Josh Gordon to be released-now traded to PATS

Kirby Jackson

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

If anything, they should just give him to the Bills for "past considerations" for taking Corey Coleman off their hands.

They gave us a 3rd for Tyrod !@#$ing Taylor.  They don't owe us a nickel!

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

We tried to get Martavis Bryant don't forget, guys. Not like we haven't tried to get a druggie before.

They should sign him too. Contract wouldnt be guaranteed. And just cut him if this rumored suspension ever comes down. 

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Kelvin Benjamin, Dez Bryant and Josh Gordon sound better than Kevin Benjamin, Zay Jones and Andre Holmes, but we know that will never happen because they aren’t “McDermott kind of guys”. 

...I'd take Benjamin FRANKLIN, ANITA Bryant and FLASH Gordon FIRST...................

5 hours ago, Pete said:

This team needs a #1 WR and new oline  more than anything.  I am guessing there are only 10 or so true #1 WRs in NFL- they are very rare.  If Gordon could stay sober, he would be a gift and immediately make our offense much better.  Buffalo needs Gordon

i might ask, does Gordon need Buffalo? the answer to that could very well determine whether or not he will be successful in his next stop.

outside of that one caveat, i would say the rest of your post is 1000% spot on. i wouldn't mind seeing the Josh & Josh show for the next 7/8 years.

Edited by Foxx

27 minutes ago, LEBills said:

He signed back with the Raiders 

When?? I must have missed that. Yep I did miss that. Just checked their roster he is back on it. Must have been after contracts no longer guaranteed 

Edited by MAJBobby

The guy hasn't played anywhere close to a full season in five years, during which time he repeatedly fell on and off the wagon. That's FIVE YEARS to prove he's worth hanging onto, and when he finally gets back on the field, he screws it all up immediately. Seven years in the league, with one great season, one good season, and five eggs laid. What's left to learn about this guy? Why in God's name would you think he's worth trading for? 

Edited by skibum

3 minutes ago, skibum said:

The guy hasn't played anywhere close to a full season in five years, during which time he repeatedly fell on and off the wagon. That's FIVE YEARS to prove he's worth hanging onto, and when he finally gets back on the field, he screws it all up immediately. Seven years in the league, with one great season, one good season, and five eggs laid. What's left to learn about this guy? Why in God's name would you think he's worth trading for? 

Because right now the Bills are totally f’d in the a.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, skibum said:

Again, if you get 8 games out of him for a day three pick and 700k in salary you may have already won the trade. We would be looking at getting as close to 13-14 games out of him not 6 years 

Its not about proving he can be the answer long term. What he has proven though is with erratic qb play, and no weapons around him, he can step in and be hugely impactful with Little to no practice time with the team. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, skibum said:

...ELEVEN games since 2014......Career earnings of $6.081 million for 41 games....$148,000 per game.....now that's value.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...ELEVEN games......Career earnings of $6.081 million....$552,818 per game.......

Hah!

Another modern athlete who will retire a very wealthy man, despite having done absolutely nothing for his entire career.

The NHL is filled with such athletes now.

Just now, Fadingpain said:

Hah!

Another modern athlete who will retire a very wealthy man, despite having done absolutely nothing for his entire career.

The NHL is filled with such athletes now.

...my apology....I screwed up....ELEVEN games since 2014.......41 for his career which is $148,000 per game...better yet is 180 career receptions or $33,783 per catch......Browns spent more for babysitting and Excedrin on this clown........

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...my apology....I screwed up....ELEVEN games since 2014.......41 for his career which is $148,000 per game...better yet is 180 career receptions or $33,783 per catch......Browns spent more for babysitting and Excedrin on this clown........

Honestly, for 6m the browns probably still got decent value outside of the frustration/embarrassment. The production was well worth 6m. We are giving 4m to kerley and Coleman for 1 game combined.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Honestly, for 6m the browns probably still got decent value outside of the frustration/embarrassment. The production was well worth 6m. We are giving 4m to kerley and Coleman for 1 game combined.

...thanks for THAT painful reminder....nice work if you can get it.............

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

And if you trade for him, lets say a 6th or 7th rd pick, his salary is already being paid for by the Browns and even if you get half a season of production, you could argue it's more than you would get from those picks.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...thanks for THAT painful reminder....nice work if you can get it.............

Right? But even beyond our situation... would you rather 1 year out of allen hurns, John Ross or amendola (as random names getting 5-6m this year), vs just stashing a guy like Gordon as someone you don’t count on but shows up occasionally for his entire career to date?

