. At a minimum hes a body. Hes available in case of injury. Josh Gordon isnt even that.

Josh Gordon made a great twisting sideline TD catch with two minutes to go to tie the Steelers on a pass from Tyrod Taylor last week. With no preseason or training camp. What are you talking about?

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/can-t-miss-play-josh-gordon-pulls-in-acrobatic-td-catch-to-tie-game

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Josh Gordon made a great twisting sideline TD catch with two minutes to go to tie the Steelers on a pass from Tyrod Taylor last week. With no preseason or training camp. What are you talking about?

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/can-t-miss-play-josh-gordon-pulls-in-acrobatic-td-catch-to-tie-game

Not to mention Logged 68 snaps coming back from a hammy and limited offseason work 

48 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

100% need to put in a waiver claim. 

Robert Foster isn't an NFL calibre player and Josh Gordon would represent a real threat defenses have to scheme for. He's an elite deep threat who Josh Allen would thrive at throwing the ball to. 

Not subject to waivers.

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

What a waste.

6 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

In only 5 games last year, and on the freaking Browns (with god knows who passing to him), he had more receiving yards than any WR on our team other than Deonte Thompson... and the last time he played most of the season, he lead the league with over 1,600 yards. 

At least he has done something in his career, whether he underachieved & screwed everything up or not. He can at least point to on-field success. And even if we only had him for half the season, it's better than having him for 0. 

There's absolutely no way if he becomes a free agent that the Bills would sign him to some long term, guaranteed contract. It'd be littered with incentives & protection clauses to cover themselves in case he gets suspended or injured again. All upside.

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's not  vested. 

Yes, he is.

In all seriousness, what do we have to lose?  Our reputation?  We are the laughing stock of the league.  Is Zay a "high character" guy who fits the "process"?

IMO.. Im not so sure Mc Clappy hasn't already lost this locker room.  I guess we will find out how prepared they appear tomorrow but I have serious reservations.

I am thinking Gordon could be an instant upgrade to the absolute trash receiving corps the process guys have fielded to date.

Seriously, what do we have to lose

We have a tall slow guy in his contract year that doesn't want to try, a guy who catches with the back of his hands like a sea lion who had to literally be talked off a ledge, another tall guy whose very best quality as a WR is he's good on special teams, a 6th round rookie who's hurt and a guy who didn't even start in college.

Yeah, we don't need Josh freakin' Gordon. He'd ruin the WR room if not the whole team!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, wppete said:

Apparently he showed up to practice late Saturday and either Drunk or High. Dont think McBean would be going for that. Not going to happen.

He showed up a little late with a hammy inj and someone said he is not himself so that means drunk or high now?

1 minute ago, x-BillzeBubba said:

Yes please