It’s like 690k in salary to take him for the rest of this year. How many solidly really good games do you need for that and a 5 to be worthwhile? Like 4? 8? Hell has benjamin cracked 40 yards more than once for us? And he cost way more in cash and picks theoretically 

4 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

And if you trade for him, lets say a 6th or 7th rd pick, his salary is already being paid for by the Browns and even if you get half a season of production, you could argue it's more than you would get from those picks.

Exactly. I won’t be upset by any day 3 pick really. If he goes for a day 2 you are starting to see an actual opportunity cost in picking him up and that’s where risk starts to kick in

6 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

the Browns paying his salary for the rest of the year is not a given, it depends on the terms of the trade does it not?

7 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Exactly. I won’t be upset by any day 3 pick really. If he goes for a day 2 you are starting to see an actual opportunity cost in picking him up and that’s where risk starts to kick in

4 Reasons you trade for Gordon Immediately. 

1.  Josh Allen Development 

2.  Elite WR when on field for 700k and no Future long term risk. 

3.  Stays on field, he is an RFA next year so Low Tender him. Someone Offers a LTD take the 2nd rounder and run. 

4. Josh Allen Development 

a good progressive FO looks at number three alone and makes the trade. The issue is Bills have never proven to be a good progressive FO. 

Edited by MAJBobby

Just now, Foxx said:

the Browns paying his salary for the rest of the year is not a given, it depends on the terms of the trade does it not?

He's a vested vet, his salary was guaranteed when he played week one and the Browns are on the hook for it. It's not a lot of money anyways, vet minimum I believe. 

Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

He's a vested vet, his salary was guaranteed when he played week one and the Browns are on the hook for it. It's not a lot of money anyways, vet minimum I believe. 

790k. Less than what we are paying Kerley NOT to play for the Bills 

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Kelvin Benjamin, Dez Bryant and Josh Gordon sound better than Kevin Benjamin, Zay Jones and Andre Holmes, but we know that will never happen because they aren’t “McDermott kind of guys”. 

A player in self-preservation mode in his contract year,  another well past his best days, and a player with no love for the game who can’t get it together and is one mistake away from another season long suspension. Doesn’t sound better from where I sit. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

That's with any job, if you're made the boss you bring in guys you trust (coaches) and you bring in employees you hand pick (players) to make the place run how you see fit correct? I don't think The coach or GM here got rid of players just because they were Whaley's players I think he got rid of them because they  either didn't fit their scheme (Darby/the ILB that went to KC) or because of personality and overpayment (WR Woods, WR Watkins, DT Dareus), just my opinion though.

Any job?  No.   I guess there are businesses where employees are a dime a dozen and you can easily recruit replacements, but in others, the boss needs a management team and employees with unique sets of experience and skills that are challenging to recruit and replace.  Hiring new senior employees can be expensive, because if there isn't sufficient local talent pool, the company has to pay to relocate them.  If they fire senior people with contracts, they may have to pay severance.  It's also disruptive, because new employees need to come up to speed on the ongoing projects and the company's systems.  So being able to effectively manage and utilize the skills of existing employees to best advantage is a highly valued trait in a new boss and it's relatively rare that a new boss gets carte blanche to fire everyone and bring in his new peeps.  1 or 2, maybe.

Football differs in that the new coach and coordinators bring the schemes they want to run with them (less need to come up to speed), but the part about requiring skill that's challenging to recruit and replace 100% holds true for the NFL - overall, the draft has something like >40% bust rate for all teams, maybe more like 50%-66% in the 1st round/high 2nd round and 5-10% in the 5-7th round.  Even skilled scouts can't always tell which guys will take that step up to the pros or have the work ethic or heart once they're being paid.  For trades/FA they can't always tell which guys just looked good in the context of the trading team and will fall off in production on their new team (Haynesworth etc)

So overall, my opinion is it's a bad plan to wipe the slate entirely clean of guys who have shown they have NFL-level talent until you have their replacements in hand, and even there, if they're replacements and not clear upgrades, think twice.  The other factor is the reason NFL tanks are dangerous - losing gets to be a habit, just like anything else a team does, and if guys prep hard and get their asses whipped week after week they inevitably start to check out.

I guess we'll find out if my opinion has something to it or not, based on how our beloved Bills perform over the next 2-3 seasons.

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Forward Salary is never paid by the old team. But his salary is 790k. Prorate 2 games already paid by the browns it’s like 690k we would pay.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

so, what happened with Dareus' salary?

Just now, NoSaint said:

Forward Salary is never paid by the old team. But his salary is 790k. Prorate 2 games already paid by the browns it’s like 690k we would pay.

correct.